Next Dragon Age Dropping Multiplayer: Report

A story on Bloomberg states that Electronic Arts is changing course on BioWare's upcoming Dragon Age game. It says "people familiar with the matter" reveal all multiplayer content is being removed from the next game in the series, which was previously planning on having a significant multiplayer component. The unconfirmed report says this decision was influenced by the success of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and the failure of the Anthem:
The diverging trajectories of two recent games changed the minds of Wilson and other executives at EA, according to the people. One was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a single-player game released in November 2019 that won critical acclaim and outperformed EA’s sales expectations, reaching more than 10 million players in its first four months. The second was BioWare’s Anthem, a multiplayer game that was widely panned when it launched. The games showed that single-player games could still be lucrative and that BioWare, traditionally known for its single-player, role-playing games, might be better off returning to its roots. A spokesman for EA declined to comment.
View : : :

Re: Next Dragon Age Dropping Multiplayer: Report
Feb 26, 2021, 07:38
Re: Next Dragon Age Dropping Multiplayer: Report Feb 26, 2021, 07:38
Feb 26, 2021, 07:38

The industry has moved on considerably since the release of the original game and I find it hard to get excited about this - I'm concerned it will be quite shallow and be limited in terms of decision making. Right now I'm still playing through Divinity: Original Sin 2 and I'm about 80hrs in - it's a revelation in terms of meaningful decision making and the important of varied tactics. And once I'm done I'll be looking to get Baldur's Gate 3, which is by the same developer and looks to increase the depth and quality substantially.

That said, I'm glad they've dropped multiplayer to focus on the core gameplay experience. It means there's at least a chance it will be done right. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
Date
Subject
Author
Feb 26, 07:38Feb 26 07:38
Re: Next Dragon Age Dropping Multiplayer: Report
Feb 26, 09:42Feb 26 09:42
Feb 26, 11:10Feb 26 11:10