Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free

Epic Games Store now features Galactic Civilizations III as their latest giveaway, offering the chance to own this 4X space strategy game for Windows for free. You have a week to pick up a copy, and after that the new giveaway of Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition will take effect. Here's word on GalCiv3, which now includes two expansions and some add-ons:
What if one day, humans woke up to find that they weren’t alone in the galaxy? They make their way into space and discover other alien civilizations with their own histories and motivations looking to make a name for themselves. Choose your race - Human, Drengin, Altarian, and so many more - and lead your civilization into a golden age in one of the largest 4X strategy games ever made!

Research new technology, design starships, and colonize new worlds as you face threats and conquer challenges from new and mysterious sources. Negotiate trade and treaties, wage wars, spy on your enemies, and promote outstanding citizens. And when you've finished that, play again as one of the many included alien civilizations each with its own history, technology tree, ship components, and more.

Galactic Civilizations III now bundles in the Crusade and Retribution expansions, plus the Mega Events add-on content for an even greater gameplay experience! Join the ranks of galactic leaders today, and answer the question: how will you rule your galaxy?
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free
Jan 24, 2021, 05:19
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 24, 2021, 05:19
Jan 24, 2021, 05:19

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 20:00:
When I’m looking at two different chocolate bars and one says fair trade and the other says fuck all, I’m choosing the fair trade bar every time.

Gamers didn’t have a choice how their money was used before, now they do.

It’s no different than recommending people buy a game like Cyberpunk directly from gog versus a monopoly that greedily skims 30% off the top.

Sure, but you and I aren't "most gamers." We're high information gamers, which is why Blues News is our home page and we visit here multiple times daily. High info gamers aren't going to be enough to keep EGS viable. They need to build brand awareness and inertia with "regular" gamers for that.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jan 23, 2021, 20:00
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 23, 2021, 20:00
Jan 23, 2021, 20:00

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 05:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 00:31:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 16:48:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 14:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 10:36:
Wat
Another freebie!
I was told they wouldn't be able to do all these cuz they'd run out of money.
Since that obviously is not the case my worry now is that I'm going to wear out a mouse clicking on links to snag the freebies.

I didn't say they "run out of money." I said (and I'm paraphrasing an amalgam of various comments) Epic's over-reliance on Fortnite's cash infusion to keep freebies going is likely to end sometime this year after they realize they need to prioritize exclusivity and platform improvements. 2021 is young, so we can wait and see together. Thumbsup

Yeah, they can't keep it up forever. The question is, will they have developed enough inertia to make EGS viable when they turn off the free game spigot?
Anybody who games on PC is aware that there is another storefront and that it treats devs better. They have great deals, that should be enough for viability and there shouldn't be any decrease in inertia once they decide to quit doing the freebies. I would've thought they'd have done away with them many months ago but yet they continue to offer them. shrug
At this point the continued freebies are just extra icing on the cake.
While I agree that the freebies got them excellent marketing, I'm pretty sure that most game buyers on EGS don't realize (or care?) that EGS pays devs a better % than other stores.
When I’m looking at two different chocolate bars and one says fair trade and the other says fuck all, I’m choosing the fair trade bar every time.

Gamers didn’t have a choice how their money was used before, now they do.

It’s no different than recommending people buy a game like Cyberpunk directly from gog versus a monopoly that greedily skims 30% off the top.

Jan 23, 2021, 19:35
Kxmode

Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 23, 2021, 19:35
Jan 23, 2021, 19:35
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2021, 05:14:
Wat
Another freebie!
Since that obviously is not the case my worry now is that I'm going to wear out a mouse clicking on links to snag the freebies.

I didn't say they "run out of money." I said (and I'm paraphrasing an amalgam of various comments) Epic's over-reliance on Fortnite's cash infusion to keep freebies going is likely to end sometime this year after they realize they need to prioritize exclusivity and platform improvements. 2021 is young, so we can wait and see together. Thumbsup

Yeah, they can't keep it up forever. The question is, will they have developed enough inertia to make EGS viable when they turn off the free game spigot?
Anybody who games on PC is aware that there is another storefront and that it treats devs better. They have great deals, that should be enough for viability and there shouldn't be any decrease in inertia once they decide to quit doing the freebies. I would've thought they'd have done away with them many months ago but yet they continue to offer them. shrug
While I agree that the freebies got them excellent marketing, I'm pretty sure that most game buyers on EGS don't realize (or care?) that EGS pays devs a better % than other stores.

Precisely. Publishers get a bigger cut but don't pass that onto consumers. Triple-AAA games are still sold for $60 on EGS.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 23, 2021, 05:14
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 23, 2021, 05:14
Jan 23, 2021, 05:14

Wat
Another freebie!

"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jan 23, 2021, 05:12
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 23, 2021, 05:12
Jan 23, 2021, 05:12

sauron wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 19:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 16:47:
sauron wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 06:46:
I picked it up - also got Battlefront 2 free last week, which is pretty fun.

Yeah, no Hobbits to kill, but plenty of Ewoks!

Yup, killing Ewoks is actually more fun than killing hobbits but they don't taste quite as good once roasted...

The main difference is that you gotta skin 'em. It's a hassle, to be sure. With hobbitses, you can eat them as-is. Broiled, sautéed, or even squashed into jelly, they're easy to prepare.

Jan 23, 2021, 00:31
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 23, 2021, 00:31
Jan 23, 2021, 00:31

Wat
Another freebie!

Jan 23, 2021, 00:08
Kxmode

Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 23, 2021, 00:08
Jan 23, 2021, 00:08
 Kxmode

Wat
Another freebie!

Freebies is a form of astroturfing brand building. Loyalty only goes as far as the next freebie.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 22, 2021, 19:48
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 19:48
Jan 22, 2021, 19:48

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 16:47:

Yup, killing Ewoks is actually more fun than killing hobbits but they don't taste quite as good once roasted...
Kittens!

Jan 22, 2021, 16:48
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 16:48
Jan 22, 2021, 16:48

Wat
Another freebie!

Jan 22, 2021, 16:47
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 16:47
Jan 22, 2021, 16:47

Jan 22, 2021, 14:46
Kxmode

Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 14:46
Jan 22, 2021, 14:46
 Kxmode

Wat
Another freebie!

Jan 22, 2021, 11:34
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 11:34
Jan 22, 2021, 11:34

This is a very good game and it's very mature. I think it's a good alternative to Stellaris which bores me to tears. I don't play GalCivIII anymore because I love Distant Worlds Universe and put most of my time into that game (with the Bacon mod). One amazing thing you can do in this game is create space stations that have heavy influence and trade implications. It's so cool to have a mega space station that's crucial for your survival that you strategically placed.

Jan 22, 2021, 10:36
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 10:36
Jan 22, 2021, 10:36

Wat
Another freebie!

Jan 22, 2021, 06:46
Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 06:46
Jan 22, 2021, 06:46

Kittens!

Jan 22, 2021, 04:11
Rilcon

Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 04:11
Jan 22, 2021, 04:11
 Rilcon

Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 02:52:
Has the excitement of getting free games worn off?
No.

Jan 22, 2021, 02:52
Kxmode

Re: Get Galactic Civilizations III for Free Jan 22, 2021, 02:52
Jan 22, 2021, 02:52
 Kxmode

Has the excitement of getting free games worn off?
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older