Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats

Epic Games announces they have purchased a sprawling shopping mall in Cary, North Carolina to create a new campus to serve as their global headquarters. Plans are still being formulated, so it's not clear yet if the completed project will include an Auntie Anne's Pretzels or a Sunglass Hut. Here's word:
Epic Games, Inc. (“Epic”), Turnbridge Equities (“Turnbridge”) and Denali Properties (“Denali”) are pleased to announce an agreement to transfer ownership of the 980,000-square-foot and 87-acre Cary Towne Center to Epic, with the goal of converting the property into its new campus by 2024. The facilities will include both office buildings and recreational spaces, allowing Epic the flexibility to create a campus customized from the ground up to accommodate its long-term growth.

Epic plans to commence development of its new headquarters this year and the company will continue to be based at its current location at Crossroads Boulevard in the interim. Epic has been proud to call Cary home for over 20 years and has immersed itself into the community, often hiring locally and from nearby universities as the company continues to grow and scale.

While plans for the Epic campus are still in the early phases, the company is already working with the Town of Cary on its development and exploring ways some of this property might be used by the community. Epic is grateful to the Town and its leadership for how welcoming it has been to the company over the years, and this positive relationship played a significant role in Epic’s decision to pursue a campus that secures its future in Cary for decades to come.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats
Jan 4, 2021, 22:44
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 22:44
Jan 4, 2021, 22:44

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 21:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 21:31:
Maybe the risk manager only checked the plant construction site remotely? How else you propose he/she missed historic tidal wave markers 15m above their plant construction sites highest dam? Besides, the joke practically wrote itself, so you can blame me for aiming at that low hanging fruit
I realize you never intended for this to be a serious discussion about the subject, but for the record... I suspect there might have been someone, who prior to start of any construction, thought the site location was not appropriate. They were probably overruled for either costs reasons or, for local political reasons. IIRC from what I've read, there were reasonable steps which could (should?) have been taken which would have made the tidal wave survivable. But don't worry -- I suspect there are many more nuclear plant "incidents" in our future. It is amazing there haven't been more than we have seen already.

You just don't hear about them. I grew up in a town with a nuke plant. There were never any reported accidents or anything, but you'd hear stories from people who knew people who worked there. I ended up with the exact kind of cancer that comes from exposure to nuclear radiation. Funny coincidence. My roommate in college worked there. He quit after a year because it was so terrifying: walk down this path, Geiger counter if fine. Move it 3 feet over, it's pegged. Inspections for the regulators were a walk down the happy path. When safety and profit are in conflict, profit always wins.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jan 4, 2021, 21:55
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 21:55
Jan 4, 2021, 21:55

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 21:31:
Maybe the risk manager only checked the plant construction site remotely? How else you propose he/she missed historic tidal wave markers 15m above their plant construction sites highest dam? Besides, the joke practically wrote itself, so you can blame me for aiming at that low hanging fruit
I realize you never intended for this to be a serious discussion about the subject, but for the record... I suspect there might have been someone, who prior to start of any construction, thought the site location was not appropriate. They were probably overruled for either costs reasons or, for local political reasons. IIRC from what I've read, there were reasonable steps which could (should?) have been taken which would have made the tidal wave survivable. But don't worry -- I suspect there are many more nuclear plant "incidents" in our future. It is amazing there haven't been more than we have seen already.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 4, 2021, 21:31
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 21:31
Jan 4, 2021, 21:31

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 19:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 18:27:
I am not saying that explains a lot.. but I AM saying that EXPLAINS a lot.
Somehow I don't think you can blame remote operation for a tidal wave causing major damage to a power plant. You might want to blame insufficient risk management planning though...

Jan 4, 2021, 19:12
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 19:12
Jan 4, 2021, 19:12

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 18:27:
Somehow I don't think you can blame remote operation for a tidal wave causing major damage to a power plant. You might want to blame insufficient risk management planning though...

Jan 4, 2021, 18:37
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 18:37
Jan 4, 2021, 18:37

PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 18:04:
North Carolina is the sweetest state, the south but not hicksville,

Don't know what you are talking about, but the cigarette capital of America is most certainly hicksville. Wilmington is a cool little city, but my parents live just outside of it and their neighborhood is about as southern as it gets.

Like banjos and pig squealin' south?
Biting
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jan 4, 2021, 18:33
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 18:33
Jan 4, 2021, 18:33

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:58:
It definitely depends on the type of job and what you do, but if all you need is a laptop and you're all in the same time zone, why would being in an office be more productive than working remotely?

Social pressure to not waste time or goof off; and a clear, physical separation between work and not-work. (Also, a much more structured daily routine with changing locations acting as guardrails for my behavior, e.g. I am walking to work so I will listen to a podcast and enjoy the city, or I am at the office cafe so I will unplug my brain for 20 minutes, eat my lunch, and joke around/commiserate with my colleagues.)

In the before times, I was in the office by 8am, did my work, then peaced out to go to the gym and do other stuff by 4pm. These days, I find myself working much longer hours because not-work shit -- whether it be legitimate, like cooking food, or illegitimate, like browsing reddit -- intrudes into work time, extending the amount of time I need to be "on" for a given day.

I would never suggest that remote work needs to end as soon as the pandemic resolves: we're all different and for some people this has been a huge boost to happiness and productivity. But for me at least, this has been fucking misery and I intend to be back in the office for as many workdays out of the week as they'll let me as soon as the office reopens.

Jan 4, 2021, 18:27
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 18:27
Jan 4, 2021, 18:27

Armengar wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 18:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 13:15:
I doubt any (sane) corpo would do financial and management stuff over remote.
I work for nuclear power station. Our HQ is in Japan, we conduct all our managerial and financial business remotely. This has been done for rhe last 9 years ive worked here. All the senior managers do go to japan, i was last there in 2020 as covid stopped my trip last year.

I had to google how that works in Europe, and turns out that nuclear plants run in Germany have operational sec rules that forbid this but this apparently not so outside of Germany and France... the more you know.

Jan 4, 2021, 18:25
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 18:25
Jan 4, 2021, 18:25

I doubt any (sane) corpo would do financial and management stuff over remote.
I work for nuclear power station. Our HQ is in Japan, we conduct all our managerial and financial business remotely. This has been done for rhe last 9 years ive worked here. All the senior managers do go to japan, i was last there in 2020 as covid stopped my trip last year. This is only for annual appraisals etc, these are still done face to face.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Jan 4, 2021, 18:04
PHJF

Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 18:04
Jan 4, 2021, 18:04
 PHJF

North Carolina is the sweetest state, the south but not hicksville,

Don't know what you are talking about, but the cigarette capital of America is most certainly hicksville. Wilmington is a cool little city, but my parents live just outside of it and their neighborhood is about as southern as it gets.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jan 4, 2021, 17:39
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 17:39
Jan 4, 2021, 17:39

Heh, I wonder if they will keep the slide from the 2nd floor to the first? I got to visit for a Fortnite test about 6 years ago. Building was really cool. Some really cool memorabilia on display, big Gears statue out front.

Remember, Epic is not only video games. Yes, they make a ton from their games. They make even more from their graphics engine. PS5 was developed around Epics suggestions. The Mandalorian? That uses Unreal engine for most of the background images on their state of the art LED screen studios, as do most of Disney's upcoming TV shows, and now their new movies as well. Epic can afford to buy an unused mall at a deep discount price.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats - Lucky Rats
Jan 4, 2021, 17:30
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats - Lucky Rats Jan 4, 2021, 17:30
Jan 4, 2021, 17:30

Lucky Rats

North Carolina is the sweetest state, the south but not hicksville, the triangle and smart people, mild climate, wonderful parks, the smokies.

I would not mind working at site there. Bandana

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jan 4, 2021, 16:02
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 16:02
Jan 4, 2021, 16:02

My entire company has been remote since March.
We're a 500 employee division of a much larger software corporation.
No plans to return to the office. Remote work has been great.

Jan 4, 2021, 15:56
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 15:56
Jan 4, 2021, 15:56

Remote work can be just as effective as "collaborative" in-office work. This is especially true for programmers. I've been a senior lead dev for over 10 years and have been exclusively remote for the past 5. Being remote only has positives. Communication via slack/discord/zoom is perfectly fine.

The only thing that holds back this process is company culture- part of that is management that wants to babysit and micromanage their employees. If everyone wants to work remote and embraces it, it works. Any work that requires specialized hardware is a different story. If you can't bring home crucial hardware, then you can't work from home effectively. The game industry needs to move to remote work. These devs are abused enough with the current status quo.

Jan 4, 2021, 15:49
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 15:49
Jan 4, 2021, 15:49

Don't forget the other upside to remote work...the environment. Since the pandemic started, and a lot more remote work, the air's been cleaner, less fossil fuels are being used, etc. Convert all the unused office space into affordable housing in cities. Cities need drone workers to make them run and that's getting harder to do with the lack of affordable housing. Prior to the pandemic the restaurant biz - in the cities - has been in crisis for years trying to find workers - back of house in particular. Who the hell wants to commute for a minimum wage job - or just above it - when you can live somewhere cheaply and work locally for the same amount?
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jan 4, 2021, 15:05
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 15:05
Jan 4, 2021, 15:05

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:58:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:10:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 12:10:
In a time when office buildings are becoming obsolete

Meh, it's more of a cost, but most humans work better in person than remotely in my experience. I've done a full 10 years of my 30 year working life remotely, so I've seen both sides.

It definitely depends on the type of job and what you do, but if all you need is a laptop and you're all in the same time zone, why would being in an office be more productive than working remotely? I've done both over the years as well and I get way more work done remotely than being in an office (no commuting, no distractions, etc). On the other hand, I can understand if you have a family with small children, then there would be more distractions at home than a dedicated office space.

We'll see what happens. When business owners realize how much they're saving on office space and the business can still run rather smoothly, then remote will absolutely be the favorable decision for a lot of companies (it's already happening and started well before the pandemic). Big cities could become the power plants of the future.
Not all work is suitable for wfh and not all people are suitable to wfh. There will still be a need for office space.

Jan 4, 2021, 14:58
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 14:58
Jan 4, 2021, 14:58

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:10:

Meh, it's more of a cost, but most humans work better in person than remotely in my experience. I've done a full 10 years of my 30 year working life remotely, so I've seen both sides.

It definitely depends on the type of job and what you do, but if all you need is a laptop and you're all in the same time zone, why would being in an office be more productive than working remotely? I've done both over the years as well and I get way more work done remotely than being in an office (no commuting, no distractions, etc). On the other hand, I can understand if you have a family with small children, then there would be more distractions at home than a dedicated office space.

We'll see what happens. When business owners realize how much they're saving on office space and the business can still run rather smoothly, then remote will absolutely be the favorable decision for a lot of companies (it's already happening and started well before the pandemic). Big cities could become the power plants of the future.

Jan 4, 2021, 14:51
Tom
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 14:51
Jan 4, 2021, 14:51
Tom

A lot of work can go remote just fine. I think that the past 9 months demonstrated this.
It takes time for the long-term consequences of such changes to become clear.

Jan 4, 2021, 14:49
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 14:49
Jan 4, 2021, 14:49

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:35:

Company HQ's are never going to be obsolete... I doubt any (sane) corpo would do financial and management stuff over remote. (And let's not forget Engine Development). Also here Epic is just flat out being the good-guy for that local town. Since that shopping mall was clearly dead.

A lot of work can go remote just fine. I think that the past 9 months demonstrated this.
What doesn't work well is anything truly better collaborative, which is a lot of game development. Anything creative, really.

My company isn't going to mandate being back in the office until 2022, but I'd wager I'm back 2 days a week as soon as it's safe (July? September?) I doubt I'm ever in more than 3 days a week regularly, but also can't imagine less than 2.

Collaborative work is basically anything that is more complex than 1 person can handle And there is a lot of work like that, and a lot of it not like that. Lots of management work on a smaller scale level COULD be done entirely remotely (and.. AI driven without people even)

Point is, you want HQ for creative or collaborative work, and you want it all in 1 place optimally. What Star Citizen is doing for example is NOT what the industry sees as optimal strategy. You want your studios to be 100% self-contained and collaborative. The moment you split that (Engine vs Game, like say, Anthem) you have a BIG problem. So this isn't as simple a problem to solve as it appears. Zoom meetings do not serve well for complex collaborative work ;p

It's worth noting, this can be become as mundane as design meetings. Who makes the rules for designs in game-devolvement matters, and it requires CONSTANT input and output, work with concept artists, work with your actual in-house engine department etc. Things escalate quickly in complexity when you want to push that into daily (now there is a nightmare!) 1 hour zoom meetings with tiny screens and delay.

Jan 4, 2021, 14:48
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 14:48
Jan 4, 2021, 14:48

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:39:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:06:
It better have an Orange Julius...
Huh, I wonder if Trump likes Orange Julius... it would be great if there was a photo of him holding a cup with their logo...
There's a Photoshop of him being spray tanned and the intake hose is in a cup of Orange Julius.

So it exists, you just got to search for it.

Jan 4, 2021, 14:39
Re: Epic Games Becoming Mall Rats Jan 4, 2021, 14:39
Jan 4, 2021, 14:39

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2021, 14:06:
It better have an Orange Julius...
Huh, I wonder if Trump likes Orange Julius... it would be great if there was a photo of him holding a cup with their logo...
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older