5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Consolidation
Dec 29, 2020, 08:05
Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 29, 2020, 08:05
Dec 29, 2020, 08:05

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 28, 2020, 22:13:
It's okay to be bitter, but the PS5 still set the all-time record for most hardware sales in a console's first month... At least in the US. Not sure if that other report is true, about them selling something like 2.5m units worldwide in the first couple days, but I reckon it's safe to say they've blown past that by now. Regardless, we're going to find out the official numbers at Sony's next quarterly financial release.

It's passed time reality finally set in, folks -- these products are not sold out everywhere because tHeY aReN't MaKiNg AnY, they're sold out because everyone wants them. COVID has made hundreds of millions of people suddenly a lot more interested in this hobby of ours, and that means shortages.

Nobody is disputing that they are popular and highly desired consumer products, but what you are ignoring is that MOST of them have been sold to script kiddies who have used script bots (more than likely Selenium scripts) to automatically buy up all available online inventory whenever they are available, in order to resell them for a 200-500% markup. Those vultures aren't actually PLAYING them, they're just acquiring them, so that they can prey on people's desperation. And online retailers aren't doing anything to stop them, because to them a sale is a sale.

Now if you happen to be one of those vultures, or sympathize with them, I'm sure you justify that predation with "hey, capitalism". But I wonder if you felt the same way when those same vultures were buying up and hoarding all the masks, paper towels, toilet paper, bottled water, sanitizing wipes and even some kinds of foods with a long shelf life, at the height of the quarantine. Did you think that was right? Did you think it was funny?

I don't care what your justification is at the end of the day. Preying on people's desperation, whether it's for a gadget that their kid wants for Christmas or a box of masks that a doctor needs in order to avoid getting infected by the patients he's trying to help, does NOT make you a "good guy". You are no Robin Hood. You are just guilty of grabbing whatever you can during a time of desperate shortages, and you're just slightly more clever about it than most people are, that's all. And whoever does it should be ashamed of themselves. I doubt they will be, but they should be. If this were still 1942 they wouldn't just be ashamed, they would be arrested. At that time, hoarding and black marketeering became serious crimes, with severe penalties (fines, confiscation of inventory, prison time).

You don't really see any of the worst offenders bragging about their "prowess" at bilking people anywhere except online, behind a shield of anonymity, do you? Because they know that if they did it in the middle of a Walmart or a Target store they wouldn't make it out of there alive. People like that tend to have far more victims than they do advocates, and victims have no sense of humor about their own victimhood.

If you think that people who play by the rules and color inside the lines are just sheep who are there to be taken advantage of, maybe it's actually YOU that has the problem.

Dec 28, 2020, 23:24
Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 28, 2020, 23:24
Dec 28, 2020, 23:24

PS5 Restock Updates for Walmart, Target, Amazon, Best Buy and More
https://www.newsweek.com/ps5-restock-updates-walmart-target-amazon-best-buy-more-1557524
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Dec 28, 2020, 22:13
Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 28, 2020, 22:13
Dec 28, 2020, 22:13

It's okay to be bitter, but the PS5 still set the all-time record for most hardware sales in a console's first month... At least in the US. Not sure if that other report is true, about them selling something like 2.5m units worldwide in the first couple days, but I reckon it's safe to say they've blown past that by now. Regardless, we're going to find out the official numbers at Sony's next quarterly financial release.

It's passed time reality finally set in, folks -- these products are not sold out everywhere because tHeY aReN't MaKiNg AnY, they're sold out because everyone wants them. COVID has made hundreds of millions of people suddenly a lot more interested in this hobby of ours, and that means shortages.

Dec 28, 2020, 20:56
Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 28, 2020, 20:56
Dec 28, 2020, 20:56

Dunkirk wrote on Dec 28, 2020, 16:37:
I'm sure BOTH people who've managed to score a PS5 will find the list useful.

Am I bitter? Unequivocally, yes. I guess I'll get one next June or something.

I find it particularly annoying that those reviewers are either trying hard to ignore the elephant in the room or are completely oblivious to the fact that the only reason they got a PS5 is that they are press. And overlooking that fact and making articles that can only interest a happy few really stresses how far away in another reality they are from people who read their articles.
Well maybe I am wrong and a lot of people are interested anyway. In that case good for them. If not, at some point they may want to find topics that people wanna read about. One terrible thing is that those companies work hard for one thing, create interest in their products. And having no product to sell really goes a long way to kill any excitement about the products. I was counting on being able to buy a 3080 and instead of feeling frustrated, I am feeling like I am giving less of a fuck every day.

Dec 28, 2020, 16:37
Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 28, 2020, 16:37
Dec 28, 2020, 16:37

I'm sure BOTH people who've managed to score a PS5 will find the list useful.

Am I bitter? Unequivocally, yes. I guess I'll get one next June or something.
Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older