View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Multiplex
Jan 1, 2021, 13:33
Re: Evening Multiplex Jan 1, 2021, 13:33
Jan 1, 2021, 13:33

Task wrote on Dec 31, 2020, 11:58:
They have 3d radar and targeting computers so the whole cockpits in star wars is a moot point.

Anyways the game is fun, but I wish they wouldn't have adopted the slow speed for everything but interceptors.

In the old games everything felt slow then too but that was a limitation of the perspective/engine (might have made it harder to hit things). Unfortunately you can't live out the fantasy of flying fast in other ships like the Y-Wing aces in RoTJ that you see literally bouncing and destroying tie interceptors. And enemy player ships including your self feel lake laser sponges to compensate for the slow evasion and overall speed.

Imagine if they implemented speed in the way Ace Combat 7 feels for a example, dog fights would be real knuckle clenchers.

Ehhh, you're asking for something that isn't even consistent with the feel of the movies. If you look at the first three (release date) movies, the fighters were flown like WW2 aircraft, especially Pacific Theatre aircraft (close range and low energy fights). Dogfighting was not high-speed off-angle passes (like the Korean War jets), but more like sustained low-g turns with tailing. Most high-speed engagement scenes in the movies portrayed nose-to-nose entries into the merge.

Honestly, where Squadrons falls flat to me, is because you spend most of your time shooting at long range enemies (tiny dots on the monitor) that zip offscreen quickly, as opposed to the much shorter range and lower pitch and yaw-rate engagements on film (granted, part of that was so the audience can see all of the action in frame, as it is a movie and not a simulation, but it does create a certain feel this game doesn't replicate).

Dec 31, 2020, 15:56
Jivaro

Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 15:56
Dec 31, 2020, 15:56
 Jivaro

Well, the modders put different sith and jedi in Fallen Order. I just fought ashoka against maul for fun the other day. The modding community is finding ways to get EA games modded. You are right though, it tends to be harder and take longer than say a bethesda game.

Dec 31, 2020, 15:42
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 15:42
Dec 31, 2020, 15:42

Task wrote on Dec 31, 2020, 11:58:
They have 3d radar and targeting computers so the whole cockpits in star wars is a moot point.

Anyways the game is fun, but I wish they wouldn't have adopted the slow speed for everything but interceptors.

In the old games everything felt slow then too but that was a limitation of the perspective/engine (might have made it harder to hit things). Unfortunately you can't live out the fantasy of flying fast in other ships like the Y-Wing aces in RoTJ that you see literally bouncing and destroying tie interceptors. And enemy player ships including your self feel lake laser sponges to compensate for the slow evasion and overall speed.

Imagine if they implemented speed in the way Ace Combat 7 feels for a example, dog fights would be real knuckle clenchers.
I wonder if mods are possible. The way EA designs its games usually precludes mods.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Dec 31, 2020, 11:58
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 11:58
Dec 31, 2020, 11:58

Dec 31, 2020, 07:42
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 07:42
Dec 31, 2020, 07:42

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2020, 06:13:
Also, as a head's up: They've added the B-Wing and the Tie Defender to the game. Those were both missing at launch.

Excellent. I look forward to playing the game once I finish my first playthrough of CP77.

Dec 31, 2020, 06:13
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 06:13
Dec 31, 2020, 06:13

Also, as a head's up: They've added the B-Wing and the Tie Defender to the game. Those were both missing at launch.

Dec 31, 2020, 06:05
El Pit

Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 06:05
Dec 31, 2020, 06:05
 El Pit

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2020, 20:37:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 30, 2020, 19:18:
Probably going to pick this up from Epic for $13.

Same. Cool inside look. Those Tie Fighters the pilots have to be frustrated. I have this little window to look out and if I look left or right all I see is my wings!

The nose needed to be in front of the wings and you sit right up on the window and it curved around you, so you could see everything. The part about no shields... yeah another miss. Empire dumb.

No, not dumb but evil empire. The empire massproduced not only the fighters but also the pilots (first as clones, later as human cannonfoder) and as a Sith empire it did not care about the loss of human lives. The empire just threw wave after wave after wave on the enemy no matter how many pilots got shot down. The rebellion had much less fighers and pilots and therefore (and maybe also because of some humane "pilots are people" idea) cared a lot about them - shields were absolutely necessary.

Lucas took this idea from World War I where all sides just threw heaps and heaps of people into batlles without actually caring about them but only about the feet/yard/meters they "won".
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Dec 31, 2020, 05:09
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 05:09
Dec 31, 2020, 05:09

Orogogus wrote on Dec 31, 2020, 04:14:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 30, 2020, 21:20:
It's been argued to death for 40 years, but okay... All the Empire needed was something cheap and scary, hence the swarms of shriekers with a profile making them look twice the size they really are. TIEs are disposable, just like their pilots, and their main purpose is to pour out of Star Destroyers for short range defensive engagements. Hyperdrive, shields, even peripheral vision would be wasted on them. They represent the exact opposite of how the Rebellion operates, with very few skilled personnel who travel independently across the galaxy and need strong protection as much as strong weaponry.
It's also the opposite of how the Empire operates when it comes to warships, where they make an effort to field the biggest, baddest capital ships around. I feel like there is kind of a dichotomy there.

You are forgetting that they need to field huge numbers of troops, since stormtroopers are the most incapable and easily killed units in the history of fictional warfare. For that you need big and well protected ships. Also, size is intimidating which is kind of the Empire's thing.

Dec 31, 2020, 04:14
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 04:14
Dec 31, 2020, 04:14

It's been argued to death for 40 years, but okay... All the Empire needed was something cheap and scary, hence the swarms of shriekers with a profile making them look twice the size they really are. TIEs are disposable, just like their pilots, and their main purpose is to pour out of Star Destroyers for short range defensive engagements. Hyperdrive, shields, even peripheral vision would be wasted on them. They represent the exact opposite of how the Rebellion operates, with very few skilled personnel who travel independently across the galaxy and need strong protection as much as strong weaponry.
It's also the opposite of how the Empire operates when it comes to warships, where they make an effort to field the biggest, baddest capital ships around. I feel like there is kind of a dichotomy there.

Dec 31, 2020, 02:11
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 31, 2020, 02:11
Dec 31, 2020, 02:11

As a huge Tie Fighter and Xwing nerd, I approve the extreme nerdy-ness of the above message. QFT! If I may add just one important aspect, TiE fighters are extremely maneuverable and very fast. A skilled Tie Fighter pilot (assuming he survives long enough to become skilled) will use this to his advantage when engaging foes with shields. I know this as I have done this in Tie Fighter the game with great success.

\nerdrant

Dec 30, 2020, 21:36
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 30, 2020, 21:36
Dec 30, 2020, 21:36

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2020, 20:37:

Same. Cool inside look. Those Tie Fighters the pilots have to be frustrated. I have this little window to look out and if I look left or right all I see is my wings!

The nose needed to be in front of the wings and you sit right up on the window and it curved around you, so you could see everything. The part about no shields... yeah another miss. Empire dumb.
Larry Holland's Tie Fighter game from the 90s solved this problem by showing camera views when you looked left, right, or back.

Dec 30, 2020, 21:20
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 30, 2020, 21:20
Dec 30, 2020, 21:20

Dec 30, 2020, 20:37
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 30, 2020, 20:37
Dec 30, 2020, 20:37

Dec 30, 2020, 19:18
Re: Evening Multiplex Dec 30, 2020, 19:18
Dec 30, 2020, 19:18

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older