Epic Sues Apple in AU

Sydney Morning Herald has the latest chapter in the ongoing saga of the court battle between Epic Games and Apple over Fortnite royalties in the App Store, whether Apple has a monopoly and all that jazz (thanks GamesIndustry.biz). The new action sees Epic stating the situation represents a violation of Australian consumer law:
Epic has long complained that the 30 per cent cut Apple takes on all payments made through its platform is too high. In August Fortnite, which brought in revenues of $US1.8 billion ($2.5 billion) in 2019, was removed from Apple's iPhone App Store when Epic insisted on including its own direct payment option at a 20 per cent discount. Epic subsequently sued Apple in California.

Now in its Australian filing, Epic claims Apple is breaching Australian consumer law by preventing competition in its iPhone ecosystem for payment processing and app downloads.

Sharemarket analysts view the legal dispute as an important test case for Apple's services and digital payments revenue, which have become an important driver of the $US2 trillion ($2.7 trillion) company's business.

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age that while smartphone app stores were a novelty 12 years ago, and a 70 per cent take was a good deal for developers, a huge chunk of the world's economy would soon be processed through mobile platforms and change was sorely needed.

"Apple has said they have the legal right to do whatever the hell they want because they make the devices. Under Apple's legal theory they could charge 90 per cent. The very notion that they're standing on is antithetical to free markets and competition," he said.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU
Nov 23, 2020, 17:18
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 23, 2020, 17:18
Nov 23, 2020, 17:18

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:49:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 04:50:
I'm boycotting Amazon, because they are paying Lego for a third party exclusive on their website, and that's uncompetitive and monopolistic. Third party exclusives are uncompetitive and anti-American. I should be able to purchase any product from any vendor. I'm never ordering from Amazon again. It's uncompetitive.

This is sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious.

Considering they've done it with Toys R Us and Target for years?

O_o

Yeah and most other retailers (I saw an exclusive Harry Potter Barnes and Nobles story the other day). Also, all consoles are the same. They all have their exclusives. Arguably, you should add PC to you ban list too because you can't play all PC games on any console. iOS only work on mac devices. There are plenty of Apple Apps not avail on Google's Play store. You can't access the apple store w/o an apple device. That's exclusivity. Not to mention the Amazon app store and it's exclusives in their app store -- which you're already adding to you ban list so I guess you get that one for free!

The list goes on and on if you're really going to take that stance you'll need to find a nice homestead and farm.

Exclusives, like it or not, are a free market tool that's been used for literally decades.

Nov 20, 2020, 13:52
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 20, 2020, 13:52
Nov 20, 2020, 13:52

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 22:05:
My immediate thought on seeing this headline was, even if Apple were to lose -- which seems unlikely, they could/should/would simply close/disable the Apple Store for AU. I would enjoy watching the howling which would happen after that....

"That's a nice iOS infrastructure you have there, Australia. Shame if something would happen to it."
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Nov 19, 2020, 22:05
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 22:05
Nov 19, 2020, 22:05

My immediate thought on seeing this headline was, even if Apple were to lose -- which seems unlikely, they could/should/would simply close/disable the Apple Store for AU. I would enjoy watching the howling which would happen after that....
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 19, 2020, 21:52
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 21:52
Nov 19, 2020, 21:52

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:49:
I'm boycotting Amazon, because they are paying Lego for a third party exclusive on their website, and that's uncompetitive and monopolistic. Third party exclusives are uncompetitive and anti-American. I should be able to purchase any product from any vendor. I'm never ordering from Amazon again. It's uncompetitive.

O_o
Oh, I don't blame Lego. I blame the vendors, including Target, Walmart, & Toys R Us. If the vendors hadn't tempted Lego, Lego would never have committed sin in the first place. Just like I blame Epic for tempting publishers for accepting timed exclusives on the EGS store.

/s
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Nov 19, 2020, 21:49
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 21:49
Nov 19, 2020, 21:49

Acleacius wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 07:12:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 02:25:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 18, 2020, 23:40:
I really just feel like sweeney is the trump of the game world atm. Wtf

Trump never faced down Goliath. Epic may be acting in self-interest, but Apple's dominant and uncompetitive position must end one way or another.
Afaik I've never used or made a purchase with Apple, so I probably not the best judge. That being said, it's hard for me to see them as Goliath. Nor do I consider an authoritarian multimillionaire (with billionaire/trillionaire corporation backing), giving away free games as a PR stunt. Just to create mock outrage over, an industry standard that has actual merit in many cases. Legally what he is doing is creating self harm, then jumping up and down blaming others. It's called the Clean Hands Doctrine, in the US and he was clearly failing in US courts.

Nor would I give him credit for Apple's bottom tier adjustment. In all honesty the wealthier (corps in this case) should be paying more than independents. It was the right thing to do, which proves Apple is not Goliath. BUT most importantly that's not what sweeney is fighting for. He was fighting for his billion dollar corporation. While gaslighting himself as a victim/hero, using populism as a hall of smoke and mirrors. If your going to give sweeney credit for the adjustment, you will also have to give Apple the credit for completely outsmarting him again. Because Apple made it impossible for him to win now, and he got nothing he wanted.

I do commend you for boycotting a corporation. Cheerleading Sadly I've got no experience with Lego either. I've got 4 Lego items in my Steam library from some bundles I've never played. The only way we will ever stop behemoths like amazon and apple is with legislation. Sadly the US politicians have been giving away all tax revenues, as corporate tax cuts for the last 40 years.

Apple is the most profitable and valuable company in the history of the world. That's literally the definition of Goliath. And without public pressure and publicity from Epic's stunts, how do you see them reducing their revenue share? Out of the goodness of their hearts?

Nov 19, 2020, 11:54
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 11:54
Nov 19, 2020, 11:54

wtf_man wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:35:
I do commend you for boycotting a corporation. Cheerleading

Apparently you didn't find jdreyer's "secret message" in the post regarding sarcasm.

I don't think anyone would boycott amazon over Legos. LOL
Lmao, your probably right! That's what I get for posting at 1am, too tired to think.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Nov 19, 2020, 10:37
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 10:37
Nov 19, 2020, 10:37

Nullity wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:43:
Nor would I give him credit for Apple's bottom tier adjustment. In all honesty the wealthier (corps in this case) should be paying more than independents. It was the right thing to do, which proves Apple is not Goliath. BUT most importantly that's not what sweeney is fighting for. He was fighting for his billion dollar corporation. While gaslighting himself as a victim/hero, using populism as a hall of smoke and mirrors. If your going to give sweeney credit for the adjustment, you will also have to give Apple the credit for completely outsmarting him again. Because Apple made it impossible for him to win now, and he got nothing he wanted.
This exactly. I have a feeling that the response from Epic/Sweeney will finally show their true colors. Or they will oddly remain silent, which would be very out of character for Sweeney, which in itself would be a sort of confirmation.

This^^

Tim's choosing to act like a whiny bitch and trying to fool people into supporting his 0.01%'ers wannabe "victim" ass. And some people are buying it hook, line and sinker... somehow, go figure.

Billion $ corp fighting billion $ corp for their own interests that mostly go against the interests of the plebs... Why the hell should plebs take a side here?

Corps aren't your friends, why defend them?

Nov 19, 2020, 10:01
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 10:01
Nov 19, 2020, 10:01

wtf_man wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:40:
Does Poe's Law still apply if you use hidden text?

Probably not. I almost tripped on the same thing... was going to reply "how ridiculous that was", but when I quoted jdreyer in the reply, the secret message was within the quote.

Since Acleacius didn't quote jdreyer in the response... the secret message wasn't seen.

EDIT: Looks like he got The Half Elf too! LOL Good trolling on jdreyer's part!
(on your edit) And that was with the included quote. Wink

I read jdreyer's post and it immediately set off my sarcasm detector.
There's a million reasons to boycott a company like Amazon but Lego exclusives is not one of them.
The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Nov 19, 2020, 09:51
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 09:51
Nov 19, 2020, 09:51

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:40:

Probably not. I almost tripped on the same thing... was going to reply "how ridiculous that was", but when I quoted jdreyer in the reply, the secret message was within the quote.

Since Acleacius didn't quote jdreyer in the response... the secret message wasn't seen.

EDIT: Looks like he got The Half Elf too! LOL Good trolling on jdreyer's part!
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Nov 19, 2020, 09:49
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 09:49
Nov 19, 2020, 09:49

O_o

Nov 19, 2020, 09:47
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 09:47
Nov 19, 2020, 09:47

Tim wanted lower rates for all developers not just himself. He got a major score because he got lower rates for the majority of all developers on the App Store.
That is significant.
And it leaves room to continue fighting the good fight for another day.

Nov 19, 2020, 09:43
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 09:43
Nov 19, 2020, 09:43

This exactly. I have a feeling that the response from Epic/Sweeney will finally show their true colors. Or they will oddly remain silent, which would be very out of character for Sweeney, which in itself would be a sort of confirmation.

Nov 19, 2020, 09:40
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 09:40
Nov 19, 2020, 09:40

wtf_man wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:35:

Apparently you didn't find jdreyer's "secret message" in the post regarding sarcasm.

Nov 19, 2020, 09:35
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 09:35
Nov 19, 2020, 09:35

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Nov 19, 2020, 07:12
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 07:12
Nov 19, 2020, 07:12

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 02:25:

Trump never faced down Goliath. Epic may be acting in self-interest, but Apple's dominant and uncompetitive position must end one way or another.
Afaik I've never used or made a purchase with Apple, so I probably not the best judge. That being said, it's hard for me to see them as Goliath. Nor do I consider an authoritarian multimillionaire (with billionaire/trillionaire corporation backing), giving away free games as a PR stunt. Just to create mock outrage over, an industry standard that has actual merit in many cases. Legally what he is doing is creating self harm, then jumping up and down blaming others. It's called the Clean Hands Doctrine, in the US and he was clearly failing in US courts.

I do commend you for boycotting a corporation. Cheerleading Sadly I've got no experience with Lego either. I've got 4 Lego items in my Steam library from some bundles I've never played. The only way we will ever stop behemoths like amazon and apple is with legislation. Sadly the US politicians have been giving away all tax revenues, as corporate tax cuts for the last 40 years.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Nov 19, 2020, 04:50
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 04:50
Nov 19, 2020, 04:50

Nov 19, 2020, 02:25
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 02:25
Nov 19, 2020, 02:25

Nov 19, 2020, 02:23
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 02:23
Nov 19, 2020, 02:23

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 18, 2020, 22:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 18, 2020, 21:30:
The new App Store Small Business Program will benefit the vast majority of developers who sell digital goods and services on the store,
Not exactly fluff.
I doubt this chink in Apple's armor would have occured w/out Epic's continued prodding.
I would say apple did this in spite of Epic's prodding
So, no Epic lawsuit, and they just do this out of the blue?

Nov 19, 2020, 02:15
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 19, 2020, 02:15
Nov 19, 2020, 02:15

Darks wrote on Nov 18, 2020, 19:46:
Yea, just keep poking the bear Epic, this is not going to turn out well for you.

It's actually already having an effect.

Apple Cuts App Store Fees in Half for Small Developers as Monopoly Concerns Loom

Nov 18, 2020, 23:40
Re: Epic Sues Apple in AU Nov 18, 2020, 23:40
Nov 18, 2020, 23:40

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older