Op Ed

• Kotaku - The Cyberpunk 2077 Review Drama.
    "So what has all this to do with Cyberpunk’s scores? Well, everything. Because this breakdown of barriers to entry, plus the breakdown of trust, is what leads to the utterly ridiculous situation where a game so bug-ridden and flawed that many outlets just refused to review it yet, has been handed out 9s and 10s like confetti. And it’s also why any site that attempts to say anything other, score accordingly, is then subject to unbearable volumes of abuse. Then on top of both, you’ve got an audience that increasingly just doesn’t want reviews to exist in the first place."
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Dec 13, 2020, 11:22
Re: Op Ed Dec 13, 2020, 11:22
Dec 13, 2020, 11:22

Jonjonz wrote on Dec 12, 2020, 06:06:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 11, 2020, 21:03:
Speech without liability is chaos, and that is exactly what unfettered by law (230) social media is inflicting on civilization now. It will continue to devolve society until it destroys us or adults step in and kill 230 and make social media just as liable as any other publishing medium.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Liability already exists. The party responsible for that liability online is the person who said it, not the website where they posted it, the app they used to share it. The primary beneficiaries of 230 are not big companies. They aren't the ones who wind up having to shut down, because as you already note, they have moderation and the ability to scale. This doesn't punish them in any way shape or form, or fix the problem. It just makes sure that they will continue to never have any competition.

Dec 12, 2020, 11:31
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2020, 11:31
Dec 12, 2020, 11:31

roguebanshee wrote on Dec 12, 2020, 10:24:
Speech without liability is chaos, and that is exactly what unfettered by law (230) social media is inflicting on civilization now. It will continue to devolve society until it destroys us or adults step in and kill 230 and make social media just as liable as any other publishing medium.
I'm utterly baffled by your ignorance on the subject.

You do know that it is in large part responsible for letting this forum exist, right?

Without Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act Blue would be personally responsible for anything posted by any user, even if it gets moderated afterwards. It wouldn't be the posters that got into trouble, but Blue.

Blue has been moderating this site since day one. Now there are additional volunteer mods. And liability only extends to people making criminally liable statements - libel, fraud, etc. Jon is absolutely correct, freedom without responsibility is pandemonium. There is such a thing as too much freedom. Corps like FB don't want the responsibility simply because they don't want to shoulder the cost, which they can easily do. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. As always, it comes down to a buck with them. And it's not like 230 can't be revised to permit more flexibility for smaller forums where moderation might be considered onerous. And there's an even easier solution to that. Don't allowed people to post without personal vertification. Anonymity is the real problem in this all. Remove that and people won't be so quick to go off, troll, foster propaganda, hate speech, et al. Absolving corporations of responsibility is the height of irresponsibility however.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Dec 12, 2020, 11:13
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2020, 11:13
Dec 12, 2020, 11:13

The video game review industry will never be the same. Truly a sad day for humanity.

Dec 12, 2020, 10:24
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2020, 10:24
Dec 12, 2020, 10:24

That's a very good article. Unfortunately there are still groups of rabid 'fans' or more accurately, fanatics, online, and their insanity and tendency towards violence has only increased in their various echo chambers the past few years. It's also obviously not just a problem for video games, but for all of social media, and society as a whole.

What's the fix? I don't know, honestly. People are more illogical and irrational now, or at least it's a LOT more easier for them to get their rants online, than at any point in my life, it seems. Then again, it's been the same old story throughout human history, mob mentality vs logic, feelings vs facts, etc. Lack of critical thinking, as well as a lack of empathy for strangers are major problems for the human race that won't be solved anytime soon.

I'm utterly baffled by your ignorance on the subject.

You do know that it is in large part responsible for letting this forum exist, right?

Without Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act Blue would be personally responsible for anything posted by any user, even if it gets moderated afterwards. It wouldn't be the posters that got into trouble, but Blue.

Dec 12, 2020, 08:08
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2020, 08:08
Dec 12, 2020, 08:08

EFF
Electronic Frontier Foundation

Section 230 is Good, Actually

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/12/section-230-good-actually
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Dec 12, 2020, 06:06
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2020, 06:06
Dec 12, 2020, 06:06

That's a very good article. Unfortunately there are still groups of rabid 'fans' or more accurately, fanatics, online, and their insanity and tendency towards violence has only increased in their various echo chambers the past few years. It's also obviously not just a problem for video games, but for all of social media, and society as a whole.

What's the fix? I don't know, honestly. People are more illogical and irrational now, or at least it's a LOT more easier for them to get their rants online, than at any point in my life, it seems. Then again, it's been the same old story throughout human history, mob mentality vs logic, feelings vs facts, etc. Lack of critical thinking, as well as a lack of empathy for strangers are major problems for the human race that won't be solved anytime soon.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Dec 12, 2020, 05:12
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2020, 05:12
Dec 12, 2020, 05:12

Ahh, poor Kotaku.

Dec 12, 2020, 00:03
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2020, 00:03
Dec 12, 2020, 00:03

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2020, 21:38:
What's the fix?

Follow the teachings of Surak?

Or Shakyamuni.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Dec 11, 2020, 21:38
Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2020, 21:38
Dec 11, 2020, 21:38

What's the fix?

Follow the teachings of Surak?
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Dec 11, 2020, 21:03
Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2020, 21:03
Dec 11, 2020, 21:03

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older