Out of the Blue

I had an experience yesterday that recalls a frustrating story related to my first PC. That happened when I installed an 80286 accelerator card into my 8088-based XT back in the day. This "turbo" XT was capable of running at 8 MHz, and the accelerator would sometimes lock up when it tried to boot into that blistering speed, requiring a reset to get it to properly run at 4.77 MHz. I continued to use this PC for a few years after the upgrade, and when it was time to junk it, I took apart the innards. Only then did I notice the 80286 card had a jumper that would have allowed it to run at 8 MHz. You can imagine my irritation when I realized I was missing out on added performance for years. This brings us to yesterday, when I installed a program tastefully named Blue Stacks that allows PCs to run Android apps. The installer informed me that the program would perform better if I turned on CPU virtualization. So I headed off to my BIOS to enable it. While there I noticed a setting called "Limit CPUID Maximum" that was also turned off. There was an explanation that this should be off for Windows XP, so I turned it on. I was pretty shocked when I booted the machine after those changes and found that this had cleared up an annoying bit of input lag I have experienced since my "upgrade" to Windows 10. I don't think I changed anything else, but it feels like I must have, because what I read about those settings does not seem to explain the performance improvements I've seen. This doesn't seem to be a factor in games, so that's sort of the good news that I haven't been missing out all this time along with the bad news that I'm not getting a free performance upgrade. The other good news is that I discovered this before this PC hit end of life like my 286 card and that I never noticed the lag I'm discussing under Windows 7. This machine is actually over seven years old now(!), but it still handles all the games I play. And now that the bit of lag is gone from my desktop apps I don't have any real reason to upgrade yet. Maybe this outlook will change when Cyberpunk 2077 hits. I'll just have to see.

Performance Enhanced Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Stories

Science

Media

View : : :
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 2, 2020, 13:10
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 13:10
Dec 2, 2020, 13:10

So Mr. Hawk is still around. He chased a bird into the trees today about 10 feet away from me but lost him there as the smaller bird shot through and he had to stop. Yay little bird. So he doesn't seem interested in my squirrels as most of them are way too large but there are couple of younger ones here he could go after and I have two red squirrels in my two big pines he could easily snap up. I'm quite worried about them. They're smart and fast though and are generally always in cover so fingers crossed.

I suspect he's hanging around because there's still at least one rat around so I hope he just gets him and moves on I don't want him hanging around here long term. Fortunately my food places for the critters are in cover where he can't swoop in. I've got the trap out now where I think he is and I'll leave it for a few days for him to acclimate before I bait it. I can't really get a good pic of him because my phone and tablet cameras aren't great and I can't get too close before he flies off. I think however he's either a Cooper hawk or a Goshawk. Maybe someone can tell from the pics.

Squeakers, my red squirrel
Hawk 1
Hawk 2
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Dec 2, 2020, 13:33
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 13:33
Dec 2, 2020, 13:33

Direct link to the NPR Book Concierge.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 2, 2020, 13:36
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 13:36
Dec 2, 2020, 13:36

2020 Best Books: Fantasy And Sci-Fi Recommendations.

I mentioned Gardner Dozois' passing a couple of weeks ago, and I miss his sci-fi anthologies. Does anyone have a good rec for sci fi short story anthologies?
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

No subject
Dec 2, 2020, 14:04
No subject Dec 2, 2020, 14:04
Dec 2, 2020, 14:04

A friend of mine who is a nurse just posted this sobering post:

I was diagnosed and symptomatic with COVID on the 20th of November.

The worst was Thanksgiving when I couldn't maintain an O2 above 92 and that was with taking the deepest breaths I could combined with my inhalers and steroids.

I have been on high dose steroids since I entered quarantine. If you've never been on them let me summarize the special hell they cause a person. Hot flashes that make the skin feel like it's being seared off from the inside. Manic mood changes where one moment things are fine and the next something as simple as a stupid internet meme sets you into a spiral of depression. Munchies coupled with no appetite. You want to eat everything, but are physically incapable because you're just too tired. I've been on and off steroids since my asthma diagnosis, and even knowing that this is par for the course, it is still a nightmare.

My general regimen started as steroids, inhalers (QVAR and albuterol), and Motrin (NSAID). As my symptoms changed I came off the motrin and added in around the clock OTC theraflu. When all of this failed on Thanksgiving I took a last ditch resort with nebulized albuterol and saline. 3 treatments over the course of the day stabalized the worst of the chest tightness and kept my airways open. My initial symptom when all of this started? Feeling like I had sand in my lungs that my regular albuterol inhaler could not correct.

The day after Thanksgiving was another 2 nebulizer treatments and a lot of sleep. Taking a shower was the most I could manage before being exhausted and taking a 3 to 5 hour nap. My life has been punctuated by those naps.

Each subsequent day has been just a little better than the last. At this point Im only on a low dose of the steroids, my primary inhaler, and a nightly dose of theraflu to help me sleep. I am constantly tired and have to prioritize what needs to be done with what energy I have. Self care is first. This is also not my strong suit.

I cannot walk up a flight of stairs without being light headed and ready for another nap. The amount of time it takes to catch my breath is not worth the heaviness in my chest.

This is day 11. I am blessed to have a solid nursing foundation and access to the tools and medications necessary for my comfort and survival. Not everyone else will be that lucky.

Like many others I will have lifelong medical issues due to this infection. I wore PPE. I sanitized religiously. My hospital has some of the best sanitization practices in the US. As you can see it did not matter. I am also blessed to know that I will survive this. Many of my patients did not. Some were old. Some had previous health issues. Most were nether old nor did they have pre-existing conditions. Wear a mask. Wear it properly. Stay home.

The only thing I could add would be to echo her last three sentences. Wear a mask. Wear it properly. Stay home.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Dec 2, 2020, 14:17
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 14:17
Dec 2, 2020, 14:17

Thanks for that post BoP.

My friend who has been symptom-free, or I should say fever-free, and has had two negative tests and qualifies to go back to work by federal guidelines thought that she'd be able to work for a couple hours.
After an hour of basically a sitting job she was wiped out plus she had the covid brain fog. She ended up sleeping all the next day.
She'll try again next month.
You definitely don't want this shit.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., ,
That input lag with CPU ID is weird.
Speaking of weird things, my laptop threw a preboot bios warning that the battery was failing. Now this current battery will still run the laptop for hours, the laptops previous battery would cause this warning and would only last for 15 minutes.
I did the standard troubleshooting: uninstalling the device acpi for the battery, removing the battery for 10 minutes etc. and I still got the preboot error.

So I'm thinking oh great this newest battery is defective.
I looked at new laptops during all the sales and couldn't find anything that really thrilled me.
I'm almost always around a plug and a dead battery is more of a nuisance than anything else.

So today I turned it on and it booted normally with no warnings ... weird Huh
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Dec 2, 2020, 15:38
Tom
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 15:38
Dec 2, 2020, 15:38
Tom

By turning on "Limit CPUID Maximum", you're changing the result of the CPUID instruction which can be used to identify what kind of CPU you have. Basically, you're making it look to software like you have an ancient CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID

It would be wise to turn the setting back off, reproduce the problem, turn the setting back on, and again observe the problem being resolved - before concluding that this setting had any observable effect on anything.

Dec 2, 2020, 16:59
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 16:59
Dec 2, 2020, 16:59

Tom wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 15:38:
By turning on "Limit CPUID Maximum", you're changing the result of the CPUID instruction which can be used to identify what kind of CPU you have. Basically, you're making it look to software like you have an ancient CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID

It would be wise to turn the setting back off, reproduce the problem, turn the setting back on, and again observe the problem being resolved - before concluding that this setting had any observable effect on anything.

You are right... because the tooltip said it was disabled for Windows XP, I assumed it was meant to be enabled for other OSes. Turning it back to disabled does not seem to have undone the improvements I'm seeing, so apparently it was turning virtualization on that is making the difference.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Dec 2, 2020, 17:08
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 17:08
Dec 2, 2020, 17:08

Ahh, the good 'ol 286 processor, back in the day when you upgraded your cpu every 6 months. And here we are today, using our 5 - 10 year old cpus. Funny how times change

Dec 2, 2020, 17:19
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 17:19
Dec 2, 2020, 17:19

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 17:08:
Ahh, the good 'ol 286 processor, back in the day when you upgraded your cpu every 6 months. And here we are today, using our 5 - 10 year old cpus. Funny how times change

I was thinking the exact same thing when I went back and saw I built this machine in September 2013. For this I even used a previous-generation CPU at the time. The fourth-gen Core 2 processors were already out, but I got an i5-3570K. I overclocked it to 4GHz and it's still running like a top seven years later. I definitely upgraded within 6 months at least once back in the day.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Dec 2, 2020, 17:30
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 17:30
Dec 2, 2020, 17:30

Yeah, my Intel 3570K Core i5 is 8.5 years old, and still chugging. I don't really notice any problem with games. I keep meaning to upgrade to a new AMD, but since this one still works fine, I have a hard time justifying it to myself.
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Dec 2, 2020, 17:33
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 17:33
Dec 2, 2020, 17:33

Blue wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 17:19:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I went back and saw I built this machine in September 2013. For this I even used a previous-generation CPU at the time. The fourth-gen Core 2 processors were already out, but I got an i5-3570K. I overclocked it to 4GHz and it's still running like a top seven years later. I definitely upgraded within 6 months at least once back in the day.

Yup, I'm still sportin' an i7 3930k that came out 9 1/2 years ago. The only reason I think it's time for me to upgrade is because everything is starting to get really hot (and I even replaced cpu fan a couple times), my 32GB or mem is now 24GB (one of the channels is not working. Who needs 32GB anyway?), and my music production software is starting to bog down a bit. Otherwise, gaming is still pretty good (with a 1070). Unfortunately, I picked a pretty bad time to build a new rig, considering that it's not easy to find the components that I want. Oh well, I guess I can go another year Grin2

Dec 2, 2020, 17:35
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 17:35
Dec 2, 2020, 17:35

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 14:04:
The only thing I could add would be to echo her last three sentences. Wear a mask. Wear it properly. Stay home.

One of my coworker's friends just passed from COVID. He was an ER doc.

My biggest concern with this virus is that millions of COVID survivors will have ongoing lifelong health issues that cost trillions of dollars that sap our economy and capability at an international level. Our country will decline precipitously simply because half our citizens didn't believe the virus was real.
Your choice is clear.

Dec 2, 2020, 17:41
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 17:41
Dec 2, 2020, 17:41

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 17:30:
Yeah, my Intel 3570K Core i5 is 8.5 years old, and still chugging. I don't really notice any problem with games. I keep meaning to upgrade to a new AMD, but since this one still works fine, I have a hard time justifying it to myself.

Yeah, if it's just gaming and browsing, then gpu and drives is all you really need to swap out here and there. My problem is that I do a lot of audio/video editing, and the software I use is starting to demand more cpu/cores. It will be nice to have a few of those really fast m.2 nvme modules as well. I've got my newegg build list just waiting for restock, but I think I'll be waiting for quite while

Dec 2, 2020, 18:46
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 18:46
Dec 2, 2020, 18:46

I think I mentioned before that the i5 3570k was the go to cpu for it's time.
I wish I'd bought one but i cheapened out and went with the $120 AMD A10-5800K, if memory serves the 3570 was closer to $230.

Dec 2, 2020, 19:13
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 19:13
Dec 2, 2020, 19:13

My father passed on november 26th.
Pneumonia and Covid, 95 years old.
He was very healthy and spry before, lived very well and had a kind wife (no symptoms so far).
Take care all.

Dec 2, 2020, 20:05
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 20:05
Dec 2, 2020, 20:05

WannaLogAlready wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 19:13:
He was very healthy and spry before, lived very well and had a kind wife (no symptoms so far).
Take care all.
I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like he had a good long life. I hope his wife is doing ok and you to.

Dec 2, 2020, 21:24
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 21:24
Dec 2, 2020, 21:24

Take care all.

My condolences. My 90 year old father in-law was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, so I'm right there with you.
Your choice is clear.

Dec 2, 2020, 21:25
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 21:25
Dec 2, 2020, 21:25

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 18:46:
I think I mentioned before that the i5 3570k was the go to cpu for it's time.
I wish I'd bought one but i cheapened out and went with the $120 AMD A10-5800K, if memory serves the 3570 was closer to $230.

IIRC I paid a bit over $200 for it, yeah. That's usually my limit for procs: $200-250.
Your choice is clear.

Dec 2, 2020, 22:30
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2020, 22:30
Dec 2, 2020, 22:30

Take care all.

Sorry for your loss. 95...hell of a good run though.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Dec 3, 2020, 02:57
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2020, 02:57
Dec 3, 2020, 02:57

Let me share my experience with Covid. It's relatively light compared to what was written here but it is still sobering as to how dangerous it can be.

So I play in a a band. We got together for rehearsal about two and a half weeks ago on a Sunday. We were avoiding playing together up until then as there are no gigs to be had during this time, but on Monday we were due in a recording studio to record a new tune and felt we had to practice it some. We played for about an hour and a half, two tops. All of us were healthy no symptoms. The very next day, early in the morning our singer let us know that he developed flu like symptoms with a body temperature of 38.5. We all went into self-isolation just as a precaution. Anyways to cut a long story short, he managed to infect ALL of us. Yes we all got tested. That's 5 other people that were there (4 others in band, 1 producer who was with us for 15 minutes!) All of us developed relatively mild, flu like symptoms except for our other guitarist, who developed early onset pneumonia had pretty high body temperature for two weeks before finally pulling through. He is still bedridden. They wouldn't admit him to a hospital due to being swamped by more serious cases of Covid 19. Gave him some antibiotics and sent him home.

100% infection rate from our singer who we later found out attended a wedding three days prior and didn't let us know. (Where he probably got infected).

Im not saying everyone is that infectious, but apparently there are people out there who are.

So yeah. There it is. Stay safe. For most this is a trivial disease, but why take the chance you end up being one of the few for whom it isn't. Or even worse, infect someone else who ends up having serious complications.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2020, 03:10.
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer