Riot and Bungie Suing Cheat Makers

Riot and Bungie are teaming up on a Digital Millennium Copyright Act Lawsuit against Cameron Santos dba GatorCheats over alleged sales of cheat software for VALORANT and Destiny 2, the developers' respective first-person shooters. Polygon has the details. Here's a summary:
Bungie and Riot allege that Santos and the GatorCheats staff sell and distribute their cheating software through a website, but also via email, Telegram, and Discord. The software provided is specifically designed to go undetected by Riot and Bungie’s anti-cheat technology systems. Access to the cheating software ranges from $90 per month, up to $500 to lifetime access to the cheat. Lawyers allege that GatorCheats has made “tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars” from the cheats. (Valorant cheats are quite a bit more expensive than Destiny 2 software, according to the complaint.)
View : : :
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Riot and Bungie Suing Cheat Makers
Jan 12, 2021, 10:34
Re: Riot and Bungie Suing Cheat Makers Jan 12, 2021, 10:34
Jan 12, 2021, 10:34

mxmissile wrote on Jan 12, 2021, 09:39:
Cheating is lame, and your a puss if you do. But wtf does copyright have to do with modifying software running on your own PC, that you own (pc) ?

You don't own the software. You are not purchasing it. You are purchasing the right to use the software, unmodified unless sanctioned by the developer. Just because it's on a pc you own, doesn't mean you have the right to do as you please. By that logic I'm free to murder anyone who walks into my home because I own it and I'm free to do as I please.

Honestly, how does anyone in this day and age not understand how software and the end user works.

Jan 12, 2021, 10:27
Re: Riot and Bungie Suing Cheat Makers Jan 12, 2021, 10:27
Jan 12, 2021, 10:27

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 12, 2021, 04:07:
There were a couple stories posted here a few months ago about Activision suing cheat makers. Just like banning cheat users, it's an endless game of whack-a-mole, except we don't hear about it every time the sellers are being slammed. Sometimes a scary letter is enough to make them stop and they don't have to go to court.

I assure you, no scary letter dissuades these people as they're making hundreds of thousands of dollars. My original comment was exactly about those such incidents and how they promote hundreds of thousands of cheaters banned like they're making a difference. What they don't tell you is that 0 of them were IP or Hardware banned and they are already back in the games before the statement ever went live. They could literally shut these people down in a day if they wanted to put forth the effort, but cost vs profit doesn't create room for a lawsuit even though they're reporting record profits. It has become easier to cheat and lie than to be a legitimate player.

Jan 12, 2021, 09:39
Re: Riot and Bungie Suing Cheat Makers Jan 12, 2021, 09:39
Jan 12, 2021, 09:39

Cheating is lame, and your a puss if you do. But wtf does copyright have to do with modifying software running on your own PC, that you own (pc) ?

Jan 12, 2021, 04:07
Re: Riot and Bungie Suing Cheat Makers Jan 12, 2021, 04:07
Jan 12, 2021, 04:07

There were a couple stories posted here a few months ago about Activision suing cheat makers. Just like banning cheat users, it's an endless game of whack-a-mole, except we don't hear about it every time the sellers are being slammed. Sometimes a scary letter is enough to make them stop and they don't have to go to court.

Jan 11, 2021, 23:43
Re: Riot and Bungie Suing Cheat Makers Jan 11, 2021, 23:43
Jan 11, 2021, 23:43

How great would it be if all companies went after the people who create and distribute these cheats for all games and not just for the press to keep players around. Looking at you blizzard/activision...
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older