Out of the Blue

I just want to thank all of you who commented on the Canada Geese culling my HOA performs. Your passionate support and encouragement emboldens me, and I will definitely take some sort of action. It's still possible that they do actually acquire the required permit for what they do. I suspect they don't, however, and if that's correct, I am determined to find a way to put an end to their fowl practice.

Murder Most Fowl Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 25, 2021, 13:29
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2021, 13:29
Mar 25, 2021, 13:29

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2021, 14:15:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 6, 2021, 13:56:
Gratz RedEye9, hard to believe your ever out of time out!

Did you notice the cost of J&J single dose?
They asked for my health insurance Medicare/Medicaid info, I bicycled down there and didn’t bring anything with me early on a Saturday.
Told em I had cash, They said not to worry about it.
They are wanting to stick needles in arms right now.
TLDR
I don’t know the cost and I didn’t pay anything.
A hospital out here faced scrutiny after it posted that it would “charge an administration fee of $15”

Snippet From the CDC:
COVID-19 Vaccine is Provided at 100% No Cost to Recipients
All organizations and providers participating in the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Program:

must administer COVID-19 Vaccine at no out-of-pocket cost to the recipient
may not deny anyone vaccination based on the vaccine recipient’s coverage status or network status
may not charge an office visit or other fee if COVID-19 vaccination is the sole medical service provided
may not require additional medical services to receive COVID-19 vaccination
may seek appropriate reimbursement from a program or plan that covers COVID-19 Vaccine administration fees for the vaccine recipient, such as:
vaccine recipient’s private insurance company
Medicare or Medicaid reimbursement
HRSA COVID-19 Uninsured Program for non-insured vaccine recipients
may not seek any reimbursement, including through balance billing, from the vaccine recipient
Individuals aware of any potential violations of these requirements are encouraged to report them to the Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, by calling 1-800-HHS-TIPS or the website TIPS.HHS.GOV.
end snip
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/vaccination-provider-support.html
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Mar 7, 2021, 21:27
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2021, 21:27
Mar 7, 2021, 21:27

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 7, 2021, 14:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2021, 10:11:
Sitting in timeout after receiving my single-shot Johnson & Johnson (Janssen COVID-19) vaccine. In another 11 minutes I'll be a free man.
What a relief.

With the J&J vaccine it looks like protection against moderate/severe disease starts about two weeks after you get vaccinated. By four weeks after the shot, data from the clinical trial showed there were no hospitalizations or deaths.
28 hours, no side effects except for soreness at injection site.
Majority of side effects are experienced in the first one to three days and can last for another one to three days after onset.

So you haven't turned into a zombie? Strange, the anti-vaxxers said you would.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Mar 7, 2021, 14:07
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2021, 14:07
Mar 7, 2021, 14:07

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2021, 10:11:
Sitting in timeout after receiving my single-shot Johnson & Johnson (Janssen COVID-19) vaccine. In another 11 minutes I'll be a free man.
What a relief.

With the J&J vaccine it looks like protection against moderate/severe disease starts about two weeks after you get vaccinated. By four weeks after the shot, data from the clinical trial showed there were no hospitalizations or deaths.
28 hours, no side effects except for soreness at injection site.
Majority of side effects are experienced in the first one to three days and can last for another one to three days after onset.

Mar 6, 2021, 17:08
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 17:08
Mar 6, 2021, 17:08

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2021, 14:15:

They asked for my health insurance Medicare/Medicaid info, I bicycled down there and didn’t bring anything with me early on a Saturday.
TLDR

The way I understand it is that the pharmacies and other providers don't charge the patient, but they take the insurance info and charge the insurance companies. Then the ins companies get reimbursed by the Feds.
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Mar 6, 2021, 14:15
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 14:15
Mar 6, 2021, 14:15

TLDR

Mar 6, 2021, 13:56
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 13:56
Mar 6, 2021, 13:56

‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Mar 6, 2021, 10:11
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 10:11
Mar 6, 2021, 10:11

What a relief.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2021, 10:22.

Mar 6, 2021, 07:32
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 07:32
Mar 6, 2021, 07:32
 Prez

Oh no - it was definitely a huge failure - I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. Again, their preparation for this kind of disaster was horrible.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 6, 2021, 07:24
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 07:24
Mar 6, 2021, 07:24

Prez wrote on Mar 6, 2021, 06:31:
I think that in this case it can be understood why the charges - which are designed to be automatic based on supply and demand - weren't a top priority.

It isn't a matter of priorities, though. This is 100% another example of their absolute failure as an entity. Any half-way decent disaster recovery plan has automatic brakes in place to rate limit automated systems in the event of a disaster. I should know, the DR plan I helped design at work kicked in automatically as soon as the power was off for longer than an hour.

This was something that could have been addressed and ready to fire off by a script written by any second year or better DBA.

This is a failure of bad planning, bad policy, and bad management.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Mar 6, 2021, 07:13
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 07:13
Mar 6, 2021, 07:13

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 12:52:
ERCOT, how many ways have they failed Texas. At this point it’s almost infinite.

It's not just ERCOT. It's our state government too. In 2011, the Federal Department of Energy told both the state government and the PUC in 357page report that the mass power failures in 2011 and in 1989 were caused by identical problems and identical failures. Instead of making the necessary changes mandatory, the state government simply turned them in to advisories. ERCOT, and the state government, had a literal decade to prepare for this. They did not because it would have shaved a minor percentage off the bottom line.

Abbott is just as culpable as he has been the state governor for more than half of that decade.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Mar 6, 2021, 06:52
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 06:52
Mar 6, 2021, 06:52

Blue - if this is your first time getting involved with a HOA, boy are you in for at treat.

Also enjoy it when you or someone you care about gets histoplasmosis.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Mar 6, 2021, 06:31
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2021, 06:31
Mar 6, 2021, 06:31
 Prez

God knows I won't come to the defense of a major corporation often (especially one that accidentally overcharged customers 16 BILLION dollars) but they were a little busy trying to prevent a system overload that could have left the *entire state* without power for potentially weeks. I think that in this case it can be understood why the charges - which are designed to be automatic based on supply and demand - weren't a top priority.

I don't give them a pass for being woefully unprepared, in case anyone thinks I went soft.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 5, 2021, 20:32
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 20:32
Mar 5, 2021, 20:32

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 14:21:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 14:13:
Wasn't the NFL a non-profit company until very recently?
Sounds familiar. I think the idea was supposed to be they were "only administering" the league. Which consisted of 32, for profit, privately owned teams. Don't recall what caused them to lose their status.

I thought they voluntarily gave up their non-profit status. Probably to avoid being investigated.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Mar 5, 2021, 16:20
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 16:20
Mar 5, 2021, 16:20

Things that make you say whaaa?
“Fired ERCOT leader refuses more than $800,000 severance pay in storm aftermath”

Mar 5, 2021, 14:54
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 14:54
Mar 5, 2021, 14:54

Teddy wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 14:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 13:50:
It appears that Kentucky wants to go full on authoritarian state with a bill that would make it illegal to insult, taunt or challenge a law enforcement officer.
And it’s getting pushback that unconstitutional nonsense deserves.
"It threatens free speech, it criminalizes homelessness and it's written specifically to intimidate protesters in response to the protests that began last year occurring around the death of Breonna Taylor," said Kia Nishida of the ACLU of Kentucky.
Meanwhile, Corey Shapiro, an attorney with the ACLU of Kentucky, said "the idea that the legislature would be criminalizing speech in such a way is offensive."
"Verbally challenging police action — even if by insult or offensive language — is a cornerstone of our democracy," Shapiro told the Courier-Journal. "And the First Amendment protects people's ability to express themselves, even if it's using offensive words to the police."
If you can’t handle a “Your Momma” joke you may want to pick a different line of work.

"To find out who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Strom

It may have been a douchebag who said it originally, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Right, which is why the founders placed such a high value on freedom of speech.
Your choice is clear.

Mar 5, 2021, 14:43
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 14:43
Mar 5, 2021, 14:43

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 13:50:
It appears that Kentucky wants to go full on authoritarian state with a bill that would make it illegal to insult, taunt or challenge a law enforcement officer.
And it’s getting pushback that unconstitutional nonsense deserves.
"It threatens free speech, it criminalizes homelessness and it's written specifically to intimidate protesters in response to the protests that began last year occurring around the death of Breonna Taylor," said Kia Nishida of the ACLU of Kentucky.
Meanwhile, Corey Shapiro, an attorney with the ACLU of Kentucky, said "the idea that the legislature would be criminalizing speech in such a way is offensive."
"Verbally challenging police action — even if by insult or offensive language — is a cornerstone of our democracy," Shapiro told the Courier-Journal. "And the First Amendment protects people's ability to express themselves, even if it's using offensive words to the police."
If you can’t handle a “Your Momma” joke you may want to pick a different line of work.

"To find out who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Strom

It may have been a douchebag who said it originally, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Mar 5, 2021, 14:21
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 14:21
Mar 5, 2021, 14:21

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 14:13:
Sounds familiar. I think the idea was supposed to be they were "only administering" the league. Which consisted of 32, for profit, privately owned teams. Don't recall what caused them to lose their status.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Mar 5, 2021, 14:16
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 14:16
Mar 5, 2021, 14:16

As for the geese, I definitely recommend contacting the requisite agencies first, and seeing what's required. If possible, I suggest staying anonymous throughout this process. Even though it sounds like you may have tipped your hand a bit already, at least you still have some plausible deniability. HOAs can make you absolutely miserable if they set their mind to it, and there often can be very little recourse.
Your choice is clear.

Mar 5, 2021, 14:13
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 14:13
Mar 5, 2021, 14:13

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 14:08:
Some of the US laws around corporations are ridiculous. ERCOT is supposedly a "nonprofit corporation". Uh huh, sure. They are subject to oversight by The Public Utility Commission of Texas, but I'm guessing that's nothing but a rubber stamp, especially considering they are appointed by the governor. I'd also guess a careful examination of their finances will turn up some "interesting" fund distributions....

Your choice is clear.

Mar 5, 2021, 14:08
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2021, 14:08
Mar 5, 2021, 14:08

Some of the US laws around corporations are ridiculous. ERCOT is supposedly a "nonprofit corporation". Uh huh, sure. They are subject to oversight by The Public Utility Commission of Texas, but I'm guessing that's nothing but a rubber stamp, especially considering they are appointed by the governor. I'd also guess a careful examination of their finances will turn up some "interesting" fund distributions....

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older