Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free

A post from Valve called The Future of Artifact has the bad news that Artifact no longer has much of a future, as development of the card-based strategy game is coming to an end. Up until now Valve was working on a reboot called Artifact 2.0, and while that's not complete, it is playable, and will be released as is. But the game has failed to attract enough player interest, so they are releasing both Artifact Classic and what's now called Artifact Foundry as completely free games. This page outlines the difference between the two versions, and here's more on the free releases:
It's now been about a year and a half since the current Artifact team began work on a reboot in earnest. While we're reasonably satisfied we accomplished most of our game-side goals, we haven't managed to get the active player numbers to a level that justifies further development at this time. As such, we've made the tough decision to stop development on the Artifact 2.0 Beta.

However, we recognize that both versions of Artifact still have players and still have value to the community. For this reason, we're opening both games up to make them available for free to everyone. Final releases of both Artifact Classic and Artifact 2.0 Beta (renamed Artifact Foundry) are now available. Technically Artifact Foundry remains an unfinished product, but most of what's missing is polish and art - the core gameplay is all there. While both games will remain playable, we don’t plan to ship any further gameplay updates.

Here's an overview of our final changes to Artifact Classic:

• The game is free for everyone to play.
  • All players get every card for free. You will no longer be able to buy card packs.
  • Paid players' existing cards have been converted into special Collector's Edition versions, which will remain marketable. Marketplace integration has been removed from the game.
  • Paid event tickets have been removed.
  • Customers who paid for the game will still earn packs of Collector's Edition cards for playing; players who got the game for free will not.

The final release of Artifact Foundry looks like this:

• The game is free for everyone to play.
  • Players gain access to cards by playing the game. All cards are earned this way; no cards or packs will be for sale and Artifact Foundry cards are not marketable.
  • All final card art that was in the pipeline is now in the game.

(In short, when we say "free", we really mean "free.")

View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free
Mar 6, 2021, 13:01
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 6, 2021, 13:01
Mar 6, 2021, 13:01

I understand that Valve has also made Linux gaming a lot more viable in the last few years.

Mar 6, 2021, 09:25
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 6, 2021, 09:25
Mar 6, 2021, 09:25

Prez wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 16:44:
Wow Valve has taken a nosedive in recent years like so many others. I'm starting to think it's always better to remain a plucky start-up barely scraping by rather than making to the big leagues and losing every shred of creativity and soul you had.

They've actually done a lot--when it comes to VR. First, they are the only reason that PC gamers' options for VR aren't limited to "Facebook VR" and ... well just Facebook. In other words, they've successfully fended off FB's multi-billion dollar attempt to control the PCVR medium with their walled garden that's forcibly linked to a toxic social media platform.

On the hardware end they designed lighthouse tracking (enabling a ton of things in VR that aren't possible with any other solution), the HTC Vive (and in doing so successfully shifted the medium away from front facing gamepad experiences to fully tracked experiences with motion controllers--really the most interesting aspect of VR), helped design the Reverb G2, gave away technology to others (tracking, lens technologies, audio solutions), and released the Valve Index themselves. And they are, if we're to believe their public statements, continuing to work on high end VR hardware because they understand the quality of the experience isn't quite there yet.

On the platform and software end, they are the only platform doing the drudgework of supporting all VR systems and are doing it in a way that allows for a ton of interesting forms of extensibility in true PC fashion. And of course they've released Half-Life: Alyx (the game that basically sets a standard baseline for good VR design--something that devs will emulate for many years), a variety of other small projects to inspire developers, and they are continuing to work on VR titles (at the very least there's something called Citadel and another project that hasn't been leaked).

Some might say "but Facebook still controls the majority of PCVR hardware". This is true, but it's not really what matters. What matters is that PCVR gamers don't buy their games on the Oculus Store and thus aren't locked into Facebook's walled garden. That Facebook is using their billions to sell PCVR hardware at a loss to gain hardware dominance is unfortunate (other PC vendors need to not just break even but make a profit), but what's ultimately important is who controls the dominant platform (and, for us gamers, how well that platform "behaves"). So long as a decent percentage of users continue to use non-FB hardware it won't be an issue (and now FB has largely shifted focus to mobile VR gaming anyway).

If I had to criticize their efforts it's that they haven't supported indie VR devs directly (only indirectly) and they haven't acquired any promising projects and given them the Valve boost (like they did with TF, Portal, L4D, etc etc).

But you should really watch Half-Life: Alyx - The Final Hours. They go into how creating HLA was not just a matter of making an amazing VR game but also "fixing Valve". COVID is slowing them down but if we're to believe the story presented in HLA: TFH we'll be seeing much more from Valve.

Mar 6, 2021, 02:03
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 6, 2021, 02:03
Mar 6, 2021, 02:03

deleted: hit quote instead of edit I guess

Mar 6, 2021, 02:00
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 6, 2021, 02:00
Mar 6, 2021, 02:00

Yeah that does look to be the case. The store page has two separate "Install" buttons but once you pick one the other also turns to "Play". Not sure how you install both.

edit: People are saying you can restart Steam to fix it... or visit this link and get to the right AppID through there.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1269260/Artifact_Foundry/

Mar 6, 2021, 00:09
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 6, 2021, 00:09
Mar 6, 2021, 00:09

I installed Artifact Classic, played through the tutorials... it's seemingly worse than regular Magic the Gathering online, at least in my opinion. Definite weird influence from DotA style games with lanes, towers, etc.

Uninstalled to make space for other stuff, but there is some very nice artwork and it seems pretty solid mechanically. I'd have probably played more of it, if it hadn't been a monetization/cash grab nightmare on release, and had a good playerbase. Scrolls was better, Magic Workshop multiplayer was better, MtG:Online(several versions ago) is better. (My opinions of course)

Good for them for releasing it for free though. I will note, when given the option to install, and I chose "Classic," it seems you cannot go back and choose Foundry mode instead? Minor issue, maybe.

Mar 5, 2021, 19:19
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 5, 2021, 19:19
Mar 5, 2021, 19:19

Prez wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 16:44:
Wow Valve has taken a nosedive in recent years like so many others. I'm starting to think it's always better to remain a plucky start-up barely scraping by rather than making to the big leagues and losing every shred of creativity and soul you had.

Recent years?
They just released Alyx...
That's a huge improvement on the past 7 years that preceded that lol

Mar 5, 2021, 16:44
Prez

Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 5, 2021, 16:44
Mar 5, 2021, 16:44
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 5, 2021, 15:41
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 5, 2021, 15:41
Mar 5, 2021, 15:41

...That was a game?
Jeez. Never even heard anything about it, till yesterday...

Mar 5, 2021, 10:50
El Pit

Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 5, 2021, 10:50
Mar 5, 2021, 10:50
 El Pit

It will return as...

VRtifact!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Mar 5, 2021, 07:53
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 5, 2021, 07:53
Mar 5, 2021, 07:53

Should have just called it - " TF2 hats & artifacts " ...... woulda sold like gold

Mar 5, 2021, 02:49
Slick

Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 5, 2021, 02:49
Mar 5, 2021, 02:49
 Slick

I miss Scrolls
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Mar 5, 2021, 02:06
Wolfen

Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 5, 2021, 02:06
Mar 5, 2021, 02:06
 Wolfen

Speaking for myself, and I bet others... part of it's lack of success has to do with the damn hype they gave it and a lot us "hoping" it was an Ep 3 announcement. Reminded me of the new Diablo on mobile debacle.

Mar 4, 2021, 21:34
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 4, 2021, 21:34
Mar 4, 2021, 21:34

I do like collectable card games, but I've never played this. Does it have any kind of single player aspect like Slay the Spire or some campaign mode? I looked on the official page, but it doesn't seem to mention much about gameplay options.
"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

Mar 4, 2021, 21:31
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 4, 2021, 21:31
Mar 4, 2021, 21:31

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 20:07:
When you overly monetize something, it ceases to be a "game" and becomes a "product." Then you truly must offer something of value for people to be willing to pay for it.
All that steam touches does not turn to gold.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Mar 4, 2021, 20:58
Kxmode

Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 4, 2021, 20:58
Mar 4, 2021, 20:58
 Kxmode

Could they release the source code and assets?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 4, 2021, 20:07
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 4, 2021, 20:07
Mar 4, 2021, 20:07

When you overly monetize something, it ceases to be a "game" and becomes a "product." Then you truly must offer something of value for people to be willing to pay for it.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Mar 4, 2021, 19:33
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 4, 2021, 19:33
Mar 4, 2021, 19:33

The versions still have players? All 30 of em eh?

Mar 4, 2021, 19:25
Re: Artifact Ends Development, Goes Completely Free Mar 4, 2021, 19:25
Mar 4, 2021, 19:25

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older