BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project

An Anthem Update on the BioWare Blog announces that the efforts to save Anthem revealed a year ago will cease, and they are no longer working on the Anthem NEXT update to resurrect the multiplayer action/RPG. They do say the current version of Anthem will remain available. This means the report Bloomberg from a couple of weeks ago turned out to be accurate in predicting the company was in the process of deciding the game's fate. BioWare's Christian Dailey explains that the stress of working remotely during COVID-19 factored into the decision to give up on the game. He says BioWare's focus going forward will be the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect games while continuing support Star Wars: The Old Republic:
In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.

Since Anthem’s launch, the team has been working hard to continually improve the game, releasing multiple updates that brought with them a variety of improvements and introduced new content to play. Towards the end of 2019 we expanded on that effort and started working on a more fundamental restructure of the game.

During the development we’ve provided updates revealing some of the team’s work through blog posts and conversations with you on social media and it’s been inspiring for us to see the positive reactions and feedback. I’ve been incredibly proud of the work the team has been doing, and excited to see and play each new build of the experience.

2020 was a year unlike any other however and while we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams.

I know this will be disappointing to the community of Anthem players who have been excited to see the improvements we’ve been working on. It’s also disappointing for the team who were doing brilliant work. And for me personally, Anthem is what brought me to BioWare, and the last two years have been some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my career.

Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

To the Anthem community, thank you for your passion and creativity. Your feedback and suggestions most certainly help shape the team’s direction, and on a personal note, your kindness and encouragement were much needed last year.

Please stay safe and be kind to each other. Strong alone, stronger together.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project
Feb 24, 2021, 19:21
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 19:21
Feb 24, 2021, 19:21

I'm sure the three remaining players will be crushed.

Feb 24, 2021, 20:14
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 20:14
Feb 24, 2021, 20:14

End Anthem support and blame it on COVID-19 is the BEST move for Bioware in recent years.

EA graveyard is preparing the space now....
“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Feb 24, 2021, 20:27
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 20:27
Feb 24, 2021, 20:27

Avus wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 20:14:
EA graveyard is preparing the space now....

Pretty sure I read this exact thing back in 2007 when EA bought them.
Burrito of Peace wrote:
tell them their DMCA doesn't mean shit and to go eat a bowl of dicks.
Formerly known as NKD

Feb 24, 2021, 20:39
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 20:39
Feb 24, 2021, 20:39

The question is, will anyone (with a functioning mind) EVER buy an EA or Bioware game again?

Feb 24, 2021, 20:45
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 20:45
Feb 24, 2021, 20:45

Yeah, they'll keep it online for another year...maybe. So anyone who bought this turd is screwed. Best reason ever to avoid games as a service/online only.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Feb 24, 2021, 20:52
Jivaro

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 20:52
Feb 24, 2021, 20:52
 Jivaro

I am not sure I follow EAs process here, someone spot me...

1) Make overhyped game
2) Release overhyped game that is underwhelming even if you discounted the hype
3) During the entire duration of the game's existence, promise to improve it
4) Not actually improve it
5) Quit on it and move on to sequel #whatever in two franchises that have also been overhyped and underwhelming on their most recent releases
6) Profit?

Anthem has to be one of the most mismanaged titles in recent history.

Feb 24, 2021, 22:04
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 22:04
Feb 24, 2021, 22:04

I'm certainly done with BioWare after this. I still remember all of the promised content, such as skill trees that go with your pilot level, new chapters, a dynamic environment, etc. etc. All that was provided was the half-baked Cataclysm and promises of a reboot that never came. I just hope consumers hold onto their wallets when it comes to both BioWare and EA. Plenty of other companies have over-promised and under-delivered, such as Hello Games with No Man's Sky, or even Massive with Division 2, but they at least steadily improved their product to help regain trust.

TLDR; EA bad, no buy.

Feb 24, 2021, 22:11
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 22:11
Feb 24, 2021, 22:11

Hopefully Anthem will be a learning lesson for what's left of BioWare, the game looked generic and boring from the very first trailer and nothing ever changed. Look forward to another Dragon Age someday, always liked that series.

Feb 24, 2021, 22:17
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 22:17
Feb 24, 2021, 22:17

Squirrel King wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 22:04:
I'm certainly done with BioWare after this. I still remember all of the promised content, such as skill trees that go with your pilot level, new chapters, a dynamic environment, etc. etc. All that was provided was the half-baked Cataclysm and promises of a reboot that never came. I just hope consumers hold onto their wallets when it comes to both BioWare and EA. Plenty of other companies have over-promised and under-delivered, such as Hello Games with No Man's Sky, or even Massive with Division 2, but they at least steadily improved their product to help regain trust.

TLDR; EA bad, no buy.

Same with me, I was really looking forward to seeing the new changes, it really sounded like it was going to move in the right direction. Well, EA can fuck themselves now, they bit the hand that feeds them, and I wont be supporting them for a very long time after this BS
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Feb 24, 2021, 22:48
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 22:48
Feb 24, 2021, 22:48

My friend hyped this game up so much. I played with him one night and it was one of the most excruciating games I've played in a really long time. There was nothing enjoyable about it. Fortunately there was a weird bug where the game kept crashing on my machine whenever we fought this one boss. After 2 crashes (AMD cpu related?) I noped out and never came back.

Feb 24, 2021, 22:57
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 22:57
Feb 24, 2021, 22:57

Well, hopefully EA/Bioware learned that Frostbyte was never going to work for Anthem. Hopefully they don't try to shoehorn versions of Frostbyte into other RPGs/ARPGs.

You can't fix a game when the problems start at engine level, unless you're going to replace the entire engine, and they were never going to spend that kind of money and time on Anthem NEXT.

I'm not even sure why they publicly said they were going to try to fix the game like... two weeks ago? Three? When clearly they had their C or D team left on it. Possibly some unpaid interns?

Old school Blizzard-ish in their decision to finally fucking drop Anthem though, good for them.

Feb 24, 2021, 23:18
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 24, 2021, 23:18
Feb 24, 2021, 23:18

Servers up for 1 full year: 90%
Servers up for 2 years: 40%
Servers up for 3 years: 10%

Feb 25, 2021, 00:34
Kxmode

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 00:34
Feb 25, 2021, 00:34
 Kxmode

I called this a Games as a Service (GAAS).

Source 1, February 16, 2019

With the recent cancellations of various single-player Star Wars games, EA has made it clear that they don't want to invest in long-term projects, and Anthem is a game that needs that. Instead, they want functional products that can become Games-as-a-Service (GAAS). If you think about it makes cents. Why would EA spend a lot of money to have BioWare fully develop the game at the level of BioWare past products?

The fact that Anthem launches with a single biome and the sameness of missions reeks of a game that had its core mechanics lockdown, much polish added, and then shipped to make more money so that BioWare can add more content (and prove the point that GAAS works). Meanwhile, EA touts the game's commercial success to shareholders, while simultaneously validating that they don't need to spend tens of millions to produce proper full games that a company like BioWare can achieve. In effect, Anthem is an experiment.

Source 2, February 21, 2019

Anthem is a financial experiment. With P2W loot crates on the verge of disappearing from backlash and legal challenges, EA is looking for new revenue sources. Anthem is an experiment with Software-as-a-Service.

Traditional SAAS are unfinished cloud apps. The developer can constantly iterate on and make improvements. That's fine with SAAS products for business. The problem with SAAS for games (e.g., Games-as-a-Service) is that EA doesn't have to ship a completed product. They only need to ship a working one. BioWare can constantly iterate on the product over the long term based on subscription money.

Source 3, February 21, 2019

Except on the menu, it states very clearly "$15 ... Steak Dinner." If you paid $15 for a steak dinner, you expect the full experience. Likewise, if you paid full price or subscribed to Origin to play a video game then you expect the full experience. EA is using BioWare's reputation to pitch Anthem as a feature-rich, full BioWare experience when in reality it is not.

Ultimately, the point isn't about the subjective nature of money's worth. It's about EA not being honest and telling people what Anthem is. Of course, they would never do so because once the reality of Anthem settles in the game is going to tank hard. For some, they got it right away. For others, it's going to take a few weeks or months. But eventually, everyone is going to understand Anthem for what it is. A full priced, microtransaction riddled, early access Games-as-a-Service experiment.

And with this announcement, I rest my case.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Feb 25, 2021, 00:44
Kxmode

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 00:44
Feb 25, 2021, 00:44
 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 20:14:
End Anthem support and blame it on COVID-19 ...

Why not? It's quite fashionable these days.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Feb 25, 2021, 01:18
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 01:18
Feb 25, 2021, 01:18

After all this, the senior execs finally made a good decision. So I guess they won’t be getting bonuses this year?

Feb 25, 2021, 02:12
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 02:12
Feb 25, 2021, 02:12

You guys are way to god damn lenient. This is why anthem was allowed to exist. Bioware isn't just a toxic game maker, they are farking toxic! They will lie, they will release incomplete games to huge hype... and they will say F you, thanks for the money, see you next game.

The only thing anyone learned from this is the saying is still true, a fool and his money are soon parted. And so many gamers are fools. You guys are lining up to be fleeced once more. And even concieving that the new dragons age will be a good game is a fools errand. You have no grounds to believe that it will be anything more than an incomplete mess.

I had hopes bioware would save their companies name, alas they have not.

Feb 25, 2021, 02:15
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 02:15
Feb 25, 2021, 02:15

A lot of people here bought into Anthem, no wait, they preordered it and thought it was gonna be the second coming. Boys and Girls. Never. Pre-order. Games.

Feb 25, 2021, 03:29
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 03:29
Feb 25, 2021, 03:29

The only relevant news part here is that they promised to overhaul it and they did not. Now they blame covid ... in reality Anthem should have been canned on prototype stage.

Feb 25, 2021, 03:32
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 03:32
Feb 25, 2021, 03:32

As I understand it this still made decent money from preorders and early adopters. Which means EA learns nothing. I would consider that people learn not to buy into hype and wait until reviews as a silver lining, but we know that will never happen.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 25, 2021, 04:00
Rigs

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 04:00
Feb 25, 2021, 04:00
 Rigs

In the time that I've spent lately on the sidelines of gaming while figuring out IRL stuff, every time I take a peek back in makes me more and more sure that the gaming industry I fell in love with all those years ago died...oh, probably around the time of the Daikatana controversy. (Not to mention Derek Smart's unfortunate run-in with a Coke machine. Desktop Commander was a killer app, though. ) This industry had so much promise back in the late 80's and 90's. Sigh

Suck it down, indeed.

=-Rigs-=
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer