Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free

The Epic Games Store now offers this week's promised free games, so you can now take off in Elite Dangerous and/or visit The World Next Door at no cost. As always, these are yours to keep if you snag them over the coming seven days. After that, their new giveaway will begin, which will be MudRunner. In case you need to be sold on freebies, here's the sales pitch for the gratis games:
Take control of your own starship in a cutthroat galaxy. Elite Dangerous is the definitive massively multiplayer space epic, bringing gaming’s original open world adventure to the modern generation with an evolving narrative and the entirety of the Milky Way.

A mix of lightning-fast puzzle battles, powerful storytelling, and immersive visual novel elements, The World Next Door follows Jun, a rebellious teen trapped in a parallel realm inhabited by magical creatures, who must find her way home before time runs out.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free
Nov 20, 2020, 15:20
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 15:20
Nov 20, 2020, 15:20

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 15:10:
Auto docking is enabled by default for new players.
Does it work better than it used to? I tried it about a year ago and I dock better when I'm drunk than it did...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 20, 2020, 15:11
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 15:11
Nov 20, 2020, 15:11

Orogogus wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 12:40:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 11:02:
Dev wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 10:28:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 00:50:
AND a hotas controller like the X52;
Last time I looked for one around xwing squadron release time, that and anything similar was all sold out or super expensive.

I use the T16000m HOTAS combo which wasn't crazy expensive and is awesome.

That's what I have, too, but apparently there was a run on joysticks leading up to the Microsoft Flight Simulator release, and COVID supply chain issues, and the T16000M and most consumer joysticks have been out of stock, everywhere, since around August. Amazon and other sites have listings for two or three times their MSRP, but I don't think new ones are actually available to buy, regardless.

EDIT: I should clarify, that's online. People have reported finding the joystick or HOTAS set in stores, but obviously YMMV.
I got lucky and snagged the dual T16000 set for $120 right after FS came out.

Nov 20, 2020, 15:10
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 15:10
Nov 20, 2020, 15:10

Bodolza wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 12:55:
It does look very good in VR. Text readability is fine with any second+ gen headsets. I just found it deadly boring. Life is too short to spend hours jumping system to system. It also makes no sense that these highly advanced ships can't dock themselves. If my car can park itself today, there should really be no need for space truckers in the future.

Even so, if they'd just add fast travel, I'd happily jump back in. Of course, that would totally break the on-line only model, so I doubt it will ever happen.
When was the last time you played? Auto docking is enabled by default for new players.

Nov 20, 2020, 12:55
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 12:55
Nov 20, 2020, 12:55

It does look very good in VR. Text readability is fine with any second+ gen headsets. I just found it deadly boring. Life is too short to spend hours jumping system to system. It also makes no sense that these highly advanced ships can't dock themselves. If my car can park itself today, there should really be no need for space truckers in the future.

Even so, if they'd just add fast travel, I'd happily jump back in. Of course, that would totally break the on-line only model, so I doubt it will ever happen.

Nov 20, 2020, 12:49
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 12:49
Nov 20, 2020, 12:49

Snagged one of these. It shouldn't be too hard to guess which one.On a side note, can anybody think of anything catchy that rhymes with "Wear a mask"? Hmmmm.......hmmmmmm.......yeah....I think I can.
Germophobia can become a life crippling mental illness. If you don't get help at Charter, please, get help somewhere!
1000 IU's of daily Vitamin D reduce COVID-19 mortality by 77%.
Wearing a mask daily because of a mental illness reduces your IQ severely

Nov 20, 2020, 12:40
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 12:40
Nov 20, 2020, 12:40

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 11:02:
Last time I looked for one around xwing squadron release time, that and anything similar was all sold out or super expensive.

That's what I have, too, but apparently there was a run on joysticks leading up to the Microsoft Flight Simulator release, and COVID supply chain issues, and the T16000M and most consumer joysticks have been out of stock, everywhere, since around August. Amazon and other sites have listings for two or three times their MSRP, but I don't think new ones are actually available to buy, regardless.

EDIT: I should clarify, that's online. People have reported finding the joystick or HOTAS set in stores, but obviously YMMV.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2020, 12:52.

Nov 20, 2020, 11:51
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 11:51
Nov 20, 2020, 11:51

The best controller system I have found for Elite Dangerous is a Xbox Controller. Works right out of the box, and pretty easy to learn.

Nov 20, 2020, 11:31
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 11:31
Nov 20, 2020, 11:31

fakespyder wrote on Nov 20, 2020, 00:59:
@SlimRam
I'm not too worried about no offline mode for a free game. It's just that it means that one day the game wont work anymore.

@DrSquick
I've watched a lot of vr playthroughs and your description of combat sounds like a great experience. But yeah, I think I need to give vr a try before buying into it, just to be sure I can handle it. Also to get a sense if I think I'd use it enough once the novelty wears off.
I've built up a utopian vision of vr so it is good to hear the good & the bad of the current state of the tech.

Everything he just said is 100% correct. Fucking get goose bumps when I fire it up in VR.

You're not helping me approach this rationally Happy2
This is the only game I use with my Rift. The experience is everything that's great about VR. And Elite has made great progress since the beta that Cutter tried last.

Nov 20, 2020, 11:02
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 11:02
Nov 20, 2020, 11:02

Nov 20, 2020, 10:31
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 10:31
Nov 20, 2020, 10:31

I've had ED for a while, but never tried it in VR because I didn't have a game compliant HOTAS. I'd totally forgotten about that. Now that I have an x52, I'm going to have to revisit it!

Thanks for the reminder, guys.

Nov 20, 2020, 10:28
Dev

Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 10:28
Nov 20, 2020, 10:28
 Dev

Nov 20, 2020, 04:54
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 04:54
Nov 20, 2020, 04:54

DrSquick wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 23:47:
Elite is absolutely the best VR experience I've ever had!

How does one get the game to launch in VR? I've done some googling and checked out the forums, but I can't find a guide to set it up.

It wants to launch the game via Oculus... is there an option to tell the Elite launcher to use SteamVR?

Nov 20, 2020, 03:17
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 03:17
Nov 20, 2020, 03:17

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 20:48:
"Take control of your own starship in a cutthroat boring galaxy."

And fixed. You can travel FTL but you can't get prices for commodities from stations unless you land on them.
Sorry mate, but it’s not 2015 anymore. Things have changed quite a bit since. While ED is still a massive grind (has always been since 1984 and will always be) you can purchase trade data in game. Besides there are tons of fan sites that give you this information in real-time.
Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

Nov 20, 2020, 02:27
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 02:27
Nov 20, 2020, 02:27

fakespyder wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 22:42:
Elite Dangerous in vr is supposed to be pretty impressive. One day when I get the equipment, I look forward to firing this up. Hope the game servers are still running by then... It is a shame there's no offline mode.

Elite is absolutely the best VR experience I've ever had! One thing that really blew my mind was there are a few of the most common HOTAS (hands on stick and throttle) controllers programmed into the game, and if you have one of those you look down at your virtual hands and they are sitting on the exact controllers that you are holding in the real world. If your thumb in the real world reaches up and presses the missile button, your virtual avatar does at the same time. Even though it doesn't use the motion controllers it adds SO much to the experience. I also get horribly motion sick in VR games where you are moving, so being seated in a flight cockpit doesn't have those issues.

Being in a heated dogfight while in VR is incredible. As the enemy ship zips past you, you naturally pivot your head and look over your shoulder, and there the ship is! The response rate of head movement in VR headsets is also incredible, there's just no delay when you move your head!

Now the bad - I tried it on a Rift Beta2 (I can't recall the exact name), and the text was so low resolution I could not read anything, no matter what color I modded the text to be. I then bought my own Rift CR1, the first one, and it was marginally better, but it was very impression-breaking to just barely be able to read the text. There's also the problem that there's not a ton to do in Elite. The mining and trading part of the game is very relaxing, but you really need something else to do, like watch Netflix, while doing it.

I'd say if you can borrow someone's Rift CR1 or newer AND a hotas controller like the X52; Elite will blow your mind with the possibilities of VR. Unfortunately, I haven't turned on my Rift in four years.

Everything he just said is 100% correct. Fucking get goose bumps when I fire it up in VR.

I also support/agree with this assement.

Nov 20, 2020, 00:59
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 00:59
Nov 20, 2020, 00:59

@SlimRam
I'm not too worried about no offline mode for a free game. It's just that it means that one day the game wont work anymore.

@DrSquick
I've watched a lot of vr playthroughs and your description of combat sounds like a great experience. But yeah, I think I need to give vr a try before buying into it, just to be sure I can handle it. Also to get a sense if I think I'd use it enough once the novelty wears off.
I've built up a utopian vision of vr so it is good to hear the good & the bad of the current state of the tech.

You're not helping me approach this rationally Happy2

Nov 20, 2020, 00:50
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 20, 2020, 00:50
Nov 20, 2020, 00:50

Elite Dangerous in vr is supposed to be pretty impressive. One day when I get the equipment, I look forward to firing this up. Hope the game servers are still running by then... It is a shame there's no offline mode.

Elite is absolutely the best VR experience I've ever had! One thing that really blew my mind was there are a few of the most common HOTAS (hands on stick and throttle) controllers programmed into the game, and if you have one of those you look down at your virtual hands and they are sitting on the exact controllers that you are holding in the real world. If your thumb in the real world reaches up and presses the missile button, your virtual avatar does at the same time. Even though it doesn't use the motion controllers it adds SO much to the experience. I also get horribly motion sick in VR games where you are moving, so being seated in a flight cockpit doesn't have those issues.

Being in a heated dogfight while in VR is incredible. As the enemy ship zips past you, you naturally pivot your head and look over your shoulder, and there the ship is! The response rate of head movement in VR headsets is also incredible, there's just no delay when you move your head!

Now the bad - I tried it on a Rift Beta2 (I can't recall the exact name), and the text was so low resolution I could not read anything, no matter what color I modded the text to be. I then bought my own Rift CR1, the first one, and it was marginally better, but it was very impression-breaking to just barely be able to read the text. There's also the problem that there's not a ton to do in Elite. The mining and trading part of the game is very relaxing, but you really need something else to do, like watch Netflix, while doing it.

I'd say if you can borrow someone's Rift CR1 or newer AND a hotas controller like the X52; Elite will blow your mind with the possibilities of VR. Unfortunately, I haven't turned on my Rift in four years.

Nov 19, 2020, 23:47
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 19, 2020, 23:47
Nov 19, 2020, 23:47

Nov 19, 2020, 23:36
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 19, 2020, 23:36
Nov 19, 2020, 23:36

There is a mode where you play with only npcs but you still have to have an internet connection to the server so it is close to offline but not quite.

Nov 19, 2020, 22:42
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 19, 2020, 22:42
Nov 19, 2020, 22:42

Nov 19, 2020, 21:48
Re: Get Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door for Free Nov 19, 2020, 21:48
Nov 19, 2020, 21:48

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 20:48:
"Take control of your own starship in a cutthroat boring galaxy."

And fixed. You can travel FTL but you can't get prices for commodities from stations unless you land on them. You can jump all over the galaxy but not anywhere remotely close to a station. This game is so fucking bad because as soon as Braben broke his word about it being offline he turned into a grindy MMO with hopes it would make him WoW money. Instead it barely exists.

Considering how badly the WoW Expansion is going to be, Elite could use a dump of fresh blood.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older