Out of the Blue

I'm planning on taking a trip to our old hometown to visit my buddy Jedi the Jindo and take him for a walk. This is sort of a proof of concept on whether this is practical enough to do more regularly. I miss my buddy and my waistline misses the exercise, so if this works out it will be a way to kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Walkabout Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 9, 2020, 19:51
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2020, 19:51
Dec 9, 2020, 19:51

Ant wrote on Dec 6, 2020, 17:02:
Simon Says wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 11:06:
Greentiger wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 09:00:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 08:40:
Yeah, I guess I should have left that out, my important comment was me thinking it was "okay". Unless I missed something The Orville is not in this category, it is a comedy.
It started off that way, but it's cut way down in season 2. I've enjoyed all the episodes so far. B-story humor is the best, like when Dan was hounding Mercer to put musak in the lifts.

Brilliant move by Seth, he had to sell it to FOX as a comedy at 1st, otherwise they probably wouldn't have approved. Once approved he had more latitude to direct it where he wanted to go all along. It's clear what the soul of the project was all along even despite this. It's classic Trek.

I suspect season 3, free of FOX, to be even better than the 2nd, and that's saying something, season 2 ( and a lot of season 1 ) saw a whole bunch of good, classic trek episodes.
Ditto. Orville got better like ST:TNG. Discovery and Picard still doesn't match older Star Trek. Orville does. It will be a while before S3 returns due to our COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2 panademic.
Yeah, I gotta watch Orville S2.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Re: Star Trek's Most Challenging Ethical Quandaries
Dec 6, 2020, 17:06
Ant

Re: Star Trek's Most Challenging Ethical Quandaries Dec 6, 2020, 17:06
Dec 6, 2020, 17:06
 Ant

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 18:40:
PHJF wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 18:26:
My partner and I recently tried Farscape... we made it ~three episodes before throwing in the towel. Then I tried to watch Enterprise... and made it ~half dozen episodes.
Farscape is just goofy enough that it can be tough to get attached to it. Enterprise is much better, despite the criticism it received I thought it was good and was hoping for the "standard" seven season lifetime of a ST franchise. Unfortunately that didn't happen...
I like both. I was bummed that ST:E ended early when it got better. I still need to resume Farscape. I left off on S4 E10. Too much to do and see even when locked down and unemployed. Blah!!!
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Dec 6, 2020, 17:02
Ant

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2020, 17:02
Dec 6, 2020, 17:02
 Ant

Simon Says wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 11:06:
Yeah, I guess I should have left that out, my important comment was me thinking it was "okay". Unless I missed something The Orville is not in this category, it is a comedy.
It started off that way, but it's cut way down in season 2. I've enjoyed all the episodes so far. B-story humor is the best, like when Dan was hounding Mercer to put musak in the lifts.

Brilliant move by Seth, he had to sell it to FOX as a comedy at 1st, otherwise they probably wouldn't have approved. Once approved he had more latitude to direct it where he wanted to go all along. It's clear what the soul of the project was all along even despite this. It's classic Trek.

I suspect season 3, free of FOX, to be even better than the 2nd, and that's saying something, season 2 ( and a lot of season 1 ) saw a whole bunch of good, classic trek episodes.
Ditto. Orville got better like ST:TNG. Discovery and Picard still doesn't match older Star Trek. Orville does. It will be a while before S3 returns due to our COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2 panademic.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Dec 4, 2020, 11:39
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 11:39
Dec 4, 2020, 11:39

Another vote for B5! G'kar's character arc is probably my favorite in television history, along with Londo's.

Dec 4, 2020, 11:06
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 11:06
Dec 4, 2020, 11:06

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2020, 18:44.

Dec 4, 2020, 10:41
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 10:41
Dec 4, 2020, 10:41

The Flying Penguin wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 10:16:
And those of you who liked it, I can highly recommend The Bobiverse series. He just released a new book.
Hmm, somewhat interesting concept. Reminds me a bit of Frederik Pohl's "Heechee Saga" where the main character eventually becomes an electronic version of himself (along with others). Speaking of which, I should probably re-read the Heechee Saga, I can only recall a few of the details...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 4, 2020, 10:16
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 10:16
Dec 4, 2020, 10:16

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 09:50:
I'm not fully opposed to humor in sci-fi. I read all six of John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series which is sprinkled with humor, especially in "The Human Division" which is centered on the Harry Wilson character. And it was all very enjoyable. But unless I misjudged it, The Orville is more in the "American Pie" category of humor -- which can be pretty funny, when I'm drunk. For better or worse, it has been a long time since I have been drunk.

The first season was hit and miss, and VERY American Pie humor. Downright juvenile sometimes. The worst was episode 6, The Krill. That was painful to watch, although it establishes the main antagonist race that's the equivalent of the Klingons.

But in there were some buried gem episodes, especially the last three. It's worth slogging through because the second season pivoted and became much more of a TNG homage, with really deep plots and personal explorations, with the comedy toned down a lot closer to the 'Data and his cat' sort of humor. The crew are all morally flawed, and they kept that as the predominant humor element.

Second season really did feel like a lost season of TNG. You could probably start with episode 10 of the first season, and see if you like it

BTW: Another vote for John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' series. I put that off a long time because the description just didn't sound all that interesting, but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable series of books I've ever read. And those of you who liked it, I can highly recommend The Bobiverse series. He just released a new book.
"It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it.” - Billy Graham (1981 interview)

Dec 4, 2020, 09:57
Re: Star Trek's Most Challenging Ethical Quandaries Dec 4, 2020, 09:57
Dec 4, 2020, 09:57

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 21:39:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 20:29:
My partner and I recently tried Farscape... we made it ~three episodes before throwing in the towel. Then I tried to watch Enterprise... and made it ~half dozen episodes.
Farscape is just goofy enough that it can be tough to get attached to it. Enterprise is much better, despite the criticism it received I thought it was good and was hoping for the "standard" seven season lifetime of a ST franchise. Unfortunately that didn't happen...

Farscape is another show my wife (at the time, girl friend) had to beg and plead with me to watch (as with Babylon 5) because she felt I would love it if I haven't a chance. She was right, and I did learn to love Farscape, but not on the same level a Babylon 5. I'm glad I watched Farscape all the way through, and I think it's a great TV series in it's, own right, but unlike DS9 or Babylon 5, I have absolutely no desire to subject myself to that again so I never re-watched it. It's like (bear with me here) the movie Philadelphia. It's good, you're glad you watched it once, but you never want to suffer through it again.

I've always wondered about Farscape and Stargate, but never got around to watching them.

Speaking of moral quandaries, I'm sure your partner had you watch Firefly, if you hadn't already seen it.

We were together by then, but I don't remember if we both discovered it together, or if it was one of the shows she discovered first. I cry when I think about what another two seasons could have been like.
"It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it.” - Billy Graham (1981 interview)

Dec 4, 2020, 09:50
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 09:50
Dec 4, 2020, 09:50

I'm not fully opposed to humor in sci-fi. I read all six of John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series which is sprinkled with humor, especially in "The Human Division" which is centered on the Harry Wilson character. And it was all very enjoyable. But unless I misjudged it, The Orville is more in the "American Pie" category of humor -- which can be pretty funny, when I'm drunk. For better or worse, it has been a long time since I have been drunk.

Dec 4, 2020, 09:00
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 09:00
Dec 4, 2020, 09:00

Razumen wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 23:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 21:56:
there are some good episodes and some bad episodes.
I think this is true for every show in existence.

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Dec 4, 2020, 08:53
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 08:53
Dec 4, 2020, 08:53

It's science fiction-comedy, but honestly I think it leans more towards sci-fi most of the time.

Dec 4, 2020, 08:40
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 08:40
Dec 4, 2020, 08:40

Dec 4, 2020, 05:19
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 05:19
Dec 4, 2020, 05:19

Razumen wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 01:46:
Loved the Orville, it did a much better job capturing what I liked about the previous Star Trek series than Discovery or Picard could ever hope to get close to.

This^^ The STD infection and Poocard are just downright horrible.

The only good Trek remaining if you watched all the shows up to Enterprise are in novel form nowadays ( and there are ~200 ). And avoid the novels based on STD and Poocard, they're just as bad as the shows, written for an ADHD audience and stripped of all the soul that makes The Orville and the older series the jewels that they are.

IMHO, the last best hope for Babylon 5 ( pun intended ) rests with fanmade AI upscaling. Same with DS9.

BTW, there are also novels based on Babylon 5... And a lot of them are pretty damn good. I especially loved the Technomage serie and a few revolving around Bester and Lyta.

Dec 4, 2020, 02:02
Re: Star Trek's Most Challenging Ethical Quandaries Dec 4, 2020, 02:02
Dec 4, 2020, 02:02

The Flying Penguin wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 17:07:
Simon Says wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 12:56:
I see FIVE ethical quandaries.

The TNG fans will understand.

Out of those five, the DS9 one was by far the best episode, followed closely by the TNG episode.

That DS9 episode is where the series got really edgy. We were all so used to Starfleet officers having such strict morals, that when Sisko knowingly compromised his, for what he believed was the better good, it was like a slap in the face.

The irony that Garack had played Sisko (there's some argument as to whether Garak knew the ruse would fail, and planned to assasinate the Romulan the whole time, or it was just a backup plan - I suspect the former) and gone where Sisko couldn't, in order to achieve the same goal, was a priceless payoff. Made sweeter in that I personally suspect, on some level, Sisko involved Garak because he knew it might have to be taken to a level that he couldn't consciously condone.

Yeah, major moment in Trek history. I'd have to see if Ronald Moore was the writer of that episode. You can see that episode as the seed for the Battlestar Galactica reboot, which he was the major writer on.

And if some of you haven't seen it, watch Babylon 5, because that series was all about morality conflicts, long before the official 'dark' era of television sci fi. If you can get past the sometimes painfully cheesy Amiga CGI, that show was a very deep dive into the flawed morals of it's protagonists, and analysis of honorable, and sometimes ultimately heroic, antagonists.

Garak by far was my favoritest character on ST:DS9, and I especially loved that episode. It was a tough quandary, but when you're in a war for your very existence sometimes you bend the rules and if the Romulan Star Empire had sided with the Founders or at the very least, stood neutral, the Federation would've been f****d.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Dec 4, 2020, 01:46
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 01:46
Dec 4, 2020, 01:46

Loved the Orville, it did a much better job capturing what I liked about the previous Star Trek series than Discovery or Picard could ever hope to get close to.

Dec 4, 2020, 01:41
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2020, 01:41
Dec 4, 2020, 01:41

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 21:36:
Cool article about remastering Bab 5.

Because modern computing hardware is slightly more powerful than in 1994-98, the average desktop PC with a modern graphics card can render these scenes in minutes or even real time, rather than the hours to days of the original series.

This suggests a much more modest way of remastering the show is possible. By using the original models and scene files where they still exist, or recreating them where they do not, it should be possible to remaster all of the CG in the original show at a very modest cost compared to the millions or tens of millions it would cost to remaster all the CG at modern, high-quality standards.
However, because the original models and effects are 30 years old, they look like a video game that came out 10 years ago. Here are some bits re-rendered in 1080P with the original live footage and sound effects.

Mrs Tiger was and has always been a TNG fan, it took her YEARS to finally get her to watch Babylon5 with me. Once she actually watched it with me she really got into it (still not as much as Star Trek--but she at least did say that there was parts of Bab5 that were way better than Trek). I also loved Farscape, Classic Battlestar, Firefly, and of course Trek. I was a serious Trek fan until Voyager, and it finally died off for me in Enterprise. I have not been able to get into Picard or Discovery at all--it just doesn't feel like Classic Trek. I do, however, love the Orville.

I think, if I were to rank them it would be something like this:
1. Babylon5 (I would kill for a remastered audio/video BluRay collection set)
2. ST:TOS/ST:TNG/ST:DS9/ST:VOY
3. The Orville/Firefly
4. Classic Battlestar (reimaged Battlestar was good, but 3rd and 4th season killed it for me)
5. Farscape/Stargate SG1/Stargate Atlantis
6. Stargate Universe (I liked it, but I almost abandoned it after the 3rd episode, glad I stuck with it)

Dec 3, 2020, 23:10
Re: Star Trek's Most Challenging Ethical Quandaries Dec 3, 2020, 23:10
Dec 3, 2020, 23:10

Dec 3, 2020, 21:56
Re: Star Trek's Most Challenging Ethical Quandaries Dec 3, 2020, 21:56
Dec 3, 2020, 21:56

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 21:39:
I've always wondered about Farscape and Stargate, but never got around to watching them.
Stargate is ten seasons and not surprisingly, there are some good episodes and some bad episodes. Pretty sure I've seen them all at this point. Not sure I would recommend it truthfully -- overall it is "okay". Although I have wondered over the years if anyone has actually sat down and counted how many times Christopher Judge says "indeed" throughout the entire series.

I liked Stargate Universe a lot more than the original series.

Dec 3, 2020, 21:39
Re: Star Trek's Most Challenging Ethical Quandaries Dec 3, 2020, 21:39
Dec 3, 2020, 21:39

The Flying Penguin wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 20:29:

Farscape is another show my wife (at the time, girl friend) had to beg and plead with me to watch (as with Babylon 5) because she felt I would love it if I haven't a chance. She was right, and I did learn to love Farscape, but not on the same level a Babylon 5. I'm glad I watched Farscape all the way through, and I think it's a great TV series in it's, own right, but unlike DS9 or Babylon 5, I have absolutely no desire to subject myself to that again so I never re-watched it. It's like (bear with me here) the movie Philadelphia. It's good, you're glad you watched it once, but you never want to suffer through it again.

Speaking of moral quandaries, I'm sure your partner had you watch Firefly, if you hadn't already seen it.

"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Dec 3, 2020, 21:36
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2020, 21:36
Dec 3, 2020, 21:36

Cool article about remastering Bab 5.

Because modern computing hardware is slightly more powerful than in 1994-98, the average desktop PC with a modern graphics card can render these scenes in minutes or even real time, rather than the hours to days of the original series.

This suggests a much more modest way of remastering the show is possible. By using the original models and scene files where they still exist, or recreating them where they do not, it should be possible to remaster all of the CG in the original show at a very modest cost compared to the millions or tens of millions it would cost to remaster all the CG at modern, high-quality standards.
However, because the original models and effects are 30 years old, they look like a video game that came out 10 years ago. Here are some bits re-rendered in 1080P with the original live footage and sound effects.
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older