Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced

The BioWare Blog celebrates N7 Day with the expected announcement of the very long rumored remastered edition of the Mass Effect trilogy. BioWare GM Casey Hudson says this Mass Effect Legendary Edition is expected in spring 2021 for PC and consoles. This will include all the single-player content of the first three Mass Effect games along with all DLC and special packs, remastered and optimized for 4K. He also confirms another rumor, saying a "veteran" team is in the early stages of creating a new installment in the space opera series. Here are all the details:
It’s tough keeping a big secret (and we really struggled to keep this one a surprise) but now it’s official: today we announced the Mass Effect Legendary Edition! We’ve heard (for years!) your requests for a Mass Effect remaster, so we’re super happy to finally reveal that we’ve been working on a remastered edition of the Mass Effect trilogy.

For many months now, our team at BioWare has been hard at work updating the textures, shaders, models, effects, and technical features of three enormous games. Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form. It’s been amazing to see the adventures of Commander Shepard take on new life in super-sharp resolution, faster framerates, and beautiful visual enhancements. As game developers, we always hope that our games will transcend their original platforms. Having the opportunity to remaster the trilogy means that the fruits of a decade of our work will live on, and will be experienced better and clearer than ever before.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will include single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, plus promo weapons, armors, and packs – all remastered and optimized for 4k Ultra HD. It will be available in Spring 2021 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. More information to come in the new year!

Meanwhile here at BioWare, a veteran team has been hard at work envisioning the next chapter of the Mass Effect universe. We are in early stages on the project and can’t say any more just yet, but we’re looking forward to sharing our vision for where we’ll be going next.

For me personally, Mass Effect represents years of work and countless special memories, so every year I feel incredibly fortunate to celebrate N7 Day with players around the world. Thank you so much for supporting us over the years. I can’t wait to continue our adventure together – revisiting our favorite memories in the Mass Effect universe, and creating brand new ones!
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced
Nov 9, 2020, 08:45
Dev
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 9, 2020, 08:45
Nov 9, 2020, 08:45
Dev

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 9, 2020, 02:37:
They remastered Baldur's Gate 2? *quickly checks google*
Beamdog did, yes, similar to how BG1 was, and they've done a few others too. At first glance looks like the others like icewind dale and planescape torment are more just enhanced and BG2 is more of a remaster.
I've not played it, but my understanding is new content was added.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/257350/Baldurs_Gate_II_Enhanced_Edition/
Most recent reviews are overwhelmingly positive for the remaster.

Nov 9, 2020, 02:37
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 9, 2020, 02:37
Nov 9, 2020, 02:37

They remastered Baldur's Gate 2? *quickly checks google*

Nov 9, 2020, 01:25
Dev
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 9, 2020, 01:25
Nov 9, 2020, 01:25
Dev

GinRummy wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 20:51:
I've yet to see a truly updated remaster game that was more than new textures and compatibility updates.
How about Command & Conquer? They had original composers come back, they had a fan remake of the original install video redo it, it's awesome. There's other things too on it.

Lucasarts did some quality remasters like Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango. What about Baldurs gate 2? Or Age of Empires 2? Or going WAY WAY back, the original Space Quest 1 was remastered back in the day as was a couple other 1st quest games from Sierra.

Or getting away from PC games, Link's Awakening?

I agree with many on your potential list, but there's been a lot of remasters too that are more than just textures and compatibility. Maybe try a few if you haven't

Nov 8, 2020, 17:22
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 17:22
Nov 8, 2020, 17:22

Acleacius wrote on Nov 8, 2020, 16:24:
Seeing this brings a tear to my eye, it's like seeing ubi and denuvo having dog sex, and getting stuck together.
Instead of spraying them with a hose, I just laugh till I cry. Happycry
You sir, are a genius! I literally almost choked on the water I was drinking when I read this 10/10

Now to change my shirt, thanks!

Nov 8, 2020, 16:24
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 16:24
Nov 8, 2020, 16:24

Seeing this brings a tear to my eye, it's like seeing ubi and denuvo having dog sex, and getting stuck together.
Instead of spraying them with a hose, I just laugh till I cry. Happycry
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Nov 8, 2020, 15:07
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 15:07
Nov 8, 2020, 15:07

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 8, 2020, 13:14:
The first one was kind of cool, but when I remember the great games Bioware produced that came before it, it spelled the beginning of the end for the Bioware I knew and loved. I really can't get excited about anything these guys announce anymore.

We all have are opinions, I don't believe this is a common one, to me it seems this was their pinnacle from reading others and it's been downhill since. I was overall never as enamored as Bioware as they were made out to be. Doesn't mean they didn't make a good or even a great game, but to me there plenty of ok games as well throughout. Please don't confuse this with me thinking they weren't good, just not some type of company that just put out masterpiece after masterpiece.

Nov 8, 2020, 13:14
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 13:14
Nov 8, 2020, 13:14

The first one was kind of cool, but when I remember the great games Bioware produced that came before it, it spelled the beginning of the end for the Bioware I knew and loved. I really can't get excited about anything these guys announce anymore.

Nov 8, 2020, 12:27
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 12:27
Nov 8, 2020, 12:27

Simon Says wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 22:14:
A prequel would probably be nice. Other than that, I don't know how they could do another Mass Effect TBH.

Guess we'll see.

Good writing can go a long way. Whether or not EA has the capacity to both employ good writers and put them to good use are another thing entirely.

Nov 8, 2020, 12:10
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 12:10
Nov 8, 2020, 12:10

|RaptoR| wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 23:35:
Solemn-Philosopher wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 13:30:
Remastered or not, I am not one to go back and play games I've already completed. There are so many games that I want to play out there and I don't have enough time to play half of them. That being said, the Mass Effect trilogy is one of my favorites gaming series of all time and I am glad that it can be experienced by newcomers.

I have always wanted to dive into the Mass Effect games, and this will be my first opportunity -- just wasn't good timing with the others. I'm super excited!

Here is something real imo, one issue with remasters is you lose all the mods and imo this series really benefits from mods. There is a lot of running back and forth and the mods that speed that up to me are a godsend. There are better quality graphic mods, so if this is all it brings, sometimes we even find out the mods do a better job. Now for consoles you take it, but being a PC site I would at this time honestly really question if the Remasters are better for today's audience then mods that exist with the current versions. For me I wouldn't play without mods now, they just add gameplay QoL enhancements.

Nov 8, 2020, 08:12
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 08:12
Nov 8, 2020, 08:12

A "veteran" team, they say. You mean, like the people that made Dragon Age 2?

Nov 8, 2020, 02:58
yonder

Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 02:58
Nov 8, 2020, 02:58
 yonder

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 23:19:
Fion wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 22:12:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 18:15:
Eh, I never thought the originals were anything beyond okay. Zero interest in this even if it was free.

Never change, Cutter.

Go fuck yourself. There's zero shortage of games that I love and get excited about personally or around here, asshole.

Never change, Cutter

Nov 8, 2020, 02:23
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 8, 2020, 02:23
Nov 8, 2020, 02:23

GinRummy wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 20:51:
I had a blast with ME4, possibly more than I did with any of the first three. Yeah, I know that puts me in the minority, but I've completed it twice now, and look forward to a possible new game. I hope they make it fun, and I hope they don't screw up (or under work) the remasters. I've yet to see a truly updated remaster game that was more than new textures and compatibility updates. How about old stuff like Lucasarts Outlaws, or No One Lives Forever (the cool girl spy game that's in limbo now), or other old classics that could be put on new engines. Fallout 1 and 2 (or 3 and NV) in an updated engine. The Gothic series, Betrayal At Krondor, old Might and Magic rpgs, Wizardry games. Ultima and U Underworld? Dragon Wars (from Interplay). The Gold Box series. So many.

You know, I actually didn't mind ME4 either, I also loved ME1 and 2 and at first hated 3 because of it's awful ending but went back and played it when they changed it and loved it. Thought they were awesome endings.

Nov 7, 2020, 23:38
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 7, 2020, 23:38
Nov 7, 2020, 23:38

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 23:19:
Fion wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 22:12:
Eh, I never thought the originals were anything beyond okay. Zero interest in this even if it was free.

Never change, Cutter.

Go fuck yourself. There's zero shortage of games that I love and get excited about personally or around here, asshole.

Imagine living a life where this level of toxicity is your normal state
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Nov 7, 2020, 23:35
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 7, 2020, 23:35
Nov 7, 2020, 23:35

Solemn-Philosopher wrote on Nov 7, 2020, 13:30:
Remastered or not, I am not one to go back and play games I've already completed. There are so many games that I want to play out there and I don't have enough time to play half of them. That being said, the Mass Effect trilogy is one of my favorites gaming series of all time and I am glad that it can be experienced by newcomers.

I have always wanted to dive into the Mass Effect games, and this will be my first opportunity -- just wasn't good timing with the others. I'm super excited!
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

removed
Nov 7, 2020, 23:19
removed Nov 7, 2020, 23:19
Nov 7, 2020, 23:19

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Nov 8, 2020, 06:16. Reason: Personal attacks (rule 1)
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Nov 7, 2020, 22:14
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 7, 2020, 22:14
Nov 7, 2020, 22:14

A prequel would probably be nice. Other than that, I don't know how they could do another Mass Effect TBH.

Guess we'll see.

Nov 7, 2020, 22:12
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 7, 2020, 22:12
Nov 7, 2020, 22:12

Never change, Cutter.

Nov 7, 2020, 22:06
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 7, 2020, 22:06
Nov 7, 2020, 22:06

I'll almost certainly buy the remaster. Legendary series.

One request Bioware: Use the Happy Ending Mod. It's a far better ending to the game that is both bittersweet and an emotional final farewell to all the great characters of the series.It uses assets and videos already in the game files and while it's a bit jenky, it's also very obviously the ending you were working on when you ran out of time and slapped on the bandaid that was the worst thing to happen in video gaming since E.T.!

Even if they don't, and they probably won't, I highly recommend everyone who gets the remaster - especially those who never played the original games - check the mod out. Likely it'll be updated for this release. I literally replayed the entire series with this mod turned on, just to wipe clean the shit stain that the original ending left on my brain.

Nov 7, 2020, 20:51
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 7, 2020, 20:51
Nov 7, 2020, 20:51

I had a blast with ME4, possibly more than I did with any of the first three. Yeah, I know that puts me in the minority, but I've completed it twice now, and look forward to a possible new game. I hope they make it fun, and I hope they don't screw up (or under work) the remasters. I've yet to see a truly updated remaster game that was more than new textures and compatibility updates. How about old stuff like Lucasarts Outlaws, or No One Lives Forever (the cool girl spy game that's in limbo now), or other old classics that could be put on new engines. Fallout 1 and 2 (or 3 and NV) in an updated engine. The Gothic series, Betrayal At Krondor, old Might and Magic rpgs, Wizardry games. Ultima and U Underworld? Dragon Wars (from Interplay). The Gold Box series. So many.

Nov 7, 2020, 18:15
Re: Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy and New Mass Effect Announced Nov 7, 2020, 18:15
Nov 7, 2020, 18:15

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older