CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game

A CD PROJEKT Group Strategy Update Video outlines the company's plans going forward. This includes details on how CD PROJEKT RED will change its approach to development after the problematic launch of Cyberpunk 2077. President and Joint CEO Adam Kiciński explains that part of this is rethinking CDPR's approach to multiplayer development, and reconsidering the plan to create a separate multiplayer Cyberpunk 2077 game. "Previously we hinted that our next AAA would be a multiplayer Cyberpunk game, but we have decided to reconsider this plan," he explains. "Given our new, more systematic, and agile approach, instead of primarily focusing on one big online experience, or game, we are focusing on bringing online into all of our franchises one day." He then outlines plans to build an online technology which will be seamlessly integrated into all the studios future games.

Towards the beginning Kiciński lays out CDPR's mission statement, which includes the goal of being counted as one of the world's top three video game developers. As for Cyberpunk 2077, he once again admits the launch of the sci-fi RPG failed to meet the company's quality standards, reiterating a commitment to improve going forward. "Today we will discuss the steps we are taking to meet these high standards and deliver on our goals," he explains. "First and foremost, we want to do right by gamers, to ensure we stick to all our values in the future. With that in mind we have created a strategic development framework. This is how we plan to improve and streamline our operations going forward. This includes our approach to game development, as well as our strategies to widen the reach of our franchises." He reveals plans for "RED 2.0" which will include parallel AAA game development "by growing production throughput." This will include both adding developers and increasing efficiency. Adam presents a slide with some high level goals, and the remainder of the video offers details of each of the points. Here are the contents of the slide:

• Further developing a sustainable and caring work environment
  • Redefining and empowering the CTO role
  • Rolling out agile ways of working
  • Centralizing REDengine to serve two franchises
  • Deploying a team of cross-project experts
  • Changing our approach to external communication
  • Scaling up our talent pool.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game
Mar 31, 2021, 14:34
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 14:34
Mar 31, 2021, 14:34

fujiJuice wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 06:44:
Maybe it is just me, but I am reading this as the opposite as everyone else.

He doesn't say they aren't making 2077 multiplayer, just that that is not their primary goal, they are building a framework to support all their properties not just 2077.

As someone already said, crunch times ain't going anywhere.

This seems to be the single only post that actually attempted to discuss the point of this announcement... congratulations!

Yeah looks like they decided that developing MP infrastructure just specifically for Cyberpunk 2077 would be pretty wasteful...
So they're making an announcement that kills two birds with one stone, or maybe just one that attempts to soften the blow:
No more Cyberpunk 2077 MP game (at least not as immediate follow-up to the SP) but instead they'll begin efforts on a multiplayer platform/hub for all of their games.

Point being that making new multiplayer infrastructure is expensive/time-consuming, doing that for a single game (and probably rushed) is wasteful when they have intentions to make more MP games down the line (as part of their effort to apparently be in the top 3 game developers).

Mar 31, 2021, 12:50
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 12:50

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 12:22:
Tried starting a second play through with Patch 1.2. Got to waking up to meet Jackie on the second day and my game hard crashes (4/4) trying to walk past the boxing Arena in V’s apartment building. Back into the game library it goes.

Given the amount of changes in the patch, I'm not surprised. The game probably needs 2 or 3 major patches like this, then they'll need smaller patches to fix the big patches. I'll probably pick this game up sometime in 2022 if not later

Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 12:50

I saw a sneak peek of the multiplayer being developed, and it sounded alright but didn't appear very similar to GTA Online. It looked like players would run missions or heists with other players or in groups, where they would earn experience and coin which they'd use to purchase upgrades or cosmetics. I think the design I saw was based around menus in-between games, like common online titles where when the game ends it dumps you back on the server browser or game finder. This portion of the game was being helmed by a partner company (who CDPR announced they purchased yesterday) so I don't think that CDPR devs were working on this part directly.
ANYWAY, this publicity release doesn't bode well to me. "Increasing efficiency" (work harder peons) "strategies to widen the reach of our franchises" (dumb it down for common consumer) "by growing production throughput." (hire vast armies of interns, acquire dev studios)... it's all a bunch of typical hogwash.
Going forward I'm going to be skeptical of CDPR's outputs just as I'm skeptical of Blizzard, Bethesda, Valve (they kinda did right by Artifact by releasing it for free), Squaresoft, ummmm the dev/publisher behind Tomb Raider... the list goes on.

Mar 31, 2021, 12:22
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 12:22
Mar 31, 2021, 12:22

Tried starting a second play through with Patch 1.2. Got to waking up to meet Jackie on the second day and my game hard crashes (4/4) trying to walk past the boxing Arena in V’s apartment building. Back into the game library it goes.

Mar 31, 2021, 12:14
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 12:14
Mar 31, 2021, 12:14

Philll wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 02:25:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 01:30:
Philll wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 00:59:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 00:11:
GinRummy wrote on Mar 30, 2021, 20:11:
Cyberpunk 2077 + Fallout 76 = CyberFall 2076

Except Cyberpunk 2077 is still a good game at heart. People wanted GTA 2077. What they got was Witcher 1 2077, bugs and all. What did people expect from a new property that's completely different from their old properties?

CDPR, 2018:

“Without a doubt, quality is of paramount importance,” he replied. “We strive to publish games which are as refined as Red Dead Redemption 2, and recent Rockstar releases in general. That game is excellent, by the way, we are rooting for it. Rave reviews, excellent sales.

So with that in mind, why should people have expected anything less?

It is amazing to me that after all this time and all of these issues that anyone would still shill for this company

Saying they want to publish games as refined as someone else's game doesn't mean they want to replicate that games experience. It's aspirational. Every single CDPR game has had issues at launch. This is reality, not shilling. The only people who were fooled by this were the fools who believe that Chevys are literally made from stone because their old marketing slogan was "Like a rock".

Who said they wanted to replicate the experience? You asked what they expected, I gave an example of why people might expect something like a Rockstar game. Straight from the horses mouth.

They said they strived to published games as refined, yet it's literally less refined than a Rockstar game from the PS2 era.

Being that it contains an entire city filled with roads, pedestrians, NPCs you can shoot, stab or otherwise maim, traffic to maneuver around, highways, cars to buy, chases, races, different vehicle types (and so on), third and first person views, beautifully rendered down to the finest detail, functional speedos, animated steering, dialogue that works in first person when you have passengers - just like GTA - it can't exactly be too hard to figure out why comparisons might be drawn, even without taking CDPRs comments into consideration.

The problem with arguing about anything online is that people will try to fall back on any miniscule ambiguity in order to deflect from a glaringly obvious issue. Which is barely why I bother arguing online after ~30 years of seeing the same sort of arguments play out across hundreds of sites. It never changes.

And comparing their first game and its issues from 2007, to a game that cost 300 million dollars 13 years later is utterly facile.

Yes, strive. Strive is aspirational. I strive to be as good of a baseball player as Ted Williams. That doesn't mean I'll ever be Ted Williams. I never will be. He's one of the greatest baseball players ever, just like Rockstar's record places them at the top of that pantheon, but I'll sure try to be as good as him. The game release is on par with prior releases. I don't build my expectations for the next Battlefield game release state off of the last Call of Duty game, I base it off the last few games DICE released. And with that in mind, I know that waiting for customer reviews for CDPR games is the right choice because I'm not a sucker who preorders games from a company known for release day quality issues.

Mar 31, 2021, 11:40
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 11:40
Mar 31, 2021, 11:40

Can you first fix the base game? I'd like to buy it in a rather "complete" state sometime before I die.

Mar 31, 2021, 11:25
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 11:25
Mar 31, 2021, 11:25

I'd actually love to see a campaign co-op experience maybe akin to an Ubi open-world drop in/out type of thing. Seamless co-op integration like Far Cry 5 or The Division 2 would be great for a game like this. I'd much rather have that than single-player only. But if they're thinking of a "Battle Royale" mode, well...

Mar 31, 2021, 11:09
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 11:09
Mar 31, 2021, 11:09

Any news of refunds being possible this late after purchase?

Mar 31, 2021, 10:03
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 10:03
Mar 31, 2021, 10:03

EricFate wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 09:20:
Maybe get the existing game mechanics to work first ... then talk about future ideas to implement. Or better yet, don't talk about them, and then just add them later as a surprise. Not everything has to be a talking point for the marketing department. Marketing is what caused this whole thing to be such a shit show to begin with.

Was coming here to say exactly this. Years ago, I would have defended such an announcement. But now that I have gotten older (and somewhat wiser (maybe)), I can see the error of my ways and understand why companies wait awhile to make announcements like this. Announcing anything like this is a slippery slope, especially for this company trying to recovery from this snafu.

I'd fix the biggest issues, make the game to the standards that made the Witcher very good, regain the trust of your gamers/shareholders, make the announcement, and then maybe hint what you learned and how you plan to avoid the pitfalls in the future.

Mar 31, 2021, 10:00
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 10:00
Mar 31, 2021, 10:00

We will get rid of covid and have Red Dead Online group/solo lobbies before we have cyberpunk online
-------------------------------------------
Where's my BB gun?

Mar 31, 2021, 09:20
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 09:20
Mar 31, 2021, 09:20

Maybe get the existing game mechanics to work first ... then talk about future ideas to implement. Or better yet, don't talk about them, and then just add them later as a surprise. Not everything has to be a talking point for the marketing department. Marketing is what caused this whole thing to be such a shit show to begin with.

Mar 31, 2021, 09:09
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 09:09
Mar 31, 2021, 09:09

I think that's the smart choice. They should instead wait for a Cyberpunk sequel down the road to explore multiplayer once they are more comfortable building in the new IP world they have created.

Mar 31, 2021, 06:44
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 06:44
Mar 31, 2021, 06:44

Maybe it is just me, but I am reading this as the opposite as everyone else.

He doesn't say they aren't making 2077 multiplayer, just that that is not their primary goal, they are building a framework to support all their properties not just 2077.

As someone already said, crunch times ain't going anywhere.

Mar 31, 2021, 06:27
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 06:27
Mar 31, 2021, 06:27

Total Korpo speak intended for Investors and Lenders, pure BS for the rest of us.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Mar 31, 2021, 03:35
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 03:35
Mar 31, 2021, 03:35

TLDR, we fucked up the launch of Cyberpunk 2077, and now we won't make the multiplayer DLC that was promised because we are busy fixing our broken ass game.

Mar 31, 2021, 02:46
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 02:46
Mar 31, 2021, 02:46

The main problem was overpromise and underdeliver, both from baseline. CP77 is a reasonable game, without the hype and promises it would be on par with saints row etc, sure it has scope but also quite lacking. But when you promise so much, you expect that to be there and a whole raft simply wasnt.

The police response alone was laughable. Traffic AI was abysmal etc etc.

In short, they have broke even and should focus on sequel with fixes or DLC with changes and fixes.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mar 31, 2021, 02:25
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 02:25
Mar 31, 2021, 02:25

bhcompy wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 01:30:

Except Cyberpunk 2077 is still a good game at heart. People wanted GTA 2077. What they got was Witcher 1 2077, bugs and all. What did people expect from a new property that's completely different from their old properties?

CDPR, 2018:

“Without a doubt, quality is of paramount importance,” he replied. “We strive to publish games which are as refined as Red Dead Redemption 2, and recent Rockstar releases in general. That game is excellent, by the way, we are rooting for it. Rave reviews, excellent sales.

It is amazing to me that after all this time and all of these issues that anyone would still shill for this company

Saying they want to publish games as refined as someone else's game doesn't mean they want to replicate that games experience. It's aspirational. Every single CDPR game has had issues at launch. This is reality, not shilling. The only people who were fooled by this were the fools who believe that Chevys are literally made from stone because their old marketing slogan was "Like a rock".

Who said they wanted to replicate the experience? You asked what they expected, I gave an example of why people might expect something like a Rockstar game. Straight from the horses mouth.

They said they strived to published games as refined, yet it's literally less refined than a Rockstar game from the PS2 era.

Being that it contains an entire city filled with roads, pedestrians, NPCs you can shoot, stab or otherwise maim, traffic to maneuver around, highways, cars to buy, chases, races, different vehicle types (and so on), third and first person views, beautifully rendered down to the finest detail, functional speedos, animated steering, dialogue that works in first person when you have passengers - just like GTA - it can't exactly be too hard to figure out why comparisons might be drawn, even without taking CDPRs comments into consideration.

The problem with arguing about anything online is that people will try to fall back on any miniscule ambiguity in order to deflect from a glaringly obvious issue. Which is barely why I bother arguing online after ~30 years of seeing the same sort of arguments play out across hundreds of sites. It never changes.

And comparing their first game and its issues from 2007, to a game that cost 300 million dollars 13 years later is utterly facile.

Mar 31, 2021, 02:10
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 02:10
Mar 31, 2021, 02:10

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 00:34:
Sheesh, what do people even want now?

They release a buggy game, people complain.

They patch that game up, and avoid spending resources on an extremely complex project that would have probably just disappointed people anyway, and that the core audience of CP2077 doesn't even want, people still complain.

They lay out plans to try to avoid crunch in the future, people complain.

Are you new here or something?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 31, 2021, 01:30
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 01:30
Mar 31, 2021, 01:30

CDPR, 2018:

Mar 31, 2021, 00:59
Re: CDPR Reconsidering Multiplayer Cyberpunk Game Mar 31, 2021, 00:59
Mar 31, 2021, 00:59

CDPR, 2018:

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older