55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Feb 28, 2021, 19:16
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 19:16
Feb 28, 2021, 19:16

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 15:21:
Jivaro, I agree with you which is why I brought up the 1.5 trillion dollar boondoggle that is the F-35 program. It's an utterly unnecessary waste that does not, and will not, deliver what was promised and it ended up being rather underwhelming in every role it was designed to fill. So much so that the USN is looking for a replacement for it within the next decade while also doing its best to extend the life of the F/A-18E/F. A nearly 30 year old airframe at this point (it will hit the 30 year milestone in 2023).

Imagine what that 1.5 trillion dollars could have gone toward. Healthcare, infrastructure, revitalizing our beyond poorly funded education system. a forced upgrade to our national broadband infrastructure, etc.

So first of all, $1.5T is the estimated amount of the program over 60 years. The vast majority of that money hasn't even been spent, and may never be spent. The military is looking to reduce its total buys of F-35 and may be building an inexpensive "Gen-5-minus" aircraft without the expensive radar absorbing material that drives the per-hour flight cost of the aircraft so high. They're not going to get rid of their F-35s, but they realize the planes are so effective and make older and more basic aircraft more effective, that they may not need as many as they thought.
Second, costs are coming down. The current flyaway cost for an F-35A is about $80M, which is the same as a new previous-gen F-15EX. And LockMart is working on reducing per-hour costs as well. And while readiness rates for the aircraft are at only about 70%, and parts acquisition has been a challenge, these are solvable issues.
Third, the technology of the aircraft is a game changer. It absolutely dominates other aircraft in exercises, racking up 20-1 or 15-1 kill ratios. And pilots love it. Continuous software updates exploit the excellent hardware set and improve its performance. And that hardware/software combo allows each F-35 to perform its own electronic warfare and airborne early warning functions basically eliminating the need for those dedicated aircraft.

Yes, it had a troubled and expensive development cycle with lots of issues. However, most of those have been solved. Basically, there's nothing else like it in the world right now, and nothing that can compete with it outside of our own F-22.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Feb 28, 2021, 18:26
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 18:26
Feb 28, 2021, 18:26

BoP
Standard pull yourself up by your bootstraps mentality.
Worked so well in Texas, except your bootstraps are frozen and instead of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow there's a $10,000 Thousand dollar electric bill.
Makes most "normal" people wanna puke.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Feb 28, 2021, 17:48
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 17:48
Feb 28, 2021, 17:48

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 15:21:
Now we get to the heart of the matter. Your entire worldview is based on "Fuck you, I got mine." Cool. You and I no longer have a reason to continue to discuss this topic.

Close. You are correct in assuming I have no bleeding heart.

It's not simply that "I got mine". It's that "I worked hard for many years slowly climbing the ladder for mine. You do the same, or Fuck You."
It's called earning it.
Zero sympathy for people that think the are entitled to a have a free ride.

And with that correction... you are right... We have no reason to continue this discussion.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Feb 28, 2021, 17:07
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 17:07
Feb 28, 2021, 17:07

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 16:13:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 13:25:
#5 Oh Hell no. I work hard for my paychecks. I do not want to pay for other people's medical, college, slavery reparations (My family wasn't even in this country then), living wage stipends (welfare on steroids). I don't get why you want to steal from people that work hard and give it to people that don't. I never understood that logic. And before you say "tax the rich"... that never works. They hire armies of accountants for the loopholes, or pass on the cost somehow, or move their money out of the country. And when there is a shortage to fund these "programs"... the middle / working class gets stuck with the bill and screwed. At least Bernie was honest regarding everyone's taxes go up.

You probably pay less than you take in, so you needn't worry. For example , you say you have kids. Even if they went to public school, their education took far more in tax dollars than you paid, total.

People like me subsidized your daughter's education. Remember that before you whine about subsidizing anyone else's.

There really isn't a good solution right now.

Raise wages, demand goes up, costs inflate, nothing changes.

We all will be old and inferm at some point, and will all be wondering where the help is at after paying years of taxes.

Likewise I enjoy the affordability we have from relatively low taxes compared to the rest of the developed world. I like buying my fun gadgets for half price, even if I know it budens me to personally prepare for the future, and I likely will never be as prepared as the average person living in a socialized system.

I also have family experience of leaving a socialized system because safety is not the end all be all that some think it is. But the past looks better with age as one gets older. Truthfully the problem is that both approaches are correct, just one suits a different age bracket more than the other.

-scheherazade

Feb 28, 2021, 16:13
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 16:13
Feb 28, 2021, 16:13

#5 Oh Hell no. I work hard for my paychecks. I do not want to pay for other people's medical, college, slavery reparations (My family wasn't even in this country then), living wage stipends (welfare on steroids). I don't get why you want to steal from people that work hard and give it to people that don't. I never understood that logic. And before you say "tax the rich"... that never works. They hire armies of accountants for the loopholes, or pass on the cost somehow, or move their money out of the country. And when there is a shortage to fund these "programs"... the middle / working class gets stuck with the bill and screwed. At least Bernie was honest regarding everyone's taxes go up.

You probably pay less than you take in, so you needn't worry. For example , you say you have kids. Even if they went to public school, their education took far more in tax dollars than you paid, total.

People like me subsidized your daughter's education. Remember that before you whine about subsidizing anyone else's.

Feb 28, 2021, 15:52
MattyC

Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 15:52
Feb 28, 2021, 15:52
 MattyC

Simon Says wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 11:50:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2021, 22:42:
It's a f'd up sitch because the costs will go up, rent will charge more.

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 10:50:
15/hr in my city means every cost of living goes up to meet that bottom wage.

A study of studies about minimum wage increase VS inflation has concluded that there is no cause and effect between raising the minimum wage and inflation.

The studies collated in that study were from as far back as WW2 upto now.

And as someone else already pointed out, all the minimum wage increases experiments didn't see unemployment go up, it went down instead.

^ This ^

Not to mention only something like 2% of workers make minimum wage, it isn’t going to destroy small business (rabble rabble!!, those kind of claims are just silly. Oh no, some people making what clearly isn’t a living wage will get a bit more money. Currently the government basically just subsidies business that pay minimum wage anyway. No one is going to work somewhere for not enough money to eat and have shelter. They only do so because the rest is made up for in social welfare programs.

Not to mention what do people think the very poor will do with a bit more money? Build a Scrooge McDuck money vault to swim in? No, they are going to spend it. This is money that will go right back into the economy.
"I don't like being outside, Smithers... For one thing, there are too many fat children."

Feb 28, 2021, 15:22
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 15:22

WannaLogAlready wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 13:17:
Scheherazade wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 12:56:
Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 12:36:
The same people that whine about how untrustworthy politicians are get all their news and science from politicians

How is anyone still bringing up HCQ? Even Trump gave that one up 6 months ago.

How are some people so out of touch with reality?

Probably because HCQ helps some people very much.

Its downside is mainly that it doesn't reliably have an effect in every patient.
For some people they were recovering in half the time as others with the same condition at the time it was administered.
For other people it had no effect at all.
Meaning it's not dependable.

Since HCQ was created as a safer alternative to quinine for malaria treatment (Quinine is already safe enough to be sold at the grocery store (tonic water)), and HCQ is readily available, it's a decent add-on treatment to administer 'just in case it helps'.

HCQ was actually one of 3 compounds that China identified in the first few months as gaving some effect. They published their studies about it, which I read out of curiosity. HCQ was not actually the best compound, one other was twice as likely to help. But afaik HCQ was cheap and widely available.

It's a shame HCQ got politicised. It annoyed me how people dismissed it just because of the association with Trump.

-scheherazade

And here we go again spreading ignorant opinions 'cause hearsay and "reasons".
Those of a imbecile ignorant and willfully criminal president that heard about it in Fox or from a very interested big pharma donating "friend".

HCQ was dismissed because of the last full serious and finally complete scientific tests that required time and effort to produce.
And lives to be lost unfortunately : though not nearly as toxic as the other compound Scherezade mentions, HCQ has light noxious effects that will add to overwheming an already taxed organism.

Is China using it ?
No country is still supporting it, except Brasil's Trump, the wildly irresponsible Bolsonaro (who lost various Health Ministers already but what do doctors know, eh?), while panned by medics.

There are millions of dosis bought by the GOP states following the sainted word of their orange god, that nobody is using, nor wants, even free.

It's not people dismissing it, it's professionals, hospitals, doctors.
But every minute one clueless is born and all that.

Depends on the study.

eg a quick google shows :
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.22.20040758v2

Pneumonia symotoms improved in 80% of HCQ group vs 55% of control group.
2 GCQ patients had adverse reactions.

In any case, there is a littany of studies. They range from HCQ helps, to HCQ has no significant effect.
There is also a difference between 'improves symptoms' and 'shortens disease', and different studies focus on different aspects.

In any case, the compound is inoculus to the vast vast majority of people. I already know I tolerate quinine, so I would have no reason not to try it. If it helps, good, if not, no loss to me.

-scheherazade

PHJF

Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 15:22
 PHJF

Jivaro wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 14:12:
I see we have come to the part where math suddenly gets hard.

You guys are argueing over pennies. Our military budget is the sole reason we can't do all of the nice things for our people. Our dependence on fossil fuels is basically what we are defending. Taxing the rich is great and all, but even that is chump change to compared to what we put into the military.

Change that, everybody gets what they want. In the meantime, this argument is just the same shit over and over. We can be a country or we can be an empire, we apparently can't be both. It's literally tearing what little national identity we have left in two opposite directions.

The problem is all that funding... is money/jobs paid to states. Good luck getting military spending cut.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Feb 28, 2021, 15:21
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 15:21
Feb 28, 2021, 15:21

#5 Oh Hell no. I work hard for my paychecks. I do not want to pay for other people's medical, college...

Now we get to the heart of the matter. Your entire worldview is based on "Fuck you, I got mine." Cool. You and I no longer have a reason to continue to discuss this topic.

//|---|\\

Jivaro, I agree with you which is why I brought up the 1.5 trillion dollar boondoggle that is the F-35 program. It's an utterly unnecessary waste that does not, and will not, deliver what was promised and it ended up being rather underwhelming in every role it was designed to fill. So much so that the USN is looking for a replacement for it within the next decade while also doing its best to extend the life of the F/A-18E/F. A nearly 30 year old airframe at this point (it will hit the 30 year milestone in 2023).

Imagine what that 1.5 trillion dollars could have gone toward. Healthcare, infrastructure, revitalizing our beyond poorly funded education system. a forced upgrade to our national broadband infrastructure, etc.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Feb 28, 2021, 14:35
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 14:35
Feb 28, 2021, 14:35

Jivaro wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 14:12:

You guys are argueing over pennies. Our military budget is the sole reason we can't do all of the nice things for our people. Our dependence on fossil fuels is basically what we are defending. Taxing the rich is great and all, but even that is chump change to compared to what we put into the military.

Change that, everybody gets what they want. In the meantime, this argument is just the same shit over and over. We can be a country or we can be an empire, we apparently can't be both. It's literally tearing what little national identity we have left in two opposite directions.

It's a combination of the two. The rich/big biz used to pay a vast amount of tax only several decades ago. From Reagan onward that all ended. Tax rates at the tippy top went from something like 85% to a mere 21%. And the bigger problem still is tax law itself. It permits for complete tax avoidance in many cases. Cases like Amazon who not only don't pay tax but get back 10s of millions a year in gov't subsidies. Or Warren Buffet paying a lower effective tax rate than his secretary. You don't need to raise taxes on the rich/big biz you just need to eliminate tax loopholes. And yes, even slashing America's military budget by 75% they'd still be spending more than anyone on the planet by wide margin. That outright waste and theft never ceases to boggle my mind.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Feb 28, 2021, 14:12
Jivaro

Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 14:12
Feb 28, 2021, 14:12
 Jivaro

Feb 28, 2021, 13:51
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 13:51
Feb 28, 2021, 13:51

Sorry, too grim

Feb 28, 2021, 13:25
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 13:25
Feb 28, 2021, 13:25

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 12:11:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 10:57:
1. Minimum wage was NEVER meant to be a "living wage"... people need to get that through their thick skulls. It's an "entry to the work force" wage.

Incorrect. FDR, the President who created the minimum wage as part of the Fair Labor Standards Act, had this to say about it:

"In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country." (Emphasis mine)

Perhaps it would be wiser for people claiming the opposite to get it through "their thick skulls" that "entry to the work force wage" is the exact opposite of what the minimum wage was created for. An understanding of history helps.

Let's see... FDR's 25 cents per hour Minimum wage.... Adjusted for inflation, $0.25 in 1938 is equal to $4.52 in 2021.
You may want to play with the semantics of "living wage" of FDR's quotes, but the intention was to prevent people from starving (Earlier in your quote). Not provide a House, Car, etc. etc. etc.

The Auto industry DOUBLED their prices in the 70's or 80's. Minimum wage is supposed to cover that? That's not realistic. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, prices for new cars were 617.86% higher in 2021 versus 1935 (a $92,678.57 difference in value).
A car is a luxury.
Owning a house is pretty much a luxury, at least from the point of view of trying to buy one on Minimum wage.

You go to work, prove your worth and climb the ladder the best you can, like everyone else. Then you can afford a car and a house. These things are not an entitlement.

#2 It's already above FDR's starving standards ($4.52 vs $7.25)... but I defer it needing to be closer to the buying power numbers. Which BTW varies depending on the area, and federally is usually the lowest common denominator.
#3 My Kid is actually doing better than me (Asset Wise) and half my age. She started out with a part time Mc Donalds job living in some condemned rat trap... dropped out of college and figured out she didn't want that life. Joined the Military and between her and her recently retired NCO husband... they own 2 houses. Wow... she figured it out! Imagine that! No welfare... no stayaing at a dead end minimum wage job. She did good for herself. As for Grand Kids... don't have any yet.
#4 I wasn't trying to say it shouldn't be raised on that comment... I was actually trying to show the opposite. I do not think it is fair that it hasn't been raised in 12 years.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Feb 28, 2021, 13:17
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 13:17
Feb 28, 2021, 13:17

Scheherazade wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 12:56:
The same people that whine about how untrustworthy politicians are get all their news and science from politicians

Its downside is mainly that it doesn't reliably have an effect in every patient.
For some people they were recovering in half the time as others with the same condition at the time it was administered.

Since HCQ was created as a safer alternative to quinine for malaria treatment (Quinine is already safe enough to be sold at the grocery store (tonic water)), and HCQ is readily available, it's a decent add-on treatment to administer 'just in case it helps'.

HCQ was actually one of 3 compounds that China identified in the first few months as gaving some effect. They published their studies about it, which I read out of curiosity. HCQ was not actually the best compound, one other was twice as likely to help. But afaik HCQ was cheap and widely available.

It's a shame HCQ got politicised. It annoyed me how people dismissed it just because of the association with Trump.

-scheherazade

And here we go again spreading ignorant opinions 'cause hearsay and "reasons".
Those of a imbecile ignorant and willfully criminal president that heard about it in Fox or from a very interested big pharma donating "friend".

HCQ was dismissed because of the last full serious and finally complete scientific tests that required time and effort to produce.
And lives to be lost unfortunately : though not nearly as toxic as the other compound Scherezade mentions, HCQ has light noxious effects that will add to overwheming an already taxed organism.

Is China using it ?
No country is still supporting it, except Brasil's Trump, the wildly irresponsible Bolsonaro (who lost various Health Ministers already but what do doctors know, eh?), while panned by medics.

There are millions of dosis bought by the GOP states following the sainted word of their orange god, that nobody is using, nor wants, even free.

It's not people dismissing it, it's professionals, hospitals, doctors.
But every minute one clueless is born and all that.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2021, 13:34.

Feb 28, 2021, 12:59
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 12:59
Feb 28, 2021, 12:59

Simon Says wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 12:26:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 12:09:
But doubling it like this most likely will be measurable, that's what waiting so long to move that needle will do. The markets will adjust knowing there is more income. I'm not saying I'm against it. That is an issue with basic income, for example I'll sell my house for more, because the market will know there is greater buying power out there.

House pricing is not correlated to minimum wage, it's correlated to GDP and productivity, no worries for that particular sector. And that's one more reason to recouple minimum wage to productivity increase after its 1968 decoupling.

I don't understand how housing is correlated to GDP, sure they have things in common and probably have tendencies to rise and fall together to some degree. But housing is all market and what people qualify for. So if we had more (in general we do) prices go up (they have). The price of a house is what the sellers feel they can get out of it based on market trends and everyone wants the tippy top price. I'm not sitting here worrying what GDP is when selling my house, but what the market is. How many houses in my area for sale, how hot my market is, avg selling price, etc.

Feb 28, 2021, 12:56
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 12:56
Feb 28, 2021, 12:56

-scheherazade

Re: Saturday Tech Bits Need an Office
Feb 28, 2021, 12:51
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Need an Office Feb 28, 2021, 12:51
Feb 28, 2021, 12:51

As for the no need of offices for start ups.

Yes and No.

Back when I wore younger mans clothes, the 5 min run into someone and idea sharing in the hallways saved hours of meetings.
The halls had chairs and tables in nooks so those "Hey got a sec" moments could happen.
Fixed many things before they became a defect.

Some of that is lost in 3 times a week video call.

Less interruptions is great as is less overhead.
Yet when building a thing, idea sharing is essential.
Tech can solve it to a point, but the tech we are using atm seems to not generate these events.

Also the Tax laws on working form home to a chainsaw taken to them.

Feb 28, 2021, 12:43
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 12:43
Feb 28, 2021, 12:43

You have been watching demon sperm doctor too long.

Feb 28, 2021, 12:36
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 12:36
Feb 28, 2021, 12:36

Feb 28, 2021, 12:26
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 12:26
Feb 28, 2021, 12:26

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 12:09:
But doubling it like this most likely will be measurable, that's what waiting so long to move that needle will do. The markets will adjust knowing there is more income. I'm not saying I'm against it. That is an issue with basic income, for example I'll sell my house for more, because the market will know there is greater buying power out there.

House pricing is not correlated to minimum wage, it's correlated to GDP and productivity, no worries for that particular sector. And that's one more reason to recouple minimum wage to productivity increase after its 1968 decoupling.

In other sectors and this is pure speculation on my part, yes, it's not impossible that there might be a slight correction, lower than the increase, resulting in a net gain for min wage earners in their buying power, altho I have never known such corrections to be confirmed by any observations nor studies. One might want to dig the Seattle observations deeper for info on this. Or the aforementioned study of studies on inflation VS minimum wage.
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older