Out of the Blue

We conducted a little shopping expedition earlier today, as MrsBlue had a couple of BJs coupons she wanted to use. I was quite dubious about braving Black Friday-type crowding, as we've found that store overrun on more normal occasions. But she promised we could turn back if the parking lot seemed too full. Much to my surprise, there were actually very few shoppers there, and we were able to hit-and-run with no difficulty. This supports the reports I've seen that most of the post Thanksgiving shopping is happening online, but I wouldn't have imagined it would be so sparse.

Obituary: Tony Hsieh, iconic Las Vegas tech entrepreneur, dies aged 46. Thanks RedEye9.

Uncrowded Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Nov 29, 2020, 12:00
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 12:00
Nov 29, 2020, 12:00
 Cutter

That's a shame about Tony, apparently he was quite a good man.

And good on Cher and co. for that.
"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Nov 29, 2020, 11:56
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 11:56
Nov 29, 2020, 11:56
 Cutter

Greentiger wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 08:54:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 18:41:
"as MrsBlue had a couple of BJs coupons she wanted to use"

I hope she shared some of those coupons with you. BJs are the best!

I'm talking about the stores. What are *you* talking about?

I wasnt going to say anything but I had a very similar thought. I have never heard of a "BJ's" store before. My wife had to tell me (I grew up in the midwest, never came across one). I was ... confused for a second.

Me neither. I was going to say it probably named in a more innocent time when you could call a store that and people wouldn't snicker automatically. Turns out it was founded in 1984 so not really. From the wiki....

"The company was started by discount department store chain Zayre in 1984, on the Medford/Malden border in Massachusetts. The company's name was derived from the initials of Beverly Jean Weich, the daughter of Mervyn Weich, the president of the new company."
"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Nov 29, 2020, 09:59
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 09:59
Nov 29, 2020, 09:59

Now that we're practically touching the black hole "Sagittarius A* " it will only be a matter of moments before we start harvesting energy from her. I'm guessing that it is appropriate to refer to our new source of energy in the feminine.
The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice
William O. Douglas

Re: Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think.
Nov 29, 2020, 09:19
Re: Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think. Nov 29, 2020, 09:19
Nov 29, 2020, 09:19

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 02:57:
Really? Okay. The "with gravity and magnetism" part is extra information, it can be removed without changing the meaning of the statement, which is "black holes can be safely manipulated." So black holes are the subject, for that verb as well as every other part of that rather large sentence (referred to with their and them).

Using gravity to affect something doesn't mean you're "manipulating gravity" in the colloquial sense, to directly control or change that force and how it functions. Rather, you'd be harnessing it (figuratively) and employing it to do work for you, like with hydro-electric dams or satellites. Or even pre-historic man realizing his spear/arrow hits a little harder when it's moving downward. They don't go into details on how exactly they would go about manipulating the black hole -- this article is just an advertisement for a book and they don't want to spoil much -- but it's not hard to imagine some possibilities. Yeah, of course we'd have to reach one first, but theory is what a physicist does for a living.
Okay, you are right about the "use" of gravity via dams and satellites. And I understand what you are trying to say about doing something similar with respect to black holes. However, assuming that's what she meant, I still don't think that's what she said. At the very least, she said it poorly. Which seems to happen far too often in articles written by scientists...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 29, 2020, 08:54
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 08:54
Nov 29, 2020, 08:54

I wasnt going to say anything but I had a very similar thought. I have never heard of a "BJ's" store before. My wife had to tell me (I grew up in the midwest, never came across one). I was ... confused for a second.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Nov 29, 2020, 02:57
Re: Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think. Nov 29, 2020, 02:57
Nov 29, 2020, 02:57

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 16:45:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 16:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 15:00:
Yeah, she is trying to be engaging and failing.
Despite their fearsome reputation, black holes can be safely manipulated with gravity and magnetism, and it might even be possible to draw power from them, though doing so won’t be practical any time soon.
I beg your pardon? And how exactly do you propose to "manipulate" gravity? You forgot to mention how we can build worm hole tunnels to allow nearly instantaneous interstellar travel...
'Gravity' is not the subject of that verb in that sentence. And you're overthinking it if your mind jumps to a hand-held device straight out of video games... Place any significant mass precisely where you want it in space and its force of gravity will act on surrounding objects. Just as the moon's gravity manipulates our oceans.
It isn't? You'll need to explain why, I mean it seems straight forward to me. And whatever she meant, interstellar travel via worm holes is certainly no more radical than suggesting we are going to use black holes for power generation...

Really? Okay. The "with gravity and magnetism" part is extra information, it can be removed without changing the meaning of the statement, which is "black holes can be safely manipulated." So black holes are the subject, for that verb as well as every other part of that rather large sentence (referred to with their and them).

Using gravity to affect something doesn't mean you're "manipulating gravity" in the colloquial sense, to directly control or change that force and how it functions. Rather, you'd be harnessing it (figuratively) and employing it to do work for you, like with hydro-electric dams or satellites. Or even pre-historic man realizing his spear/arrow hits a little harder when it's moving downward. They don't go into details on how exactly they would go about manipulating the black hole -- this article is just an advertisement for a book and they don't want to spoil much -- but it's not hard to imagine some possibilities. Yeah, of course we'd have to reach one first, but theory is what a physicist does for a living.

Nov 29, 2020, 01:09
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 01:09
Nov 29, 2020, 01:09

Hey Blue,

I know it's your site and everything but what's with all the Opinion pieces like Happiness won't save you, or Black Holes Aren't as bad as you think?

As someone who has been dealing with addiction before this COVID crap happened and was one of the many people hit by the isolation of it all, I got to spend Thanksgiving with members of my family for the first time in 34 years (last one was the one before my dad died). And the fact that my family moved from California to Kentucky (where I live) and was just 5 hours away was the best thing I had to look forward to besides Cyberpunk 2077. And the last few months I had REALLY been pushing myself to the edge of a OD because of the isolation and depression and since I helped them move in 2 months ago and having Thanksgiving with them for the first time in forever changed that. I GOT A TO GO CUP OF HOMEMADE GRAVY! I can't even cook toast right, so awesome food and family was honestly some sort of divine intervention to get my through all the shit of this year. BTW.. they had a smoker and smoked HAM AND TURKEY (never had it before) and it was amazing. So if there is a way to get invited to Manstovia *hint hint nudge nudge* I will gladly buy a ticket!

And for Black Holes Aren't as bad as you think is quite a bit of opinion “People think of black holes as dense objects, and they get caught up in the ‘monster truck’ aspect, that they destroy things,” Levin says in Episode 442 of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast. “And I think that it detracts from some of the more eerie and austere and gorgeous aspects of this very strange phenomenon.” I wanted to be a Astronaut since I was 12 (sadly this thing called MATH sorta destroyed that), and I love space science but when ya wish you could power New York City with a Black Hole?

Nov 29, 2020, 00:31
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 00:31
Nov 29, 2020, 00:31

Seriously. I mean, I'm not sure I understand the parking lot innuendo, and going out to get your BJ's surrounded by the general public isn't really my thing but to each, their own, I guess.

Nov 28, 2020, 18:41
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2020, 18:41
Nov 28, 2020, 18:41

"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Nov 28, 2020, 16:45
Re: Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think. Nov 28, 2020, 16:45
Nov 28, 2020, 16:45

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 16:37:
Despite their fearsome reputation, black holes can be safely manipulated with gravity and magnetism, and it might even be possible to draw power from them, though doing so won’t be practical any time soon.
I beg your pardon? And how exactly do you propose to "manipulate" gravity? You forgot to mention how we can build worm hole tunnels to allow nearly instantaneous interstellar travel...
'Gravity' is not the subject of that verb in that sentence. And you're overthinking it if your mind jumps to a hand-held device straight out of video games... Place any significant mass precisely where you want it in space and its force of gravity will act on surrounding objects. Just as the moon's gravity manipulates our oceans.
It isn't? You'll need to explain why, I mean it seems straight forward to me. And whatever she meant, interstellar travel via worm holes is certainly no more radical than suggesting we are going to use black holes for power generation...

Nov 28, 2020, 16:37
Re: Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think. Nov 28, 2020, 16:37
Nov 28, 2020, 16:37

Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think
Nov 28, 2020, 15:31
Jim
Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think Nov 28, 2020, 15:31
Nov 28, 2020, 15:31
Jim

Yeah, no.

Spaghettification
In astrophysics, spaghettification (sometimes referred to as the noodle effect) is the vertical stretching and horizontal compression of objects into long thin shapes (rather like spaghetti) in a very strong non-homogeneous gravitational field; it is caused by extreme tidal forces. In the most extreme cases, near black holes, the stretching is so powerful that no object can withstand it, no matter how strong its components. Within a small region the horizontal compression balances the vertical stretching so that small objects being spaghettified experience no net change in volume.

Nov 28, 2020, 15:15
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2020, 15:15
Nov 28, 2020, 15:15

Hsieh's death is strange.
The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice
William O. Douglas

Nov 28, 2020, 15:00
Re: Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think. Nov 28, 2020, 15:00
Nov 28, 2020, 15:00

Nov 28, 2020, 14:40
Re: Black Holes Aren’t As Bad As You Think. Nov 28, 2020, 14:40
Nov 28, 2020, 14:40

Yes, yes they are...

“People think of black holes as dense objects, and they get caught up in the ‘monster truck’ aspect, that they destroy things,” Levin says in Episode 442 of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast. “And I think that it detracts from some of the more eerie and austere and gorgeous aspects of this very strange phenomenon.”

She must have just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail... "Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who..."
What's a little destruction matter, they look cool, eh?
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older