No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade

Next Generation Update on the No Man's Sky Website outlines the enhancements coming to No Man's Sky for the next-generation console editions of the space exploration game. The good news for owners of the PC edition is that this means they are getting a free upgrade including visual improvements and 32-player multiplayer support. Hello Games includes version 3.10 patch notes, side-by-side screenshots, and this trailer showing off what to expect. Here's a bit:
Update 3.10 brings a graphically enhanced and smoother No Man’s Sky to the next generation of consoles. All enhancements are available to PC players.

Continue your journey in a universe with bigger bases, lusher planets, more players, faster warp speeds and more – free for all existing players.

FULLER WORLDS
Wander across lusher, denser alien environments than ever before. Planetary terrain is populated with thicker grasses, flowers, fungi and rocks, rendered with higher resolution textures and more detailed geometry.

These improvements are available on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and all PC players who run on Ultra settings.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade
Oct 30, 2020, 03:37
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 30, 2020, 03:37
Oct 30, 2020, 03:37

Orogogus wrote on Oct 29, 2020, 12:41:
VaranDragon wrote on Oct 29, 2020, 07:28:
It's been a while since I've played it. Anyone try it in VR?
No Man's Sky is easily the jankiest thing I've played in VR, requiring way more horsepower than anything else I've tried to play. I don't have a great PC (i5-6600K, 1070), so even at the lowest settings there's tons of pop-in and severe hitching on the ground, and it's much worse in the sky. I wonder if it's like this with PSVR, too.

That's aside from design jank, like the quick menus on your wrist still don't seem to have a way to navigate left or right other than selecting the option to the side and then canceling to move the menu over.

Thanks for the reply it has saved me quite a bit of time.

Oct 29, 2020, 12:41
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 29, 2020, 12:41
Oct 29, 2020, 12:41

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 29, 2020, 07:28:
No Man's Sky is easily the jankiest thing I've played in VR, requiring way more horsepower than anything else I've tried to play. I don't have a great PC (i5-6600K, 1070), so even at the lowest settings there's tons of pop-in and severe hitching on the ground, and it's much worse in the sky. I wonder if it's like this with PSVR, too.

That's aside from design jank, like the quick menus on your wrist still don't seem to have a way to navigate left or right other than selecting the option to the side and then canceling to move the menu over.

Oct 29, 2020, 07:28
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 29, 2020, 07:28
Oct 29, 2020, 07:28

Oct 28, 2020, 23:14
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 23:14
Oct 28, 2020, 23:14

WaltC wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 19:50:
I waited for two years after NMS debuted to buy it--picked it up at a half-off sale in 2018 because I was very impressed with the fact that the developers had very big and ambitious plans for the game and had been supporting it wonderfully for two entire years after it shipped! What Hello Games has done since I bought NMS still blows me away. That level of commitment to a game is rare indeed--you can name on one hand the other companies which have taken that route--like CDPR, Crate Entertainment, and even Larian to a somewhat lesser extent, possibly. There are others that do not immediately come to mind (Blizzard, with some titles) but still this is a very, very exclusive club we are talking about! Games like these few will continue to draw a lot of revenue over the decades ahead so long as they are kept as up to date as possible, expanded, and etc.

Completely agree. Nicely said.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 28, 2020, 21:45
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 21:45

WaltC wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 19:50:
I waited for two years after NMS debuted to buy it--picked it up at a half-off sale in 2018 because I was very impressed with the fact that the developers had very big and ambitious plans for the game and had been supporting it wonderfully for two entire years after it shipped! What Hello Games has done since I bought NMS still blows me away. That level of commitment to a game is rare indeed--you can name on one hand the other companies which have taken that route--like CDPR, Crate Entertainment, and even Larian to a somewhat lesser extent, possibly. There are others that do not immediately come to mind (Blizzard, with some titles) but still this is a very, very exclusive club we are talking about! Games like these few will continue to draw a lot of revenue over the decades ahead so long as they are kept as up to date as possible, expanded, and etc.

I would say Hello has added a lot more than those companies even.

Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 21:45

Dacron wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 21:31:
Also, if you don't want the terminals (I did not) in your base you can unlock the blueprints they give at the space anomaly with salvaged data units from buried technology modules. It's in the rear upper floor, you can unlock all the research this way, and I always grab them if they're near on a planet.
I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to say anything.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 28, 2020, 21:31
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 21:31
Oct 28, 2020, 21:31

Also, if you don't want the terminals (I did not) in your base you can unlock the blueprints they give at the space anomaly with salvaged data units from buried technology modules. It's in the rear upper floor, you can unlock all the research this way, and I always grab them (the data units) if they're near on a planet.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2020, 22:39.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Oct 28, 2020, 20:12
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 20:12
Oct 28, 2020, 20:12

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 16:39:
Bumpy wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 13:19:
This game as a service, I don't want a service; finish the game and move on to NMS2 or something.

I keep wanting to buy this game but refuse to because of all the continuously added on content and features.

I got 'burned' with Elite Dangerous and don't want to experience this same misfortune again.

I'm not understanding your problem. All of the updates are free. Asking for NMS 2 is like asking for World of Warcraft 2.

Free is great to a point. Perpetual 'service' updates prevents experiencing and enjoying a game in its fullest, complete form. The final art form is impeded by digital opulence.

Oct 28, 2020, 19:50
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 19:50
Oct 28, 2020, 19:50

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Oct 28, 2020, 19:00
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 19:00
Oct 28, 2020, 19:00

I've been pretty impressed with this developer. Lots of new free content and a continuous attempt to improve the game. I do wonder how their funding works though. I can't imagine it still sells bonkers despite the steady stream of new content.

Oct 28, 2020, 18:36
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 18:36
Oct 28, 2020, 18:36

Dacron wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 17:59:
Get as many S class scanner upgrades you can (your tool can hold 3 of each upgrade) that increase your scan profit. I get ~100,000-300,000 credits to scan animals, 30,000 per new fauna. Huge money maker.

Thanks for the tip, I got like 3-5k for scanning the new flora/fauna, so I definitely missed out on some coin, but I'll upgrade ASAP.

Oct 28, 2020, 18:29
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 18:29
Oct 28, 2020, 18:29

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 16:41:
In my game a couple years ago, I had a base with engineers and stuff I'd recruited into it. Now I don't see an option to build those stations. Any ideas on how to get those?
Been so long since I used the "Specialty" stations, I wasn't sure they still existed. But I just looked and they are indeed there. You'd need to be either in a base you own or your Freighter to see them in your build menu though....

Oct 28, 2020, 18:27
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 18:27
Oct 28, 2020, 18:27

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 16:42:
So I reinstalled, to see what's up, and... my piddling little base was still there, on some crappy planet, but the planet had been taken over by some new giant species of plants, some of which had started growing amongst my buildings, blocking doors, etc.

Bug? Feature? I can't tell, but there are about a dozen new plants/animals around the immediate area, almost feels like my shit planet got wiped and rerolled (but my buildings/ship/inventory were not). Not a big deal, I just found it somewhat interesting. It's probably been the better part of a year since I last played.

Apparently I am still in the newbie stage and need to go mine some more copper. Which is apparently rare on my planet, that seems to be covered in uranium.

*EDIT* Grammar.
Yeah, there was a change to the procedure which generates planet surfaces. My "main base" is about 30 feet underneath the surface now. But it isn't a big deal since everything still works, including the "outdoor" plants.

Oct 28, 2020, 17:59
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 17:59
Oct 28, 2020, 17:59

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 16:41:
In my game a couple years ago, I had a base with engineers and stuff I'd recruited into it. Now I don't see an option to build those stations. Any ideas on how to get those?

If your build menu doesn't list the terminal options make sure your base computer is there.

If its there you may need to play the main missions, as they unlock blueprints to build them. One of the updates it was added, breaks old bases I think, but was added into the story line to unlock all the base mechanics.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 16:42:
So I reinstalled, to see what's up, and... my piddling little base was still there, on some crappy planet, but the planet had been taken over by some new giant species of plants, some of which had started growing amongst my buildings, blocking doors, etc.

Bug? Feature? I can't tell, but there are about a dozen new plants/animals around the immediate area, almost feels like my shit planet got wiped and rerolled (but my buildings/ship/inventory were not). Not a big deal, I just found it somewhat interesting. It's probably been the better part of a year since I last played.

Apparently I am still in the newbie stage and need to go mine some more copper. Which is apparently rare on my planet, that seems to be covered in uranium.

It was an update, they really increased the fauna and it does not care about your previous bases/clipping issues. I had the same thing happen to a lesser extent, I just lived with the tree growing through my base. Also tons more animal activity.

Get as many S class scanner upgrades you can (your tool can hold 3 of each upgrade) that increase your scan profit. I get ~100,000-300,000 credits to scan animals, 30,000 per new fauna. Huge money maker.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Oct 28, 2020, 16:42
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 16:42
Oct 28, 2020, 16:42

*EDIT* Grammar.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2020, 17:01.

Oct 28, 2020, 16:41
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 16:41
Oct 28, 2020, 16:41

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 28, 2020, 16:39
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 16:39
Oct 28, 2020, 16:39

Bumpy wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 13:19:
This game as a service, I don't want a service; finish the game and move on to NMS2 or something.

I keep wanting to buy this game but refuse to because of all the continuously added on content and features.

I got 'burned' with Elite Dangerous and don't want to experience this same misfortune again.

I'm not understanding your problem. All of the updates are free. Asking for NMS 2 is like asking for World of Warcraft 2.

Oct 28, 2020, 16:26
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 16:26
Oct 28, 2020, 16:26

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 13:04:
Nut wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 12:37:
> As far as I can tell their pricing strategy is to still keep No Man's Sky relatively highly priced (no big timed price slash sales that people wait for), which makes sense.
I'm certain that I paid around $10 for NMS, but it was back when the game was at a really low point... still reeling from the bad public response and no major new updates had dropped.

This game isn't for me, but I have to give credit where it's due... this game seems to have delivered on most of its promises, and where it could not deliver in some areas, it over-delivered on others.

It appears that the game has never dipped below $20. On reputable sites like Steam and GoG, never below $24. Well worth it IMO, you'll get 100 hours out of this game easy, if not much more. There's tons to do.

Oct 28, 2020, 16:23
Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 16:23
Oct 28, 2020, 16:23

Nut wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 12:37:
> I wonder what their internal data says about the viability of still spending time and money on NMS, they must be still getting a decent number of new sales?

I wonder this too. As far as I can tell their pricing strategy is to still keep No Man's Sky relatively highly priced (no big timed price slash sales that people wait for), which makes sense. It's also possible they arranged sweetheart deals with Microsoft for what they are getting paid to have this on Game Pass. And wasn't this a PSPlus title? Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how those deals work in general but for a popular title they might be a strong source of income.

In a way NMS is a great example of how to run a game as a service, even if they don't call it that. A bad example would be how Paradox charges hundreds of dollars for upgrades over the years, resulting in a lot of hurt wallets and a significant number of players not getting all of the game features that are developed -- they need to look into running their own subscription service or something.

The NMS team is still pretty small, so relatively low sales can sustain them. And even on sale, it's usually still $25-$30. No $5 sales for NMS.

Regarding Paradox, they sell niche titles that don't have the broad appeal of something like NMS. They can't really afford to rely on sales from the original game to sustain ongoing development for years. I'm curious how you think Paradox should operate given that constraint. How is a subscription service different than selling DLC?

Oct 28, 2020, 15:59
Cutter

Re: No Man's Sky Getting Free Upgrade Oct 28, 2020, 15:59
Oct 28, 2020, 15:59
 Cutter

Man are you guys gonna' be sorry you wasted your money on this or any other space game when Star Citizen comes out!!!

Oh wait...
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older