Out of the Blue

I can't act like nothing unusual is going on after the shocking events of yesterday. Nobody needs commentary about this from a games website, but it doesn't seem right to blather on about ducks or TV shows under the circumstances. There's been discussion of this in the forums, I'll just ask that everyone try to remain civil, despite how inflammatory the situation is. Thank you.

Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Stories
Thanks RedEye9.

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 8, 2021, 21:08
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 21:08
Jan 8, 2021, 21:08

Kosumo wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 20:55:
No, the go to platform for dumb, gullible people is Chris Roberts CIG studios.
In Chris Roberts' best wet dream he wouldn't raise as much money as collected by Trump from his followers. He raised over $100m just since he lost the election...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 8, 2021, 20:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 20:55
Jan 8, 2021, 20:55

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 19:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 19:19:
Apparently they have also permanently suspended the accounts of Michael Flynn, Sidney Powell, and Ron Watkins.
Sweeeet
I guess they'll just join parler so they can deliver their message to the seven people patiently waiting for it in their basement.

No, the go to platform for dumb, gullible people is Chris Roberts CIG studios.

Jan 8, 2021, 19:33
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 19:33
Jan 8, 2021, 19:33

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 19:19:
Apparently they have also permanently suspended the accounts of Michael Flynn, Sidney Powell, and Ron Watkins.
Sweeeet
I guess they'll just join parler so they can deliver their message to the seven people patiently waiting for it in their basement.

Jan 8, 2021, 19:19
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 19:19
Jan 8, 2021, 19:19

Jan 8, 2021, 18:59
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 18:59
Jan 8, 2021, 18:59

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 18:52:
"Trump’s Twitter account is permanently suspended ‘due to the risk of further incitement of violence'."
Deal Allthumbsup Heart Jester Thumbsup

Jan 8, 2021, 18:52
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 18:52
Jan 8, 2021, 18:52

"Trump’s Twitter account is permanently suspended ‘due to the risk of further incitement of violence'."

Jan 8, 2021, 17:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 17:39
Jan 8, 2021, 17:39

Out of curiosity, I checked all the Trump family Twitter accounts just now, and Rudi Giuliani's. Unsurprisingly, not a single post in 54 hours, except Ivanka and Jr who retweeted Sr's video.

No outrage for the unhinged accusations of the Liberals and fake news media?

I'm gonna take a wild guess here, that their attorneys have secured their Twitter accounts.
- "If Men Could Get Pregnant, Abortion Clinics Would Be Like Starbucks" - Nasim Pedrad

Jan 8, 2021, 17:19
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 17:19
Jan 8, 2021, 17:19

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 14:20:
But he fomented a riot and then refused to send the National Guard to help.
Since Trump has never told a lie in the four years that he has been King I am very confused about what he said yesterday and also your very offensive statement about him refusing to send the national guard. I trust my God over some rando in a gaming forum.

Here is a quote from the statement my savior made on Thursday.

I immediately deployed the national guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel The Intruders.

I refuse to believe Pence went out of the chain of command and deployed them.

Take it back jdreyer or I'm gonna...

src

Jan 8, 2021, 17:17
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 17:17
Jan 8, 2021, 17:17

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 13:18:
Reality distortion field much? All those BLM "marches" were actual riots resulting in the assault, crippling, and murder of first responders and other innocent people who got caught up by the mobs. The untold destruction of both private and public property, massive arson, massive amounts of looting, etc.

Yeah, there was a bit of a scrum there yesterday but it was nothing compared to all of the BLM riots. Jesus, in Portland they took over parts of the city. Give your head a shake. One of these things is not like the others. Not even remotely close.

Twice you said "all" the BLM marches.
Which can't possibly be true because there were hundreds of such marches... I was in one... and it wasn't violent. No property destruction. Just a peaceful march for racial justice and equality.

Jan 8, 2021, 16:46
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 16:46
Jan 8, 2021, 16:46
 Verno

I don't know. When you have Guliani saying "lets have trial by combat" and Trump himself offering them praise and "love" afterwards, I think there was intent. He cannot hold high office again, the risk is too great.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jan 8, 2021, 14:20
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 14:20

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 14:01:
I am going to give Trump the benefit of the doubt (much as it pains me) that he didn't actually want a riot.

He obviously DID want the crowd (he clearly asked them to) to march to the Capitol building and create a scene in order to intimidate the VP and the Congress. I don't know if he actually believed it would overturn the election, or at least disrupt the proceedings, but it was all done in order to lend more credence to his delusional view that there was 'wide spread voter fraud' and, more importantly, that he's not a 'loser'.

I also think it's obvious, from his initial tweets, that he either wasn't too upset about the subsequent rioting, or didn't realize how bad it really was at the time. He just wanted chaos to further his cause. That first tweet of, essentially saying, hey you're all great, I love you, you can go home now, was pathetic.

The news hasn't pointed it out much, but Ivanka's since deleted tweet was pretty disgusting too:

“American Patriots ― any security breach or disrespect to our law enforcement is unacceptable".

Patriots? We love you? These people can't bring themselves to say anything bad about anyone who may vote for them someday.

The fact that it took nearly 30 hours for Trump to actually condemn the violence, is even sadder. And instead of live on TV in front of reporters, he did it like a coward in a stilted video on Twitter, that looked like he was being held in front of the podium at gunpoint, and had several edits in it that implied to me he couldn't read the whole speech all the way through without losing it.

You know, he could have actually stepped down gracefully, with the Middle East accords as a real claim to his legacy (assuming they hold up). But instead, he will be remembered for Wednesday's fiasco, and for losing the Senate.

Trump loves to blame the press, and there's no denying the press was never friendly towards him, but no one was better at crapping on his achievements than he himself.
Yeah, I don't think Trump is smart enough to plan and execute an actual coup. But he fomented a riot and then refused to send the National Guard to help. That he wanted to make a statement and disrupt things seems pretty clear. He needs to be removed from power ASAP. Apparently Pelosi is trying to figure out a way to get the nuke codes away from him, but there's no protocol for it.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 14:20

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 14:01:
I am going to give Trump the benefit of the doubt (much as it pains me) that he didn't actually want a riot.
You are giving him too much credit by assuming he thinks. Consider this, what result was he asking the crowd to produce? If all they did was stand outside and chant, that wouldn't have precipitated the result he believe he deserved. The only reason he condemned it at all was probably due to hours of pleading from his advisors.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2021, 14:35.

Jan 8, 2021, 14:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 14:14
Jan 8, 2021, 14:14

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 14:07:
BTW, I have several Canadian friends I game with on a regular weekly basis, who said many kind words of support Wednesday night, and I now realize several of you here are Canadian as well. My thanks to all Canadians for your concern and support. This meme is for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsmemes/comments/jo0q2m/eh/

Haha, excellent.

Jan 8, 2021, 14:12
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 14:12
Jan 8, 2021, 14:12

I can't take credit for coming up with this thought, but I am happy to repeat it:

Why weren't the 120+ House members and 9 (8?) Senators who voted to overturn the electoral votes waiting in the House and Senate chamber for "their people"? They were doing their bidding, attempting to overturn the election. They should have been sitting at their assigned seats saying, "Welcome to your house". Why did they run and hide? Those "protesters" are just patriots trying to make sure Congress does what it is supposed to do -- the very thing those House and Senate members were attempting to do.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2021, 14:45.

Jan 8, 2021, 14:07
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 14:07
Jan 8, 2021, 14:07

BTW, I have several Canadian friends I game with on a regular weekly basis, who said many kind words of support Wednesday night, and I now realize several of you here are Canadian as well. My thanks to all Canadians for your concern and support. This meme is for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsmemes/comments/jo0q2m/eh/

- "If Men Could Get Pregnant, Abortion Clinics Would Be Like Starbucks" - Nasim Pedrad

Jan 8, 2021, 14:01
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 14:01
Jan 8, 2021, 14:01

He obviously DID want the crowd (he clearly asked them to) to march to the Capitol building and create a scene in order to intimidate the VP and the Congress. I don't know if he actually believed it would overturn the election, or at least disrupt the proceedings, but it was all done in order to lend more credence to his delusional view that there was 'wide spread voter fraud' and, more importantly, that he's not a 'loser'.

I also think it's obvious, from his initial tweets, that he either wasn't too upset about the subsequent rioting, or didn't realize how bad it really was at the time. He just wanted chaos to further his cause. That first tweet of, essentially saying, hey you're all great, I love you, you can go home now, was pathetic.

The news hasn't pointed it out much, but Ivanka's since deleted tweet was pretty disgusting too:

“American Patriots ― any security breach or disrespect to our law enforcement is unacceptable".

Patriots? We love you? These people can't bring themselves to say anything bad about anyone who may vote for them someday.

The fact that it took nearly 30 hours for Trump to actually condemn the violence, is even sadder. And instead of live on TV in front of reporters, so he could take questions, he did it like a coward in a stilted video on Twitter, that looked like he was being held in front of the podium at gunpoint, and had several edits in it that implied to me he couldn't read the whole speech all the way through without losing it.

You know, he could have actually stepped down gracefully, with the Middle East accords as a real claim to his legacy (assuming they hold up). But instead, he will be remembered for Wednesday's fiasco, and for losing the Senate.

Trump loves to blame the press, and there's no denying the press was never friendly towards him, but no one was better at crapping on his achievements than he himself.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2021, 14:16.

Jan 8, 2021, 13:50
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 13:50
Jan 8, 2021, 13:50

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 13:27:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 08:48:
Undoubtedly what jumped at me the most...

Cops quick and easy chart in case of protests:

"Leftists" ( centrists for mostly anywhere else in the world ) -> Baton, tear gas, cayenne, rubber bullets in the face/eyes.

BLM -> Baton, tear gas, cayenne, rubber bullets in the face/eyes.

Far right -> *Crickets*

They've "let" them run amok and "let" them enter the capitol. Any of the other groups would've been riot squad'd into submission way before they would've had a chance of entering the capitol. And this seems to be a pattern/trend when you look at other historical protests. The far right goes practically almost everywhere they want, the other groups are beaten to a pulp.

Reality distortion field much? All those BLM "marches" were actual riots resulting in the assault, crippling, and murder of first responders and other innocent people who got caught up by the mobs. The untold destruction of both private and public property, massive arson, massive amounts of looting, etc.

Yeah, there was a bit of a scrum there yesterday but it was nothing compared to all of the BLM riots. Jesus, in Portland they took over parts of the city. Give your head a shake. One of these things is not like the others. Not even remotely close.

Yes, they're not alike. One was the storming of a government building to disrupt a legitimate vote, at the direction of the losing leader, and is 1 for 1 on police officer fatalities.

The other was a bunch of widespread protests that were 99% peaceful, along with some people that rioted and looted for largely non political reasons (in other words, because of the opportunity.) Few people were significantly wounded, and a very large percentage that were were wounded by far right people that came to cause trouble, including two California police officers shot in their cruiser. The overwhelming majority of protests had no injuries and no property damage, and none involved trying to overturn an election

Don't forget that rightwingers rioted during the protests to try to frame BLM and get police to take action against them:
A masked man who was seen in a viral video smashing the windows of a south Minneapolis auto parts store during the George Floyd protests, earning him the moniker "Umbrella Man," is suspected of ties with a white supremacist group and sought to incite racial tension, police said.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jan 8, 2021, 13:27
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 13:27
Jan 8, 2021, 13:27
 Beamer

"Leftists" ( centrists for mostly anywhere else in the world ) -> Baton, tear gas, cayenne, rubber bullets in the face/eyes.

Far right -> *Crickets*

They've "let" them run amok and "let" them enter the capitol. Any of the other groups would've been riot squad'd into submission way before they would've had a chance of entering the capitol. And this seems to be a pattern/trend when you look at other historical protests. The far right goes practically almost everywhere they want, the other groups are beaten to a pulp.

Yes, they're not alike. One was the storming of a government building to disrupt a legitimate vote, at the direction of the losing leader, and is 1 for 1 on police officer fatalities.

The other was a bunch of widespread protests that were 99% peaceful, along with some people that rioted and looted for largely non political reasons (in other words, because of the opportunity.) Few people were significantly wounded, and a very large percentage that were were wounded by far right people that came to cause trouble, including two California police officers shot in their cruiser. The overwhelming majority of protests had no injuries and no property damage, and none involved trying to overturn an election

Jan 8, 2021, 13:18
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 13:18
Jan 8, 2021, 13:18
 Cutter

Far right -> *Crickets*

"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Jan 8, 2021, 12:29
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2021, 12:29
Jan 8, 2021, 12:29

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 12:08:
There was a Republican election expert on this morning, on NPR, who said something interesting. He was saying that we've become so used to normalizing Trump's behavior, that we all missed the point of the ACTUAL constitutional travesty committed Wednesday:

Even if the crowd had peacefully marched on the Capitol, parked on the front lawn, and just yelled over bullhorns, you cannot escape the fact that a sitting President, egged on a crowd of people, to intimidate the congress, and coerce his own Vice President to commit an illegal act. That is not normal. That should never be normal.
While that is correct, I prefer to take it a step further. If the GOP hadn't played along with Trump's delusional pronouncements they might not have even shown up. If every GOP Senator said, "I will not object to the counting of the ballots." It could have been as ceremonial as it has been nearly every other time. Even McConnell has said the 2020 election was more decisive than the one in 2016, let alone the one in 2000. And yes, there were objections by House members in those years, but the Senate was mute, as they should have been. Every member of congress who supported Trump's delusions for that last two months is in my mind as complicit as Trump. And that includes people who have turned around and denounced them now, like Graham.
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older