Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later

This exchange on Twitter explains the lack of AMD specs under the ray tracing section in the updated Cyberpunk 2077 system requirements released yesterday (thanks Wccftech). Here's the response from CD PROJEKT RED to a question about ray tracing specs for the new AMD graphics cards:
Not for the release but we are working together with AMD to introduce this feature as soon as we can.
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later
Nov 23, 2020, 09:33
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 23, 2020, 09:33
Nov 23, 2020, 09:33

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 23, 2020, 00:08:
AFAIK, the main goal with Version 3.0 is to make it a global setting at the driver level, which would mean game-ready drivers to enable it on a title-by-title basis aren't required, and you'd be able to use it for anything, even older and/or obscure releases.
And if I remember correctly, DLSS 3.0 will also supposedly work with any video card that supports TAA, meaning a 2000 or 3000 RTX card is no longer necessary.

Nov 23, 2020, 00:08
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 23, 2020, 00:08
Nov 23, 2020, 00:08

El Pit wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 15:26:
I hope I live to see the day Nvidia will be offering DLSS @ 1440p. Hopefully it can and will be done.

Such limitations were only a problem with the first version of DLSS, since they were choosing specific configurations of GPU and resolution to do the optimization for, and it differed with each game. I.e. Metro Exodus and Battlefield V let you use DLSS at 1440p, but only if ray-tracing was enabled. Or you could use DLSS even at 1080p with ray-tracing on the lower-tier cards (2060, 2070), but not the 2080s because they don't need the help running that res.

Version 2.0 came early this year with games like Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Control, which do not have those restrictions because their AI system no longer requires such specific training. You can choose any display resolution you want with any GPU (2000 series on) and the DLSS does its thing, taking as little as 1/2 or 1/4 the rendered pixels and upscaling from there. AFAIK, the main goal with Version 3.0 is to make it a global setting at the driver level, which would mean game-ready drivers to enable it on a title-by-title basis aren't required, and you'd be able to use it for anything, even older and/or obscure releases.

Nov 22, 2020, 18:42
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 18:42
Nov 22, 2020, 18:42

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 18:24:
^Agree. The implementation does play a big factor in all of these features.

DLSS is in any version of MH by the way.
Yeah I need to do some testing with Death Strand, I also have Wolf Youngblood that game ran great either way.
Control I can get my hands on through my dads account to try out.
I do/need to make a couple hours and do a good personal DLSS test.

As for CP2077, I haven't been blown away by the GFX at this time, but getting the actual game will be the tell tale.

Ah didn't know that they added DLSS to vanilla MH. I'm tempted to reinstall it to try it out but that's a hefty download just to test out DLSS.

I've been blown away by CP2077's visuals, but in a more "noticing subtle things that have bugged me in games" sort of way. I've really liked how the various faces naturally animated and how almost photo-realistic some NPCs were when they were talking to V. While not perfect, the Joli lip-syncing tech is also pretty impressive for an open-world game where you'll be talking to hundreds of NPCs and the CDPR devs didn't have to hand-animate every single dialog.

[Edit: Caved in and reinstalled Monster Hunter: World. According to forum people, the game uses DLSS 1.0 and not 2.0 which is apparently what people want added to the game due to how blurry DLSS 1.0 is.]

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2020, 19:13.

Nov 22, 2020, 18:24
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 18:24
Nov 22, 2020, 18:24

^Agree. The implementation does play a big factor in all of these features.

DLSS is in any version of MH by the way.
Yeah I need to do some testing with Death Strand, I also have Wolf Youngblood that game ran great either way.
Control I can get my hands on through my dads account to try out.
I do/need to make a couple hours and do a good personal DLSS test.

As for CP2077, I haven't been blown away by the GFX at this time, but getting the actual game will be the tell tale.

Nov 22, 2020, 17:35
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 17:35
Nov 22, 2020, 17:35

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 15:47:
OpticNerve wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 15:30:

I completely agree. Don't discount how important DLSS can be if it's properly implemented (ie. Death Stranding). Not just from a performance standpoint but also as a form of lightweight anti-ailising. Right now a lot of games are using TAA as their default/only form of AA but the side effect is that it smudges and blurs textures and they often have to compensate by adding a form of sharpening filter. This is very apparent in games such as Red Dead Redemption 2 for the PC where there's a noticeable texture quality difference between turning on TAA compared to using SMAA (or turning off AA). Afaik, DLSS doesn't have this issue since it's a form of AI-powered upscaling/anti-ailising.

Here's a good example of the differences between TAA and DLSS from a 3DMark demo. The differences are especially apparent when the video pauses to compare the two and details pop out a lot more in DLSS mode compared to TAA mode: https://youtu.be/9ypswjQxgDc

In Monster Hunter it has DLSS and TAA with Sharpness Adjust. I feel I get a bit noticeable quality improvement in TAA vs DLSS. TAA you just need a sharpness adjust from somewhere (in game, nvdia game fx, reshade) to remove the blurriness.

I think that it ultimately depends on the method that the devs implement DLSS, TAA and even the method of their TAA Sharpness filter. To my eyes (and monitor), Red Dead Redemption 2's version of TAA was pretty awful and their TAA sharpness filter/slider added a filtered, artificial look to the textures that still looked smudged when you zoom in close to character/NPC faces and clothes. On the other hand, for TAA + Sharpness, I think that Division 2 did that particularly well and the textures seemed sharp and crisp with TAA/Sharpness turned on.

I haven't bought Monster Hunter's expansion so I don't know how well their DLSS implementation is, but Death Stranding's version of DLSS was excellent and I think that's the high standard when it comes to how things should be if you add in DLSS to a PC game. I've heard that Control is also a good example of DLSS but don't have that game to test out. Most likely CP2077 will have a TAA + Sharpness option since that combination has been very popular in games lately due to the light performance hit when using TAA. I think that for a game like Cyberpunk 2077 where you often talk to NPCs and have their faces right up to yours, having the best form of AA that doesn't blur the textures will be important for visual fidelity so unless their version of DLSS sucks, I'll most likely be using that.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2020, 17:52.

Nov 22, 2020, 16:55
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 16:55
Nov 22, 2020, 16:55

1badmf wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 16:32:
i believe they do, but their video hardware is based on a gimped version of big navi so it'll be even worse than what we get on PC.

edit: in reply to Helf's question. how do you delete a comment around here now?!?
I don't think you could ever delete a comment.
But you can edit it and replace the text with "deleted" etc.
The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Nov 22, 2020, 16:32
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 16:32
Nov 22, 2020, 16:32

i believe they do, but their video hardware is based on a gimped version of big navi so it'll be even worse than what we get on PC.

edit: in reply to Helf's question. how do you delete a comment around here now?!?

Nov 22, 2020, 16:22
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 16:22
Nov 22, 2020, 16:22

I'm going for a 6800XT--when I can get one, that is...;) I'm patient. The RT aspect of this game is not something I care about. The thing is, whereas I am all over CDPR for Geralt and an RPG like Witcher 3--love it--still play it!--what I've seen of CP 2077 has yet to inspire me. It actually has yet to even turn me on in any way. The color-scheme throughout is about the gaudiest I've ever seen in a game--well, I don't like Borderlands, etc., either. But mainly I don't like the general sleaziness of the NPCs and I absolutely despise rap music in all of its horrid forms...! I also don't care for the casual disregard for the consequences for gun play--but if other things were different I could put up with it, maybe. How about a vision of the future that doesn't come out of a dumpster? It would help if CDPR would offer an alternative sound track sans rap music! If this is a vision of our future then I'm delighted to say I know I will not be here to experience it...;) This game is going to have change in some fundamental ways before I will buy it, I'm afraid.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Nov 22, 2020, 15:48
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 15:48
Nov 22, 2020, 15:48

PropheT wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 14:53:
1badmf wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 06:17:
if ray tracing is the goal then stay away from AMD this gen. this is their first attempt at raytracing hardware and it shows. in benchmarks that i've seen it 2x to 3x slower than comparable nvidia. if you can live without RT then AMD is a good deal - $50ish bux cheaper like for like for comparable performance. might be a driver thing, but i doubt a driver fix could improve performance by 100 to 200%

It's not just raytracing, though, there's also DLSS. Once DLSS is involved, Nvidia's cards are getting close to double the framerates of comparable AMD cards right now, too. So it's not just RTX with Cyberpunk; it's also the performance increases of DLSS, and if things hold out to be the same for the game as they have for other titles that were tested the performance difference between AMD and Nvidia is gigantic in Nvidia's favor.

AMD's a solid competitor with no raytracing and no DLSS. But RT is getting more common, and DLSS isn't rare with big titles, either.

Currently with my system an old i7 and 2060 I get a little boost with DLSS and a little less picture quality. I'm interested if older CPU/MB/Memory is the reason why I'm not seeing large DLSS improvements.

That's one of the things I notice in motion DLSS is a slight step down, yes when you stop it sharpens a bit more. But in a lot of game the motion look I feel is more important. Really need to take some time and play with the current games I have on and off to really get a consensus.

Nov 22, 2020, 15:47
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 15:47
Nov 22, 2020, 15:47

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 15:30:

I completely agree. Don't discount how important DLSS can be if it's properly implemented (ie. Death Stranding). Not just from a performance standpoint but also as a form of lightweight anti-ailising. Right now a lot of games are using TAA as their default/only form of AA but the side effect is that it smudges and blurs textures and they often have to compensate by adding a form of sharpening filter. This is very apparent in games such as Red Dead Redemption 2 for the PC where there's a noticeable texture quality difference between turning on TAA compared to using SMAA (or turning off AA). Afaik, DLSS doesn't have this issue since it's a form of AI-powered upscaling/anti-ailising.

Here's a good example of the differences between TAA and DLSS from a 3DMark demo. The differences are especially apparent when the video pauses to compare the two and details pop out a lot more in DLSS mode compared to TAA mode: https://youtu.be/9ypswjQxgDc

In Monster Hunter it has DLSS and TAA with Sharpness Adjust. I feel I get a bit noticeable quality improvement in TAA vs DLSS. TAA you just need a sharpness adjust from somewhere (in game, nvdia game fx, reshade) to remove the blurriness.

Nov 22, 2020, 15:30
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 15:30
Nov 22, 2020, 15:30

PropheT wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 14:53:
if ray tracing is the goal then stay away from AMD this gen. this is their first attempt at raytracing hardware and it shows. in benchmarks that i've seen it 2x to 3x slower than comparable nvidia. if you can live without RT then AMD is a good deal - $50ish bux cheaper like for like for comparable performance. might be a driver thing, but i doubt a driver fix could improve performance by 100 to 200%

It's not just raytracing, though, there's also DLSS. Once DLSS is involved, Nvidia's cards are getting close to double the framerates of comparable AMD cards right now, too. So it's not just RTX with Cyberpunk; it's also the performance increases of DLSS, and if things hold out to be the same for the game as they have for other titles that were tested the performance difference between AMD and Nvidia is gigantic in Nvidia's favor.

AMD's a solid competitor with no raytracing and no DLSS. But RT is getting more common, and DLSS isn't rare with big titles, either.

Nov 22, 2020, 15:26
El Pit

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 15:26
Nov 22, 2020, 15:26
 El Pit

I hope I live to see the day Nvidia will be offering DLSS @ 1440p. Hopefully it can and will be done.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Nov 22, 2020, 14:53
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 14:53
Nov 22, 2020, 14:53

Nov 22, 2020, 11:29
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 11:29
Nov 22, 2020, 11:29

I've had both brands (although not AMD recently). As for recent, there was definitely a lot of news of AMD driver issues with the last gen. But to be fair... nVidia had some too.

I would say that for nVidia.... 95% of the time you will get a driver with little to no issues... and for AMD it's around 70%.
That's a difference of an "A" vs. a "C-" if one goes by typical academic grading. That is far from an "F" that some folks are insinuating.
Of course, this is subjective... and MY opinion based on my experiences and keeping up on tech news (public track record).

$50 less for the comparable performance of RTX3080 to a 6800XT isn't worth the risk of "C-" drivers to me, and I wouldn't want the extra performance hit with RT on.

That said... this news regarding Cyberpunk... just means most gamers are probably going to still gravitate towards nVIdia... while the crypto miners will go after AMD. It's still a blow for AMD, though.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Nov 22, 2020, 10:40
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 10:40
Nov 22, 2020, 10:40

Cutter states never, hell I've had some issues with even NVidia drivers over the years. I'm currently leaning 3080 over 5800xt fwiw, the VR benches are a new metric that came up positive for the 3080, that and their extra things they do I think is going to determine it, even though I do see 5800xt outperforming in standard rast games, possibly the closest call ever. Availability may also in the end determine it. Supposedly this week AMD AIB's are supposed to flood the market.

Nov 22, 2020, 10:39
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 10:39
Nov 22, 2020, 10:39

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 21, 2020, 18:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2020, 18:09:
They might as well delay the game for another 90 days so it can support Ray Tracing upon release. /s

Ok so here's the Elephant in the Room question. The hardware SEEMS great, but it never seems to be hardware issues over driver issues. Has ATI/AMD finally gotten over this issue to the point where I would switch my loyalty to AMD? Cause I currently have a 1080TI, the 3070's are looking super sexy right now, and with Ray Tracing now in full swing, should I wait to see if AMD can pull it together?

Thank you that was my next question. So with AMD being the GPU's of the new consoles, do the new consoles HAVE Ray Tracing?

Nov 22, 2020, 10:12
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 10:12
Nov 22, 2020, 10:12

Oh well. GeForce master-race here. I do kinda feel sorry for the AMD people. Ray-tracing looks incredible in this game.

Nov 22, 2020, 09:17
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 09:17
Nov 22, 2020, 09:17

El Pit wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 08:33:
Here's the good part of that story: you will nevertheless get AMD ray tracing support before you get an AMD 6800XT graphics card. So everything is good, right?
This is the reality of the situation. Right now there is just no availability of any of the new cards. By the time you can get a 6xxx series card they'll have added support.

Whilst raytracing is nice to have, for me it really isn't a must-have feature for the next few years. The performance hit just isn't worth it. I would happily pick up a 6800 XT if there was any availability, as the rasterisation performance, power usage and price are impressive. I've had AMD and nVidia cards over the years and have had issues with both, so that isn't a concern. However, I'll likely be able to get my hands on an RTX 3080 before I can the 6800 XT, in which case that will be my choice.

If AMD evolve their GPUs the way they have their CPUs then I'm really interested to see what they bring to the table with future models. Look at how quickly Ryzen has improved. The only reason nVidia is competitive this generation is because they pushed the clocks and power usage right to the limits, which has come at the expense of power usage, heat and overclocking headroom.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Nov 22, 2020, 08:33
El Pit

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 08:33
Nov 22, 2020, 08:33
 El Pit

Here's the good part of that story: you will nevertheless get AMD ray tracing support before you get an AMD 6800XT graphics card. So everything is good, right?
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Nov 22, 2020, 06:17
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 06:17
Nov 22, 2020, 06:17

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 21, 2020, 18:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2020, 18:09:
They might as well delay the game for another 90 days so it can support Ray Tracing upon release. /s

Ok so here's the Elephant in the Room question. The hardware SEEMS great, but it never seems to be hardware issues over driver issues. Has ATI/AMD finally gotten over this issue to the point where I would switch my loyalty to AMD? Cause I currently have a 1080TI, the 3070's are looking super sexy right now, and with Ray Tracing now in full swing, should I wait to see if AMD can pull it together?

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older