Out of the Blue

Apologies if you experienced problems reaching us this morning. A network issue came up at our host in the wee hours, and it took a fair bit of time to get it all cleared up. We were experiencing over 90% packet loss, but now it's down to a normal 1% or so. Thank you to Frans for discovering the situation and alerting our host, and hats off to the engineers who got this all straightened out.

Obituary: Bernie Madoff dies: Mastermind of the nation's biggest investment fraud was 82.

Packets of Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Follow-ups

View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 15, 2021, 14:04
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2021, 14:04
Apr 15, 2021, 14:04

Your comment has me confused, Redeye. I suggest there was some other contributing factor to his suicide and you link an article about how there was not an epidemic of suicides in 1929 and say:

So what about all those people that didn't jump after the great stock market crash of 1929.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 15, 2021, 10:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2021, 10:24
Apr 15, 2021, 10:24

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 15, 2021, 09:23:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 15, 2021, 09:14:
Something I didn't know was his Whistleblower son committed suicide 2 years after whistle blowing? Now i'm just interested in seeing this whole story.. like was he super pissed at dad one day and decided to fuck up the family?

Son also had 4 kids.. they would trade all the money in the world for their dad back.
If you are implying Bernie got caught because of his son, it isn't the story we have been told. Supposedly the 2007/2008 mess made it impossible for Bernie to continue the ruse. So he supposed confessed to his sons, the sons reportedly contacted the authorities immediately. Now, how much did they know? *shrug* I'm sure it will be debated for years to come.

Odds are something else was going on with the son who committed suicide. While going from uber rich to bankruptcy is a real kick in the teeth, I don't think it would be enough for most people to commit suicide, at least IMHO. Definitely a raw deal for the son's kids.
https://www.history.com/news/stock-market-crash-suicides-wall-street-1929-great-depression

So what about all those people that didn't jump after the great stock market crash of 1929.

If the son had any empathy he would have been overcome with grief from all the people that lost their life savings etc.
I doubt I would be able to live with that knowing I had been part of it whether I had been privy to the details or completely oblivious.

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Apr 15, 2021, 09:23
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2021, 09:23
Apr 15, 2021, 09:23

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 15, 2021, 09:14:
Something I didn't know was his Whistleblower son committed suicide 2 years after whistle blowing? Now i'm just interested in seeing this whole story.. like was he super pissed at dad one day and decided to fuck up the family?

Son also had 4 kids.. they would trade all the money in the world for their dad back.
If you are implying Bernie got caught because of his son, it isn't the story we have been told. Supposedly the 2007/2008 mess made it impossible for Bernie to continue the ruse. So he supposed confessed to his sons, the sons reportedly contacted the authorities immediately. Now, how much did they know? *shrug* I'm sure it will be debated for years to come.

Odds are something else was going on with the son who committed suicide. While going from uber rich to bankruptcy is a real kick in the teeth, I don't think it would be enough for most people to commit suicide, at least IMHO. Definitely a raw deal for the son's kids.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 15, 2021, 09:14
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2021, 09:14
Apr 15, 2021, 09:14

El Pit wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 13:48:
Right now in hell...
Bernie: Satan, I got a business proposal for you. Devil

Apr 15, 2021, 05:23
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2021, 05:23
Apr 15, 2021, 05:23

Come on, who wants to be a cop if other options exist ?

There are those genuinely motivated to be of service to others, at least initially.
Or else the allure of being a figure of authority.
And some are attracted to being badasses and embodying the law, service be damned, and maybe finally do whatever they want, mostly unaccountable.

But I suspect many cops are under-performing types than couldn't keep a simple normal job, thus resorting to what's available for their ability level.

Too much dumbassery unexplained otherwise.

Apr 15, 2021, 03:45
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2021, 03:45
Apr 15, 2021, 03:45

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 14:17:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

.... snip for pertinence ....
This officer made a mistake during normal office hours.
People make mistakes, something has to be figured out so events like this don’t happen in the future.
Whether it’s putting the firearm on the non-dominant side, changing what a taser looks like (there is no need for it to even remotely resemble a handgun or more training)
But even after doing all that there will still be accidents and mistakes, People are not infallible.

Pretty much agree 100% it was sad and the body cam footage captures her shock at the situation. Overall a bad situation especially with the trial of George Floyd going on at the same time.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2021, 03:59.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Apr 15, 2021, 03:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2021, 03:24
Apr 15, 2021, 03:24

Damn, MeanJim and Steelcamp hope you guys are ok.

jdreyer, I noticed that too about it being so quick against a woman. Think she was on the force for 20 years (or I'm just confusing so many cops killing ) .
I can't think of any veteran on the force that would mistake a Tazer for a firearm. Or not know how to handle minor issue like, afaik he was just struggling
not trying to fight back against them. Personally, I think the problem will turn out to be, she has some history they found that associates her with white
supremacy. It's really the only thing that makes sense, at least in my mind.
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Apr 14, 2021, 22:00
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 22:00
Apr 14, 2021, 22:00

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 16:39:
https://www.insider.com/daunte-wright-details-of-charges-warrants-before-killed-by-police-2021-4

When the facts don’t meet your narrative.

sigh

prior acts should have nothing to do with it. the right wing nutjobs do this everytime an unarmed black man is killed by police - they defend it by character assassinating the victim with past criminality. the ONLY thing that should matter is whether the victim was an imminent threat to others at the time the trigger was pulled. in almost all these cases the answer is a clear 'NO'. a years old felony that's already been adjudicated should not be a death sentence. there's NO excuse for these murders.

i had a heated debate with my gop friends at work, and when i cornered him beyond the strawman attacks and asked him if these victims were imminent threats to anyone, he gave me the saddest 'no' in history. he REALLY didn't want to admit that his vicious right wing narrative was a lie.

Apr 14, 2021, 19:54
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 19:54
Apr 14, 2021, 19:54

Steelcamp wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 18:12:
More on Vaccine: I got my 2nd Pfizer dose last Tuesday and ended up in the emergency room the next morning. low BP and passed out.
Dang! I hope you're feeling better.

A woman passed out in the after-shot waiting area when I got my first Pfizer dose. It was at a university hospital so she was quickly surrounded by over a dozen doctors and interns. When they wheeled her out on a gurney, she looked alert. I wonder if that was BP related and/or if it's a known side-effect.

In any event, I got my second Pfizer shot on Apr 7th. Other than feeling somewhat cruddy for a couple of days, it was way better than my experience with the Shingles vaccine shots.
I got nothin'.

Apr 14, 2021, 19:05
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 19:05
Apr 14, 2021, 19:05

More on Vaccine: I got my 2nd Pfizer dose last Tuesday and ended up in the emergency room the next morning. low BP and passed out.

Damn I take it you're ok? What Vax did ya have and what was the conclusion of what caused it?

Going for my 2nd Pfizer tomorrow. So no antibodies, day 1 I was fine for about an hour or 2 then it got to the point it felt like someone pushed me down my stairs, and day 2 was like a severe hangover. I feel like being on Press your Luck... NO BLOODCLOTS NO BLOODCLOTS NO BLOODCLOTS! *slams button*

Apr 14, 2021, 18:39
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 18:39
Apr 14, 2021, 18:39

Related? Or coincidence? Can I ask what the doctors said? I get my second Pfizer dose on Sunday, and my wife a couple weeks after that.

Luckily I live a block from the hospital so if I do pass out, my wife won't have very far to carry me.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Apr 14, 2021, 18:12
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 18:12
Apr 14, 2021, 18:12

-------------------------------------------
Where's my BB gun?

Apr 14, 2021, 17:36
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 17:36
Apr 14, 2021, 17:36

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 15:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 15:09:
She’s going to be charged with second-degree manslaughter for mistaking her firearm with a taser and taking a man’s life.
I’ve aborted a production tool with product when I meant to abort an idle tool that I was taking down for maintenance. It was 3 AM, I didn’t double check the tool number nor did I double check the recipe that it was running. I fucked up. No lives were lost.
Chernobyl and Three Mile Island both occurred late night or early morning.
People make mistakes, something has to be figured out so events like this don’t happen in the future.
Whether it’s putting the firearm on the non-dominant side, changing what a taser looks like (there is no need for it to even remotely resemble a handgun or more training)
But even after doing all that there will still be accidents and mistakes, People are not infallible.
So typically in these kinds of cases, grand juries are reticent to even indict, never mind that juries are almost always vote to acquit in these kinds of cases. However, one thing I've noticed is that in a few of these high profile cases, charges have been brought against the police officer when it has been a woman. Are there any stats about indicting police officers for excessive force men vs. women?

Can you elaborate on "typical" and "in these kinds of cases" please?
High profile police shootings of unarmed people.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Apr 14, 2021, 16:39
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 16:39
Apr 14, 2021, 16:39

https://www.insider.com/daunte-wright-details-of-charges-warrants-before-killed-by-police-2021-4

When the facts don’t meet your narrative.

sigh
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Apr 14, 2021, 16:33
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 16:33
Apr 14, 2021, 16:33

Given the fact she was dealing with a career violent criminal who was in breach of his parole and armed when he shouldn't have been she can be forgiven for making a mistake with said criminal with a warrant out for armed robbery and assault - of a woman - who was resisting arrest. He brought it on himself.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Apr 14, 2021, 16:30
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 16:30
Apr 14, 2021, 16:30

Cool beans, got my carbon steel wok today. Going to make a stir fry with it tomorrow. Really nice looking.

Couple weeks back got a tempered glass chair mat for my computer chair. Really nice as well. Works amazingly well with the in-line skate wheels on my office chair. Way better than the plastic mats.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Apr 14, 2021, 15:37
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 15:37
Apr 14, 2021, 15:37

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 15:09:
She’s going to be charged with second-degree manslaughter for mistaking her firearm with a taser and taking a man’s life.
I’ve aborted a production tool with product when I meant to abort an idle tool that I was taking down for maintenance. It was 3 AM, I didn’t double check the tool number nor did I double check the recipe that it was running. I fucked up. No lives were lost.
So typically in these kinds of cases, grand juries are reticent to even indict, never mind that juries are almost always vote to acquit in these kinds of cases. However, one thing I've noticed is that in a few of these high profile cases, charges have been brought against the police officer when it has been a woman. Are there any stats about indicting police officers for excessive force men vs. women?

Can you elaborate on "typical" and "in these kinds of cases" please?

Apr 14, 2021, 15:36
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 15:36
Apr 14, 2021, 15:36

Guinness World Record's biggest rabbit stolen from home as police hunt for culprit.

Jeez that rabbit is huge. It looks like they took a capibara and pasted rabbit ears on it.

Apr 14, 2021, 15:34
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 15:34
Apr 14, 2021, 15:34

Is there a Lost and Found for packets?

Apr 14, 2021, 15:09
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2021, 15:09
Apr 14, 2021, 15:09

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older