Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Mar 8, 2021, 14:48
Verno

Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 14:48
Mar 8, 2021, 14:48
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 14:14:
Even in the theaters for which the sound mix is designed, the Interstellar dialog was a struggle to hear. It was completely drowned out by the organs. That said, in every interview I've read with him, he's doubled down, so there's little likelihood it will change.

Someone tweaked his nose about the Bane dialogue and its been all downhill since. Someone posted the Tenet waveforms on reddit and a few sound engineers analyzed them, the mixing seemed borderline unprofessional and ironically his mixer is an Oscar/BAFTA winner. There was speculation it was camera noise and due to the lockdown and the way Nolan refuses to loop dialogue, it produced some awful results that they couldn't fix in post. Anyways reviewers rightfully took him to task over it with Tenet so hopefully the industry puts some pressure on him to knock it off.

Nolan also admitted in a 2017 interview with IndieWire that his team decided “a couple of films ago that we weren’t going to mix films for substandard theaters,” adding, “We’re mixing for well-aligned, great theaters.”

Which basically means he's mixing for no one at this point. I appreciate his commitment to the traditional cinema experience but this is the wrong way to go about it.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Mar 8, 2021, 14:20
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 14:20
Mar 8, 2021, 14:20

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 13:25:
Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 13:22:
To make it truly effective it has to be considered during the development of the film. I've seen a handful of movies where that was the case and 3D was indeed a transformative part of the experience.
Out of curiosity and for the record, name two.
Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon. CG flicks especially are easy to adapt due to the technology. But it also requires the director to do a bit of thinking and not give in to the temptation of sticking things into the viewer's face.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Mar 8, 2021, 14:14
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 14:14
Mar 8, 2021, 14:14

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 11:21:
Christopher Nolan -> deliberately does his sound like that, apparently whatever his sound mixing is, doesn't translate well to home theater setups usually, and the dialogue is inaudible. It infuriates me, but he will probably do that for the rest of his career.

Even in the theaters for which the sound mix is designed, the Interstellar dialog was a struggle to hear. It was completely drowned out by the organs. That said, in every interview I've read with him, he's doubled down, so there's little likelihood it will change.
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Mar 8, 2021, 14:06
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 14:06
Mar 8, 2021, 14:06

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 08:20:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 07:40:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 06:38:
Also, I am most likely never setting foot inside of a theater ever again,...
Because? Cost? Health related? The frequency of my theater visits over the years has certainly decreased. Basically for two reasons, first I now subscribe to movie channels like Starz, Showtime, etc. second as the price has gone up the value of it has gone down. That said, there are some films which really "deserve" to be seen on a screen that big, so I imagine I'll continue going occasionally once the pandemic clears, obviously.

The global pandemic, you may have heard of it.

Seriously though, even post vaccination, assuming I can get vaccinated this year, in this shitshow of a state, I don't feel as though the reward outweighs the risk of sitting in people's exhalations for 2-3 hours.

We're probably well on our way in the USA to a new strain outbreak, either UK or South African or Brazilian variants of COVID19, and the country still has 70,000 new infections a day? Assuming people are even getting tested widely in every state, the pandemic is not under control, and people are refusing to wear masks, or wear them properly in a lot of the country.

Add in that some movies are going to streaming earlier, and I can watch in the comfort of my own home, with my own food/living room, etc. ... I have less and less interest in ever going back to a theatre, even if COVID19 magically disappears in 2022.
Yeah, with a 4K TV and good sound system, the motivation to go to the theater lessens for sure. If I started going again, I'd definitely wear my N95 mask, even though I would be vaccinated. It's probably the least controversial place to wear a mask since in the dark no one knows one way or the other.
Your choice is clear.

Mar 8, 2021, 13:44
Verno

Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 13:44
Mar 8, 2021, 13:44
 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 13:25:

Off the top of my head, Gravity and Dredd.

There are a bunch we really enjoyed in 3D but it balloons filming budgets and the payoff is rarely worth it from a financial perspective so I understand why it went the way of the dodo.

Mar 8, 2021, 13:25
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 13:25
Mar 8, 2021, 13:25

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 13:22:
To make it truly effective it has to be considered during the development of the film. I've seen a handful of movies where that was the case and 3D was indeed a transformative part of the experience.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Mar 8, 2021, 13:22
Verno

Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 13:22
Mar 8, 2021, 13:22
 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 12:36:
I've always considered 3D as nothing more than, at best, a gimmick. So I ignore those considerations.

To make it truly effective it has to be considered during the development of the film. I've seen a handful of movies where that was the case and 3D was indeed a transformative part of the experience. I've also seen dozens of movies where it made no difference or in some cases was obtrusive in implementation. Unfortunately the glasses are an annoyance and too many movies just don't have the budget for something that most people don't care about.

Mar 8, 2021, 12:36
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 12:36
Mar 8, 2021, 12:36

I've always considered 3D as nothing more than, at best, a gimmick. So I ignore those considerations.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2021, 13:05.

Mar 8, 2021, 11:58
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 11:58
Mar 8, 2021, 11:58

I saw tenet on my big screen and didn’t have any problem with the audio, the problems I had with the movie we’re beyond audio. At home I can rewind and listen again or turn on cc. Those are things you can’t do in a theater. The only advantage I can see a theater having is 3-D, but in all the implementations I’ve seen it’s more of a distraction.
I’ll stick with my home viewing where the only farts I smell are my own, nobody uses their cell phone at full brightness in my line of sight, has a discussion about what’s for dinner or shares crinkly cellophane wrapped sno-caps with their entourage.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Mar 8, 2021, 11:56
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 11:56
Mar 8, 2021, 11:56

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 10:35:
Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 09:16:
Most people have TVs that offer a better picture than theaters,
I'd agree with all of your points except this one. Yes, convenience, cheaper concessions, privacy are all huge bonuses for home viewing. But you'll have to define "better" before I'll agree my 65" 4K TV is better than a theater screen -- especially for things like specialty events with 70mm screenings. And as I mentioned some films "deserve" to be seen on "the big screen". For example, I think you'd agree there would be a significant difference in the experience of your first viewing of Star Wars E4 opening scene between at home in comparison to the theater.

There are exceptions, but most theaters cheap out on even the most basic things. A big issue with 3D movies (well, one big issue) was that each eye only gets 50% the light of usual. Most theaters already ran their projectors below specs. Now the screen went from already dim to way too dim.

Mar 8, 2021, 11:38
Verno

Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 11:38
Mar 8, 2021, 11:38
 Verno

Yeah for sure, we're not going right now either and probably won't for a solid year. But after that I'll definitely go back, there are some films that are worth it. I particularly enjoy watching comedies in the cinema too, nothing like the laughter of a crowd even if it means tolerating dipsticks on phones and whatnot.

Yeah I know Nolan does it on purpose but I hope that the industry puts pressure on him to knock it off. Tenet was made much more obtuse by the mixing, it's hard to pay attention and catch all of the details when you're struggling to hear what the characters are saying.

Mar 8, 2021, 11:35
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 11:35
Mar 8, 2021, 11:35

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 11:21:
That doesn't mean I enjoyed other people in the theaters, most of the time, talking, chewing at 120 decibels, on their phone, moving around, bumping into my seat or walking in front of me, etc.
While this is a legitimate concern/complaint I have to say over the years the number of times my theater experience was degraded for these reasons is limited, half a dozen times perhaps, give or take. And as you mentioned, having a crowd can be a bonus. But yeah, obviously this all requires health concerns returning to pre-pandemic levels...

Mar 8, 2021, 11:21
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 11:21
Mar 8, 2021, 11:21

Don't get me wrong, I used to love seeing movies in the theater. I probably went 40-50 times a year, easily, to movie theaters up until the end of 2019. I probably put a major dent into local movie theater revenue when I stopped in early 2020.

That doesn't mean I enjoyed other people in the theaters, most of the time, talking, chewing at 120 decibels, on their phone, moving around, bumping into my seat or walking in front of me, etc.

I'll miss the feeling of, say watching Saving Private Ryan in the theater, the opening week, or the Matrix, or even some of the recent Avengers movies, having a crowd can be a bonus.

Just now, it seems irresponsible and potentially harmful or fatal to others, if not myself, to encourage theater operation by going to their businesses. In addition to the other conveniences already mentioned below.

Christopher Nolan -> deliberately does his sound like that, apparently whatever his sound mixing is, doesn't translate well to home theater setups usually, and the dialogue is inaudible. It infuriates me, but he will probably do that for the rest of his career.

Mar 8, 2021, 10:58
Verno

Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 10:58
Mar 8, 2021, 10:58
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2021, 21:33:
Huh, crickets. Netflix buys exclusive rights to a third party film, and no one is complaining. I was sure that half the people on this site were against this kind of "uncompetitive" behavior. I guess that folks must have some alternative reason for being upset when Epic does it, because based on the lack of response here, they don't seem opposed to the concept.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed Mr Duopoly

I'm pretty sure most people would say the film industry sucks, it kind of goes without saying given its sordid business practices and history. But I'm not sure its a directly comparable business/industry and it's certainly not something I would care to debate on a Monday morning regardless.

I tolerate console exclusives, I'm sure you would take issue with that too but I look at them a little differently given the business model differences there. /shrug

Add in that some movies are going to streaming earlier, and I can watch in the comfort of my own home, with my own food/living room, etc. ... I have less and less interest in ever going back to a theatre, even if COVID19 magically disappears in 2022.

I don't know, the big screen effect is real and some films are a much better experience there. I saw Gravity in 3D at the cinema and it was truly awe inspiring and enjoyable. At home? We didn't care for it much, just very different. But I would agree that those sorts of films are fewer and far between.

Also someone please tell Christopher Nolan to start mixing his audio correctly, this intentional lowering of dialogue levels to punish the home viewer is truly obnoxious and he's being a pretentious brat about it.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2021, 11:08.

Mar 8, 2021, 10:35
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 10:35
Mar 8, 2021, 10:35

Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 09:16:
Most people have TVs that offer a better picture than theaters,
I'd agree with all of your points except this one. Yes, convenience, cheaper concessions, privacy are all huge bonuses for home viewing. But you'll have to define "better" before I'll agree my 65" 4K TV is better than a theater screen -- especially for things like specialty events with 70mm screenings. And as I mentioned some films "deserve" to be seen on "the big screen". For example, I think you'd agree there would be a significant difference in the experience of your first viewing of Star Wars E4 opening scene between at home in comparison to the theater.

Mar 8, 2021, 09:16
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 09:16
Mar 8, 2021, 09:16

Count me in the list of people that don't much expect to ever go to the theater again.

Which is currently a POV many in the film industry have come to recognize. Most people have TVs that offer a better picture than theaters, they have access to cheaper concessions, they can pause if they have to pee, they don't need to fumble over people to get to a seat, don't have to deal with other people talking or getting angry at their own talking, and never have a head in front of them.

I've seen 4 movies in theaters since Interstellar. One my sister in law helped make. One we had free sneak preview tickets through my wife's credit card. One was a re-release of Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. And the last was Parasite, back when it was really only available at indie theaters. That's it. 4 movies in about 7 years. At some point, it just started feeling like there were better uses of my time. Notably, this corresponds exactly with my move to NYC, but I had hardly seen any movies while in Seattle, anyway, even when I was within walking distance of the best theaters there.

Mar 8, 2021, 08:20
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 08:20
Mar 8, 2021, 08:20

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2021, 07:40:
Because? Cost? Health related? The frequency of my theater visits over the years has certainly decreased. Basically for two reasons, first I now subscribe to movie channels like Starz, Showtime, etc. second as the price has gone up the value of it has gone down. That said, there are some films which really "deserve" to be seen on a screen that big, so I imagine I'll continue going occasionally once the pandemic clears, obviously.

The global pandemic, you may have heard of it.

Seriously though, even post vaccination, assuming I can get vaccinated this year, in this shitshow of a state, I don't feel as though the reward outweighs the risk of sitting in people's exhalations for 2-3 hours.

We're probably well on our way in the USA to a new strain outbreak, either UK or South African or Brazilian variants of COVID19, and the country still has 70,000 new infections a day? Assuming people are even getting tested widely in every state, the pandemic is not under control, and people are refusing to wear masks, or wear them properly in a lot of the country.

Mar 8, 2021, 07:40
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 07:40
Mar 8, 2021, 07:40

Mar 8, 2021, 06:38
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2021, 06:38
Mar 8, 2021, 06:38

Huh, crickets. Netflix buys exclusive rights to a third party film, and no one is complaining. I was sure that half the people on this site were against this kind of "uncompetitive" behavior. I guess that folks must have some alternative reason for being upset when Epic does it, because based on the lack of response here, they don't seem opposed to the concept.

I see what you're saying, but the movie industry has always been this sort of exclusive way, in terms of studios buying rights to movies and sometimes burying them for decades. Also, I am most likely never setting foot inside of a theater ever again, so hopefully Netflix, Amazon Prime, or HBO Max get rights to all the good would-be theatrical releases, from my perspective. I see Hulu as more like EGS, in terms of overall annoyance and hoovering ability.

Mar 7, 2021, 22:56
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 7, 2021, 22:56
Mar 7, 2021, 22:56

I'm ambivalent as to who buys what and from where.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older