Beamer

Would you like to know more?

Re: Black Friday Metaverse
Nov 30, 2020, 11:21
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 30, 2020, 11:21
Nov 30, 2020, 11:21

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2020, 11:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 18:02:
TikTok is the right place for you to perform your little gatekeeping citizen dance.

The rest of us will do what's necessary to protect you from yourself.

It's rare I fully 100% agree with ya mate, but let it enter the records that I do. Have a hug from a safe distance
1 out of 99 times even i get something right. The law of averages are on my side.
Wink

Here's an elbow bump back at ya.
The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice
William O. Douglas

Nov 30, 2020, 11:06
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 30, 2020, 11:06
Nov 30, 2020, 11:06

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 18:02:
TikTok is the right place for you to perform your little gatekeeping citizen dance.

It's rare I fully 100% agree with ya mate, but let it enter the records that I do. Have a hug from a safe distance

Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead.
Nov 29, 2020, 18:14
Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 29, 2020, 18:14
Nov 29, 2020, 18:14

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 17:51:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 13:36:
Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 12:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 11:40:
Let me see if I have this right... You believe "Having the freedom to choose whether we'd like to wear a mask or not is more important to us than the chance we'll die." But you then turn around and criticize others by saying, "Because you are so weak and selfish, so pampered and self-absorbed, you can't imagine anything more important than your own life." Got it. Rolleyes
Correct. The fact you can't understand the rationale that makes both obvious says far more about you than me...
I do understand the rationale you are putting forward, I simply dismiss it as "obviously" without any merit. You believe your right to not wear a mask is more important than your responsibility to the rest of your community to NOT spread a dangerous virus. This is the thinking which has made the US the country with more infections and more deaths than any other nation in the world. I can hear you from here chanting, "We're #1! We're #1!".
It's the sentiment that makes me a citizen, and you a subject. Those who fought the Stasi understand. May your chains rest lightly.
Your right to infect others makes you a citizen? With citizens like that, who needs enemies? Oh, and for the record I am a veteran -- 7 years, 3 months, and 10 days in the USAF.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 29, 2020, 18:02
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2020, 18:02
Nov 29, 2020, 18:02

The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
William O. Douglas

Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead.
Nov 29, 2020, 17:51
Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 29, 2020, 17:51
Nov 29, 2020, 17:51

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 13:36:
Let me see if I have this right... You believe "Having the freedom to choose whether we'd like to wear a mask or not is more important to us than the chance we'll die." But you then turn around and criticize others by saying, "Because you are so weak and selfish, so pampered and self-absorbed, you can't imagine anything more important than your own life." Got it. Rolleyes
Correct. The fact you can't understand the rationale that makes both obvious says far more about you than me...
I do understand the rationale you are putting forward, I simply dismiss it as "obviously" without any merit. You believe your right to not wear a mask is more important than your responsibility to the rest of your community to NOT spread a dangerous virus. This is the thinking which has made the US the country with more infections and more deaths than any other nation in the world. I can hear you from here chanting, "We're #1! We're #1!".

It's the sentiment that makes me a citizen, and you a subject. Those who fought the Stasi understand. May your chains rest lightly.

Nov 29, 2020, 13:36
Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 29, 2020, 13:36
Nov 29, 2020, 13:36

Nov 29, 2020, 13:11
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2020, 13:11
Nov 29, 2020, 13:11

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 11:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 08:41:
Lockdowns and masks don't infringe upon your rights.
You aren't qualified to make that assertion.
You're right.
I'm overqualified. Allthumbsup
William O. Douglas

Nov 29, 2020, 12:57
Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 29, 2020, 12:57
Nov 29, 2020, 12:57

Nov 29, 2020, 11:40
Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 29, 2020, 11:40
Nov 29, 2020, 11:40

Nov 29, 2020, 11:30
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2020, 11:30

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 08:41:
You aren't qualified to make that assertion.

Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 29, 2020, 11:30

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2020, 00:41:
Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 14:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2020, 20:10:
If that were only true .. on my local regional TV station in Germany (RBB) they brought a documentary just yesterday about the eastern German freedom fighters from my HOME REGION that brought the wall down with their actions and activities against the STASI, ALL OF THEM (not a joke, ALL) are Covidiots now. I even knew some of them, I had talked to them years ago in school, as examples on how to fight oppression by the STASI. And they ALL think that wearing a mask is fascist akin to STASI regime.. I mean.. WTF?. If I were to meet them now, I'd punch them.

As if wearing a mask is any different than wearing pants.
So, men and women who have done more for western society and liberty than anyone on this board, at greater risk to themselves, disagree with you about what freedom means... and it never crosses your mind that they might understand something more clearly than you do? That perhaps they might have a different set of priorities? That death is less important to them (since they've already risked that for freedom) than the ability to choose for themselves? Talk about unintentionally proving a point about internet idiots...

Sorry, thinking covid is just the flu isn't understanding anything. It's trying to get our parents killed.

This isn't a difference of opinion, it's not believing basic facts

These are "our parents." And nobody said "it's just the flu" (but we both know that strawmen are your only arguments). What they say is, "Having the freedom to choose whether we'd like to wear a mask or not is more important to us than the chance we'll die." And that is a matter of opinion.

This is why the present few generations have squandered the freedoms they have inherited. Because you are so weak and selfish, so pampered and self-absorbed, you can't imagine anything more important than your own life. And so you'll willingly give up everything that makes life worth living in order to extend your time on this earth by a few measly moments. There is a difference between intelligence and wisdom, and you (our last few generations) have been found wanting...

Nov 29, 2020, 08:41
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2020, 08:41
Nov 29, 2020, 08:41

William O. Douglas

Nov 29, 2020, 00:41
Beamer

Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 29, 2020, 00:41
Nov 29, 2020, 00:41
 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 14:25:
If that were only true .. on my local regional TV station in Germany (RBB) they brought a documentary just yesterday about the eastern German freedom fighters from my HOME REGION that brought the wall down with their actions and activities against the STASI, ALL OF THEM (not a joke, ALL) are Covidiots now. I even knew some of them, I had talked to them years ago in school, as examples on how to fight oppression by the STASI. And they ALL think that wearing a mask is fascist akin to STASI regime.. I mean.. WTF?. If I were to meet them now, I'd punch them.

So, men and women who have done more for western society and liberty than anyone on this board, at greater risk to themselves, disagree with you about what freedom means... and it never crosses your mind that they might understand something more clearly than you do? That perhaps they might have a different set of priorities? That death is less important to them (since they've already risked that for freedom) than the ability to choose for themselves? Talk about unintentionally proving a point about internet idiots...

Sorry, thinking covid is just the flu isn't understanding anything. It's trying to get our parents killed.

This isn't a difference of opinion, it's not believing basic facts

Nov 28, 2020, 14:25
Re: Our parents warned us the internet would break our brains. It broke theirs instead. Nov 28, 2020, 14:25
Nov 28, 2020, 14:25

Nov 28, 2020, 11:36
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 28, 2020, 11:36
Nov 28, 2020, 11:36

I don't know that it has anything to do with physiology per se. I think it has a lot more to do with cultural/social influences with a dash of psychology thrown in. I don't necessarily mean psychological manipulation, but simply the nature of the way humans think. We are, for the most part, social creatures -- and it heavily influences our thinking.

Nov 28, 2020, 11:15
Cutter

Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 28, 2020, 11:15
Nov 28, 2020, 11:15
 Cutter

It's not just education, it's actual physiology. There are literal differences in the brain structures and how information is processed by human beings, which is why the world more or less comes down to 1/3rd left, 1/3rd right, 1/3rd center. People on the right lean toward fear, paranoia, anger and suspicion much more readily than the other two types. And all are pretty gullible when the belief leans more toward their world view. It explains why things like the Inquisition and Witch Burnings can occur so easily and repeatedly. And we all tend to rationalize things to support our views. The universe and nature itself is completely amoral and indifferent.
"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Nov 28, 2020, 09:47
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 28, 2020, 09:47
Nov 28, 2020, 09:47

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 09:32:
If there is no way to catch them and drag them screaming back into reality then humanity as a species has a problem. As I said before, I never had something like this come this close into my personal sphere.
Yep, we have a problem. In fact, it is the largest problem facing humanity. It is behind nearly every single issue we are facing. There are pockets of sanity here and there, and it is possible to exclude these people from your social group -- but I don't see us being free of their influence any time soon. And yes, a large portion of it is caused by willful ignorance.

Nov 28, 2020, 09:32
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 28, 2020, 09:32
Nov 28, 2020, 09:32

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 09:23:
I have to agree with Tact on this. Absolute idiots have been in abundance since the dawn of humanity.

I have found that this typically boils down to a single fact. They become so invested in an idea, or ideology, that they cannot divorce themselves from it because it means a significant loss of time, effort, energy, and sometimes social groups and money, It's the sunk cost fallacy.

What has made the amount of them visible is the internet, as has been said before, along with global news coverage. It is now easier than ever to get news from around the world than at any other time in history.

If there is no way to catch them and drag them screaming back into reality then humanity as a species has a problem. As I said before, I never had something like this come this close into my personal sphere. We have heated debates about politics, heck none of my friends vote the same as each other or have same opinions, that's the joy of it. But being a covidiot, a Karen or a flath-earther is not an opinion. That is the willful choice to ignore literal visible reality in front of them. Is that really something that was always there? And we just never had a real big trigger for it where I live? Because my goodness is that a scary AF thought.

Nov 28, 2020, 09:23
Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 28, 2020, 09:23
Nov 28, 2020, 09:23

I have to agree with Tact on this. Absolute idiots have been in abundance since the dawn of humanity.

I have found that this typically boils down to a single fact. They become so invested in an idea, or ideology, that they cannot divorce themselves from it because it means a significant loss of time, effort, energy, and sometimes social groups and money, It's the sunk cost fallacy.

What has made the amount of them visible is the internet, as has been said before, along with global news coverage. It is now easier than ever to get news from around the world than at any other time in history.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older