7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Apr 7, 2021, 12:01
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 7, 2021, 12:01
Apr 7, 2021, 12:01

I was aware Oracle and Google were in a battle over some coding thing, but never bothered to look into the details. Assuming your simplified summary is accurate, I'd agree Oracle is whining over something which never should have reached an actual courtroom. Google should make sure then are reimbursed for their legal expenditures.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Supreme Court Rules in Google's Favor in Oracle Copyright Case
Apr 7, 2021, 11:13
Supreme Court Rules in Google's Favor in Oracle Copyright Case Apr 7, 2021, 11:13
Apr 7, 2021, 11:13

The technical aspects of this case have been misconstrued because it's hard for the public to understand it. Google did not 'steal code'. All they did was use standard API labels from Java in order to maintain a standard, as I understand it.

This is as if Google used the table of contents from Oracle's 'book', but the rest of Google's 'book' was a new work. The reason you do this is for compatibility. So everyone who reads the new 'book' understands how to compare each chapter in the two books. Yeah, okay, oversimplification, but that's it in a nutshell. All Google used was Java's framework for API calls, not the actual code. The Supreme Court did the right thing from a technical standpoint. I can't speak to the legal consequences for other works. I'll leave that to copyright lawyers.
- “So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." - Abraham Erskine, 'Captain America: The First Avenger'

Apr 5, 2021, 20:57
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 5, 2021, 20:57
Apr 5, 2021, 20:57

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2021, 16:54:
GPU smugglers to switch to narco subs after failing to get condom-wrapped graphics cards inserted entirely into their rectums.
300 gpu's, that's the equivalent of the Border Patrol in my area capturing 300 lbs of wacky tobacky. Not even a drop in the import bucket.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Re: Colorado Denied Its Citizens the Right-to-Repair After Riveting Testimony.
Apr 5, 2021, 20:43
Re: Colorado Denied Its Citizens the Right-to-Repair After Riveting Testimony. Apr 5, 2021, 20:43
Apr 5, 2021, 20:43

MeanJim wrote on Apr 5, 2021, 14:55:
Translation: "The lobbyist's money was too much to much to pass up."
Remember, corporations are people -- let their voices be heard!
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 5, 2021, 16:54
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 5, 2021, 16:54
Apr 5, 2021, 16:54

GPU smugglers to switch to narco subs after failing to get condom-wrapped graphics cards inserted entirely into their rectums.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Re: Colorado Denied Its Citizens the Right-to-Repair After Riveting Testimony.
Apr 5, 2021, 15:46
Re: Colorado Denied Its Citizens the Right-to-Repair After Riveting Testimony. Apr 5, 2021, 15:46
Apr 5, 2021, 15:46

MeanJim wrote on Apr 5, 2021, 14:55:
After almost three hours of testimony from business leaders, disabled advocates, and a 9-year-old activist, legislators said there were too many unanswered questions and that the proposed law was too broad.
The United States is way beyond that. It's been pointed out before that US citizens have basically no political influence compared to corporations. Those advocates and activists were never even in the game. Citizens, whether liberal or conservative, don't effect change through low-visibility meetings with legislators, but through noisy, high-visibility stunts like social media shitstorms and riots.

Colorado Denied Its Citizens the Right-to-Repair After Riveting Testimony.
Apr 5, 2021, 14:55
Colorado Denied Its Citizens the Right-to-Repair After Riveting Testimony. Apr 5, 2021, 14:55
Apr 5, 2021, 14:55

After almost three hours of testimony from business leaders, disabled advocates, and a 9-year-old activist, legislators said there were too many unanswered questions and that the proposed law was too broad.

"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one. - Mr. Diety
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older