Out of the Blue

I stumbled in our NFL playoff pool this weekend when I over-thought my Bills pick and switched to the Ravens, thinking their superior defense and experience would carry the day. I don't like switching picks because it feels so much worse to switch to the wrong team than to pick the wrong team to start with. This is evidenced by my disappointment in getting this one wrong is so much stronger than my happiness last week when I switch to the winning team. I guess there's a lesson in there about risk aversion, but I don't know enough psychology to figure out what it is. Anyway, the first two rounds of the playoffs were amazingly entertaining. So as always, it's a bit of a letdown to suddenly get to the point in the season where there are just three games left. But it looks like these will all be great matchups, so at least there's the promise that these will be good ones.

Obituary: Harry Brant, fashion icon and son of Stephanie Seymour and Peter Brant, dead at 24.

Second-Guessed Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 20, 2021, 14:32
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2021, 14:32
Jan 20, 2021, 14:32

Jivaro wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 21:30:
Put a better way, IMO, it sure is easier to have a dynasty when you have someone like Brady at QB.

I watched that comeback Superbowl live. Unbelievable jaw-dropping performance. We'll never see a Superbowl comeback like that again in our lifetimes.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jan 20, 2021, 11:28
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2021, 11:28
Jan 20, 2021, 11:28
 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 15:04:
Brady wins the Super Bowl and anybody still arguing he is not the best is going to be pointed at and laughed at as a bitter troll. Even without that it's hard to make an argument that can be taken seriously.

He's undoubtedly the best. The Patriots were notoriously stingy for years and outside of 1-2 marquee players, people went there to make their name and then get a big payday elsewhere. They often made do with draft ignored players and second stringers. Brady at 43 is still playing football at a playoff level, that's just amazing on it's own. His record speaks for itself and he's one of the toughest competitors under pressure to ever play the sport. Who can ever forget Superbowl LI? No one can read the field like that guy, he's super human.

He's not the best athlete and he can't run to save his life but that's probably helped him avoid serious injury to keep his career and health intact. He's not my favorite player and his personality feels like PR firm pastiche but he's definitely the best overall QB to ever play.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jan 20, 2021, 11:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2021, 11:14
Jan 20, 2021, 11:14

Watching the inauguration.
Everyone looks so normal with relaxed body language from former presidents to members of the Supreme Court.
A-Rod is there but laughably trumpy is not, what a glorious thing.

Jan 20, 2021, 10:27
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2021, 10:27
Jan 20, 2021, 10:27

Anthony Scare-a-moochy tweeted

"I’m not 100% sure... but I’m getting increasingly worried that the Trump new healthcare plan might not be coming...."

Jan 19, 2021, 23:46
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 23:46
Jan 19, 2021, 23:46

Jan 19, 2021, 23:18
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 23:18
Jan 19, 2021, 23:18

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 20:56:
Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 16:47:
The difference with Brady is that he was surrounded by the best team in football for a very long time. Rodgers had to do everything he's done with a team that was about 25%-50% as good on average. The fact that they screwed him in the last draft and he's still come back and produced one of his best seasons ever - hands down MVP easily - shows he's the King of GOATS. Brady is right up there absolutely, but playing with a dynasty sure makes things a hell of a lot easier.
Yeah, if only Tampa Bay had a top 10 quarterback they'd have been in the NFC title game multiple years in a row now... Okay, yeah -- it is a team game and in football QBs generally get too much of the credit and too much of the blame. No QB can complete a pass without a line blocking for him or without a receiver to catch the ball. Most Hall of Fame QBs have Hall of Fame receivers catching balls for them. Right or wrong though, in most sports it is all about the championships. Messi and Ronaldo get dinged for never having "won" the World Cup. Is it fair? Nope. But that's the way things work. And Brady's six titles, and 4 SB MVPs put him at the top. Oh and for the record, I am a Dallas fan.

in this case, it's easy to see brady's true value since he essentially took over an existing team. also goes to show how complete garbage jameis winston was, that he couldn't win with this team.

Jan 19, 2021, 21:30
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 21:30
Jan 19, 2021, 21:30
 Jivaro

Put a better way, IMO, it sure is easier to have a dynasty when you have someone like Brady at QB.

Jan 19, 2021, 20:56
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 20:56
Jan 19, 2021, 20:56

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 16:47:
The difference with Brady is that he was surrounded by the best team in football for a very long time. Rodgers had to do everything he's done with a team that was about 25%-50% as good on average. The fact that they screwed him in the last draft and he's still come back and produced one of his best seasons ever - hands down MVP easily - shows he's the King of GOATS. Brady is right up there absolutely, but playing with a dynasty sure makes things a hell of a lot easier.
Yeah, if only Tampa Bay had a top 10 quarterback they'd have been in the NFC title game multiple years in a row now... Okay, yeah -- it is a team game and in football QBs generally get too much of the credit and too much of the blame. No QB can complete a pass without a line blocking for him or without a receiver to catch the ball. Most Hall of Fame QBs have Hall of Fame receivers catching balls for them. Right or wrong though, in most sports it is all about the championships. Messi and Ronaldo get dinged for never having "won" the World Cup. Is it fair? Nope. But that's the way things work. And Brady's six titles, and 4 SB MVPs put him at the top. Oh and for the record, I am a Dallas fan.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 19, 2021, 20:40
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 20:40
Jan 19, 2021, 20:40

Jan 19, 2021, 16:47
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 16:47
Jan 19, 2021, 16:47

And it's a lot of other stuff too. Look at most of the sports dynasties regardless of their sport. It only happened because it was the right place and time where everything gelled - gelin' like a felon - with players, coaching staff in particular, and the rest of the org. Yeah, there's always the Gretzky's, Jordan's and Brady's of the world that stand out but it's always bigger than any one player. Vince Lombardi walked into Green Bay and within two seasons turned them from perennial losers into perennial winners.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jan 19, 2021, 15:09
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 15:09
Jan 19, 2021, 15:09

Jivaro wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 15:04:
Brady wins the Super Bowl and anybody still arguing he is not the best is going to be pointed at and laughed at as a bitter troll. Even without that it's hard to make an argument that can be taken seriously.
It is an easy argument to say that is already the case. If he wins another even the Giant fans will have to admit it.

Jan 19, 2021, 15:08
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 15:08
Jan 19, 2021, 15:08

I checked, Tampa Bay has been to three prior NFC championship games. They faced the Rams twice and the Eagles once. So, this is the first time. Their Superbowl year was 2002 when they beat the Eagles. They lost both earlier games to the Rams.

Jan 19, 2021, 15:04
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 15:04
Jan 19, 2021, 15:04
 Jivaro

Jan 19, 2021, 14:08
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 14:08
Jan 19, 2021, 14:08

Blue wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 14:00:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 12:48:
I hadn't paid close attention to New Orleans and was a bit surprised at Brees' inability to throw passes over 20 yards. It really allowed Tampa's defenders to sit on the routes/passing lanes. This has got to be the first TB vs GB conference title match, right? Heck, I remember when TB vs GB was the "Bay of Pigs"....

Yeah, the Bay of Pigs joke was the first thing I thought of too. Green Bay has been strong for a long time now, but the reversal of fortune for the Bucs is striking, and another feather in Tom Brady's cap, not that he needed more. I was sure Brady needed Belichick more than Belichick needed Brady. Guess he showed me.

Yeah, Brady sure is trying hard to make the argument "Best QB in History." It's hard to disagree with that sentiment.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jan 19, 2021, 14:00
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 14:00
Jan 19, 2021, 14:00

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 19, 2021, 12:48:
I hadn't paid close attention to New Orleans and was a bit surprised at Brees' inability to throw passes over 20 yards. It really allowed Tampa's defenders to sit on the routes/passing lanes. This has got to be the first TB vs GB conference title match, right? Heck, I remember when TB vs GB was the "Bay of Pigs"....

Yeah, the Bay of Pigs joke was the first thing I thought of too. Green Bay has been strong for a long time now, but the reversal of fortune for the Bucs is striking, and another feather in Tom Brady's cap, not that he needed more. I was sure Brady needed Belichick more than Belichick needed Brady. Guess he showed me.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jan 19, 2021, 13:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 13:14
Jan 19, 2021, 13:14

I'm going with the Packers - obviously - and the Bills. Unlike the Browns whom I hoped would win I'm certain the Bills can win and probably pretty handily too. Bills and Pack just look way better than KC and TB atm IMO. I think a Bills vs. Packers Superbowl this season would be a one for the books.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Re: Harry Brant, fashion icon and son of Stephanie Seymour and Peter Brant, dead at 24.
Jan 19, 2021, 13:01
Re: Harry Brant, fashion icon and son of Stephanie Seymour and Peter Brant, dead at 24. Jan 19, 2021, 13:01
Jan 19, 2021, 13:01

Live fast, die hard. Never heard of him until the announcement of his death. Based on the NYT article there are plenty of children to continue spending the money.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:48
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2021, 12:48
Jan 19, 2021, 12:48

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older