Out of the Blue

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating. It's a wet Christmas around here, rather than a white one, as it's been raining all day. This is unfortunate, since we picked up a steak to grill for the occasion, so I'll have to see if there's a break in the weather that will permit me to raise the flag in Manstovia. We also have a virtual gathering later with family and friends. This is not the same as getting together in person, but it will permit seeing a lot of people who wouldn't necessarily make the trip, so there's a bright side to it as well. We may not get the chance to experience another of our holiday traditions, as Bad Santa is no longer offered on Amazon Prime. I actually ordered the disc to prevent this tragedy from reoccurring, so we'll have to decide if we also want to spring for a rental today. It's a little redundant, but Christmas won't seem the same without Billy Bob Thornton spewing invectives and lettuce. Here's hoping the holiday finds you safe and well, and that you are finding a way to accommodate your traditions under the circumstances.

Yuletide Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Links

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 25, 2020, 17:58
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 17:58
Dec 25, 2020, 17:58

Lol, raining here too. A bit chilly to boot.

Happy Christmas to you all!
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Dec 25, 2020, 17:39
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 17:39
Dec 25, 2020, 17:39

I'm not a pure nihilist. Nihilism in general has a negative vibe. I do believe the only purpose in life is whatever purpose you decide to apply to it. However, most of the definitions seem to be very negative, for example -- "a doctrine or belief that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility". Now, while I agree human society has major problems, and believe it is possible we will destroy ourselves, I also believe there is a chance we will get our act together and figure things out well enough to achieve what would widely be considered a successful civilization. I'm not sure how good the chances are...

I believe the creation of religions was inevitable. It was the only way to make sense of so many things. But now we know what causes the sun to rise, how the weather changes, and blah, blah. Which leaves mostly the "why" of everything. Personally I don't think there is an answer to the overall why. Things just are.

Never seen "The Lion in Winter".
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 25, 2020, 17:13
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 17:13
Dec 25, 2020, 17:13

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 15:39:
I've never even been tempted to watch "Bad Santa", just not my type of humor/film. Best Christmas movie? Can I pick "Die Hard"? If not, it is a dead heat between "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Ben-Hur" (the 1959 version). And I'd like to claim "lack of bias points" on the basis of selecting Ben-Hur despite the fact I am an atheist.

i would've thought The Lion in Winter would be more appealing to your nihilist/atheist side. aside from not at all being a traditional xmas film, it also has the most astoundingly genius script i've ever seen, and peter o'toole was never better.

Dec 25, 2020, 15:51
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 15:51
Dec 25, 2020, 15:51

Not dangerous if you're wrapped in beskar.
The exploding Nashville rv played a recorded warning before detonation. Someone's been watching too many porch pirate glitter-bomb youtubes.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Dec 25, 2020, 15:39
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 15:39
Dec 25, 2020, 15:39

I've never even been tempted to watch "Bad Santa", just not my type of humor/film. Best Christmas movie? Can I pick "Die Hard"? If not, it is a dead heat between "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Ben-Hur" (the 1959 version). And I'd like to claim "lack of bias points" on the basis of selecting Ben-Hur despite the fact I am an atheist.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 25, 2020, 15:34
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 15:34
Dec 25, 2020, 15:34

Rain and moer rain.. last white xmas recorded.. 2007 checks out heh

Re: Out of the Blue-Santa
Dec 25, 2020, 15:11
Re: Out of the Blue-Santa Dec 25, 2020, 15:11
Dec 25, 2020, 15:11

Bad Santa ----Best Christmas movie ever! LOL
Bad Santa 2 -- not so much, except the scene with Christina Hendricks where one might really wish to be Billy Bob for a few minutes.

Dec 25, 2020, 14:40
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2020, 14:40
Dec 25, 2020, 14:40

It was cold and rainy yesterday but turned to snow overnight so this is the first white Xmas we have here in a while. It's more of a crunchy, icy snow, than fluffy however, and it's fairly mild today. I'm doing prime rib with veg today. And with leftovers I'll roll that into a cottage pie tomorrow. I forgot to get fixings to make an apple pie though, gosh darn it. Guess I'll go to the store tomorrow and grab the stuff to make one then.

Watched Midnight Sky the night before last and was not impressed. Man, did that thing ever drag. To the point where I just started skipping ahead I was getting so bored. Also watched The Christmas Chronicles 2 before I killed that. Wow, is that bad. Think I'll start my annual watch of A Man for All Seasons and Beckett today as I caught The Lion in Winter last week on TCM.

Love that Goldfinger article. I've always wanted a bespoke tweed suit from Savile Row. When I head across the pond I'll definitely purchase one, though ready to wear I think. I particularly always loved the three piece, atomic fleck tweed suit that Daniel Craig wore in The Golden Compass.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older