More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways

EA Star Wars tweets about the overwhelming success of the recent giveaway of STAR WARS Battlefront II on the Epic Games Store. They say the freebie was downloaded over 19 million times:
More than 19M PLAYERS got #StarWarsBattlefrontII from the Epic Game Store promo!🤯Thank you so much for the continued support, even after our final content drop! We’ll watch your careers with great interest! May the Force be with you, troopers!
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways
Jan 26, 2021, 18:43
Jivaro

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 18:43
Jan 26, 2021, 18:43
 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 13:34:
Slick wrote on Jan 25, 2021, 23:26:
So I've been streaming this game for the past 3 years, almost 4000 hours played, and THIS is the best clip I've ever made, just did it about 10 days ago.
I don't understand what is happening in the clip -- did you use some sort of mental "grab" to pull three of them into the pit?

I am pretty sure that is exactly what you saw.

Jan 26, 2021, 13:34
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 13:34
Jan 26, 2021, 13:34

So I've been streaming this game for the past 3 years, almost 4000 hours played, and THIS is the best clip I've ever made, just did it about 10 days ago.
I don't understand what is happening in the clip -- did you use some sort of mental "grab" to pull three of them into the pit?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 26, 2021, 13:23
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 13:23
Jan 26, 2021, 13:23

Bumpy wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 13:16:
drloser wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 01:19:
Your video is 100% TPS.

TPS?
third person shooter?
Or temporary protected status
Maybe the band trailer park sex
Toronto police service

Ummm...yeah....i'm going to need you to go ahead and put cover sheets on all your TPS reports.

Torsonic Polarity Syndrome
Causes people to have butts where their heads should be.

And last but not least
When you are to drunk at a party and you throw up, piss and shit yourself all at once.
Dude, I totally tps’ed myself last night.

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jan 26, 2021, 13:16
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 13:16
Jan 26, 2021, 13:16

drloser wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 01:19:
Your video is 100% TPS.

TPS?

Jan 26, 2021, 11:14
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 11:14
Jan 26, 2021, 11:14

To hell with EGS. Skull

Jan 26, 2021, 06:44
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 06:44
Jan 26, 2021, 06:44

Added to my library, but...

90 Gb using slow as crap http, maybe later after the US actually does have nationwide high speed broadband like the rest of the civilized world.

Also in no hurry to spend 100 hours getting wiped by 12 year brats with 500 hours in the game.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jan 26, 2021, 06:02
Slick

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 06:02
 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 25, 2021, 20:23:
Decent for a 2 yo game.

Technically in its 4th year. Released 2017.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Slick

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 06:02
 Slick

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 03:26:
I too got myself a copy and began to play it. Its Dumb fun. If you try not to think to hard as mentioned below, just go in an run and gun. It can be alot of fun.

There can be cheater's sure. But I usually attribute it to people using the scanning device. Which allows people to see enemy teams outlines through walls.

My main gripe with the game is the Heroes. I really wish there was a mode that removed them. Nothing more annoying then being in a fire fight. Then some dumbass playing Yoda comes storming through and mopping the floor with 6 or 8 guys.

Being a trooper is dumb fun, but playing as that Yoda you mention is very intense. Everyone acts like it's just a walk in the park to play as a hero, when the enemy team can track your every movement on the minimap all the time. You can only deflect blaster fire in like a 30 degree arc in front of you where you're aiming, all it takes is 2 or 3 troopers with working brains to take you down, or worse a momentary lapse in judgement will get your merc'd.

For instance, with my SE-44c Officer pistol, I can hide behind a tree, wait for a hero to go by, and plug him with 7-8 headshots in half a second and I just did 300-400 damage.

I highly recommend trying to play as heroes as much as possible, it doesn't just improve your own mastery of all their different styles and abilities, but it gives you knowledge as a trooper on what they're able to do, and what they're likely to do, and how to outsmart them.

Give it time, there's a lot to learn in this game, once the players "get it" and figure out what they're supposed to be doing, teamplay gets a lot better, and screaming at your team for being braindead becomes less frequent.

Also, there aren't really that many cheaters. Just because one guy (me) has 100 eliminations and no one else has more than 20 doesn't mean they're cheating, they've probably just been playing from launch, and are adept and knowledgable of all aspects of the game and all maps.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jan 26, 2021, 04:19
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 04:19
Jan 26, 2021, 04:19

I grabbed it during the free week but it doesn't even run for me. It displays the splash screen, then just closes and does nothing.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jan 26, 2021, 03:26
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 03:26
Jan 26, 2021, 03:26

I too got myself a copy and began to play it. Its Dumb fun. If you try not to think to hard as mentioned below, just go in an run and gun. It can be alot of fun.

There can be cheater's sure. But I usually attribute it to people using the scanning device. Which allows people to see enemy teams outlines through walls.

My main gripe with the game is the Heroes. I really wish there was a mode that removed them. Nothing more annoying then being in a fire fight. Then some dumbass playing Yoda comes storming through and mopping the floor with 6 or 8 guys.

Jan 26, 2021, 02:43
Kxmode

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 02:43
Jan 26, 2021, 02:43
 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 02:31:
Well EA has only themselves to blame for the massive failure of Battlefront 2. It's obvious that DICE poured a lot of love into this game, much more so than the other recent Battlefield games, but that for some reason the combination of microtransactions and the terrible marketing that EA did for BF2 helped fuel it's demise. I quite like the game, but I have no sympathy for the developers or publishers who initially chose to be greedy.

BF2 also likely prompted Disney to start thinking about terminating their ten-year exclusivity deal with EA after the studio dragged the IP through the mud, seemingly lacking any desire to handle Disney's valuable property carefully. Not that Disney doesn't share some of that blame with their horrible new-gen trilogy. But after seven long years, they appear to get it with The Mandalorian finally. Resurrecting LucasArts to become the new face of Star Wars games and giving out projects to other studios is an excellent gesture, even if some of the studios chosen aren't the most exciting. BF2's appearance on EGS as a freebie feels like a death knell for a studio that doesn't genuinely care for licensed IPs and Star Wars in particular. I imagine the thought process in the boardroom went something like, "Let's just park it on EGS and hope for the best, and if it fails, oh well. We'll move onto to something else like BioWare's line-up."
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 26, 2021, 02:31
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 02:31
Jan 26, 2021, 02:31

Well EA has only themselves to blame for the massive failure of Battlefront 2. It's obvious that DICE poured a lot of love into this game, much more so than the other recent Battlefield games, but that for some reason the combination of microtransactions and the terrible marketing that EA did for BF2 helped fuel it's demise. I quite like the game, but I have no sympathy for the developers or publishers who initially chose to be greedy.

Jan 26, 2021, 02:15
Kxmode

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 02:15
Jan 26, 2021, 02:15
 Kxmode

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 01:01:
To any new players out there, the #1 tip I say to them is PLAY CO-OP. This new mode that no one asked for but which is secretly brilliant is a great way to onboard new players, while EVERY KILL YOU GET COUNTS TOWARDS UNLOCKING NEW GUNS IN MP.

None of the straight singleplayer modes let you do this, just co-op. Also Don't worry about star cards, as there is zero starcards which either give you more health, or make you deal more damage with your gun. Therefore the ONLY thing that will make you win a 1v1 firefight is if you have a better gun and can you know, FPS better. And the ONLY way to unlock the better guns is to get KILLS.

Believe it or not, this system is %100 unchanged since pre-launch. Even though you used to be able to buy random packs of star cards, you've NEVER been able to buy a better gun, which is the only thing that actually changes the calculus as to weather you'll win or lose a firefight. The gam esince its inception has always been about rewarding players that actually play the game normally. Starcards have always been a massive distraction, a bunch of side-grades which while some are useful, don't fundamentally change the power balance.

A STRANGE GAME. THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY. HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF SOMETHING ELSE?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 26, 2021, 02:11
Kxmode

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 02:11
Jan 26, 2021, 02:11
 Kxmode

Olive Garden: "More than 19M people got a voucher for a free Italian dinner."

How many of those 19M actually got the dinner and then ate it?

Jan 26, 2021, 01:47
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 01:47
Jan 26, 2021, 01:47

Visual/audio polish is really impressive. But I have no idea what my team or the enemy is doing, or what I should be doing, and it's still fun. The unlock progression is reasonable and I appreciate the co-op missions to wrap my head around all environments, gameplay, and variables.

Finally connecting to server, only to find blatant cheaters, is annoying. The forward rolling targets and inability to climb most objects is also annoying. But I can't think of much else to dislike at this point.

Jan 26, 2021, 01:26
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 01:26
Jan 26, 2021, 01:26

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 00:56:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 00:52:
19 million CLAIMED it, maybe, no fucking way even a majority of them actually downloaded it. Because in that case, the story would be "EA Star Wars tweets how sorry they are about Origin still being down in flames a week after being called on to serve more than an exabyte of bloated game files to people who for some reason were extraordinarily eager to play this thing after completely ignoring it for years." My wager would be 8 out of 10 of those licenses were thrown on a backlog pile indefinitely and 5 out of 10 will never, ever be used.

You must have missed the news then, the origin servers have been going down almost daily due to the surge. From all of EA servers going down, to the game servers giving a "sorry, too full, try later" when logging in, to just having servers crash halfway through a match.

The leaderboard in a 40-man lobby would be me at max level 1000, and everyone else level 1, 2, 3, maybe 4. It was fucking wild. I haven't not been #1 by a huge 2x or 3x margin on the scoreboard since the event started.

Dial back the fanboyism a bit, man, I did say I'm willing to believe a few million people gave it a go already. Just going from thousands of players to hundreds of thousands would be enough to cause interruptions for most online games, but if you're still able to play then it's not really "down in flames," is it? My point is the same with anyone else bragging about how many free keys they handed out like this. Most people grab them just to have it, not necessarily to play it now (if at all), and it's disingenuous to imply otherwise. Hell, some who already owned it added it to their Epic library just because, how many of those people are there? I'm one of them, lol... Just scroll down that twitter feed and you see all the people they're misleading to believe the game actually has 19M new players. It's not anywhere close to being true.

Jan 26, 2021, 01:19
Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 01:19
Jan 26, 2021, 01:19

THIS is the best clip I've ever made,
(...)
I've been playing FPS games for 29 years, and DICE games for 20 years, and this is BY FAR the most fun FPS game ever made.
Your video is 100% TPS.

Jan 26, 2021, 01:01
Slick

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 01:01
Jan 26, 2021, 01:01
 Slick

To any new players out there, the #1 tip I say to them is PLAY CO-OP. This new mode that no one asked for but which is secretly brilliant is a great way to onboard new players, while EVERY KILL YOU GET COUNTS TOWARDS UNLOCKING NEW GUNS IN MP.

None of the straight singleplayer modes let you do this, just co-op. Also Don't worry about star cards, as there is zero starcards which either give you more health, or make you deal more damage with your gun. Therefore the ONLY thing that will make you win a 1v1 firefight is if you have a better gun and can you know, FPS better. And the ONLY way to unlock the better guns is to get KILLS.

Believe it or not, this system is %100 unchanged since pre-launch. Even though you used to be able to buy random packs of star cards, you've NEVER been able to buy a better gun, which is the only thing that actually changes the calculus as to weather you'll win or lose a firefight. The gam esince its inception has always been about rewarding players that actually play the game normally. Starcards have always been a massive distraction, a bunch of side-grades which while some are useful, don't fundamentally change the power balance.

Jan 26, 2021, 00:56
Slick

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 00:56
Jan 26, 2021, 00:56
 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 00:52:
19 million CLAIMED it, maybe, no fucking way even a majority of them actually downloaded it. Because in that case, the story would be "EA Star Wars tweets how sorry they are about Origin still being down in flames a week after being called on to serve more than an exabyte of bloated game files to people who for some reason were extraordinarily eager to play this thing after completely ignoring it for years." My wager would be 8 out of 10 of those licenses were thrown on a backlog pile indefinitely and 5 out of 10 will never, ever be used.

You must have missed the news then, the origin servers have been going down almost daily due to the surge. From all of EA servers going down, to the game servers giving a "sorry, too full, try later" when logging in, to just having servers crash halfway through a match.

The leaderboard in a 40-man lobby would be me at max level 1000, and everyone else level 1, 2, 3, maybe 4. It was fucking wild. I haven't not been #1 by a huge 2x or 3x margin on the scoreboard since the event started.

Jan 26, 2021, 00:52
Slick

Re: More Than 19M Battlefront II Giveaways Jan 26, 2021, 00:52
Jan 26, 2021, 00:52
 Slick

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 26, 2021, 00:27:
It was boycotted because of the pay2win micro transactions, which apparently worked. But by the time they removed all that crap, most people moved on to other games. But I definitely welcome the freebie. Gonna try it out soon

The real story is far more heartbreaking, as is evidenced when you say: "by the time they removed all that crap, most people moved on".

How many people reading this would be surprised to hear that they actually removed all paid MTX in the game one day before launch?

I've been having to deal with noobs coming to this game for 3+ years all crying about Pay2Win, it's gone from funny, to sad, to depressing, to funny again, to annoying, to just a pathetic criticism of the human race... They literally got rid of paid MTX the day before launch. This was also the first DICE game to give away all new maps, guns, characters, enforcers, vehicles, and game modes for FREE. This was the FIRST GAME TO DO THAT!!!!!

Up until now every DICE game has been $60 game +50$ DLC = $110 to get the "full experience". SWBF2 gave everything to everyone for free. Also brought in 2 more studios to do a singleplayer and space combat mode. Oh and then all the offline content, from 40-bot large scale battles, to customizable "arcade" modes, to the fantastic co-op that no one asked for but is incredible, to them getting so good at AI that AI units exist in multiplayer maps, and it's hard to tell that they're not human.

There's just so much game, it's ridiculous. It's like figuring out a new Battlefield game (4 classes), with vehicles, speeders, tanks, and starfighters, with a fully-fleshed MOBA (22 playable heroes and villains) which are SOMEHOW balanced in a match with troopers. And then an arcadey space combat simulator like Afterburner or something with the dedicated space combat. Oh then there's playable enforcers, flame troopers, aerials, wookies, death troopers, droidekas, ARC troopers, commando clones, ninja droids, and fucking ewoks.
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older