Jan 11, 2021, 12:26

Lol
Translation:
“We’re having a hard time finding a host for our treason-planning platform.”

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jan 11, 2021, 12:30
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 12:30
Jan 11, 2021, 12:30

'longer than expected' ain't long enough.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jan 11, 2021, 12:31
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 12:31
Jan 11, 2021, 12:31

He should look in Russia. I suspect there are providers there willing to support his message.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 11, 2021, 12:39
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 12:39
Jan 11, 2021, 12:39

This is just another attempt by the corrupt left wing tech companies to stifle conservative christian conversation. What they are doing is disgusting and I'm not going to take it any more. There's nothing going on in Parler that's hate speech or anything else it's just a group of people wanting to have a Twitter like experience without having some sort of disclaimer on the bottom or worried about their accounts getting banned or anything else.

-- my former coworker here in Georgia

Jan 11, 2021, 13:05
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 13:05
Jan 11, 2021, 13:05

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 12:39:
This is just another attempt by the corrupt left wing tech companies to stifle conservative christian conversation. What they are doing is disgusting and I'm not going to take it any more. There's nothing going on in Parler that's hate speech or anything else it's just a group of people wanting to have a Twitter like experience without having some sort of disclaimer on the bottom or worried about their accounts getting banned or anything else.

Sheesh, how do people NOT consider the thousands (tens of thousands?) of death threats and calls for the violent overthrow of the government, along with the murder and torture of anyone they disagree with, hate speech?

Also, so much for businesses being able to deny service at any point, for any reason. Those anti-gay bakers are going to be pissed.

Jan 11, 2021, 13:56
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 13:56
Jan 11, 2021, 13:56

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 13:05:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 12:39:

Sheesh, how do people NOT consider the thousands (tens of thousands?) of death threats and calls for the violent overthrow of the government, along with the murder and torture of anyone they disagree with, hate speech?

Also, so much for businesses being able to deny service at any point, for any reason. Those anti-gay bakers are going to be pissed.

I know, right? Which means Twitter and Facebook and all the other social media apps should have been shut down this summer as well.

Everyone is OK with censoring people they disagree with. Just wait until it's your opinion they disagree with and you get censored. I don't agree with either side, since they are both full of self-serving politicians just looking to get rich and powerful off the backs of the people. The logic defying twists both sides play trying to redefine reality is just mind blowing.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jan 11, 2021, 14:10
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 14:10

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 13:56:
Everyone is OK with censoring people they disagree with. Just wait until it's your opinion they disagree with and you get censored. I don't agree with either side, since they are both full of self-serving politicians just looking to get rich and powerful off the backs of the people. The logic defying twists both sides play trying to redefine reality is just mind blowing.

This.

Honestly, I have been trying to stay away from Political threads.

I just wish Blue would stop posting Political Headlines... unless directly related to gaming, like the Jack Thompson asshat.
Couldn't care less what twitter and other shit companies are doing. (Has nothing to do with Trump... hated Facebook, Twitter, and the rest of them long before politics... and I hope the Dems break them up)
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 14:10

The reality is the United States Capital was stormed and two police officers are dead along with four trumpoloons.

What reality are you experiencing that's any different.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jan 11, 2021, 14:19
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 14:19
Jan 11, 2021, 14:19

Everyone is OK with censoring people they disagree with. Just wait until it's your opinion they disagree with and you get censored.
There is no censorship happening. Government action is required for censorship. No one has a right to free speech on a company application. The company decides the rules.

Jan 11, 2021, 14:21
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 14:21
Jan 11, 2021, 14:21

wtf_man wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 14:10:

This.

Honestly, I have been trying to stay away from Political threads.

I just wish Blue would stop posting Political Headlines... unless directly related to gaming, like the Jack Thompson asshat.
Couldn't care less what twitter and other shit companies are doing. (Has nothing to do with Trump... hated Facebook, Twitter, and the rest of them long before politics... and I hope the Dems break them up)

Remember when Jack Thompson lost his license to practice law? How dare they censor him like that? The courtroom was his platform

Jan 11, 2021, 14:22
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 14:22
Jan 11, 2021, 14:22
 Verno

I know, right? Which means Twitter and Facebook and all the other social media apps should have been shut down this summer as well.

The first amendment does not guarantee people the right to be an asshole on corporations platforms on the internet. It guarantees you the right to speak your opinion, free from government interference and oppression. It does not guarantee that a corporation can host a titanic amount of hate speech under the guise of "conservative views" and that other corporations have to do business with them. Parler is dangerous and companies do not want any part of a platform that doesn't even make a modicum of effort to police itself.

We have no free speech at all if we allow our democracy to be overthrown by those that have no interest in it. What exactly are you upset about here? I don't think you're using the word censorship properly to describe this situation and you seem to be purposely ignoring some pretty important context. Amazon isn't deplatforming my personal site which has some political commentary on it because I am not hosting content that breaks their TOS. So I don't worry about it.

Is this fair though? Generally speaking the stories are labeled appropriately and most of the time they're sectioned off. No one makes me click on this stuff, I choose to do so. I don't think anyone clicked this comment thread expecting a discussion on GPUs. What I dislike is when people derail existing threads with political comments and the silly quote cheerleading, the latter of which I would love to clamp down on.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2021, 14:34.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jan 11, 2021, 15:00
Tomas

Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:00
Jan 11, 2021, 15:00
 Tomas

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 14:19:
Everyone is OK with censoring people they disagree with. Just wait until it's your opinion they disagree with and you get censored.
There is no censorship happening. Government action is required for censorship. No one has a right to free speech on a company application. The company decides the rules.

Edit: Mr. Tact, only this first paragraph was directed to you. Didn't want to sound like I was attacking you specifically.

I understand what you're trying to say, but what you said is just wrong. It's 100% censorship, but done by entities other than government. Sure, it's legal, but it's not necessarily good for our republic.

Intentions do matter, but there's a reason even that bastion of conservatism, the ACLU, is worried about what's going on. If what is taking place regarding suppression of voices doesn't cause a little panic in your heart (even if met by a measure of relief) you aren't really that concerned with the intent of the first amendment. Many people seem ecstatic to paint everything as black and white when it suits their political leanings, but the world is far more grey.

Things could be going lord of the flies out there and some of your would be cheering it as a victory.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2021, 15:14.

Jan 11, 2021, 15:04
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:04
Jan 11, 2021, 15:04

Verno wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 14:22:
The first amendment does not guarantee people the right to be an asshole on corporations platforms on the internet. It guarantees you the right to speak your opinion, free from government interference and oppression. It does not guarantee that a corporation can host a titanic amount of hate speech under the guise of "conservative views" and that other corporations have to do business with them. Parler is dangerous and companies do not want any part of a platform that doesn't even make a modicum of effort to police itself.
Furthermore, the federal government should not impose that private companies are required to give a megaphone to individuals that break their TOS and spew dangerous rhetoric because they arbitrarily deem that person essential for political conversation. Yes Trump is still technically president, but he's also a traitor that will likely either flee the country or spend some time in prison.

Everything that Twitter has done to bring attention to misinformation is what Parler says they will not moderate. Because they will inevitably be a source of stories about Hillary Clinton drinking the blood of children (and other lovely conspiricies), tech companies are understandably going on the offensive and shutting it down.

I think big tech has been absent for too long on these issues, but now that there's less money to be made from these hooligans, they are willing to take drastic measures. It's disgustingly late, but at least it's finally happening.

Jan 11, 2021, 15:08
Tom
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:08
Tom

Tomas wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 15:00:
I understand what you're trying to say, but what you said is just wrong. It's 100% censorship, but done by entities other than government. Sure, it's legal, but it's not necessarily good for our republic.
So... you think it would be better for our republic if companies did not have the freedom to decide their own terms of service within the constraints of the law?

Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:08

Intentions do matter, but there's a reason even that bastion of conservatism, the ACLU, is worried about what's going on. If what is taking place regarding suppression of voices doesn't cause a little panic in your heart (even if met by a measure of relief) you aren't really that concerned with the intent of the first amendment. Many people seem ecstatic to paint everything as black and white when it suits their political leanings, but the world is far more grey.

Things could be going lord of the flies out there and some of your would be cheering it as a victory.

People with significant power saying whatever they want, without repercussions, without meaningful fact checking, is a bigger problem.

People with power such as Trump use Twitter as a one-way communication device. He would avoid the press and the media, and put his message into this, where it reaches the people he wanted it to reach without any kind of dialogue, feedback, or discussion.

Jan 11, 2021, 15:23
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:23
Jan 11, 2021, 15:23
 Verno

Censorship is a trigger word. You can call it censorship that other companies do not want to do business with a platform that literally hosts dangerous and illegal content. I call it smart business. I don't see how that's dangerous to our republic, it's been that way for as long as I can remember. You know what is more dangerous to our republic? Those that do not care about its tenets interfering with or overthrowing government. That's a much more existential threat to the republic in my mind. I'm not worried about Amazon booting Verno's Right Wing Musings Blog from AWS.

Likewise I'm unworried that the most powerful man in the world will find another avenue of spreading his message.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jan 11, 2021, 15:28
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:28
Jan 11, 2021, 15:28

Edit: Mr. Tact, only this first paragraph was directed to you. Didn't want to sound like I was attacking you specifically.

Okay, yes. It would have been more appropriate/accurate if I had said it was not an infringement of anyone's right to free speech. Technically, by the definition of the word, it is censorship. The problem is most people attach a bad connotation to the word censorship, which I think isn't applicable in this case.

Jan 11, 2021, 15:36
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:36
Jan 11, 2021, 15:36

As others have said, this is not a censorship issue, at least in the classic legal definition of protected free speech in the USA. This is a business deciding to no offer service to a customer. Why do you hate capitalism and the free market all of a sudden? Clearly I am exaggerating, but you see that the government is not involved in censoring anyone, this customer, Parler, has just pissed off their provider, AWS, and is getting removed. They can go build their own servers or get another provider. Unfortunately for Parler and the frothing conspiracy theorists that inhabit it, they are unappealing as customers to most businesses. You may be unsurprised to learn that the attorneys representing Parler have also all removed themselves from the company.

Jan 11, 2021, 15:45
Tomas

Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:45
Jan 11, 2021, 15:45
 Tomas

Tom wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 15:08:

So... you think it would be better for our republic if companies did not have the freedom to decide their own terms of service within the constraints of the law?

No, that's not what I think. I love that companies are able to have their own opinions and I do not think any of them acted illegally in any way.

However, I do think it is of value to consider that technology has changed the landscape in both how we communicate and how we get information. I believe there is conversation that needs to take place at this point to find what is best for society as a whole. When we lump everything that has happened politically over the last year into two baskets (democrats and republicans) its easy to make broad-stroke declarations about specific points, but those strokes do little to clarify what is really taking place. Suppression of speech is something that alarms me regardless of who is being suppressed. Just because it is legal doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

Here's the statement from the ACLU lawyers - I think it's worth reading and thinking about.

“We understand the desire to permanently suspend him now, but it should concern everyone when companies like Facebook and Twitter wield the unchecked power to remove people from platforms that have become indispensable for the speech of billions — especially when political realities make those decisions easier,” said Kate Ruane, ACLU senior legislative counsel, in a statement. “President Trump can turn to his press team or Fox News to communicate with the public, but others — like the many Black, Brown, and LGBTQ activists who have been censored by social media companies — will not have that luxury.”

Jan 11, 2021, 15:56
Tom
Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 11, 2021, 15:56
Jan 11, 2021, 15:56
Tom

Tomas wrote on Jan 11, 2021, 15:45:
Suppression of speech is something that alarms me regardless of who is being suppressed. Just because it is legal doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.
Incitement of violence and hate speech. That's what's being suppressed. Is that alarming? In my opinion it's far more alarming to allow that sort of thing to proliferate unchecked. That's what got us to this point.
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer