66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Morning Metaverse
Feb 11, 2021, 21:42
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 21:42
Feb 11, 2021, 21:42

fakespyder wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 20:58:
Also, why does the default position have to be firing? Maybe people could engage constructively with her. God forbid she might even be misunderstood.

This wasn't the first thing they did. She actually was going to be fired earlier, but Jon Favreau went to bat for her with Disney and got her a second chance, and Pedro Pascal talked to her about his trans sister. But she kept up her stupid shit, so...

When you narrowly avoid being fired for certain behavior, usually you stop that behavior. But not if you're a dumbass meathead MMA person I guess.
Reticulating Splines

Feb 11, 2021, 21:16
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 21:16
Feb 11, 2021, 21:16

Not everyone who voted GOP means they voted for Trump. Yet again, there are plenty of reasons not to vote Democrat. Over the last few days on the NYT with their articles and op/eds about the Dems wanting to naturalize millions of illegal aliens and open the floodgates to let millions more in the most upvoted comments were overwhelmingly about people who opposed that - even on the left of the divide. That sort of stupidity will cost them Congress next year and then the Presidency in 2024. To even contemplate such a thing is pure idiocy. That alone is one of the major reasons people voted against the Ds in the last election. Not everything is about Trump.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Feb 11, 2021, 21:15
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 21:15

Not having seen any of the Mandalorian yet, I'm curious if her character's absence is going to cause any story issues?
It won't change a thing.
They could replace her and have someone else play the part and no one would care.

Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 21:15

Maybe people could engage constructively with her.

Apparently this did happen to some extent. After mocking transgender pronouns, Pedro Pascal, who has a transgender sister, talked to her about it. She took it down, but with no apology.

Feb 11, 2021, 21:03
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 21:03
Feb 11, 2021, 21:03

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 19:39:
I think what wears me out the most is the lack of what we're doing now
You're not the type of person I was talking about then. I was referring to those on this board, and others, that make outrageous claims, then just drop out and don't answer any questions.

The membership of Blue's is overall fairly reasonable compared to most sites, which is why this is literally the only place on the internet that I regularly respond to political topics. Like Mr. Tact, I also subscribe to and read some conservative blogs. I also regular listen to Left, Right, and Center which always has at least one conservative. I generally avoid broadcast political news. I find MSNBC just as unwatchable as Fox. Many years ago, I was a registered Republican, but I left the party and became independent when W. was elected, and the Republicans decided that facts and reality didn't matter anymore. In the USA these days, being a centrist means voting Democrat, though, since they're the only party that wants a functioning government.

I have several relatives that are more reasonable conservatives. When I do have long discussions when them on politics, there's a common thread. Most of their positions are actually much closer to the Democrats, but they either having a seething, personal hatred for one or more Democratic politicians (but don't care if members of the Republican party act the same or worse - haven't figured that one out yet), or they're religious and strictly anti-abortion and that one issue is enough to get them to vote agaist all their other interests.

It sounds like you voted for Trump, so I'd ask, why do trust someone who is unapolegectically corrupt, and who has lied (as of last count) over 30,000 times as President?

Feb 11, 2021, 20:58
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 20:58
Feb 11, 2021, 20:58

Not having seen any of the Mandalorian yet, I'm curious if her character's absence is going to cause any story issues?
Also, why does the default position have to be firing? Maybe people could engage constructively with her. God forbid she might even be misunderstood.

The expressions of outrage may be justified or not, I don't know. All I do know is outrage is 90% of the internet on both the left and right extremes. Stop looking for gotcha' comments to label someone something horrible.

I find some of the commentary hilarious. People say they'll unsubscribe to Disney+ , fair enough... but then they say they'll still watch but will pirate it instead.
That's what passes for holding to your convictions nowadays.
All the righteousness, zero sacrifice.

Feb 11, 2021, 20:46
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 20:46

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 20:13:
I'm not part of a "some", there were a lot of people it happened to. Fortunately for you it worked in your favor, for a lot of us, it did not. So....

Also, they reported the numbers for the amount of people who signed up but little was said about the amount of people who couldn't even afford pay the first month; it was astounding.
Are you denying there were millions who previously had no healthcare coverage but were able to get it under the ACA? Are you denying you previously were not protected from being thrown under the bus by insurance companies for pre-existing conditions, but now you are? Is there another healthcare plan being proposed by someone? I admitted the ACA needs fixing. Do you want to fix it? Or do you just want to revoke the healthcare for millions of Americans?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 20:46

People who know me know that it takes alot for me to claim someone said something racist or got "censored". So no I don't think she said anything wrong per se (arguably incorrect but that's another discussion) but when you say something inflammatory (or re-tweet something) and you are not in a protected class, Disney is going to fire you. Hell, I would have fired her. People predictably claim she can't have an opinion but in reality she's not in jail for saying or believing anything. She was fired from a progressive company as everyone expected she would be. You just can't write what she did and not be fired from a place like Disney. She's either ignorant of how the world works today or this was part of her plan to become a martyr of the right. Honestly I don't care; the reaction on both sides was depressingly predictable regardless.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 11, 2021, 20:13
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 20:13
Feb 11, 2021, 20:13

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 20:05:
I'll take you at your word on that. I know those kinds of situations did happen to some people.

I'm not part of a "some", there were a lot of people it happened to. Fortunately for you it worked in your favor, for a lot of us, it did not. So....

Also, they reported the numbers for the amount of people who signed up but little was said about the amount of people who couldn't even afford pay the first month; it was astounding.

Don't have the time to go down this road, introducing my 12-year-old to Stranger Things for the first time, S1E3 right now. So if you excuse me....

Feb 11, 2021, 20:05
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 20:05
Feb 11, 2021, 20:05

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 19:39:
...In regards to health care, do I believe it's a right to be given free healthcare for everyone? No, I don't. Does someone have the right to have access to health care, yes. No discrimination, yet the "affordable" part starts getting iffy as to what's considered "affordable" to whom. Prior to the AHCA, we paid $750 / month for a family of four where we only went to the doctor once, maybe twice a year; we've done our best to maintain a healthy lifestyle (eating, exercise, etc). Afterwards, it shot up to $1400 / month for the same coverage. Yeah, we "liked our plan" and "we could keep our plan" but forget about buying food anymore. It was basically a tax hike that we had no control over and got penalized when we couldn't afford it. We basically had to reduce our plan to the absolute lowest coverage we could possibly get which was basically no coverage at all but still had to pay $850 / month.
I'll take you at your word on that. I know those kinds of situations did happen to some people.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks the ACA is perfect. It needs fixing. Unfortunately one of the two parties has no interest in fixing it, only removing it. In a two party system that means it is extremely difficult to fix it. From everything I've seen, most Americans (even most Republicans) don't want to see it go away they just want it to work better.

And while you and others have had less than perfect outcomes, millions of others who previously had no coverage, got coverage they could afford. Under your prior setup you had no protection from pre-existing conditions, now you do. The only way to get anything close to perfect healthcare is to be rich. It has always been that way and it will be for a long to yet to come. I know I'm personally very happy to have access to the coverage it provides me, which I would not have been able to afford without it (at least not without having a full-time job).

Feb 11, 2021, 19:40
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 19:40
Feb 11, 2021, 19:40

Don't forget they are literally willing to fight to say that "Monkey" is a legitimate color.

I don't know if it is growing, but there are way too many of people who believe things which are demonstrably untrue.

Yeah. Don't forget Zeus, he was a smart guy. I really liked all the things Zeus said he was for.

Don't blame you BoP for thinking the US is beyond salvaging. But we have to hope it is, as futile as that hope may seem...

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2021, 20:05.

Feb 11, 2021, 19:39
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 19:39
Feb 11, 2021, 19:39

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 18:38:
My last example is healthcare. If someone says to me "It sucks little Bobby's parents can't afford insulin. He can just die." Then I know I will never reach the fundamental start of a resolution when it comes to the health, healthcare, and wellbeing of my fellow man with that individual. It's the anathema of common decency.

Have you actually ever heard someone say that or are you projecting? In regards to health care, do I believe it's a right to be given free healthcare for everyone? No, I don't. Does someone have the right to have access to health care, yes. No discrimination, yet the "affordable" part starts getting iffy as to what's considered "affordable" to whom. Prior to the AHCA, we paid $750 / month for a family of four where we only went to the doctor once, maybe twice a year; we've done our best to maintain a healthy lifestyle (eating, exercise, etc). Afterwards, it shot up to $1400 / month for the same coverage. Yeah, we "liked our plan" and "we could keep our plan" but forget about buying food anymore. It was basically a tax hike that we had no control over and got penalized when we couldn't afford it. We basically had to reduce our plan to the absolute lowest coverage we could possibly get which was basically no coverage at all but still had to pay $850 / month.

1) Do you believe, as Gina does, that Trump lost the election because of voter fraud? If so, what actual evidence do you have that supports that?
2) What sources do you use that are reliable - meaning that they at a minium fact check their information and they offer corrections when they're wrong. Do you stop believing those sources when you find out that their facts are sometimes wrong and they don't correct themselves when they discover so? Or would you choose to continue to follow those news sources even knowing that they willingly provide factualy incorrect information?

1) no I don't believe there was voter fraud, but would it surprise me that there was, sure. Just like what was accused in 2016 just the opposite way. But I'm not whining about it. I have not denounced Biden as president and I won't be a "Never-Biden" because he was elected, time to move on; I've got a business to run. Hasn't this already been settled? Why is this still a thing? Honestly kind of surprised it's still being brought up.

2) To be completely honest, I don't pay attention to national media as the bias is excruciatingly painful to watch. My wife will watch a little more national coverage so I am exposed to it. I will randomly look at CNN, NYT, Fox, WaPo, MSNBC, NPR, BBC if a major story breaks to get the wide range of exposure which is why I see the bias because everyone has so many different takes on the same event because pandering. What I mostly watch is local news since it directly affects me more.

I think what wears me out the most is the lack of what we're doing now. I opened myself up for questions, made myself vulnerable to everyone so I'll be curious the amount of retribution I'll incur. (OMG, YoU aCtUaLLy wAtCH FoX tO bE beTtER iNforMeD oN aLL aNgLeS?!?) Hopefully more will be willing to do the same. With that said, you only know me about the two questions I've answered but can you really know me and the opinions I make based on a few posts on Blues? You either need to walk a mile in my shoes OR have some semblance of respect that my opinions are built upon 40+ years of experience living on this earth and I may know a thing or two. Just as I respect that your opinions are based on your life and I have no right to look down upon them. I just hope we can all do the same...

Here, I'll throw a few more tidbits about me: I'm not white, I'm hispanic; married, father of two. I graduated Summa Cum Laude after dropping out of school after 1.5 years of a failed college experience (1.2 gpa) and went back to finish my degree after working odd-and-end dead-end jobs. I now have built and own a successful business for 15 years now.

Re: Bye bye Cara Dune
Feb 11, 2021, 18:59
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:59
Feb 11, 2021, 18:59

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 18:30:
That's a strange things to state and leave it at that. Do you actually have questions?

It was a general comment, so I didn't provide examples. Do I have questions? Sure. I have no idea where you stand, so let's start with something on-topic for this thread.

1) Do you believe, as Gina does, that Trump lost the election because of voter fraud? If so, what actual evidence do you have that supports that?
2) What sources do you use that are reliable - meaning that they at a minium fact check their information and they offer corrections when they're wrong. Do you stop believing those sources when you find out that their facts are sometimes wrong and they don't correct themselves when they discover so? Or would you choose to continue to follow those news sources even knowing that they willingly provide factualy incorrect information?

Feb 11, 2021, 18:38
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 18:38
Feb 11, 2021, 18:38

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 17:57:
...it will require a meeting in the middle meaning both sides need to be willing to have enough courage to understand one another.

I do not believe it has anything to do with "courage" at all. Courage involves unilaterally accepting risk without a guaranteed ROI. What is required is an interest. However, what is being forgotten here, and has yet to be mentioned, is that the interests of American citizens aren't aligned. They're not even slightly misaligned. They're wildly out of contact with each other and from themselves. For a simple example, it's no longer disagreeing over whether the sky is cerulean or periwinkle. It's someone saying the sky is "blue" and another person exclaiming that it is "monkey". "Monkey" isn't even a color but they'll want to argue about it endlessly, regardless of factual knowledge to the contrary.

Today I was out picking up our curbside grocery order. I saw no less than three QAnon bumper stickers on vehicles on the road. They weren't old, they were fresh. These are people publicly proclaiming, via signage, that they believe in a long disproved hoax "for teh lulz" that turned in to a whackjob web of conspiracy theories. I live in a small town so it's not like you're going to see a ton of cars on the road at one time which tells me that this conspiracy bullshit is growing.

I, personally, have neither the interest in communicating nor brokering an agreement with someone so out of touch with reality. We, as citizens, can disagree with how we enact resolutions to problems but we can't fundamentally disagree on reality and still resolve an issue.

I am neither an "R" nor am I a "D". I'm a Constitutionalist (and have been for more than four decades) so I don't subscribe to tribalism based on party. I am also quite liberal (note the small "l"). Sadly, I also live in Texas. We have politicians who have literally used arguments, in public, for policy and law that started with "The Bible says...". I'm sorry, I live in 2021. We have science, reason, logic, and data now. We don't need to depend on badly translated, intentionally warped, politically altered, bronze age mythology to figure out how to govern ourselves, frame laws, or make policy.

Again, we see a disconnect from a common reality. I don't know anyone who has scientific, verifiable data from a credible source on the existence of angels, demons, or talking burning bushes.

My last example is healthcare. If someone says to me "It sucks little Bobby's parents can't afford insulin. He can just die." Then I know I will never reach the fundamental start of a resolution when it comes to the health, healthcare, and wellbeing of my fellow man with that individual. It's the anathema of common decency.

This country is beyond the point of salvaging. There have been 40 years of political propaganda that has efficiently and effectively worked to separate the American citizen from one another. This country doesn't have another 40 years of time to walk back and deprogram that propaganda so it will just become louder to continually bludgeon people through fear, insecurity, and doubt. There is no common interest, there is no "our America". It's now "my America" where it's every person for themselves and fuck everyone else.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Feb 11, 2021, 18:36
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:36
Feb 11, 2021, 18:36

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 16:19:
Where's all that unity I keep hearing everyone wants?

Kind of hard to have unity when one side's definition of unity is "If you don't unite to give me everything I want, we're going to have civil war".

Unity doesn't mean giving the losing side everything they're throwing a tantrum about. And you can't have unity when one side refuses to budge from the lies and bad faith arguments they're making just to stay in power.

Feb 11, 2021, 18:31
PHJF

Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:31
Feb 11, 2021, 18:31
 PHJF

Hate, racism and ignorance became the face of the Republican party the minute Trump was elected to office and almost no existing republicans called him out. They almost unanimously toed the party line for four years. This is obvious because a) they almost all voted to overturn the election for no reason other than because Trump said to and b) the senate is almost assuredly not going to convict Trump for inciting insurrection. Which he PAINFULLY, obviously, did do.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Feb 11, 2021, 18:30
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:30
Feb 11, 2021, 18:30

Bodolza wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 18:19:
Something else I've been seeing a lot of lately from conservatives online is claiming victimhood for their beliefs, but as soon as those beliefs are questioned by someone, they disappear from the conversation. It's hard to have an actual discussion about what you believe if only one side is willing to participate.

That's a strange things to state and leave it at that. Do you actually have questions? Or are you using this as a way to "call people out"? Honestly, I don't hear many sincere questions around here, mostly a lot of out-of-context deflection and the overabundant use of "strawman"; almost like it's Life's Word of the Year.

Feb 11, 2021, 18:19
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:19
Feb 11, 2021, 18:19

Something else I've been seeing a lot of lately from conservatives online is claiming victimhood for their beliefs, but as soon as those beliefs are questioned by someone, they disappear from the conversation. It's hard to have an actual discussion about what you believe if only one side is willing to participate.

Feb 11, 2021, 18:18
Quboid

Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:18
Feb 11, 2021, 18:18
 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 18:10:
I swear, more conservatives call hate, ignorance, and racism "conservative values" than liberals do. We see it here. "We don't know who she voted for, but Hollywood doesn't allow conservatives."

No, we don't know who she voted for. But we do know she doesn't believe in masks (which is ignorance), that she mocked transexuals (which is hate), and that she downplayed the Holocaust (which is racism.)

We don't know her views on taxation, or which powers the Federal government should have and which belong to states, or on trade agreements. But knowing she feared science, feared people unlike her, and enjoyed making herself a victim was all it took for one of the conservatives here to defend her as a conservative. That's what the GOP now stands for, even in the eyes of its own members.

I was thinking that too. What actor has ever been even criticised for being in favour of tax cuts and a smaller government? It's weird how quick "conservatives" are happy to say conservatives are being censored when a white-nationalist gets kicked off Twitter for racism or calling for violence.

Feb 11, 2021, 18:10
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:10
Feb 11, 2021, 18:10

I swear, more conservatives call hate, ignorance, and racism "conservative values" than liberals do. We see it here. "We don't know who she voted for, but Hollywood doesn't allow conservatives."

No, we don't know who she voted for. But we do know she doesn't believe in masks (which is ignorance), that she mocked transexuals (which is hate), and that she downplayed the Holocaust (which is racism.)

We don't know her views on taxation, or which powers the Federal government should have and which belong to states, or on trade agreements. But knowing she feared science, feared people unlike her, and enjoyed making herself a victim was all it took for one of the conservatives here to defend her as a conservative. That's what the GOP now stands for, even in the eyes of its own members.
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older