66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer

Re: Morning Metaverse
Feb 11, 2021, 12:22
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 12:22
Feb 11, 2021, 12:22

The only thing TikTok did was provide a platform for normal Americans to troll the thin skinned 45.
It was never a threat to the United States or its citizens.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Feb 11, 2021, 13:19
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 13:19
Feb 11, 2021, 13:19

Gina Carano was the worst actor on the show, so I can't say I'll miss her all that much, but wow, what a boneheaded move to post something that inflamatory on Instagram when you work for Disney. I can only assume she already knew she was fired because of her posts in November, but now it's going to be hard for her to get an acting job anywhere. Talk about career suicide.

Re: Bye bye Cara Dune
Feb 11, 2021, 13:28
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 13:28
Feb 11, 2021, 13:28

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children,” Carano wrote Instagram. “Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.”

I get the whole Godwin's law thing. And, so far, we've avoided the horrors of a final solution. But, am I reading this wrong? I see this as talking about Trump's relentless racist and ideological propaganda to incite "very fine people" to violence.

Feb 11, 2021, 13:39
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 13:39
Feb 11, 2021, 13:39

Hmm, maybe we could just put Trump voters into camps? JUST KIDDING.

It is unclear if she is really biased against Jews or is just an idiot parroting something she read which she really doesn't understand is stupid and insensitive. (yes, I am taking it easy on her) All that said, even if she is just an idiot, both words and actions have consequences.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 11, 2021, 13:40
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 13:40
Feb 11, 2021, 13:40

You've got it backwards. Gina is comparing herself to the Jews. She's saying that the criticism she's been receiving for her pro-Trump political views is like how the Nazi's treated the Jews. Basically comparing the Democrats to Nazis, and claiming that it's the Dems in the government that have "made" American's turn agaist her for her political views. The "history is edited" is a nice holocaust denier dog whistle thown in for good measure.

Feb 11, 2021, 13:48
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 13:48
Feb 11, 2021, 13:48

Carano is making up history as she goes.
4 In 10 Republicans Say Political Violence May Be Necessary NPR
The survey found that nearly three in 10 Americans, including 39% of Republicans, agreed that, "If elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires violent actions."

A majority agreed with the statement, "The traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it."

Does anyone here know what “the traditional American way of life” is?

- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Feb 11, 2021, 14:16
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 14:16
Feb 11, 2021, 14:16

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 13:48:
Does anyone here know what “the traditional American way of life” is?

I could at least understand this for white Baby Boomers. They grew up in the 50's and 60's when Unions were strong, and one working parent could support the family. Of course, they were viewing it through rose-colored glases, and forget that the houses were much smaller, there was a single TV and one or two phones. Kids don't notice if their parents were miserable, and the poverty and racism of the time weren't shown on Saturday morning TV.

Gen-X, though? I don't get what they're missing from their childhood. Rampant drug use? New Wave and Punk Rock? Constant threat of nuclear anihilation?

Feb 11, 2021, 14:20
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 14:20
Feb 11, 2021, 14:20

Bodolza wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 13:40:
You've got it backwards. Gina is comparing herself to the Jews. She's saying that the criticism she's been receiving for her pro-Trump political views is like how the Nazi's treated the Jews. Basically comparing the Democrats to Nazis, and claiming that it's the Dems in the government that have "made" American's turn agaist her for her political views. The "history is edited" is a nice holocaust denier dog whistle thown in for good measure.

Is she pro-Trump? I didn't see anything in that article or her post that said so. And history is always written by the victors to spin things their way. That's a reality and does nothing to deny the Holocaust. You're the one inferring and putting words in her mouth here. Just because people don't vote Democrat doesn't make them goosestepping Nazis. So she was fired for not marching on lockstep with the uber-lefties and you don't see a problem with that. Typical left-wing extremist reaction.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Feb 11, 2021, 14:27
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 14:27
Feb 11, 2021, 14:27

You've got it backwards. Gina is comparing herself to the Jews.
No, I didn't. As I would have thought my first sentence would have made clear.

Feb 11, 2021, 14:30
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 14:30
Feb 11, 2021, 14:30

Bodolza wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 14:16:

I could at least understand this for white Baby Boomers. They grew up in the 50's and 60's when Unions were strong, and one working parent could support the family.

There was a great article recently about how The Simpsons is no longer possible. They were a one-income family, with a blue collar union dad, a 4 bedroom house, 2 cars, vacations, etc. They were clearly paycheck to paycheck, moreso in some episodes than others, but very squarely middle class.

Where in America can you raise 3 kids on 1 middle class income and have that home, those cars, etc.?

Feb 11, 2021, 14:32
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 14:32
Feb 11, 2021, 14:32

Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 14:20:

Is she pro-Trump? I didn't see anything in that article or her post that said so. And history is always written by the victors to spin things their way. That's a reality and does nothing to deny the Holocaust. You're the one inferring and putting words in her mouth here. Just because people don't vote Democrat doesn't make them goosestepping Nazis. So she was fired for not marching on lockstep with the uber-lefties and you don't see a problem with that. Typical left-wing extremist reaction.

I like that Cutter defends a far right woman who got fired for comparing Democrats to Nazis by getting angry at a strawman he thinks says anyone not voting Democrat is a Nazi.

She literally called Democrats Nazis, and he's angry at his perception of Democrats calling people Nazis.

You can't write this. No one would believe it.

Feb 11, 2021, 14:34
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 14:34
Feb 11, 2021, 14:34

Is she pro-Trump?
I don't know, but I did see this in another article: "Carano previously stirred up the dust on social media with comments about mask-wearing and voter fraud."

Which doesn't directly make her "pro-Trump", but it certainly indicates her separation from reality -- generally a prerequisite for being "pro-Trump".

Feb 11, 2021, 14:36
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 14:36
Feb 11, 2021, 14:36

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 14:27:
You've got it backwards. Gina is comparing herself to the Jews.
No, I didn't. As I would have thought my first sentence would have made clear.
I think Bodolza was replying to my post just above yours.

Feb 11, 2021, 14:41
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 14:41
Feb 11, 2021, 14:41

Whoops. After a bit of further reading about her post history on various platforms, it looks like I did get it backwards.

Feb 11, 2021, 15:06
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 15:06
Feb 11, 2021, 15:06

Her gap in logic was this:
Jews were born Jews. While people convert to it and away from it, that didn't matter in the 3rd Reich. Those born Jews were persecuted for just being born as if they were a race and not a religion. Your name, your appearance, it all "gave it away".

People who hold conservative or liberal beliefs weren't born that way. They may have been born into such a home, and never seriously questioned it (just as with religion), but they can change their views. You aren't automatically a Democrat if your parents were Democrats. If your mother was a Republican and your father a Democrat, you are not a Republican with no power to change it even if you agree with your father more.

Saying someone's beliefs should be immune from consequence is NOT the same as saying someone's birth circumstances should be. Yet many love to make that false equivalence. Look at how many politicians have crossed the aisle over the decades. Not a lot, but enough.

Think if some rich doctor in Germany changed his name and put up a cross on his wall that he was immune now?

Feb 11, 2021, 15:15
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 15:15
Feb 11, 2021, 15:15

Yeah, I was responding to afka Rossini. Sorry about the confusion.

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 14:30:
Where in America can you raise 3 kids on 1 middle class income and have that home, those cars, etc.?

Cause I was curious, I decided to look up some stats to see how this worked out for someone in middle class in Springfield, Oregon (where Simpsons is supposed to be based).

$78500 Average middle class income in Oregon (probably low for a safety officer in a nuclear facility)
$19200 30 year mortgage+insurance for median house price in Springfield
$21000 Cost to raise 3 children for 1 year
$9000 Car loan for average priced vehicle. Simpson's only had one new vehicle, so I'm assuming the second vehicle is paid for.
$1000 Food for adults. Children's cost was included above. This may be a bit low for Homer
$500 Phone

Assuming a 30% tax rate, that leaves $4,600 left per year for other items, like vacations, savings, entertainment, and other incidentals. Very little buffer, but doable.

Feb 11, 2021, 15:19
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 15:19
Feb 11, 2021, 15:19

The takeaway here:

It's never a good idea to post on social media using your real name.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Feb 11, 2021, 15:20
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 15:20
Feb 11, 2021, 15:20

edit: nevermind, I got it now

Feb 11, 2021, 16:19
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 16:19
Feb 11, 2021, 16:19

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 14:34:
Is she pro-Trump?
Which doesn't directly make her "pro-Trump", but it certainly indicates her separation from reality -- generally a prerequisite for being "pro-Trump".

She didn't say who she voted for but Hollywood doesn't allow for such a thing as an acting conservative. Seriously, why is that?

Honestly, the amount of hatred I've seen just on this board alone the past four years for anyone who voted for Trump; makes me truly question the future of the human race. Where's all that unity I keep hearing everyone wants? I guess it's just easier to remove the differing opinion than actually hear why half of the US doesn't think like you.

Regardless, if any of you actually put the words you've said here into any kind of action... The Nazi's just decided to make that goosestep and you're cowarding behind your keyboards; your mindsets are still the same. How do you convince a nation to commit mass murder? Make them believe the others are not or lesser-than human and don't deserve to share the same planet. Gosh, that all sounds really familiar from the party of love and unity.

Feb 11, 2021, 16:30
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 16:30
Feb 11, 2021, 16:30

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 16:19:
Honestly, the amount of hatred I've seen just on this board alone the past four years for anyone who voted for Trump; makes me truly question the future of the human race. Where's all that unity I keep hearing everyone wants? I guess it's just easier to remove the differing opinion than actually hear why half of the US doesn't think like you.

To repeat:

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2021, 22:57:
Hey, I do what I can. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I completely understand why people voted for Trump in 2016. Most people pay far less attention to politics than I do. Most people are busy living their lives, paying their bills, they don't know jack shit about politics -- they know they don't and that's fine with them. They didn't know Trump was a charlatan, who lies like a rug, who cares as much about the working man as he does mud on the bottom of his shoe. They listened to Fox, Rush, Hannity, and the rest of it and believed.

But if after four years of what Trump has said and done, you still believe he deserves your vote -- you're lost to me. You clearly have no connection with reality. Yes, I believe over 75 million US citizens have no connection with reality, in politics. Do I believe they should be gunned down? Of course not. However their ignorance is weighing this country down. And frankly, I don't have a lot of concern for them. Maybe that makes me a horrible person. So be it.
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer