Out of the Blue

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating. It's a wet Christmas around here, rather than a white one, as it's been raining all day. This is unfortunate, since we picked up a steak to grill for the occasion, so I'll have to see if there's a break in the weather that will permit me to raise the flag in Manstovia. We also have a virtual gathering later with family and friends. This is not the same as getting together in person, but it will permit seeing a lot of people who wouldn't necessarily make the trip, so there's a bright side to it as well. We may not get the chance to experience another of our holiday traditions, as Bad Santa is no longer offered on Amazon Prime. I actually ordered the disc to prevent this tragedy from reoccurring, so we'll have to decide if we also want to spring for a rental today. It's a little redundant, but Christmas won't seem the same without Billy Bob Thornton spewing invectives and lettuce. Here's hoping the holiday finds you safe and well, and that you are finding a way to accommodate your traditions under the circumstances.

Yuletide Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Links

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 28, 2020, 10:56
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2020, 10:56
Dec 28, 2020, 10:56

One of the first big mainstream movies where I watched it and was like.. "THIS" is the story they want to go for? My god. Also there are so many plotholes with it that it makes you wonder who signed this off and how many drugs were involved... one guy wishing that humans cease existing would have literally ended the movie right there and it's so obvious too... blagh

The other absurd movie being Tenet, which you can only watch if you are DRUNK .. seriously, do not try to watch it trying to understand it.

Dec 26, 2020, 20:49
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 20:49
Dec 26, 2020, 20:49

jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2020, 18:19:
I love a lot of Sorkin's dialog. For example, the first three seasons of West Wing are pretty excellent. However, sometimes he gets too far up his own ass. The Social Network was really good, but the opening scene grates. Also a lot of the dialog from Newsroom.
I fucking love the opening scene of "The Social Network", in fact I have told people who haven't seen the film if nothing else -- they should watch the opening scene. Other Sorkin works which I really like, "The American President" which was almost a dry run for "The West Wing", "Molly's Game" which also has a killer opening scene/sequence, "A Few Good Men" has several great scenes and lines. I need to get around to watching "Steve Jobs", I hope he did as well in that.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 26, 2020, 18:19
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 18:19
Dec 26, 2020, 18:19

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 26, 2020, 15:44:
Cutter wrote on Dec 26, 2020, 12:31:
Have you seen Upstart Crow?
Brilliantly funny British sitcom by Ben Elton - creator of Black Adder. The acting and writing are all first rate.
Uh, if the trailer/clip connected to the IMDB entry is a fair sampling, then again not my taste for humor -- I have no interest. And I'm going to assume my comment on Sorkin had nothing to do with your recommendation...
I love a lot of Sorkin's dialog. For example, the first three seasons of West Wing are pretty excellent. However, sometimes he gets too far up his own ass. The Social Network was really good, but the opening scene grates. Also a lot of the dialog from Newsroom.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Dec 26, 2020, 18:11
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 18:11
Dec 26, 2020, 18:11

Kxmode wrote on Dec 26, 2020, 14:50:
I subscribed to HBO MAX through Amazon Prime only to find out Wonder Woman 1984 wasn't available there. So considering I paid $15 specifically to watch the movie, I ended up torrenting it. I felt like Time Warner is very shady with their distribution method by not letting people know WW84 isn't available through HBO MAX on Amazon Prime even though it is technically HBO MAX (it's real confusing!).

By the way, it's an okay movie. Not as good as the first Wonder Woman. The plot is "strange." I don't mean that in a good way.
Yeah, I heard Tenet came out for streaming, so I went to rent it. Turns out you can't rent it until January 5. You can only buy it for $20.

Thanks for the heads up on Wonder Woman. I wasn't really impressed with the first one, and it sounds like this one is worse, so I guess I will skip it.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Dec 26, 2020, 17:35
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 17:35
Dec 26, 2020, 17:35
 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 26, 2020, 15:40:
I subscribed to HBO MAX through Amazon Prime only to find out Wonder Woman 1984 wasn't available there. So considering I paid $15 specifically to watch the movie, I ended up torrenting it. I felt like Time Warner is very shady with their distribution method by not letting people know WW84 isn't available through HBO MAX on Amazon Prime even though it is technically HBO MAX (it's real confusing!).

By the way, it's an okay movie. Not as good as the first Wonder Woman. The plot is "strange." I don't mean that in a good way.

I watched Wonder Woman 1984 yesterday via HBO Max, but had to watch it on a Win10 machine instead of my Mint Linux multimedia box, because that movie alone has some weird DRM that the rest of HBO Max videos do not. The writing is terrible. I can't understand it, the first movie was far superior. Being in 1984 has practically zero impact on the film, almost no 1980s classic music used, for example. At best there were a few clothing gags. Logic is repeatedly assaulted, for the entire 2.5 hour running time. Somehow WW ignores WW2, Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Crisis, pretty much every major post-WW1 catastrophe or war, and starts showing herself again in 1984 to beat up small time thieves? What the fuck!? She also couldn't get over Steve Trevor over the past 70 years!? The CGI also felt pretty weak, although it was passable. Fighting choreography was inferior. Also, body theft, mind theft, arguable rape, ignored by the plot and characters.

It's a shame, because there was a great cast, some of whom even gave good performances in spite of the material. All in all though, wasted opportunity due to shitty writing. Unfortunately I'm sure this film's failure will be used as condemnation of bringing AAA movies to streaming.

*EDIT* Grammar.

*EDIT* Also, from a comic nerd standpoint, they underutilized two major Wonder Woman villains, for no apparent reason. Inexcusable from a comic nerd standpoint, but a lot of people aren't going to recognize the main villain at all, soo...

I enjoy the first half. The 80's stuff is cool and lighthearted fun but then goes downhill after that at mach speeds. By the end, I just didn't care.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 26, 2020, 15:44
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 15:44
Dec 26, 2020, 15:44

Cutter wrote on Dec 26, 2020, 12:31:
Brilliantly funny British sitcom by Ben Elton - creator of Black Adder. The acting and writing are all first rate.
Uh, if the trailer/clip connected to the IMDB entry is a fair sampling, then again not my taste for humor -- I have no interest. And I'm going to assume my comment on Sorkin had nothing to do with your recommendation...

Dec 26, 2020, 15:40
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 15:40
Dec 26, 2020, 15:40

I watched Wonder Woman 1984 yesterday via HBO Max, but had to watch it on a Win10 machine instead of my Mint Linux multimedia box, because that movie alone has some weird DRM that the rest of HBO Max videos do not. The writing is terrible. I can't understand it, the first movie was far superior. Being in 1984 has practically zero impact on the film, almost no 1980s classic music used, for example. At best there were a few clothing gags. Logic is repeatedly assaulted, for the entire 2.5 hour running time. Somehow WW ignores WW2, Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Crisis, pretty much every major post-WW1 catastrophe or war, and starts showing herself again in 1984 to beat up small time thieves? What the fuck!? She also couldn't get over Steve Trevor over the past 70 years!? The CGI also felt pretty weak, although it was passable. Fighting choreography was inferior. Also, body theft, mind theft, arguable rape, ignored by the plot and characters.

It's a shame, because there was a great cast, some of whom even gave good performances in spite of the material. All in all though, wasted opportunity due to shitty writing. Unfortunately I'm sure this film's failure will be used as condemnation of bringing AAA movies to streaming.

*EDIT* Grammar.

*EDIT* Also, from a comic nerd standpoint, they underutilized two major Wonder Woman villains, for no apparent reason. Inexcusable from a comic nerd standpoint, but a lot of people aren't going to recognize the main villain at all, soo...

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2020, 16:44.

Dec 26, 2020, 14:50
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 14:50
Dec 26, 2020, 14:50
 Kxmode

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 26, 2020, 12:31
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 12:31
Dec 26, 2020, 12:31

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 20:12:
1badmf wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 20:05:
i'm a pretty smart dude, amateur philologist, general lover of language, and to this day i still have a hard time believing that script was written by human hands. the only other thing i feel that way about is shakespeare. way above my language skill level. yes, imo it's shakespeare good, bonus without the fragments of archaic english that litter the bard's work.

In the modern entertainment world Aaron Sorkin deserves some serious credit. If there is anyone else at his level for dialog, I want to know who it is so I can watch their products also.

Satirical Blackadderesque sitcom about how friends, family, historical circumstances, and his arch-rival Robert Greene, who first coined the derogatory term "upstart crow", influenced William Shakespeare to write his famous plays.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Dec 26, 2020, 08:42
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 08:42
Dec 26, 2020, 08:42

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 26, 2020, 02:18:
The concept for the film came from the Coen Brothers, and although they did not write/direct, they were heavily involved in its production. If you enjoy, e.g. The Big Lebowski, you'll enjoy Bad Santa.
I don't recall my thought process at the time, I may have just tagged along with friends, but I did see "The Big Lebowski". Which in retrospect is pretty surprising, perhaps I decided to trust the Coens. My impressions were far less favorable than most.

Wouldn't Ben-Hur be an Easter movie?
Good point. Seeing as it starts with the birth in Bethlehem I often think of it as being an Xmas theme. It is often shown around Xmas, although not nearly as frequently as it is around Easter. It is a fantastically well made film which I have watched at least a dozen times.

Dec 26, 2020, 02:18
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2020, 02:18
Dec 26, 2020, 02:18

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 15:39:
I've never even been tempted to watch "Bad Santa", just not my type of humor/film.

The concept for the film came from the Coen Brothers, and although they did not write/direct, they were heavily involved in its production. If you enjoy, e.g. The Big Lebowski, you'll enjoy Bad Santa.

Best Christmas movie? Can I pick "Die Hard"? If not, it is a dead heat between "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Ben-Hur" (the 1959 version). And I'd like to claim "lack of bias points" on the basis of selecting Ben-Hur despite the fact I am an atheist.

Wouldn't Ben-Hur be an Easter movie?

Dec 25, 2020, 20:12
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 20:12
Dec 25, 2020, 20:12

1badmf wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 20:05:
i'm a pretty smart dude, amateur philologist, general lover of language, and to this day i still have a hard time believing that script was written by human hands. the only other thing i feel that way about is shakespeare. way above my language skill level. yes, imo it's shakespeare good, bonus without the fragments of archaic english that litter the bard's work.
In the modern entertainment world Aaron Sorkin deserves some serious credit. If there is anyone else at his level for dialog, I want to know who it is so I can watch their products also.

Dec 25, 2020, 20:05
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 20:05
Dec 25, 2020, 20:05

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 19:19:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 18:47:
It is an amazing movie with fantastic performances and razor sharp dialog. One of the few Hollywood movies (including present day) where the lead female was older than the lead male. O'Toole was 35 at the time, and Hepburn was 50 (IIRC). Other joys: seeing roles with extremely young Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton. Strategy gaming podcast Three Moves Ahead did a discussion of this movie last year. If you're a fan of the film, I'd give the podcast a listen.
Watching the trailer it looks like it could be a quality film, I'll put it "on the list". For the record, Hepburn was 61, O'Toole 36, Hopkins 31, Dalton 22.

Dec 25, 2020, 19:19
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 19:19
Dec 25, 2020, 19:19

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 18:47:
It is an amazing movie with fantastic performances and razor sharp dialog. One of the few Hollywood movies (including present day) where the lead female was older than the lead male. O'Toole was 35 at the time, and Hepburn was 50 (IIRC). Other joys: seeing roles with extremely young Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton. Strategy gaming podcast Three Moves Ahead did a discussion of this movie last year. If you're a fan of the film, I'd give the podcast a listen.
Watching the trailer it looks like it could be a quality film, I'll put it "on the list". For the record, Hepburn was 61, O'Toole 36, Hopkins 31, Dalton 22.

Dec 25, 2020, 18:56
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 18:56
Dec 25, 2020, 18:56

Watchdog Say Mandalorian Darksaber 2020's Most Dangerous Toy.

"You'll poke your eye out, kid!"

Dec 25, 2020, 18:55
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 18:55
Dec 25, 2020, 18:55

How the 'Goldfinger' Alpine sequence gave rise to Bondmania.

Here's the full scene, if you're interested.

Dec 25, 2020, 18:48
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 18:48
Dec 25, 2020, 18:48

Splendid flower trapped in amber 100 million years ago reveals its beauty.

Holy shit.

Dec 25, 2020, 18:47
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 18:47
Dec 25, 2020, 18:47

1badmf wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 17:13:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 15:39:
I've never even been tempted to watch "Bad Santa", just not my type of humor/film. Best Christmas movie? Can I pick "Die Hard"? If not, it is a dead heat between "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Ben-Hur" (the 1959 version). And I'd like to claim "lack of bias points" on the basis of selecting Ben-Hur despite the fact I am an atheist.

i would've thought The Lion in Winter would be more appealing to your nihilist/atheist side. aside from not at all being a traditional xmas film, it also has the most astoundingly genius script i've ever seen, and peter o'toole was never better.

Dec 25, 2020, 18:45
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 18:45
Dec 25, 2020, 18:45

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Blue!

And happy holidays to the rest of the BN gang Cheers
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older