BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project

An Anthem Update on the BioWare Blog announces that the efforts to save Anthem revealed a year ago will cease, and they are no longer working on the Anthem NEXT update to resurrect the multiplayer action/RPG. They do say the current version of Anthem will remain available. This means the report Bloomberg from a couple of weeks ago turned out to be accurate in predicting the company was in the process of deciding the game's fate. BioWare's Christian Dailey explains that the stress of working remotely during COVID-19 factored into the decision to give up on the game. He says BioWare's focus going forward will be the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect games while continuing support Star Wars: The Old Republic:
In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.

Since Anthem’s launch, the team has been working hard to continually improve the game, releasing multiple updates that brought with them a variety of improvements and introduced new content to play. Towards the end of 2019 we expanded on that effort and started working on a more fundamental restructure of the game.

During the development we’ve provided updates revealing some of the team’s work through blog posts and conversations with you on social media and it’s been inspiring for us to see the positive reactions and feedback. I’ve been incredibly proud of the work the team has been doing, and excited to see and play each new build of the experience.

2020 was a year unlike any other however and while we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams.

I know this will be disappointing to the community of Anthem players who have been excited to see the improvements we’ve been working on. It’s also disappointing for the team who were doing brilliant work. And for me personally, Anthem is what brought me to BioWare, and the last two years have been some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my career.

Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

To the Anthem community, thank you for your passion and creativity. Your feedback and suggestions most certainly help shape the team’s direction, and on a personal note, your kindness and encouragement were much needed last year.

Please stay safe and be kind to each other. Strong alone, stronger together.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project
Feb 26, 2021, 11:35
Jivaro

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 26, 2021, 11:35
Feb 26, 2021, 11:35
 Jivaro

From Wiki to Forbes, the definition of GAAS includes MMOs.

Not saying they couldn't be wrong...but I can't find anywhere that doesn't include MMOs in the definition.

Feb 25, 2021, 22:38
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 22:38
Feb 25, 2021, 22:38

Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:34:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:32:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:27:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 20:02:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 16:59:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 04:35:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 00:34:
I called this a Games as a Service (GAAS).

You called an MMO a GAAS and want some kind of investigatory credit or something?
That's what MMOs or online only games are basically by definition.

I never called MMOs a GAAS product.

"What is NOT a GAAS:
- World of Warcraft isn't a GAAS because vanilla WOW launched as a complete feature product where a player could experience the entire game from start to finish (up to level 60)."

Posted Oct 7, 2019

Well you are 100% wrong on that one...
MMOs are the quintessential example of games as a service. Perhaps you should look it up.

You keep saying this repeatedly, and I keep reminding you that I work for an eCommerce company that builds "AAS" software. So I know what I'm talking about when applied to "AAS" software (and it equally applies to Games-as-a-Service). As I repeatedly stated ad nauseam, anything "AAS" represents something continuously integrated upon (that is to say, the product is incomplete). MMOs aren't "AAS" products because the products release as completed products. Any additional content they release doesn't finish the existing product. Instead, it expands it. We call those expansions and DLCs. Again, those are not "AAS" products.

I've literally been working as an enterprise software developer for 12 years making SaaS product... so that credential on your side isn't going to sway me to disregard that MMOs are games as a service... and all explanations and examples, save for this passionate guy on this forum, call MMOs an example of GAAS.

You can your viewpoint and I can have mind. We can agree to disagree.

It's not just you and I disagreeing, it's you disagreeing with everyone.
You have a personal definition that's not reflected in either the industry or common parlance or really logic for that matter.

Feb 25, 2021, 22:34
Kxmode

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 22:34
Feb 25, 2021, 22:34
 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:32:

You called an MMO a GAAS and want some kind of investigatory credit or something?

"What is NOT a GAAS:
- World of Warcraft isn't a GAAS because vanilla WOW launched as a complete feature product where a player could experience the entire game from start to finish (up to level 60)."

Posted Oct 7, 2019

MMOs are the quintessential example of games as a service. Perhaps you should look it up.

You keep saying this repeatedly, and I keep reminding you that I work for an eCommerce company that builds "AAS" software. So I know what I'm talking about when applied to "AAS" software (and it equally applies to Games-as-a-Service). As I repeatedly stated ad nauseam, anything "AAS" represents something continuously integrated upon (that is to say, the product is incomplete). MMOs aren't "AAS" products because the products release as completed products. Any additional content they release doesn't finish the existing product. Instead, it expands it. We call those expansions and DLCs. Again, those are not "AAS" products.

I've literally been working as an enterprise software developer for 12 years making SaaS product... so that credential on your side isn't going to sway me to disregard that MMOs are games as a service... and all explanations and examples, save for this passionate guy on this forum, call MMOs an example of GAAS.

You can your viewpoint and I can have mind. We can agree to disagree.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 25, 2021, 22:32
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 22:32
Feb 25, 2021, 22:32

"What is NOT a GAAS:

Posted Oct 7, 2019

I've literally been working as an enterprise software developer for 12 years making SaaS product... so that credential on your side isn't going to sway me to disregard that MMOs are games as a service... and all explanations and examples, save for this one passionate guy on this forum, call MMOs an example of GAAS.

Feb 25, 2021, 22:27
Kxmode

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 22:27
Feb 25, 2021, 22:27
 Kxmode

"What is NOT a GAAS:

Posted Oct 7, 2019

If the publisher is honest with their consumers, they will go early access to make it explicitly clear they are playing a CI/CD product. What EA did was release Anthem under the pretense that it was a feature-complete product. In reality, it was a Games-as-a-Service that would have had continuously integrated development over the long term had it survived.

Fallout 76 is one game where GaaS appeared to turn out okay. The game is doing well, from what I heard. However, it doesn't justify the dishonesty Bethesda put forth in marketing it as a feature-complete product for launch.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 25, 2021, 20:02
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 20:02
Feb 25, 2021, 20:02

"What is NOT a GAAS:

Posted Oct 7, 2019

Feb 25, 2021, 16:59
Kxmode

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 16:59
Feb 25, 2021, 16:59
 Kxmode

"What is NOT a GAAS:

Posted Oct 7, 2019

Feb 25, 2021, 16:46
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 16:46
Feb 25, 2021, 16:46

Don't know what happened to Bioware, but the name no longer means much to me. I tried the Anthem demo, I recall--was completely uninspired--zipping around under water for some reason that wasn't entirely clear, etc.

You know, maybe if Electronic Arts hands over creative control to the studios instead of their bean counters we will get better games from them. How things have changed since the EA of the 80's you could call on the phone and speak with a programmer who would cheerfully answer my dumb questions...;) OK...no more nostalgia...the good old days werent' really all that good...;) Today is Nirvana compared to how slowly things moved in hardware and software in those days. (No idea where that thought string just came from...;) I can't be doddering...yet...!...;) No!)
It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.

Feb 25, 2021, 16:17
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 16:17
Feb 25, 2021, 16:17

Maybe my ideal:
- Anthem's flight and combat
- Borderland's gun variety
- Destiny's enemy variety and enemy damage model

Feb 25, 2021, 16:15
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 16:15
Feb 25, 2021, 16:15

True story on how I got this game for free.

My son, pre-ordered this game for me for my birthday. this was a few months before the game released. Saw a charge on his credit card forgetting that he pre-bought me the game. disputed the charge. got his money back. my account then gets banned, I fight the ban, explaining what happened, they undo the ban, forgetting that I didn't buy the game. game was still in my library and active. Cant beat that!!!

Still bummed that they are not going to fix the game though.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Feb 25, 2021, 15:15
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 15:15
Feb 25, 2021, 15:15

20mins into Anthem and I felt constrained and bored, like the game shouldve been a LOT more, and was a shallow front end for a way cooler game - that it never became.

Feb 25, 2021, 14:00
Slick

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 14:00
Feb 25, 2021, 14:00
 Slick

Ionno, movie studios put out bad movies sometimes, people don't usually boycott studios. Most people don't even know what company or companies are responsible for making the movies or television they watch.

So Anthem was a bomb, the idea that Bioware will never make another good game is kind of ridiculous.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 25, 2021, 13:18
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 13:18
Feb 25, 2021, 13:18

That’s really to bad, I still feel that Anthem had so much potential despite some flaws... but nope the poor’s who refuse to upgrade their pc’s had to whine about it until it got canceled.

Feb 25, 2021, 12:25
Verno

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 12:25
Feb 25, 2021, 12:25
 Verno

I don't like to see new IP fail and I really love a comeback story. It was apparent that this game had too little base to draw on though. Generic looter shooter with flight is not enough. It lacked personality and anything that really set it apart from any other bullet sponge shooter. The mission designs were ho-hum, the engine had huge limitations for the kind of game they were trying to make and it suffered from a variety of technical problems at launch as well.

At some point you are throwing good money after bad and it's fine that they decided to move on rather than dump trucking money into a project that was already a failure. FortNite was a large failure before it pivot'd but FortNite is lightning in a bottle and battle royales were quite popular when it started to go viral. Looter shooters are a dime a dozen and there's a ton of free competition to boot. RIP Anthem, whatever the hell you were trying to be.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Feb 25, 2021, 11:42
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 11:42
Feb 25, 2021, 11:42

I fricken loved this game but had to stop due to breaking scripts that kept us from completing a mission.
Great potential but when it broke I had a hard time staying.
Got it through Origin premium
-------------------------------------------
Where's my BB gun?

Feb 25, 2021, 11:17
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 11:17
Feb 25, 2021, 11:17

Bleh. Everyone's mileage will vary, but Anthem had so much potential. I pre-ordered, but only after getting into the free beta and trying it, so I felt like it was a mostly-informed decision. The gameplay itself is nearly there - a few tweaks are needed. (Bullet sponge enemies, being the most irritating part.) Scrap the entire voice acted walking around town waste of time. Add some more mission content. MAYBE a biome, but I wouldn't even care about that all that much since the existing map has a lot of variety as is, along with all the underground instances. Make the interface a bit less confusing. It wouldn't have been hard. The game has good bones. The fact that they couldn't even do those few tweaks is laughable. I was intending to check out the Mass Effect remake, since I've never played those but, nah, not anymore.

Feb 25, 2021, 10:51
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 10:51
Feb 25, 2021, 10:51

Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 00:44:
Avus wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 20:14:
End Anthem support and blame it on COVID-19 ...

Why not? It's quite fashionable these days.

But it's also the truth.
Dev Teams (especially for large publishers) have teams ranging from 20 to 200+ people. Throw in a pandemic and social distancing and you're taking a dev team that is typically together in person for 1-3 years, having to work from home and loosing a ton of dev time.
Analogy time: Wal-Marts vs induvial stores. Pre-Pandemic ya just went to wal-mart where everything was under one roof. During Pandemic instead of going to wal-mart to buy clothes, food, pet food, automotive stuff, you have to go to each store individually. Go to 1 store, get your stuff back to the car, drive to the next store etc etc.

Also once the Doctors Left Bioware it has never been the same. Mass Effect 3's multiple choice of bad ending was the first sign of this. Then the Founders left. And lets just throw in how EA buys companies and either milks them till they bleed (The Sims, btw anyone know what happened to Will Wright?), or they try something with a franchise and it just doesn't work (Athem), or just isn't as good as the old games (Mass Effect Andromeda). Athem has a small team working on the NEXT Project, but if you're a number crusher, continuing Athem's NEXT Project wasn't gonna happen.

Feb 25, 2021, 09:50
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 09:50
Feb 25, 2021, 09:50

NKD wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 20:27:
Avus wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 20:14:
EA graveyard is preparing the space now....

Pretty sure I read this exact thing back in 2007 when EA bought them.

Pretty sure Bioware has been dead for a while thanks to EA. EA just hasn't buried them yet (aka scrapped the studio)... they will let it rot unil the name is damaged enough, and then bury it... probably by making the name a different function, like Origin.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Feb 25, 2021, 06:40
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 06:40
Feb 25, 2021, 06:40

As long as saps Biker are dumb enough to pre-order hyped games, and/or buy new games on day one of release, these kinds of hijinks will continue or more than likely increase in frequency.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Feb 25, 2021, 05:06
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 05:06
Feb 25, 2021, 05:06

Prez wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 03:32:
As I understand it this still made decent money from preorders and early adopters. Which means EA learns nothing. I would consider that people learn not to buy into hype and wait until reviews as a silver lining, but we know that will never happen.
Sounds like a great business model!

1. Hype up game
2. Make money on the pre-orders and early sales
3. Release half-finished game
4. Promise a galaxy of support and vows to finish game
5. Announce difficult decision to end support.
6. Go to step 1 for next game.
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older