Get Black Desert Online for Free

Pearl Abyss is offering the chance to own Black Desert Online for free. You can claim your complimentary copy of the MMORPG on Steam between now and March 10th. Here's what you get for your nonexistent investment:
Black Desert Online is a sandbox, living-world MMORPG. Experience fast-paced, action-packed combat, hunt monsters and huge bosses, fight with friends in a guild to siege nodes and region castles, train your life skills such as fishing, trading, crafting, cooking, and much more!

Players will enjoy jaw-dropping graphics, intuitive skill-based combat, and an immersive story encased in our expansive world that’s just waiting to be explored. Accompanied by a Black Spirit, a companion whose destiny is intertwined with their own, players will discover the secret of the Black Stones and the history of their corrupting effects.
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free
Mar 7, 2021, 13:21
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Mar 7, 2021, 13:21
Mar 7, 2021, 13:21

Could someone let me know, about the account setup, at the very beginning of launch Steam?
I downloaded from Steam, there was no where to create an account I could find. Then at launch it pops up for name and birthday.
Is this asking for character name/account (in ESO my account is based on my main character) OR is this credit card info (real name and birth date)?
Most online sales don't usually check birth date as an identifier, against your credit card, for a sale.
It's extremely annoying this isn't made clear by the developer/publisher and the very next 'check marks' are for personal data gathering/required? (swear) wtf?

Did you guys use real name or character/pseudonym for account creation? (another example is Secret World, they use Steam name as a login now, iirc)
Think, I lose the game if I don't login by 3/10.

Thanks
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Feb 28, 2021, 17:35
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 28, 2021, 17:35
Feb 28, 2021, 17:35

Teddy wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 14:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 10:34:
Question of total ignorance: So, this is a MMORPG without a monthly fee and if I grab it off Steam I'll be good to go?
Correct. It is however a game that has a cash shop and is designed to be very grindy without buying things from it. An example is you have a fairly small inventory but can buy more slots, or buy a pet that acts as a bank or a vendor. Not strictly necessary, but if you get really into playing some of these things make life complicated enough that you almost feel like you need them.

I, myself, bought it years back and never paid an additional cent. I install it now and again and play a bit, try out the new classes that have been released since I played last (they seem to regularly add new classes). That said, I rarely play it for long so the lack of convenience items never really bothers me.
Can you compare it to Path of Exile? Similar setup, you can play without paying a cent. However, if you like the game and are going to play on any kind of regular basis, having more stash tabs and specialty stash tabs are really something you don't want to do without. That said, I've given more money than I probably should have to PoE, and don't particularly regret it.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 28, 2021, 14:17
Jivaro

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 28, 2021, 14:17
Feb 28, 2021, 14:17
 Jivaro

Acleacius wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 09:30:
I'm coop only player but what it sounds like is we need a mmog with ESO's sweeping story/content and BDO's combat/character creation!

That would be the dream right now, absolutely.

Feb 28, 2021, 14:15
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 28, 2021, 14:15
Feb 28, 2021, 14:15

Question of total ignorance: So, this is a MMORPG without a monthly fee and if I grab it off Steam I'll be good to go?

Correct. It is however a game that has a cash shop and is designed to be very grindy without buying things from it. An example is you have a fairly small inventory but can buy more slots, or buy a pet that acts as a bank or a vendor. Not strictly necessary, but if you get really into playing some of these things make life complicated enough that you almost feel like you need them.

I, myself, bought it years back and never paid an additional cent. I install it now and again and play a bit, try out the new classes that have been released since I played last (they seem to regularly add new classes). That said, I rarely play it for long so the lack of convenience items never really bothers me.

Feb 28, 2021, 14:13
Jivaro

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 28, 2021, 14:13
Feb 28, 2021, 14:13
 Jivaro

Yep.

Feb 28, 2021, 10:34
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 28, 2021, 10:34
Feb 28, 2021, 10:34

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 28, 2021, 09:30
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 28, 2021, 09:30
Feb 28, 2021, 09:30

I'm coop only player but what it sounds like is we need a mmog with ESO's sweeping story/content and BDO's combat/character creation!

Feb 27, 2021, 23:04
Jivaro

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 23:04
Feb 27, 2021, 23:04
 Jivaro

Pearl Abyss also makes Shadow Arena. This game uses the classes from BDO as well. Game description from their website:

Dynamic Team Action Battle Royale.
Enter a world of intense and action-packed combat
with a unique cooperative PvP team battle.

So, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds but with BDO classes. If that sounds more your bag I don't know, but the combat and the looks are the two best parts of BDO and this delivers those. It is strictly PVP though.

Feb 27, 2021, 21:38
Slick

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 21:38
Feb 27, 2021, 21:38
 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 27, 2021, 21:17:
It has probably the most dynamic combat of any MMO I've ever played, but yeah, it's very grindy/fetchy. I didn't stick with it very long, however I could see it being a decent time-waster if you're looking for something different. You just get into a combat zone and it's non-stop action until your damn inventory gets full and you have to go sort that out.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well, the combat is so dope. I mean the combat would be revolutionary for like a singleplayer RPG like Skyrim, but in an MMO where par-for-the-course is just queueing up spells and watching it happen... it's better than good, it's top notch.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 27, 2021, 21:17
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 21:17
Feb 27, 2021, 21:17

It has probably the most dynamic combat of any MMO I've ever played, but yeah, it's very grindy/fetchy. I didn't stick with it very long, however I could see it being a decent time-waster if you're looking for something different. You just get into a combat zone and it's non-stop action until your damn inventory gets full and you have to go sort that out.

Feb 27, 2021, 20:45
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 20:45
Feb 27, 2021, 20:45

I hear you, it's why I asked in my first post, what games are similar to this. It looked like an Asian Grinder, possibly pay to win.
Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of Asian games, just not the grinder, pay to win types.

Feb 27, 2021, 17:11
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 17:11
Feb 27, 2021, 17:11

Acleacius wrote on Feb 26, 2021, 22:31:
What other games does this one compare to, mostly pvp? It looked like several screens on Steam were of big guild type battles.
Oddly it looks like characters in the same class all look the same, so no character creation/adjustments?
I mean .. It's a super awesome character simulator (and I mean awesome) tacked onto a Korean gacha MMO. The game is garbage. Kind of. The combat mechanics are actually nice. but ... there's ... Korean MMO cash grab just everywhere. I say this as an ESO player; I wish BDO had a soul. I also wish ArcheAge and MortalOnline had souls too ... Don't waste your time on this one.

Feb 27, 2021, 16:13
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 16:13
Feb 27, 2021, 16:13

Thanks for the info jacobvandy and Jivaro.
It must have been the way the Steam Store page displayed the characters making them look the same based on class.

Feb 27, 2021, 13:57
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 13:57
Feb 27, 2021, 13:57

While the quests and storyline I found uninteresting, the game does have one of the most unique trading systems. Buying/farming/fishing goods from one area of the game and transporting them to another for profit while worrying about decay is something no other MMO I've seen does.

An example is say, fishing. You catch a bunch of fish off the coast. These fish are specific to that area and are not plentiful in a mountainous area further inland. If you sell them right at the nearest location by the shore you get some money for them, but not very much as the goods are commonplace there. Transport them to the mountains and sell them there and you get a significantly higher price. But you also have to take into account how long it will take you to transport the goods there and how fresh they'll be by the time they get there as decay will cause the sale price to drop as well.

If trading is your thing, you can make a full game out of being a merchant in this, moving goods from one section of the world to another. Buying horses and wagons to help move more goods faster.

Outside of that, the combat is actually fairly involved with a lot of combos to memorize for each class. Though on the surface it looks like you can just repeatedly spam a basic attack, to face higher level creatures you need to start paying attention to which specific moves and combos you're using to deal more damage and which individual abilities you've chosen to train.

PvP is a pretty big deal in the game, but I can't say I've ever tried it. Hate PvP in MMO's in general.

As already mentioned, the character creator is literally the gold standard by which all current games should measure themselves by. The sheer amount of detail and adjustments you can make can literally eat up hours of your time if you're that interested in creating a specific appearance.

Feb 27, 2021, 13:41
MattyC

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 13:41
Feb 27, 2021, 13:41
 MattyC

Jivaro wrote on Feb 27, 2021, 03:05:
One of the best character creation systems in the history of video games. Fantastic visuals.

I think it's better than Aion and Tera, which are comparable but older. At the end of the day, it's pretty and the combat can be fun, but the content never managed to hold my attention for very long.

This is under their new publisher right?

I don't remember if I actually played Aion, and I know I barely played any Tera, but otherwise I pretty much totally agree with this. It is unfortunate that they couldn't get a bit more meat on the bones of the game (and improve some of the translation), but it is a great looking game with a ton of character customization options. The underlying story isn't even half bad if you are willing to deal with what seems to be Google Translate level localization. Though a lot of the side quest type stuff is all over the place in terms of quality...
"I don't like being outside, Smithers... For one thing, there are too many fat children."

Feb 27, 2021, 03:05
Jivaro

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 27, 2021, 03:05
Feb 27, 2021, 03:05
 Jivaro

One of the best character creation systems in the history of video games. Fantastic visuals.

I think it's better than Aion and Tera, which are comparable but older. At the end of the day, it's pretty and the combat can be fun, but the content never managed to hold my attention for very long.

Feb 26, 2021, 23:55
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 26, 2021, 23:55
Feb 26, 2021, 23:55

Acleacius wrote on Feb 26, 2021, 22:31:
Oddly it looks like characters in the same class all look the same, so no character creation/adjustments?

Not true at all, the character creator is one of the most in-depth and detailed you'll find in any game. I know there are a ton of cosmetic options, too, so maybe what you saw was a case of too many people making the same kinds of hackneyed archetypes (big-boob bimbo, gargantuan strongman, cute little girl, etc.) and wearing standard gear?

Feb 26, 2021, 23:14
Kxmode

Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 26, 2021, 23:14
Feb 26, 2021, 23:14
 Kxmode

Free always comes with some restrictions. In BDO, free means it takes longer to level up, and without a pet, it is more challenging. The developers (who are now the publishers) want to funnel people into the store to buy things to make gameplay less burdensome.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 26, 2021, 22:31
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 26, 2021, 22:31
Feb 26, 2021, 22:31

What other games does this one compare to, mostly pvp? It looked like several screens on Steam were of big guild type battles.

Feb 26, 2021, 21:52
Re: Get Black Desert Online for Free Feb 26, 2021, 21:52
Feb 26, 2021, 21:52

I nabbed this the last time it was free. Played it for a few hours and lost interest. Visually, it looks great but other than that, it's fairly bland and grindy.
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older