PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games

Sony tweets that Days Gone will be coming to PC this spring, offering a new way to play this survival game. There's an interview with PlayStation’s Jim Ryan on British GQ (thanks Gematsu) saying this will be followed by more PlayStation games:
Fair enough. So releasing PlayStation games on PC was something that Sony PlayStation held back on for a long time. Now it sounds like you’re very much on that bandwagon. What changed?
I think a few things changed. We find ourselves now in early 2021 with our development studios and the games that they make in better shape than they’ve ever been before. Particularly from the latter half of the PS4 cycle our studios made some wonderful, great games. There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward. The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved. Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make.

This is following on from your publishing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC in August last year. How did that go?
We assessed the exercise in two ways. Firstly, in terms of the straightforward success of the activity of publishing the game on PC, people liked it and they bought it. We also looked at it through the lens of what the PlayStation community thought about it. There was no massive adverse reaction to it. So we will continue to take mission steps in this direction.
View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games
Feb 24, 2021, 15:24
Jivaro

Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 24, 2021, 15:24
Feb 24, 2021, 15:24
 Jivaro

The Last of Us games will lose quite a bit of challenge with a mouse and keyboard. At least for me. Playing a game with a gamepad that shoots anything but soccer balls is 100% of the challenge for me on a console. The story is totally worth it IMO tho, if you haven't played them on PS.

Feb 24, 2021, 03:36
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 24, 2021, 03:36
Feb 24, 2021, 03:36

Quinn wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 19:21:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 12:40:
Quinn wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 12:19:
As for your Last of Us wish.... Don't you think that will be one of those games that just won't translate well to the platform of the Master Race? I do. I think it will be a whole lot of "meh", while I also completely understand it's a hit on consoles and rightfully so.

Well, I literally have not played either LoU game, so I don't know, but were there some console-specific things that you think wouldn't translate well for some reason? I thought it was a combination of the great storyline/characters in addition to good gameplay, world design, etc. that made those games popular, not some controller or console specific element.

For me and people in my same circumstances (posess tons of PC games and great gaming PCs, no strong desire to buy consoles), I'd like to see The Last of Us series on PC so the interested few (or many) can finally play it.

Personally it looks like a great cinematic experience with very barebone game mechanics to connect cinematic cutscenes A with B. To me, that's fairly typical for a console game. It's also fine for consoles, what with the couch/social setting in the living room mostly and the limiting controller. I just can't imagine its reception will be even remotely as positive on PC as it is on consoles.

And that's why I have a GPU with dual HDMI outputs - one to my desktop display. For keyboard/mouse, and one to a 15 metre HDMI 2.1 cable that allows me to play 4k 120Hz on my 77" OLED from the couch with an Xbox Elite 2 controller. Now that's what you call #pcmasterrace

Feb 24, 2021, 03:32
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 24, 2021, 03:32
Feb 24, 2021, 03:32

YurtFreak wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 13:23:
Isn't the metacritic score for Days Gone, like, 72?

I remember the game being panned when it first came out. Maybe it got better with updates?

If you're a fan of zombie games, it's absolutely brilliant. Most of the flak it got at launch was due to bugs and woeful performance - both of which are solved in the PS5 version. The engine just pushed the original PS4 hardware way too hard, with framerates dropping into the teens. On PS5 it's a rock solid 60fps @ 4K. If the PC version comes with a few graphical updates, especially improving the slightly low draw distance, I think it'll review especially well. It's one of my fave games of the last generation.

Feb 24, 2021, 03:28
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 24, 2021, 03:28
Feb 24, 2021, 03:28

Days gone... Meh but I'll take bloodborne or demons souls remake haha

Feb 24, 2021, 01:47
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 24, 2021, 01:47
Feb 24, 2021, 01:47

Quinn wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 19:21:
Personally it looks like a great cinematic experience with very barebone game mechanics to connect cinematic cutscenes A with B. To me, that's fairly typical for a console game.

Sounds like you need to play Dark Souls.

Feb 23, 2021, 20:05
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 20:05
Feb 23, 2021, 20:05

MoreLuckThanSkill, as others have said controls on HZD are good/great much better port than most previous game ports.

Quinn, couldn't agree more about TLoU. While I've never played it, I watched it as cutscene movie and was very impressed with the cinematic experience.
As long as they give us a good port, doesn't have to be the greatest ever, just good, I'd be happy.

Edit: Same with Days Gone, would love to try it. I've heard it was really buggy but that was a year or so ago and plus as long as the port is decent.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2021, 23:45.
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Feb 23, 2021, 19:21
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 19:21
Feb 23, 2021, 19:21

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 12:40:
As for your Last of Us wish.... Don't you think that will be one of those games that just won't translate well to the platform of the Master Race? I do. I think it will be a whole lot of "meh", while I also completely understand it's a hit on consoles and rightfully so.

Well, I literally have not played either LoU game, so I don't know, but were there some console-specific things that you think wouldn't translate well for some reason? I thought it was a combination of the great storyline/characters in addition to good gameplay, world design, etc. that made those games popular, not some controller or console specific element.

For me and people in my same circumstances (posess tons of PC games and great gaming PCs, no strong desire to buy consoles), I'd like to see The Last of Us series on PC so the interested few (or many) can finally play it.

Personally it looks like a great cinematic experience with very barebone game mechanics to connect cinematic cutscenes A with B. To me, that's fairly typical for a console game. It's also fine for consoles, what with the couch/social setting in the living room mostly and the limiting controller. I just can't imagine its reception will be even remotely as positive on PC as it is on consoles.

Feb 23, 2021, 19:15
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 19:15
Feb 23, 2021, 19:15

Did anyone read those answers to those two interview questions? Wtf, I laughed on the inside.

Q1). So Sony is finally porting their games to PC. What gives?
A1). We always made cheap, shitty games. Now they are expensive and awesome so we want to share it with a broader audience.

Q2). How did the publishing of Zero Dawn for PC go?
A2). Our selfish, shitty users didn't tear down the house when we let PC gamers play a previously PS exclusive -- pfew! -- so we can continue this practice. We wouldn't have otherwise.

Feb 23, 2021, 19:12
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 19:12
Feb 23, 2021, 19:12

YurtFreak wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 13:23:

I remember the game being panned when it first came out. Maybe it got better with updates?

I bought and played the game on launch. It is much better than I expected it would be. It has a great, detailed open world, and really nails the look of the Great Northwest. Taking out zombie nests was always a lot of fun, and can get very tense. It does zombie hordes very well. The only issue I had was with the protagonist not being very likeable. He even looks like a total douchebag. As I got further into the game, it bothered me less, but it took a while.

Feb 23, 2021, 17:38
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 17:38
Feb 23, 2021, 17:38

Shitty ports of shitty console games, gee, where can I sign up for that?! Wry
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Feb 23, 2021, 14:44
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 14:44
Feb 23, 2021, 14:44

Pretty sure the biggest issue for DG was from a technical aspect where it was really pushing the console. Texture issues, pop ins and such.

Feb 23, 2021, 14:37
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 14:37
Feb 23, 2021, 14:37

Days Gone is great, I don't care what critics said. Too few post-apocalyptic survival games put an emphasis on your transportation, and in this game the motorcycle really is your closest companion. Then you have the best dynamic zombie horde system ever created, even though the instances where it truly gets a chance to shine are relatively few and far between. That's where I think this game can really benefit from a PC version, more so than Horizon -- hopefully modders will be able to do some more with the horde mechanics, really ramp it up beyond what the console hardware allowed for.

Feb 23, 2021, 13:52
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 13:52
Feb 23, 2021, 13:52

Orogogus wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 13:33:
Hornet303 wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 13:12:
Fion wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 12:44:
Nice. Day's Gone is supposedly really good.

For anyone wondering why Sony is suddenly starting to release PS4 games on PC, well it's because they are missing out on the biggest game market in the world otherwise. For the last several years in a row now, PC games have outsold all console game sales combined.

I was under the impression this is opposite. Can you link me to any articles giving these details? I've always been interested in platform populations.

I don't think it's true. I believe it's agreed that mobile games have been the leader for the past few years, with PC and console clawing for second place, approximately in a 2:1:1 ratio. Where PC revenues are strong, it's in microtransactions, particularly for free-to-play titles and especially in Asia. One report from last year (the first Google hit for PC vs console sales), talking about 2019:

Despite the growth in PC gaming, consoles still make up a larger portion of the gaming market. Consoles account for 30% of the 2019 global gaming market at $45.3 billion. PCs fall slightly behind with 24% market share or $35.3 billion. Mobile, which we’ll discuss shortly, represents the biggest market with 46% share or $68.2 billion.

Thanks for this. I did some searches and found similar results. I think we all agree Mobile makes up the most. PC has a really high potential, considering pretty much everyone needs to use a PC. Im sure MS is looking to expand into PC because of the population, and Sony is trying to make sure that MS doesnt dominate. I'll be interesting to see if Steam gives up market share to Xbox on PC.

Feb 23, 2021, 13:33
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 13:33
Feb 23, 2021, 13:33

Hornet303 wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 13:12:

For anyone wondering why Sony is suddenly starting to release PS4 games on PC, well it's because they are missing out on the biggest game market in the world otherwise. For the last several years in a row now, PC games have outsold all console game sales combined.

I was under the impression this is opposite. Can you link me to any articles giving these details? I've always been interested in platform populations.

I don't think it's true. I believe it's agreed that mobile games have been the leader for the past few years, with PC and console clawing for second place, approximately in a 2:1:1 ratio. Where PC revenues are strong, it's in microtransactions, particularly for free-to-play titles and especially in Asia. One report from last year (the first Google hit for PC vs console sales), talking about 2019:

Despite the growth in PC gaming, consoles still make up a larger portion of the gaming market. Consoles account for 30% of the 2019 global gaming market at $45.3 billion. PCs fall slightly behind with 24% market share or $35.3 billion. Mobile, which we’ll discuss shortly, represents the biggest market with 46% share or $68.2 billion.

Feb 23, 2021, 13:23
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 13:23
Feb 23, 2021, 13:23

Feb 23, 2021, 13:12
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 13:12
Feb 23, 2021, 13:12

Feb 23, 2021, 12:58
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 12:58
Feb 23, 2021, 12:58

This is great news! The more games on PC, the better.

Feb 23, 2021, 12:44
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 12:44
Feb 23, 2021, 12:44

Feb 23, 2021, 12:40
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 12:40
Feb 23, 2021, 12:40

Feb 23, 2021, 12:28
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 12:28
Feb 23, 2021, 12:28

Best news I've heard for a while. Was really hoping Days Gone would come to the PC. Wish Granted!!!

Now, they need to release the Last of us, both of them on pc.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older