Blockenstein wrote on Feb 22, 2021, 10:43:
The features you dismissed with your "gimme a break" comment are exactly why games on EGS are sub-standard. Epic laid out a roadmap almost two years ago laying out all the features they would bring to EGS 'soon', which included most of the standard things everyone expects from a modern digital storefront. They missed every milestone and never delivered on any of it. If your game and/or platform is lacking features that are standard everywhere else, then by definition your product is sub-standard. That is literally what it means.
I haven't looked at their roadmap, but I think Epic has implemented cloud saves, DLC, wishlists, refunds and a download manager in the last few years. So they must have achieved some of their goals.
Aside from chat, achievements and multiplayer, I can think of the following benefits that Steam offers:
- Proton to support Linux gaming
- Physical gift cards for people who want to buy digital games with cash
- Remote Play to stream to a TV or other device in the home
- Steam Link to stream to tablets, phones and other devices
- Remote Play Together to play co-op games with friends on a single account
- Steam Workshop for games that don't have all their mods hosted on NexusMods or the like
- Global controller remapping
- Family share to let more than one person play games from the same account