inXile's Unannounced RPG Revealed

A group of current job openings at inXile Entertainment reveal plans for an unannounced game, as such listings often do. As noted on Twisted Voxel (thanks PCGamesN), the listings indicate this is a next-generation AAA RPG being created with Unreal Engine 4. Here's the abstract from the listing for an Art Director:
InXile Entertainment is looking for a talented and experienced Art Director for a next-generation role-playing game. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative innovator with experience leading and managing large art teams, combined with a proven track record in developing extraordinary visuals in modern RPGs and other games. Working directly with the Game Director and other project stakeholders, the Art Director is expected to set and maintain a high visual bar - and then help lead a AAA art team on one of the studio’s flagship titles. This is a rare opportunity to help bring an extraordinary new world to life with some of the industry’s most well-known gamemakers and storytellers.
View : : :
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: inXile's Unannounced RPG Revealed
Jan 6, 2021, 22:16
Re: inXile's Unannounced RPG Revealed Jan 6, 2021, 22:16
Jan 6, 2021, 22:16

Hrm, I'm interested, although this sounds like it's 5+ years away.

Still, InXile did a great job with Wasteland 3, it's fucking great! Looks pretty amazing too, huge improvement visually over Wasteland 2. Definitely needs some mods for Animal Companion control though, holy shit. Allied animals are hilarious and useful, right up until they accidentally bump a party member into the wall so he's permanently stuck or something. Really could be solved by a Formation control of some sort. Driving the vehicle around the frozen wastes feels similar to the exploration mode of that last NWN 2 expansion, Mask of the Betrayer? Except your icon turns into a fucking killer tank in random battles as well as some mission battles.

I should try Bards Tale IV again at some point, tried it early on, before the remaster, and couldn't get into it.

Jan 7, 2021, 02:46
Re: inXile's Unannounced RPG Revealed Jan 7, 2021, 02:46
Jan 7, 2021, 02:46

I bought Wasteland3 but somehow managed to gimp my characters in just the right way that I can't progress past a certain point. (I keep getting hammered) I actually like the game, Wasteland2 was a snoozefest by comparison, but I feel the game is still much too focused on combat and the tactical encounters than on the role playing aspects. Maybe I just suck at it. Will try it again at some point.

Jan 7, 2021, 05:52
Re: inXile's Unannounced RPG Revealed Jan 7, 2021, 05:52
Jan 7, 2021, 05:52

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 6, 2021, 22:16:
Hrm, I'm interested, although this sounds like it's 5+ years away.
... I should try Bards Tale IV again at some point, tried it early on, before the remaster, and couldn't get into it.

Bards Tale IV,
The beginning city and some designer choices were a little off putting for me initially.
But I persisted, got some mechanics worked out, and ended thoroughly loving and enjoying the game, city included.

VaranDragon, Wasteland 3, wonder if there is some advantage you missed ?
Anyway, rather than losing progress, why don't you try a little "cheating" to pass the hurdle ?
Like going to Steam Hub for the game, and reading expert advice you may apply, or trying Nexus mods.
First thing in any game, go to Nexus, sometimes more excited for what mods I could use than for a game itself.
Shocking some games I finished and then finding "what, you could do that !!"
Good luck !

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2021, 06:06.

Jan 7, 2021, 08:22
Re: inXile's Unannounced RPG Revealed Jan 7, 2021, 08:22
Jan 7, 2021, 08:22

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 02:46:
I bought Wasteland3 but somehow managed to gimp my characters in just the right way that I can't progress past a certain point. (I keep getting hammered) I actually like the game, Wasteland2 was a snoozefest by comparison, but I feel the game is still much too focused on combat and the tactical encounters than on the role playing aspects. Maybe I just suck at it. Will try it again at some point.

It's definitely combat heavy, and definitely favors ranged over melee, unless you have some very good weapons and armor. Grenades also don't scale well at all. That said, there is a save editor out there, which I have used purely to respec my guys a bit, since I made plenty of 'mistakes' in my pre-game and early game choices. Also, ambush/attacking first is far, far superior to letting the enemies start combat or catch you unaware. Almost ridiculously so. If you know you're going to have to fight, just attack first!

Specialized in 1 weapon >> mediocre in two weapons. I did make one purely skill guy, and everybody else is maybe 1 or 2 skills at high level besides their combat skill. Animal Tamer or whatever it's called is super strong in W3, even toaster repair isn't bad on a heavy weapons guy. It's weird. I'm going to replay the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut version again after I finish this, just to compare the two and refresh my memory.

Jan 7, 2021, 11:37
Re: inXile's Unannounced RPG Revealed Jan 7, 2021, 11:37
Jan 7, 2021, 11:37

I still need to finish wasteland 2, But it's just so janky.
Wasteland 3 looks like an incredible jump in quality though.
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer