Out of the Blue

The NFL seems to have fully embraced prime time games when possible, so I cannot fathom why they aren't having one of this weekend's two playoff games tonight. Roger Goodell, give me a call. Let me straighten you out on this.

Obituary: Larry King, broadcasting giant for half-century, dies at 87.
Obituary: Gregory Sierra, 'Sanford and Son' and 'Barney Miller' actor, dies at 83.
Obituary: Rémy Julienne: Stunt king to the stars who fell to Covid. Thanks brother19.

Prime Time Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Supper Link

Stories

Science

• WOOD. Knee deep in the splinters.

Media

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 24, 2021, 16:33
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 16:33
Jan 24, 2021, 16:33

Jan 24, 2021, 16:19
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 16:19
Jan 24, 2021, 16:19

Random question: Is Fox, NewsMax, OANN and the rest claiming there are no deaths from Covid-19? Or are they claiming the deaths are normal somehow?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 24, 2021, 15:40
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 15:40
Jan 24, 2021, 15:40

A buddy of mine winters in Florida. He posted a bike on Craigslist and added a blurb about mask wearing:
“I will wear a mask while showing the bike, and you will need to wear one as well. For test ride no mask required.”
Here is a response he received from florida man.
Fuck you and your mask mandate.
There IS NO VIRUS
YOU STUPID ASSHOLE.
HOW DARE YOU TELL OTHERS TO PUT A MASK ON.
ARE YOU A DOCTOR?
ITS A MEDICAL INTERVENTION.
You cant get sick by someone breathing or coughing or sneezing on you. Its impossible.
It's never ever happened. Its a lie.
Theres no pandemic
Its a hoax
And youre stupid
Are we clear?
My bud asked “Do you think he is a serious buyer?“ Wink

Jan 24, 2021, 13:44
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 13:44
Jan 24, 2021, 13:44

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2021, 10:22:
Hrm, I don't believe Groundhogs are an endangered species... I'd probably lean towards ventilating those rodents if I caught them eating my vegetables. I also wonder if he isn't harming their population long term by feeding multiple generations like that. You aren't supposed to feed wild animals, full stop.
I doubt I would have gone to the effort to plant a specific garden for the rodents.
You wouldn't want them living underneath your house or near a foundation because of the damage burrows can cause.
I didn't know they were useful in the medical testing field;
Groundhogs are used in medical research on hepatitis B-induced liver cancer.
Woodchucks are also used in biomedical research investigating metabolic function, obesity, energy balance, the endocrine system, reproduction, neurology, cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, and neoplastic disease. Researching the hibernation patterns of groundhogs may lead to benefits for humans, including lowering of the heart rate in complicated surgical procedures.

Jan 24, 2021, 12:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 12:26
Jan 24, 2021, 12:26

Hrm, I don't believe Groundhogs are an endangered species... I'd probably lean towards ventilating those rodents if I caught them eating my vegetables. I also wonder if he isn't harming their population long term by feeding multiple generations like that. You aren't supposed to feed wild animals, full stop.

Yes, you are. We keep encroaching on an animal habitat and giving nothing back. That's really wrong. Don't be so fucking selfish and help out the wildlife where you live. You already live in the lap of luxury is it really going to hurt you by feeding some animals? When they say don't feed wild animals they mean large, dangerous carnivores and omnivores. Don't feed bears, wolves, gators, things of that nature. Feeding birds, pollinators, rodents, et al. is not only fine it's good.

Get some fruit and nut tree saplings in the spring and go plant them around the neighborhood, parks, trails, etc. In other words, give something back.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jan 24, 2021, 10:41
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 10:41
Jan 24, 2021, 10:41

Fair enough, but that really is a great video.
Kittens!

Jan 24, 2021, 10:36
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 10:36
Jan 24, 2021, 10:36

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 17:14:
I like both games on the same day. Means you don't have to drink two days in a row.

Aww, what a great dog. I always find it interesting what people name their pet in other languages. Boncuk apparently means pearl, or jewel or something in Turkish. She certainly is a gem of a dog.

The South African strain is not the only one raising concern. There is a new strain in Brazil that the scientists argue "also has changes at key positions" in ways that could impair antibodies' effectiveness against the disease. Then there is a strain in the United Kingdom known as B117 that, though not deadlier than previous strains, is more transmissible.

Oh fuck and you, you goddamned virus. Die already! Like Jimmie said in Pulp Fiction, "You're fucking my shit up right now!"

Okay, that groundhog vid was just awesome. What a dude. That's how you do it. You don't need to go to war with nature, just accommodate it. The farmer I met last October did that on his 100 acre farm. He was big on biodiversity so scattered all over the farm there would be small patches of food for the animals to eat, bird houses for the birds to eat pest insects and flowers to encourage pollinators to visit. His farm thrives. Like I always say, work smarter, not harder, or in this case work with nature, not against it.

That sure is one heck of a dog. My Fell Beast would probably do the same, and stay fed by snacking on passing strangers.
Kittens!

Jan 24, 2021, 10:22
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 10:22
Jan 24, 2021, 10:22

Jan 24, 2021, 05:13
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 05:13
Jan 24, 2021, 05:13

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 22:18:
Dr Fauci must be clueless because he's also worried about the South African strain.

Another thing to be concerned about, the US is only sequencing 0.3 percent of cases, ranking it 43rd in the world and leaving it largely blind to the spread of different variant’s.

The coronavirus variant first spotted in Britain is spreading at an alarming rate and isn’t responding to established ways of slowing the pandemic.

Denmark this past week began sequencing every positive coronavirus test to check for mutations.
Here's the article. http://archive.today/gyD8X

Until last week Germany did not even sequence... now 5% of all cases are required by law.. we'll see the results soon.

Jan 24, 2021, 00:19
NKD
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2021, 00:19
Jan 24, 2021, 00:19
NKD

I liked Larry King but kind of soured on him later on. He's one of those interviewers who was good at getting people to talk, but not good at getting them to say what they really mean. Very little digging into their responses. At some point you're just signal boosting garbage by not giving any pushback. Still, legendary for sure.

Jan 23, 2021, 22:18
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2021, 22:18
 Jivaro

It must be so sad to be so scared of being wrong that you are willing to just keep towing the party line until you yourself are infected. I guess denial disguised as authoritative speaking makes people feel better about themselves and their situation. The idea that someone who literally knows nothing about viruses of this kind is willing to make blanket statements of ignorance when the experts are like "we don't know that" or "this is dangerous if it keeps trending this way" is beyond defensible after more than a year of dealing with a pandemic.

It goes from being prideful, egotistical, and partisan to simply laughable.

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2021, 22:18

Dr Fauci must be clueless because he's also worried about the South African strain.

Another thing to be concerned about, the US is only sequencing 0.3 percent of cases, ranking it 43rd in the world and leaving it largely blind to the spread of different variant’s.

The coronavirus variant first spotted in Britain is spreading at an alarming rate and isn’t responding to established ways of slowing the pandemic.

Denmark this past week began sequencing every positive coronavirus test to check for mutations.
Here's the article. http://archive.today/gyD8X

Jan 23, 2021, 22:11
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2021, 22:11
Jan 23, 2021, 22:11

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 21:06:
So tired of clueless people posting covid information without any or few supporting facts. Mainly because the media distorts it for their own purposes. So when I see this crap about South America I have to treat it as highly questionable. The vaccine targets the hook on the virus hence it is highly improbably that any of the versions are going to be that resistant. So you are doing a disservice to your readers posting this story as it is highly improbable.

So then please show me the official site that gives us the true "supporting facts" on Covid-19. Considering this is the biggest scourge of our lives that should be easy to do.
Thanks!

Jan 23, 2021, 21:06
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2021, 21:06
Jan 23, 2021, 21:06

So tired of clueless people posting covid information without any or few supporting facts. Mainly because the media distorts it for their own purposes. So when I see this crap about South America I have to treat it as highly questionable. The vaccine targets the hook on the virus hence it is highly improbably that any of the versions are going to be that resistant. So you are doing a disservice to your readers posting this story as it is highly improbable.

Jan 23, 2021, 18:44
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2021, 18:44
Jan 23, 2021, 18:44

People have been joking for years that Larry King was already dead because he was so old. Not as old I as would have guessed...

Jan 23, 2021, 18:42
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2021, 18:42
Jan 23, 2021, 18:42

Blue wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 4:28:
The NFL seems to have fully embraced prime time games when possible, so I cannot fathom why they aren't having one of this weekend's two playoff games tonight. Roger Goodell, give me a call. Let me straighten you out on this.
Habit. They have had the conference championship games on Sunday evening for a couple of decades at least.

Jan 23, 2021, 17:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2021, 17:14
Jan 23, 2021, 17:14

I like both games on the same day. Means you don't have to drink two days in a row.

Aww, what a great dog. I always find it interesting what people name their pet in other languages. Boncuk apparently means pearl, or jewel or something in Turkish. She certainly is a gem of a dog.

The South African strain is not the only one raising concern. There is a new strain in Brazil that the scientists argue "also has changes at key positions" in ways that could impair antibodies' effectiveness against the disease. Then there is a strain in the United Kingdom known as B117 that, though not deadlier than previous strains, is more transmissible.

Oh fuck and you, you goddamned virus. Die already! Like Jimmie said in Pulp Fiction, "You're fucking my shit up right now!"

Okay, that groundhog vid was just awesome. What a dude. That's how you do it. You don't need to go to war with nature, just accommodate it. The farmer I met last October did that on his 100 acre farm. He was big on biodiversity so scattered all over the farm there would be small patches of food for the animals to eat, bird houses for the birds to eat pest insects and flowers to encourage pollinators to visit. His farm thrives. Like I always say, work smarter, not harder, or in this case work with nature, not against it.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older