Out of the Blue

The morning after Thanksgiving I found the pan of drippings from MrsBlue's turkey. Turns out she was contemplating a use for them even though she doesn't like gravy. Since I do, and there didn't actually seem to be any other use for them, I whipped up some gravy after the fact. This was after some quick research to determine there was almost no chance these had turned rancid in such a short time. The gravy was easy to make, and made leftover turkey that much more delightful. But the remains of our small bird are now done, and there is still an awful lot of gravy, so now I need to find some creative ways to use it. Or maybe I'll just give up on my waistline altogether and sit down for gravy shooters? Yum!

Obituary: Dave Prowse: Darth Vader actor dies aged 85. Thanks brother19 and RedEye9.

This Round-up is All Gravy
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 1, 2020, 04:45
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2020, 04:45
Dec 1, 2020, 04:45

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 22:44:
Prez wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 18:42:
Kinda depressed tbh. I was supposed to go see my folks in North Jersey, but with the spike in Covid cases we had to cancel. I can't drive since my stroke so I have to depend on my son to drive me, and that's only to rehab and food shopping twice a week. So here I sit, STILL, alone and isolated instead. I know I should feel lucky, as lots of people have it worse, but I kinda just don't.

It's ok to be bitter. Even necessary sometimes. Especially when you see things in the world like a sleazebag criminal like Trump not only gets to be President but gets Covid and doesn't do the world a favor by dying from it. Just because you're not starving in some third world shithole doesn't mean you don't have a right to complain.

I just grabbed a Roku streaming bar for my Sony TV - Chromecast - the other day and it's quite good. There's loads of good specialty channels out there now and they work great with Roku - so much better than Sony's bullshit walled garden Android crap, never buy Sony! I'll be grabbing The Great Courses Plus - why not learn some stuff while you're convalescing? - and Britbox - they have the entire Dr. Who series! - myself for December. And all those channels have free trials. I've also gotten into listening to audio stories on Youtube lately like Sherlock Holmes and Discworld novels, etc. So there's plenty of good stuff out there to keep yourself distracted. Maybe jump back into an MMO or something, find a chill social guild, hang out and chat.

Britbox, when you say they have all the the dr. Who episodes, how far back are we talking about?
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Dec 1, 2020, 04:42
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2020, 04:42
Dec 1, 2020, 04:42

Kinda depressed tbh. I was supposed to go see my folks in North Jersey, but with the spike in Covid cases we had to cancel. I can't drive since my stroke so I have to depend on my son to drive me, and that's only to rehab and food shopping twice a week. So here I sit, STILL, alone and isolated instead. I know I should feel lucky, as lots of people have it worse, but I kinda just don't.

Would Zoom help? Maybe talking to fellow board members here?
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Nov 30, 2020, 23:31
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2020, 23:31
Nov 30, 2020, 23:31

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 18:41:
A friend just called, He had his thyroid removed 10 days ago. He lost his voice and it should come back (other side effects of the surgery include issues breathing and trouble swallowing, but luckily he didn't have any of those).

I had that happen to my voice after surgery. I was in a car wreck and air lifted to an ER for emergency surgery. I have spotty bits of memory talking to paramedics right after the accident and doctors before going into surgery and my voice was normal, but after waking from surgery I couldn't talk at all. I know the airy whisper you're talking about, it's barely even a whisper, just about as loud as a sigh. A friend was dating an ER nurse at the time and she said that happens some times when they're shoving the breathing tube in your throat and it knicks the vocal chords. It's usually temporary, but sometimes can lead to permanent damage. It took almost a year before I began to get anything back, and it was about 2 years before I was talking "normal." Still to this day my voice isn't completely normal. If I talk loud or yell, like when in a crowded place, my voice starts to fade quick, and takes a few days to recover.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Nov 29, 2020, 22:44
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 22:44
Nov 29, 2020, 22:44
 Cutter

It's ok to be bitter. Even necessary sometimes. Especially when you see things in the world like a sleazebag criminal like Trump not only gets to be President but gets Covid and doesn't do the world a favor by dying from it. Just because you're not starving in some third world shithole doesn't mean you don't have a right to complain.

I just grabbed a Roku streaming bar for my Sony TV - Chromecast - the other day and it's quite good. There's loads of good specialty channels out there now and they work great with Roku - so much better than Sony's bullshit walled garden Android crap, never buy Sony! I'll be grabbing The Great Courses Plus - why not learn some stuff while you're convalescing? - and Britbox - they have the entire Dr. Who series! - myself for December. And all those channels have free trials. I've also gotten into listening to audio stories on Youtube lately like Sherlock Holmes and Discworld novels, etc. So there's plenty of good stuff out there to keep yourself distracted. Maybe jump back into an MMO or something, find a chill social guild, hang out and chat.

"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Nov 29, 2020, 22:04
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 22:04
Nov 29, 2020, 22:04

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 21:00:
You'll never beat us! We're not at the top yet, but we will be soon! First we all crowded together to travel and celebrate Thanksgiving! Then we'll do the same for Christmas! We have infections and deaths in the bag, baby!
Wow, didn't realize we were that far down the list. Only 14th in fatality rates and 8th in deaths per 100k population. We are slacking! Come on America you can't let us down, get out there get infected and start dying!
yes, I am being unreasonably sarcastic
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 29, 2020, 21:00
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 21:00
Nov 29, 2020, 21:00

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 19:47:
Sad for those that suffer being confined, hang on, vaccines in sight.
I love being alone, as does my daugther -lives in my other apartment-, so all this quarantine (in Argentina some 8 months) hasn't changed anything much except for available food and health precautions.
My father, 95 years old, is in a hospital 1000 kms away, with covid or so they tell me, can't speak with him.
His second wife, 92, has no symptoms, or at least yet.
Can't risk travelling now.
Country went in 3 months from having one of the better covid containment records, to the 6th world position in deaths by million, courtesy of a totally inept populist Peronist government.
And after the Maradona wake and burial 1.000.000 crowd piled and crushed together sh1tshow, we are stampeding to 1st position.

You'll never beat us! We're not at the top yet, but we will be soon! First we all crowded together to travel and celebrate Thanksgiving! Then we'll do the same for Christmas! We have infections and deaths in the bag, baby!
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Nov 29, 2020, 19:47
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 19:47
Nov 29, 2020, 19:47

Sad for those that suffer being confined, hang on, vaccines in sight.
I love being alone, as does my daugther -lives in my other apartment-, so all this quarantine (in Argentina some 8 months) hasn't changed anything much except for available food and health precautions.
My father, 95 years old, is in a hospital 1000 kms away, with covid or so they tell me, can't speak with him.
His second wife, 92, has no symptoms, or at least yet.
Can't risk travelling now.
Country went in 3 months from having one of the better covid containment records, to the 6th world position in deaths by million, courtesy of a totally inept populist Peronist government.
And after the Maradona wake and burial 1.000.000 crowd piled and crushed together sh1tshow, we are stampeding to 1st position.

Nov 29, 2020, 19:18
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 19:18
Nov 29, 2020, 19:18

You get to interact in person with someone you know personally twice a week? Beats the hell out what I get. The best I manage is to talk on the phone with a sister a couple of times a week. Even when I go to the grocery store I usually do self check out, so I don't even get a brief interaction with a cashier. Hang in there Prez, it might be tough to imagine, but it could be worse.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 29, 2020, 19:06
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 19:06
Nov 29, 2020, 19:06

Hang in there Prez
This is a total shit time for everyone.
The holidays get me down but I can't imagine adding medical issues on top combined with covid isolation.

The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice
William O. Douglas

Nov 29, 2020, 18:42
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 18:42
Nov 29, 2020, 18:42
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2020, 18:41
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 18:41
Nov 29, 2020, 18:41

Holy Shit
A friend just called, He had his thyroid removed 10 days ago. He lost his voice and it should come back (other side effects of the surgery include issues breathing and trouble swallowing, but luckily he didn't have any of those).
He talks with an airy whisper.
Dentist noticed a lump in his neck.
Good news is most thyroid cancers are self-contained and don't require chemotherapy or radiation.
The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
William O. Douglas

Nov 29, 2020, 18:29
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 18:29
Nov 29, 2020, 18:29
 Cutter

So there were no Neanderthal Fonzies than?

Man, the TW, what a collection of immense talent in one band.
"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Obituary: Dave Prowse: Darth Vader actor dies aged 85. Thanks brother19 and RedEye9.
Nov 29, 2020, 16:05
Obituary: Dave Prowse: Darth Vader actor dies aged 85. Thanks brother19 and RedEye9. Nov 29, 2020, 16:05
Nov 29, 2020, 16:05

Sad news.
I just watched some footage of him yesterday.

Nov 29, 2020, 12:54
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 12:54
Nov 29, 2020, 12:54

scotch and gravy ... lololol
The Traveling Wilburys 'making of' rocked.
William O. Douglas

Nov 29, 2020, 12:48
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 12:48
Nov 29, 2020, 12:48

and there is still an awful lot of gravy, so now I need to find some creative ways to use it
Make 'em into ice cubes. You can defrost them later, and bam gravy. At worst it's a happy memory next year when you find them in the back of the freezer and throw them out.

The real solution is using the ice cubes for the "Blue Drinks Stuff" youtube channel, where you add them to 75 year-old scotch and drink then cut-away to British people saying "Good Heavens!". Eventually, that'll get optioned by MTV.
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older