The Medium RC in AU

There will not be a happy medium in Australia as it currently stands, as Kotaku Australia reports that The Medium has been refused classification down under. The adventure/horror game is expected for PC and Xbox on December 10th, so developer Bloober Team still has a little time to rectify whatever is objectionable about the game, otherwise it will not be allowed to be sold in the region. It's not exactly sure what triggered the refusal, here's the result of Kotaku's digging:
Bloober Team responded to queries last week, saying via a representative that the developers would be “working on that tomorrow and on Thursday”. I emailed again asking for an update, but heard nothing back, and had no further reply at the beginning of this week when I asked for clarification. Microsoft, when contacted, referred all inquiries to Bloober Team.

The Classification Board didn’t directly classify The Medium, but they did get back to me with some information around its listing. The game was classified on July 6 through the online IARC tool, although rulings through IARC have the same legal force as a classification from the Board themselves. (That said, mistakes on online forms happen frequently, and Bloober Team wouldn’t be the first developer to mess up their IARC form.)
View : : :
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: The Medium RC in AU
Nov 3, 2020, 17:53
Re: The Medium RC in AU Nov 3, 2020, 17:53
Nov 3, 2020, 17:53

jdreyer wrote on Nov 3, 2020, 17:29:
I thought Australia had an Adults Only rating. What could possibly be so objectionable?

There are still a few things that will cause a title to be refused outright.
  • Actual drugs - eg: Morphine instead of "stim".
  • Rape type visualisations or actions.
  • Realistic Dismemberment type actions. Though this has seen mixed results in the past.

Nov 3, 2020, 17:29
Re: The Medium RC in AU Nov 3, 2020, 17:29
Nov 3, 2020, 17:29

I thought Australia had an Adults Only rating. What could possibly be so objectionable?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 3, 2020, 14:35
Re: The Medium RC in AU Nov 3, 2020, 14:35
Nov 3, 2020, 14:35

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 3, 2020, 12:15:
Australians probably just don't like walking simulators.

They should have called it The Walkabout.

Midget soothsayer robs bank! Small medium at large!
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Nov 3, 2020, 12:15
Re: The Medium RC in AU Nov 3, 2020, 12:15
Nov 3, 2020, 12:15

Australians probably just don't like walking simulators.
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older