49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Evening Metaverse
Jan 8, 2021, 08:43
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 8, 2021, 08:43
Jan 8, 2021, 08:43

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 08:30:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 03:02:
So foreign policy and hawkishness is determined simply by the number of bombs you drop? That's kind of naive thinking don't you think? Like jdreyer said, Trump is the only president that didn't open up a war front with another foreign country since Jimmy Carter.

(I'm willing to give Clinton a pass here, he really did help in the Balkans and unlike with the vast majority of American expeditionary enterprises it actually made him a whole lot more friends in the Balkans than it did enemies or terrorists.)

Isn't "dropping the most bombs" and "not hawkish" mutually exclusive? You're really going to pivot (and not admit being incorrect) into "well, he bombed the most people, but he's our most peaceful president"

For one, don't you think there will likely be consequences at some point for constantly bombing villages? People that grow up in fear of American bombs won't go "well, Trump did it, so we have no reason for anger."

My original post was about foreign policy in general. You decided to bring in metrics to make a point. And yes, I do agree with you, people will grow up in fear of American bombs, but it's probably not going to make a difference to them who was president at the time or who dropped more. Especially if they've been under bombardment for the past 20 years. And if you really wanna go into metrics, what about troops on the ground. What about vehicles, tanks, bases? It's all beside the point. At one point the US was fighting in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. How was that better compared to what's going on now?
In fact what IS the actual point you are trying to make? That Trump was as bad at foreign policy as he was at domestic policy? Yeah he probably was, it's hard to make trump look good at anything, but my point was that he didn't start any NEW wars. Which is something that hasn't happened since the 1970s.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2021, 10:01.

Jan 8, 2021, 08:30
Beamer

Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 8, 2021, 08:30
Jan 8, 2021, 08:30
 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 8, 2021, 03:02:
So foreign policy and hawkishness is determined simply by the number of bombs you drop? That's kind of naive thinking don't you think? Like jdreyer said, Trump is the only president that didn't open up a war front with another foreign country since Jimmy Carter.

(I'm willing to give Clinton a pass here, he really did help in the Balkans and unlike with the vast majority of American expeditionary enterprises it actually made him a whole lot more friends in the Balkans than it did enemies or terrorists.)

Isn't "dropping the most bombs" and "not hawkish" mutually exclusive? You're really going to pivot (and not admit being incorrect) into "well, he bombed the most people, but he's our most peaceful president"

For one, don't you think there will likely be consequences at some point for constantly bombing villages? People that grow up in fear of American bombs won't go "well, Trump did it, so we have no reason for anger."

Jan 8, 2021, 03:02
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 8, 2021, 03:02
Jan 8, 2021, 03:02

Jan 7, 2021, 21:26
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 21:26
Jan 7, 2021, 21:26

In the speech Trump just gave he threw his supporters (whom he incited) under the bus.
Doesn't even have the courage of his own convictions. Why? Because he knew it was bullshit.

It'd be nice to think his supporters saw that and were disillusioned about him but I'm sure they still think he's Mr Tough-guy. Even though he didn't go with them to the Capitol like he said he would.

Jan 7, 2021, 19:30
Beamer

Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 19:30
Jan 7, 2021, 19:30
 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 12:28:
Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 12:25:
RogueSix wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 11:20:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 09:08:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 08:29:
Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 07:55:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 07:12:
Jonjonz wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 06:44:
* Emboldened, whipped into a ever madder frenzy, this pro-Nazi mob will escalate the violence until Oklahoma city type bombings become the norm.
* With social media platforms reinforcement and active spreading of fear, hate, and chaos, fascism will continue to rise and this land will eventually be run by a fascist dictator.

I keep hoping this will not happed, but so far, this is the direction things are going.

This will never happen because as soon as Biden takes office (or within a few months at the latest) the US will once again be at war with some third world country and the rednecks will be mollified by their hate for the foreign black\brown\yellow man. I'm not a Trump supporter, never was, but I can't shake the feeling that he lost by a margin, because he wouldn't suck up to the military industrial complex and their escapades into "enemy" territory and opted to openly demonize liberals and minorities within the US instead as his populist policy.
I really hope I'm wrong about this first part though

Of course you're wrong, but about Trump, who dropped more bombs than any other president in history.

Conservatives weirdly seem shocked by that, because they think he was peaceful. The reality is they simply haven't paid attention. The man dropped more bombs than Obama, Bush, FDR, etc.
Helps if you supply a source.

If I'm reading this correctly this is just an all time year high. It's not higher than the total munitions expended in all of those years of Bush\Obama combined. It's not like Biden will stop the bombing in Afghanistan either, I'm concerned that he will open up another front with another country in addition to all the other military adventures that the US is already involved with.

Yeah, and it's also only a year high for Afghanistan in particular. There is no way that the Trump administration dropped more bombs globally than the Obama administration. Obama bombed the bajeezus out of Iraq, Libya, Syria and Afghanistan during his terms which must have amounted to quite a lot of hardware.
The relative peacefulness is one of the few positive things about the stable genius. His middle east politics also led to pretty good results taking the pressure off Israel by making UAE and Bahrain acknowledge the right of Israel's existence which is a rarity among Arab states.
Pretty much everything else was a catastrophe though so good riddance and hopefully Biden can serve well as an interim president while the Reps and Dems rebuild from the inside.

Trump dropped more bombs in his first term than any other president

Six months into Trump’s presidency, we now have enough data to assess his own approach. The results are clear: Judging from Trump’s embrace of the use of air power — the signature tactic of U.S. military intervention — he is the most hawkish president in modern history. Under Trump, the United States has dropped about 20,650 bombs through July 31, or 80 percent the number dropped under Obama for the entirety of 2016. At this rate, Trump will exceed Obama’s last-year total by Labor Day. In Iraq and Syria, data shows that the United States is dropping bombs at unprecedented levels. In July, the coalition to defeat the Islamic State (read: the United States) dropped 4,313 bombs, 77 percent more than it dropped last July. In June, the number was 4,848 — 1,600 more bombs than were dropped in any one month under President Barack Obama since the anti-ISIS campaign started three years ago.

In Afghanistan, the number of weapons released has also shot up since Trump took office. April saw more bombs dropped in the country since the height of Obama’s troop surge in 2012. That was also the month that the United States bombed Afghanistan’s Mamand Valley with the largest non-nuclear bomb ever dropped in combat.

Trump has also escalated U.S. military involvement in non-battlefield settings — namely Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan. In the last 193 days of the Obama presidency, there were 21 lethal counterterrorism operations across these three countries. Trump has quintupled that number, conducting at least 92 such operations in Yemen, seven in Somalia, and four in Pakistan.

Record number of bombs dropped on Afghanistan in 2019

Bush dropped 70,000 bombs in 8 years. Obama dropped 100,000 bombs in 8 years. Trump dropped 44,000 bombs in just his first year

Trump bombed Yemen more than every other President combined

This is easily Googleable. Just because you guys haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not real.

Thanks Beamer

Bump

Jan 7, 2021, 15:39
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 15:39
Jan 7, 2021, 15:39

The Senate trial last time was 20 days -- from Jan 16 until Feb 5. Plus you have to do the impeachment in the House.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 7, 2021, 15:33
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 15:33
Jan 7, 2021, 15:33

Nancy Pelosi has already impeached him once and that went pretty fast. Biggrin
The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice
William O. Douglas

Jan 7, 2021, 15:15
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 15:15
Jan 7, 2021, 15:15

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 15:04:
And they should impeach simultaneously to ensure he can never be elected ... ever
Even if they had the votes to remove him from office, which I suspect don't, they probably couldn't get through the process in two weeks.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 7, 2021, 15:04
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 15:04
Jan 7, 2021, 15:04

Pelosi calls on Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove Trump from office.
amen

I love that old grandma

And they should impeach simultaneously to ensure he can never be elected ... ever
The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
William O. Douglas

Jan 7, 2021, 14:41
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 14:41
Jan 7, 2021, 14:41

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 13:45:
MeanJim wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 11:08:
Why were there no armed guards inside the capitol? I went to DC in 2005 to meet with my reps. It was nothing special, just a random Tuesday or something and there were armred guards at the entrance and in the halls openly carrying SMGs.
There were armed guards. They were busy moving barriers to let the "protesters" in and taking selfies with the "protesters". Some are suggesting that some officers may have even planned ahead of time to do this. Also, white privilege, because we all know what would have happened if it was a bunch of minority BLM protesters storming the capitol building.
I can’t even imagine what would’ve happened if any of them were wearing a jalabiyyah, bisht, kufi, turban, or sirwal.
William O. Douglas

Jan 7, 2021, 14:30
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 14:30
Jan 7, 2021, 14:30

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 11:23:
MrBone wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 08:38:
Anyone that doesn’t bow to our new overlord Biden needs to be imprisoned. Period.

Funny that it was Trump and only Trump that talked about how the media should be arrested and worse, how those that don't support him are bad and worse. Plays favorites with states, simply put no president in our lifetime has done any of that but Trump. You see you guys are the one's saying BS like this and projecting that on to the other side. But it is you, all you and we've known this from the start, but we let the process play out, he got his four years and then we voted him out. It will be that way for Biden to if he doesn't perform and get the votes in 4 years. We know who the snowflakes are, those that started using the word that's who.

And as you say worship Biden again that's projection, you are the party worshiping Trump and you just project the worship on to the other side. At best the most I liked a president is "I liked _________". I have yet to love a president and you know what being a 4 year term, we don't have to fall in love, they just need to do their job on their watch, yield when done and onto next. We don't have a 50 year president that we best "fall in love with". People want a king back, but that is what we fought not to have and those are the same people that scream "constitution". You're all mixed up.

Cope. Cheers.

Jan 7, 2021, 13:51
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 13:51
Jan 7, 2021, 13:51

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 11:17:
* Emboldened, whipped into a ever madder frenzy, this pro-Nazi mob will escalate the violence until Oklahoma city type bombings become the norm.
* With social media platforms reinforcement and active spreading of fear, hate, and chaos, fascism will continue to rise and this land will eventually be run by a fascist dictator.

I keep hoping this will not happed, but so far, this is the direction things are going.

This will never happen because as soon as Biden takes office (or within a few months at the latest) the US will once again be at war with some third world country and the rednecks will be mollified by their hate for the foreign black\brown\yellow man. I'm not a Trump supporter, never was, but I can't shake the feeling that he lost by a margin, because he wouldn't suck up to the military industrial complex and their escapades into "enemy" territory and opted to openly demonize liberals and minorities within the US instead as his populist policy.

I don't see that happening unless Trump starts it as he walks out the door. The Dems aren't all that known for starting the larger scale wars, they inherent them, now they don't simply pull out once they have power and perhaps they should, they do tell us the situations are delicate and if we just pull out now that would leave ally X exposed and that would be unfair to them in several ways. Now that could be bullshit, but I also have to say I can see some logic in that, so imo it isn't black and white and I can't say for sure to just really believe that is the case they are simply there to feed the war machine.

Oddly, Trump is the first president since Carter(?) not to deploy the military in a new entanglement. He did of course continue the ones started under previous presidents.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jan 7, 2021, 13:48
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 13:48
Jan 7, 2021, 13:48

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 11:12:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 02:13:
TriggleDiggle wrote on Jan 6, 2021, 23:21:
Where was all this concern during the BLM and Antifa riots throughout entirety of 2020?
Back then everyone was saying its "Mostly peaceful" "Riots are the voice of the unheard" "The peaceful protest intensified" "Violence is justified" "Its just property its all insured" "All cops are bastards, Abolish the police!" "Protests don't spread covid" "So and so violent gang is just an idea".
And now suddenly the far right is fully in favour of violent riots and the far left is fully in favour of riot police cracking skulls.

The one sidedness when it comes to silencing extremist voices online is going to keep making the situation worse as well.
If you have 2 opposing extremists and you only silence one of them then that one is going to feel even more righteous and justified in their violent rhetoric and the other one is going to feel that their violent rhetoric is supported and condoned. I think 2021 is going to be an even worse year for all of us.

1. Whataboutism.

2. BLM has actual grievances with the government. These guys have no grievance. They were not harmed in any way. They're just sore losers. Their behavior is analogous to your team losing the super bowl, and you rush the field and try to steal the trophy to give it to the losing team. It's childish.

3. The vast majority of BLM protests were peaceful. Like 93%.

4. BLM wasn't trying to overthrow the government. Today's "protesters" came armed with guns, tazers, zip ties, duct tape, and pipe bombs. Their intent was to violently prevent the president elect from ascending to the presidency.

Agreed. I see how Triggle can lay that out, but it doesn't make each equal in value. There was a cop that was judge, jury and executioner in the streets who isn't even one of those (happens to often) this is civil unrest wanting justice, we all saw it and many others and cops are protected by union given immunity which is unjust, no one should have that.

Yesterday is a culmination of lies tangled into a conspiracy theory which fueled people to storm inside the nationals capital building, 4 dead, 4 dead. Now I like to make things more small town local since it is easier to grasp the magnitude of this. I dare anyone here who lives in a town say 150K and under, go start harassing a sitting honorable judge and see what happens to you. Congress is honorable and above that even, I don't know what these people are thinking, the FBI has every right to find them and the sentence should be extremely stiff, you just can't do that.

The two things aren't equal but here we go again on people wanting to champion their side no matter what. I proudly stand as an independent, but I saw the crook Trump was while he ran and he lived up to everything I figured he would.
One thing I'm thankful for is that the protesters were mostly the ones who believe that COVID is a hoax and thus were mostly maskless. Makes it much easier to identify them.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jan 7, 2021, 13:45
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 13:45
Jan 7, 2021, 13:45

MeanJim wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 11:08:
Why were there no armed guards inside the capitol? I went to DC in 2005 to meet with my reps. It was nothing special, just a random Tuesday or something and there were armred guards at the entrance and in the halls openly carrying SMGs.
There were armed guards. They were busy moving barriers to let the "protesters" in and taking selfies with the "protesters". Some are suggesting that some officers may have even planned ahead of time to do this. Also, white privilege, because we all know what would have happened if it was a bunch of minority BLM protesters storming the capitol building.

Jan 7, 2021, 12:28
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 12:28
Jan 7, 2021, 12:28

Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 12:25:

Of course you're wrong, but about Trump, who dropped more bombs than any other president in history.

Conservatives weirdly seem shocked by that, because they think he was peaceful. The reality is they simply haven't paid attention. The man dropped more bombs than Obama, Bush, FDR, etc.

If I'm reading this correctly this is just an all time year high. It's not higher than the total munitions expended in all of those years of Bush\Obama combined. It's not like Biden will stop the bombing in Afghanistan either, I'm concerned that he will open up another front with another country in addition to all the other military adventures that the US is already involved with.

Yeah, and it's also only a year high for Afghanistan in particular. There is no way that the Trump administration dropped more bombs globally than the Obama administration. Obama bombed the bajeezus out of Iraq, Libya, Syria and Afghanistan during his terms which must have amounted to quite a lot of hardware.
The relative peacefulness is one of the few positive things about the stable genius. His middle east politics also led to pretty good results taking the pressure off Israel by making UAE and Bahrain acknowledge the right of Israel's existence which is a rarity among Arab states.
Pretty much everything else was a catastrophe though so good riddance and hopefully Biden can serve well as an interim president while the Reps and Dems rebuild from the inside.

Six months into Trump’s presidency, we now have enough data to assess his own approach. The results are clear: Judging from Trump’s embrace of the use of air power — the signature tactic of U.S. military intervention — he is the most hawkish president in modern history. Under Trump, the United States has dropped about 20,650 bombs through July 31, or 80 percent the number dropped under Obama for the entirety of 2016. At this rate, Trump will exceed Obama’s last-year total by Labor Day. In Iraq and Syria, data shows that the United States is dropping bombs at unprecedented levels. In July, the coalition to defeat the Islamic State (read: the United States) dropped 4,313 bombs, 77 percent more than it dropped last July. In June, the number was 4,848 — 1,600 more bombs than were dropped in any one month under President Barack Obama since the anti-ISIS campaign started three years ago.

In Afghanistan, the number of weapons released has also shot up since Trump took office. April saw more bombs dropped in the country since the height of Obama’s troop surge in 2012. That was also the month that the United States bombed Afghanistan’s Mamand Valley with the largest non-nuclear bomb ever dropped in combat.

Trump has also escalated U.S. military involvement in non-battlefield settings — namely Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan. In the last 193 days of the Obama presidency, there were 21 lethal counterterrorism operations across these three countries. Trump has quintupled that number, conducting at least 92 such operations in Yemen, seven in Somalia, and four in Pakistan.

Bush dropped 70,000 bombs in 8 years. Obama dropped 100,000 bombs in 8 years. Trump dropped 44,000 bombs in just his first year

This is easily Googleable. Just because you guys haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not real.

Thanks Beamer
William O. Douglas

Jan 7, 2021, 12:25
Beamer

Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 12:25
Jan 7, 2021, 12:25
 Beamer

Jan 7, 2021, 11:30
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 11:30
Jan 7, 2021, 11:30

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 11:22:
Just now: Zuckerberg says Trump’s account will be locked “for at least the next two weeks” but could remain locked indefinitely.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/01/07/facebook-bans-trump-indefinitely-wake-capitol-violence/

Yeah they had internal issues yesterday, they people were talking amongst themselves about what was going on, what to block what not to. Zuck orders them no more talk about it and then they revolted. In the end it is always about the company surviving so Zuck yielded.

Jan 7, 2021, 11:23
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 11:23
Jan 7, 2021, 11:23

MrBone wrote on Jan 7, 2021, 08:38:
Anyone that doesn’t bow to our new overlord Biden needs to be imprisoned. Period.

Funny that it was Trump and only Trump that talked about how the media should be arrested and worse, how those that don't support him are bad and worse. Plays favorites with states, simply put no president in our lifetime has done any of that but Trump. You see you guys are the one's saying BS like this and projecting that on to the other side. But it is you, all you and we've known this from the start, but we let the process play out, he got his four years and then we voted him out. It will be that way for Biden to if he doesn't perform and get the votes in 4 years. We know who the snowflakes are, those that started using the word that's who.

And as you say worship Biden again that's projection, you are the party worshiping Trump and you just project the worship on to the other side. At best the most I liked a president is "I liked _________". I have yet to love a president and you know what being a 4 year term, we don't have to fall in love, they just need to do their job on their watch, yield when done and onto next. We don't have a 50 year president that we best "fall in love with". People want a king back, but that is what we fought not to have and those are the same people that scream "constitution". You're all mixed up.

Jan 7, 2021, 11:22
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 11:22
Jan 7, 2021, 11:22

Just now: Zuckerberg says Trump’s account will be locked “for at least the next two weeks” but could remain locked indefinitely.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/01/07/facebook-bans-trump-indefinitely-wake-capitol-violence/
“Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship…The object of power is power.” - George Orwell, 1984

Jan 7, 2021, 11:20
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2021, 11:20
Jan 7, 2021, 11:20

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older