Out of the Blue

I know people can find Canada Geese a nuisance, but I find the fact that our homeowners association rounds them up every spring extremely distressing. When I first learned of the practice I asked if they were relocated or killed, and the glib answer was "don't know, don't care." The idea they might be killed bothers me a lot, and with the first geese showing up on the pond for the spring this is starting to stress me out. I decided to do a little poking around, and found the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation Regulations on the topic. It turns out that trying to drive them off is allowable, but relocating them is not, and killing geese here would require a specific federal permit. It would not surprise me greatly if the HOA is not bothering to get such a permit, so now I need to decide whether I want to get caught up in raising a fuss over this. Have any of you had such a bad experience with uncontrolled goose populations to know that I'm going to regret it if it turns out there's something I can do about this? I'm imagining there's a possible Twilight Zone scenario here where I end up in a hell of my own making.

Goose Round-up Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Auction

The Funnies

View : : :
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 4, 2021, 12:14
Jaxx

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 12:14
Mar 4, 2021, 12:14
 Jaxx

Blue,

I have. I lived in a condo complex that was doing that here in Washington. I knew, as a hunter, that geese are covered under the migratory bird act. And I found through the dept of wildlife that the HOA did NOT have permits, nor ever did. The Fish & Wildlife Department investigated and found the board was oiling the eggs to keep them from hatching. the board even went as far to say “its private land, we can do what ever the hell we want.”

The HOA was fined $250,000. They never did it again.

Mar 4, 2021, 12:25
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 12:25
Mar 4, 2021, 12:25
 Verno

Another way of broaching this would be to say to the board that you've encountered wildlife conservation people around asking questions about the geese and that you don't want to be on the hook for large fines.

They are supposed to contact conservation authorities who will re-locate the nests and if necessary, sterilize the eggs. I get it, they're loud and make a mess but they are just seeking predator free habitats on their migration routes.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Mar 4, 2021, 12:36
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 12:36
Mar 4, 2021, 12:36

Blue, you've probably stumbled onto a Canada geese murdering conspiracy, perpetuated by multiple evil (redundant) HOAs across the country. Verno's suggestion is good, but you will probably need to contact NYS wildlife authorities yourself. There is potential for retaliation from the HOA of course, so weigh the risk. Make sure you are not listed by name in any complaints, or as a resident even.

This post is about 35% joking.

Mar 4, 2021, 12:52
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 12:52
Mar 4, 2021, 12:52

Fuck the HOA. Report them flat out. I understand you have to live there but that doesn't mean you can't fight back against criminal action.

I am 100% not joking.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Mar 4, 2021, 13:06
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 13:06
Mar 4, 2021, 13:06

We had a cold snap here last night, and now the power is out. What's next on the Texapocalypse list? Is it the burst pipes, or the boiled water advisory? I'm going to prep for both, but need to know which one comes first.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Mar 4, 2021, 13:12
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 13:12
Mar 4, 2021, 13:12
 Verno

The premature removal of a masking order is next actually
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Mar 4, 2021, 13:16
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 13:16
Mar 4, 2021, 13:16

Geese here are protected by law. Fuck with them in any way, and you are looking at up to five years in jail and $50,000 in fines.

Perhaps Blue's geese can be relocated? Perhaps there is another country they could go to that would make people happy? I wonder what country that might be? I'm thinking of a place where the residents have shit-eating grins and grease dribbling down their chins. I'm thinking of...
MANSTOVIA
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Mar 4, 2021, 13:20
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 13:20
Mar 4, 2021, 13:20

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 13:12:
Ah, okay. My understanding was that was the later stages of the Texapocalypse, and I didn't need to prepare for that yet.

Mar 4, 2021, 13:27
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 13:27
Mar 4, 2021, 13:27

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 12:36:
Blue, you've probably stumbled onto a Canada geese murdering conspiracy, perpetuated by multiple evil (redundant) HOAs across the country. Verno's suggestion is good, but you will probably need to contact NYS wildlife authorities yourself. There is potential for retaliation from the HOA of course, so weigh the risk. Make sure you are not listed by name in any complaints, or as a resident even.

This post is about 35% joking.
They probably have an anonymous tip line. It also might be worth a call to find out what info they need to take action, bc they are probably understaffed and have to prioritize the worst cases. If Blue could provide secretly filmed goose beheadings from the pizza parlor basement, I bet that would get their attention.

Mar 4, 2021, 13:34
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 13:34
Mar 4, 2021, 13:34

I would definitely report them. Around here, there's a place that uses trained dogs to round up and chase off geese without harming them. They're used at airports, hospitals, etc., and seem to work quite well. There are plenty of ways for the hoa to legally take care of the goose problem without harming them. If they don't want to bother, f 'em, and get them fined.

Mar 4, 2021, 13:58
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 13:58
Mar 4, 2021, 13:58

"don't know, don't care."

Anyone so cavalier about other life should be shot and pissed on. Barring that, fuck them and the horse they rode in on. Raise Hell, man. Bring the gov't into it absolutely. If those assholes don't like it, fuck them, they can move somewhere else. The only reason evil exists in this world is not because people say yes to it, but because they don't say NO.

My neighbors behind me are assholes. Last year one of their grand-brats was screaming at a chimpunk. I called the little bastard out on then and there. Got into with his grandparents. Told them if I ever see anything like it again I'd be calling the cops, by-law enforcement, child-protective services, and a lawyer. And if that all failed I'd come over, personally tune him up, and then burn his house to the ground. I seriously doubt we'll see a repeat of that again. Give assholes an inch and they'll take a mile.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Mar 4, 2021, 14:12
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 14:12
Mar 4, 2021, 14:12

I would contact a nonprofit and asking about how to, anonymously report possible abuse to prevent retaliation.
A nonprofit would never quack you out. But be careful about telling people in your HOA what you do, because they could just read this?
Remember what Amos Burton said : [sniffs her threateningly] I don't shit were I eat.

So I just sent you an email with who to call or at least a path to follow. That way if you choose it, there's no record here!
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Mar 4, 2021, 14:19
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 14:19

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 13:20:
Ah, okay. My understanding was that was the later stages of the Texapocalypse, and I didn't need to prepare for that yet.
An hour after that disgusting neanderthal rolled back the mandates and exclaimed Texas was 100% open I went and registered for the vaccine.

Saturday morning at 9:00 I'm scheduled to get the single-shot Johnson & Johnson (Janssen COVID-19) vaccine.

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 14:19

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 13:58:

Anyone so cavalier about other life should be shot and pissed on. Barring that, fuck them and the horse they rode in on. Raise Hell, man. Bring the gov't into it absolutely. If those assholes don't like it, fuck them, they can move somewhere else. The only reason evil exists in this world is not because people say yes to it, but because they don't say NO.

My neighbors behind me are assholes. Last year one of their grand-brats was screaming at a chimpunk. I called the little bastard out on then and there. Got into with his grandparents. Told them if I ever see anything like it again I'd be calling the cops, by-law enforcement, child-protective services, and a lawyer. And if that all failed I'd come over, personally tune him up, and then burn his house to the ground. I seriously doubt we'll see a repeat of that again. Give assholes an inch and they'll take a mile.

Yes Cutter, you talk to people, and the seem normal, but many aren't, at all

Mar 4, 2021, 14:37
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 14:37
Mar 4, 2021, 14:37

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 14:19:
An hour after that disgusting neanderthal rolled back the mandates and exclaimed Texas was 100% open I went and registered for the vaccine.

Saturday morning at 9:00 I'm scheduled to get the single-shot Johnson & Johnson (Janssen COVID-19) vaccine.

Great idea, gratz!
I keep trying to hold off, because I very cautious, spraying mail with disinfectant and using alcohol wipes on groceries.
Outside using gloves, mask/faceshield, double masking in crowded areas and hand sanitizer.
But admittedly I'm a bit older, so it's a concern.

Yeah, he's clearly an pathologically psychotic. "Reported Texas covid deaths around 45,000" Remember he's one of the gop governers who hid "the real" nursing home deaths.
The multiplier number Epidemiologists are using is x10 for the actual covid infections and related deaths. So if we can ever get a Federally accurate count it's
probably 450,000 deaths his incompetence has played a part in, to full responsibility for others.
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Mar 4, 2021, 14:44
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 14:44
Mar 4, 2021, 14:44
 Kxmode

Is it Canada Geese or Canadian Geese?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 4, 2021, 15:00
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 15:00
Mar 4, 2021, 15:00

Woot! Congrats! Mrs. Burrito gets her first shot tomorrow.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Mar 4, 2021, 15:32
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 15:32
Mar 4, 2021, 15:32

WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 14:19:
Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 13:58:

Yes Cutter, you talk to people, and the seem normal, but many aren't, at all

Who the fuck teaches children to pick on defenseless animals? They should get got just on general principle alone. It's like that shithole in New York State, Germantown, every year these motherfuckers hold a squirrel hunt. Teach kids how to murder animals for no reason at all.

Fury as New York town hosts ‘barbaric’ squirrel hunt

Petition to stop it....
STOP the Cruel Squirrel killing contest in Germantown, NY!

Honestly, if I ever decide to check out one day I'll be sure to head by a place like and burn it and all it's inhabitants to the ground first. Do my own hunt. Kill conservative assholes hunt! Now that needs to be a full time event year round.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Mar 4, 2021, 15:45
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 15:45

Nice, dude. My TX friend is going to continue to shelter at home until TX achieves more herd immunity. She is WFH, so she's staying pretty safe.

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2021, 15:45

Another miracle snake oil elixir promoted on Faux Noise for treating COVID 19 has been found to do nothing and is harmful.
Ivermectin
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer