EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment

In a conference call following yesterday's earnings report, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson discussed the future of EA Star Wars games. Following news last month that Ubisoft was working on Star Wars game, LucasFilm indicated their relationship with EA would continue, even if it was no longer exclusive. As reported on Eurogamer, Wilson reveals that EA has sold over 52 million copies of Star Wars games, raking in $3 billion in net bookings. So it's no surprise they want to continue in the ways of the Force:
"As we've established the very strong part of that franchise, you should expect that we will continue to invest in those as well as some new experiences across platforms for the future," Wilson said. "...I don't think you should imagine that the fact that some other people will build some Star Wars games is going to change our commitment to that IP or our ability to build the appropriate number of games."

"You should expect us to continue to invest in our Star Wars relationship. It's been very profitable... and we're excited by what we'll be able to do in the future. But you shouldn't read this as necessarily us building the less titles."
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment
Feb 4, 2021, 08:10
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 4, 2021, 08:10
Feb 4, 2021, 08:10

EA = we're done supporting SWBF2 ! you guys cried about our P2W strategy initially and we got FIFA to milk , bye .

EA (after losing exclusivity ) = Of course we love SWBF2 & will continue our strong commitment to the entire Star Wars franchise !

Feb 4, 2021, 04:01
Ant

Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 4, 2021, 04:01
Feb 4, 2021, 04:01
 Ant

fakespyder wrote on Feb 3, 2021, 22:21:
I'd love to see Kyle Katarn again. It was a cool moment in Jedi Outcast when you fought as him beside Luke Skywalker.
After we finished off the troopers I couldn't help myself and tried to kill Luke, only to have my ass handed to me in a few seconds. Stunned
I was hoping Kyle would show up in The Mandalorian.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Feb 4, 2021, 03:43
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 4, 2021, 03:43
Feb 4, 2021, 03:43

Oh by the nine divines...

I'd be just happy with another Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy. The lightsaber combat in these games was the best to date, thanks to the versatile Quake 3 engine. Everything else after that was not very good. The force unleashed kinda sucked and while I had fun with the fallen order the combat was okay. But then again I never like Dark Souls games like combat since it's just a lot of dodging.

Feb 4, 2021, 03:36
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 4, 2021, 03:36
Feb 4, 2021, 03:36

Ah well, regardless fuck EA

Feb 4, 2021, 01:11
Kxmode

Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 4, 2021, 01:11
Feb 4, 2021, 01:11
 Kxmode

Actions speak louder than words and EA's actions tell you what they genuinely think of Star Wars.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 4, 2021, 00:08
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 4, 2021, 00:08
Feb 4, 2021, 00:08

fakespyder wrote on Feb 3, 2021, 22:21:
I'd love to see Kyle Katarn again. It was a cool moment in Jedi Outcast when you fought as him beside Luke Skywalker.
After we finished off the troopers I couldn't help myself and tried to kill Luke, only to have my ass handed to me in a few seconds. Stunned

Me too, but it seems like they're slowly taking away his accomplishments and giving them to other characters, like in Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

Feb 3, 2021, 23:26
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 23:26
Feb 3, 2021, 23:26

We're just arguing our opinions, but I liked Division 2 a lot more than Division 1. Only issue I have is with their 'wasted' resources on the Raids, but those actually seem to be popular with players, so what can you do. SW Battlefront 2 on the other hand, I found gorgeous but quickly boring. I'd rather play BFV than SWBF, and I'm utterly sick of BFV now. Division 2 on the other hand, is still fun with their current design and patches, at least for me.

Fallen Order I hear is a pretty interesting Dark Souls ripoff, but it's single player, so not really relevant, but yeah maybe EA will do another nice SW single player game.

Prior to the Massive SW tease announcement, it was widely assumed all the Division 2 A team people had already moved onto Division 3, but maybe they pushed that back to do the Star Wars game; I guess we'll find out in a few months.

Feb 3, 2021, 22:21
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 22:21
Feb 3, 2021, 22:21

Feb 3, 2021, 22:10
Slick

Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 22:10
Feb 3, 2021, 22:10
 Slick

I doubt there will ever be a Division 3, at least not this decade. They pulled a "Ghost Recon Breakpoint" with The Div 2, making an inferior product than what it was supposed to be replacing. I liked all the artwork in Div2, but they absolutely killed the multiplayer and the endgame.

Still, all of that in a SW game would be amazing. I mean, we haven't really seen anything to show that they're masters of narrative execution, as none of the writing in the Division games was at all memorable. Still shit, I'd play it.

And SWBF2 is a fucking incredible game, so any dismissals of "EA will make a shit SW game" is nonsense. Battlefront 2 is the greatest online shooter on the planet. Also people seemed to like Fallen Order.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 3, 2021, 21:26
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 21:26
Feb 3, 2021, 21:26

Ubisoft Massive, the studio behind The Division, will be leading development on the new Star Wars adventure with Julian Gerighty, who oversaw The Division 2 and The Crew, as creative director. Wired also reports that the game will make use of Ubisoft Massive’s Snowdrop engine (the same one used for The Division 2), but said Lucasfilm Games hasn’t yet revealed when and where in the Star Wars universe the game will take place. (Update - 10:53 p.m. ET, 1/13/21: in a Q&A over on Ubisoft’s website, Gerighty says the new game will be a “departure from the world of The Division,” and “totally different” from what the studio has made in the past.)

Well, that seems foolish. Division 2 is great in so many ways, a Star Wars version could have at least been a lot of grindy fun.

EA will make some shit Star Wars game, and apparently Massive is going to try to break out of their mold, 50/50 chance for being something interesting, I guess.

I wonder if Massive is going to try their Star Wars game before they do Division 3?

Feb 3, 2021, 21:21
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 21:21
Feb 3, 2021, 21:21

If only EA could team up with Ubisoft for a Star Wars Game!

Think of the endless grind! Boring cut and paste level design to help fill a world, nay, a universe! filled with samey events and not anywhere near enough activities to justify the overall size. Add in EA's notorious lack of support to create a 'puzzle' aspect to the game as you try to work your way around various bugs. Hell, call them aliens.

Ubi would be sure to include several ways to pay as you play, too. Why buy new games? Spend that money instead on titanium Jedi armor, available soon after release. Or be way cooler than your friends with a dazzling pink lightsaber held out from the initial release so you could pay more for it later!

Endless possibilities....

Feb 3, 2021, 20:55
Slick

Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 20:55
Feb 3, 2021, 20:55
 Slick

Massive will kill it with the SW license, I can't wait to see what they do, and I really hope that EA makes SWBF3, even though the "3" number of that franchise is seemingly cursed.

I kinda hope that whatever suit came up with the awful pay2win system in SWBF2 which probably cost EA the exclusive license is current being fired... by a cannon into the sun ^_^ If it keeps DICE from making the ultimate FPS fan wetdream of SWBF3 a reality I'll be pissed.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 3, 2021, 20:53
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 20:53
Feb 3, 2021, 20:53

It's no longer exclusive... which means (while I enjoyed the last 2 games) other companies have a chance to shine.

Feb 3, 2021, 20:51
Re: EA Reconfirms Star Wars Commitment Feb 3, 2021, 20:51
Feb 3, 2021, 20:51

Oh Please No.... No more threats from EA that they are going to make more crap star wars games pleeeeease!
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older