Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched

We failed to mention the release of Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, but the virtual reality installment in the World War II shooter series launched on Steam on Friday. The Launch Trailer offers a look, and word is: "A deep single-player campaign takes you through historic events on land, air, and sea, sabotaging Nazi bases, subverting enemy plans, aiding the French Resistance, and much, much more." As noted in this post, a new "small game update" is now available that brings the game up to version 1.19. Here's more on the game:
Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond is an action-packed, immersive VR experience set in World War II, where you step into the boots of an agent of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in war-torn Europe. A deep single-player campaign bursting with authentic detail takes you through historic events on land, air, and sea, sabotaging Nazi bases, subverting enemy plans, aiding the French Resistance, and partaking in the biggest moments of the war.

In addition to the rich narrative campaign, you’ll be able to hone your skills in challenging combat exercises, go deeper into the history with award-winning short films created just for the game, and test yourself against your fellow soldiers in explosive, fast-paced multiplayer matches. Multiplayer modes take place on numerous sites across Europe and feature competitive modes where you fight alone, with a team, or even scramble to plant and diffuse timed explosives.

You’ll need more than good aim to succeed in your mission. Use anything in the world as cover, throw back enemy grenades, swim from sinking ships, and dive out of burning airplanes. You’ll have to stay on your toes if you want to make it out alive. You’re not watching history, you’re experiencing it, like never before.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched
Dec 15, 2020, 21:54
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 21:54
Dec 15, 2020, 21:54

Graphics look like Allied Assault.
Maybe its fun though?

Dec 15, 2020, 16:42
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 16:42
Dec 15, 2020, 16:42

Beamer wrote on Dec 15, 2020, 13:37:
Techie714 � wrote on Dec 15, 2020, 11:26:
Those graphics just look pretty terrible, I don't know if it was the artistic style they were going for or are using an engine for 2010?

Normally I feel that people here are way too hard on games, but yeah, I had no clue there was a new MoH in 2020, and seemingly, neither did MoH, because this does look 2010ish.

Clearly not intended to be a AAA title, I assume. But priced like one.

Probably went with simpler graphics to expand the types of hardware that could run the game in VR. Especially if they wanted it to run on the standalone Oculus Go.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Dec 15, 2020, 16:40
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 16:40
Dec 15, 2020, 16:40

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 15, 2020, 11:25:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 15, 2020, 09:50:
I've been told I needed to play for about 2 1/2 hours to get to where the game isn't a series of mini-levels chopped up with tons of cut scenes. Eff that, you don't have 2 hours to draw me into a game.

Not only that, Steam gives you 2 hours to refund the game, so if it takes longer than that to even experience it, you've already lost sales.

I was curious about VR games, maybe someone can answer? I think I saw an official statistic that only 2% of Steam users have it? How are companies even profitable enough to bother making games for it? Or they all just kind of simplistic and don't take much dev time?
A lot of games are dual mode: 2D and VR. Like the new Project Wingman and Elite:Dangerous. So it doesn't take a lot of effort tack on a VR mode.

Some games are based on their 2D counterparts like Skyrim VR and X Rebirth VR. Again not hard to implement, since you're just adding VR features to an existing game.

As for VR-only game, most of them are pretty limited in scope. A lot of them feel like tech demos more than games. There are a few exceptions like Half-Life Alyx. I suspect that the reason Valve put so much effort into it was to boost sales of Valve Index. So from that perspective, it was worth it.
As for this game, I'm not sure what they were thinking. Had they not rushed it out for a Christmas release, it might have sold well and been well-received.
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Dec 15, 2020, 15:14
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 15:14
Dec 15, 2020, 15:14

I was curious about VR games, maybe someone can answer? I think I saw an official statistic that only 2% of Steam users have it? How are companies even profitable enough to bother making games for it? Or they all just kind of simplistic and don't take much dev time?

As saltedicecream said, some companies are willing to lose money on enthusiast projects for a certain amount of time, especially Facebook and Valve, which have stakes in growing the VR market. And some projects are just cheap enough to break even or not lose too much money -- this also includes 2D games that can add a VR mode without too much trouble, like a lot of sims, or games like Subnautica that just put in a finite amount of effort and call it done. So you have big games like No Man's Sky or Fallout 4 which don't have the best VR implementations, but there's a lot of content. You can make some money with VR, just not a lot of money, but spending a little can go a long way for the right games.

Dec 15, 2020, 14:57
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 14:57
Dec 15, 2020, 14:57

About 2 million PCVR users are active on Steam. Total headset sales are considerably higher but VR hardware and software are quite limited now so retention is poor. E.g. VR is very cool but it's also quite uncomfortable (visually, ergonomically, physically), limited, clunky, and high friction. Most of the stuff people are playing are indie games, e.g. Beat Saber, Pavlov, Onward, H3VR, Population One, and so on. These teams have since expanded (and Facebook nabbed Beat Saber) but you're rarely talking about teams with more than 5 to 10 people. Most VR games are made by teams of just a few devs (sometimes even just a single dev). Some of these teams even do contract VR work outside of gaming to stay afloat. It's a work of passion and as for what people are actually playing it's dominated by titles from these talented indie devs.

However, with Facebook subsidizing the Quest 2 (they sell it for $300 and it's estimated that it costs $450 to produce) and it being so easy to use (it's inherently wireless, while PCVR is waiting for 802.11ay) that is broadening the market. But their mobile/standalone focus is also becoming something separate from PCVR--think early console vs PC days. HLA may have come close to breaking even because according to steam stats nearly all PCVR users bought it, but the Facebook PCVR exclusives are huge losses and they are only accessible to half of the market (MOH:AB could've been the exception since it's on Steam but Respawn botched it). Do note that at this point Facebook is really phasing out of PCVR and this is either their last or second to last "big title" for the platform.

Basically, VR would've continued to be an enthusiast thing for another 5 to 10 years--think early days of PC gaming--but Facebook is so scared of missing out on the next big medium again that they're fine with loss leading for a decade+. This (somewhat artificially) inflates the rest of the VR market because it's like a huge money fountain for the industry. They put ~$2.6b/year into XR and you can be guaranteed they aren't making anywhere near that back for the foreseeable future. And unlike your typical corp, they are not plagued by the whims of short term investors because Zuckerberg has secured majority control over the company's shares. AR is another big focus of theirs in their R&D labs and will likely become their primary focus (when the tech is ready) because the data collection, influence potential, and mass market appeal there is extraordinary. Much of their VR work unsuprisingly applies to AR as well, e.g. camera-based hand tracking. I've heard some AR experts joke that VR is just something for their engineers to do while AR technology is perfected.

Valve OTOH has no expectations for short to mid term mass market appeal and have said as much. They've actually underestimated the appeal of the Index, as it's always out of stock. They are just a crazy company and from everything I've seen they are continuing to invest a ton into both VR hardware and software.

Dec 15, 2020, 13:42
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 13:42
Dec 15, 2020, 13:42

The roadtovr review basically nails it: https://www.roadtovr.com/medal-of-honor-above-and-beyond-review-war-never-felt-so-bland/ (5/10) . This was Facebook's most expensive VR production yet and at one point commanded a team of ~180 developers (twice as many as Alyx). It's simply astounding how badly they fucked this up. The bugs, the performance issues, and the lack of detail settings indicate they either rushed it out the door or simply couldn't be bothered to at least make it playable. Probably because they don't care about PCVR anymore.

Dec 15, 2020, 13:37
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 13:37
Dec 15, 2020, 13:37

Techie714 © wrote on Dec 15, 2020, 11:26:
Those graphics just look pretty terrible, I don't know if it was the artistic style they were going for or are using an engine for 2010?

Normally I feel that people here are way too hard on games, but yeah, I had no clue there was a new MoH in 2020, and seemingly, neither did MoH, because this does look 2010ish.

Clearly not intended to be a AAA title, I assume. But priced like one.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:26
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 11:26
Dec 15, 2020, 11:26

Dec 15, 2020, 11:25
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 11:25
Dec 15, 2020, 11:25

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 15, 2020, 09:50:
I've been told I needed to play for about 2 1/2 hours to get to where the game isn't a series of mini-levels chopped up with tons of cut scenes. Eff that, you don't have 2 hours to draw me into a game.

Not only that, Steam gives you 2 hours to refund the game, so if it takes longer than that to even experience it, you've already lost sales.

Dec 15, 2020, 09:50
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 09:50
Dec 15, 2020, 09:50

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2020, 01:27:
Reviews are not good. Maybe a good idea to wait until this is on sale and not pay $60.

Yep, it was terrible. I refunded after 48 minutes. I've been told I needed to play for about 2 1/2 hours to get to where the game isn't a series of mini-levels chopped up with tons of cut scenes. Eff that, you don't have 2 hours to draw me into a game. If the first part isn't fun, you can't expect people to just keep dredging though hoping it gets better. And smooth turn and picking things up should have been working at release. Those are basic VR game functions. Respawn really messed this one up.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Dec 15, 2020, 02:14
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 02:14
Dec 15, 2020, 02:14

I dislike games where I'm required to "swim" on the floor of my house or other similar shit I have to do in VR, where I can bump into shit, step on unsuspecting dogs and children or potentially brain myself on house furniture.

Dec 15, 2020, 01:27
Re: Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Released, Patched Dec 15, 2020, 01:27
Dec 15, 2020, 01:27

Reviews are not good. Maybe a good idea to wait until this is on sale and not pay $60.
Your choice is clear.
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older