All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC

There's an interview with Phil Spencer on Gamereactor talking with the head of Xbox at Microsoft about a variety of topics (thanks PC Gamer). Along the way he confirms that all upcoming Xbox first-party games will also be coming to PC. Here's what he says:
The question that we get then is sometimes, what about this specific closed platform? And that I really mean there is we're either kind of all in or not all in on one of these closed platforms. I don't think its healthy where for every first-party game that comes out I have to get the question, is that coming to Switch or is that coming to Switch, and it not because, I love Nintendo and our relationship with what we are doing, that want us to be all in or not, and there is this expectation from customers like there is now on PC, where people don't really question - there might be some timing things, on when certain things happen - but if we are shipping a first-party game it's coming to PC. If we are shipping a first-party game on PC it's coming to Steam and our own store. Like we built an expectation from our customers. That's my goal, and then there will be, as you said, maybe little anomalies every so often and because of relationships and certain developers that want to do certain things, but my goal is: make games as playable by as many people as possible so that this art form continues to grow. And I wanna be all in on the places where Xbox is, so a customer of those platforms can have an expectation that I'm gonna get to go play. And I feel good about the games that we are building, and I feel good about that on PC. You know if I rewind five years ago, I would say over and over, that we are committed to PC and then get a bunch of eye rolls, and rightfully so for we weren't doing much. But I think now when you look at what our standing is on Steam and Game Pass on PC, we have shown that our commitment over time has paid off. PC customers may or may not love what we do, but they know that when we are shipping things, we're gonna do our best effort on PC as well as on Xbox.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC
Oct 28, 2020, 15:56
MattyC

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 15:56
Oct 28, 2020, 15:56
 MattyC

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 15:11:
Game consoles have a form factor? I did not know that.

You were unaware that consoles, home theater components, furniture designed around them etc had general physical dimensions?
"M'aiq tried to swim out to sea, but had to turn back. Slaughterfish. Always the slaughterfish."

Oct 28, 2020, 15:11
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 15:11
Oct 28, 2020, 15:11

MattyC wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 12:16:
Since there have been plenty of white consoles, I don’t think anyone was complaining about its color. It is incredibly dumb looking (I assume someone looked at one of those old Linksys “gaming” routers and yes, that, but ten times bigger!) but that doesn’t really matter. The issue is more that this is supposed to be a game console but it’s form factor is all wrong for one. I don’t need Sony’s help to put my PC next to my TV.
Game consoles have a form factor? I did not know that.
That said if it is a cooling issue then I would absolutely rather it be oversized than overheat, but considering the size of gaming capable laptops these days I don’t think that is the issue. Sony just went with form over function. That won’t kill their console or anything (no one is buying the Xbox whatever for looks either), it’s just a box ticked in the cons column for no reason.
A gaming laptop running full tilt boogie sounds like a mini turbine while doing a shitty job of cooling the components not to mention the fact that the keyboard gets hot enough to fry an egg.
Don’t like the color, paint it. Don’t like the size, go without.
I doubt looks or size are much of a deciding factor on console purchase.
The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Oct 28, 2020, 14:38
Dev

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 14:38
Oct 28, 2020, 14:38
 Dev

"You know if I rewind five years ago, I would say over and over, that we are committed to PC and then get a bunch of eye rolls, and rightfully so for we weren't doing much. But I think now when you look at what our standing is on Steam and Game Pass on PC, we have shown that our commitment over time has paid off. PC customers may or may not love what we do, but they know that when we are shipping things, we're gonna do our best effort on PC as well as on Xbox."

I'll agree there. They made decades of lies of commitment to PC. They have made some big strides. Now to see if they keep going.

Oct 28, 2020, 12:16
MattyC

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 12:16
Oct 28, 2020, 12:16
 MattyC

Since there have been plenty of white consoles, I don’t think anyone was complaining about its color. It is incredibly dumb looking (I assume someone looked at one of those old Linksys “gaming” routers and yes, that, but ten times bigger!) but that doesn’t really matter. The issue is more that this is supposed to be a game console but it’s form factor is all wrong for one. I don’t need Sony’s help to put my PC next to my TV.

That said if it is a cooling issue then I would absolutely rather it be oversized than overheat, but considering the size of gaming capable laptops these days I don’t think that is the issue. Sony just went with form over function. That won’t kill their console or anything (no one is buying the Xbox whatever for looks either), it’s just a box ticked in the cons column for no reason.
"M'aiq tried to swim out to sea, but had to turn back. Slaughterfish. Always the slaughterfish."

Oct 28, 2020, 12:12
Jivaro

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 12:12
Oct 28, 2020, 12:12
 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 11:29:
Rilcon wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 02:25:
(and personally, I hope sony loses this generation if only because the PS5 looks like a pretentious waste of space)

No one is going to care what their Playstation or Xbox looks like after the first 5 minutes. They will however notice if its loud or shutdowns due to heating issues. So I'm totally fine with the form factor and I have enough boring black boxes of electronics, one white device is not going to move the needle. As much fun as it is staring at a console I would prefer to play games on it, I'm weird like that though!

So much this.

Oct 28, 2020, 11:29
Verno

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 11:29
Oct 28, 2020, 11:29
 Verno

(and personally, I hope sony loses this generation if only because the PS5 looks like a pretentious waste of space)

No one is going to care what their Playstation or Xbox looks like after the first 5 minutes. They will however notice if its loud or shutdowns due to heating issues. So I'm totally fine with the form factor and I have enough boring black boxes of electronics, one white device is not going to move the needle. As much fun as it is staring at a console I would prefer to play games on it, I'm weird like that though!
Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula

Oct 28, 2020, 11:24
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 11:24
Oct 28, 2020, 11:24

Really? You want Sony to lose because you don't like the size / looks of the case? Rolleyes

Back on Topic:
As for Xbox games coming to PC... same complaint as everyone... Video settings, UI, Mouse, and Keyboard support in a console port usually sucks. I hate controllers which is why a PC is my 1st choice for gaming. A port that doesn't work well with a mouse and keyboard, and has the fans of said game screaming "use a controller" in the game's forums, just don't get it. If I wanted to use a controller, I'd use a fricken console in the first place.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Oct 28, 2020, 10:49
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 10:49
Oct 28, 2020, 10:49

MattyC wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 10:38:
if only because the PS5 looks like a pretentious waste of space)

Why is it so big? It is like a primary design goal was to make it too big and awkward to fit on AV shelves. I guess since so many wall mount TVs now, we are just supposed to put it in the middle of our living rooms like some sort of obelisk for Sony worship, but I kind of prefer my consoles to fit on normal shelves...

Just an educated guess here, but could it have something to do with cooling? I mean the smaller the frame, the more difficult (not to mention inefficient) the cooling solution.

Oct 28, 2020, 10:38
MattyC

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 10:38
Oct 28, 2020, 10:38
 MattyC

if only because the PS5 looks like a pretentious waste of space)

Why is it so big? It is like a primary design goal was to make it too big and awkward to fit on AV shelves. I guess since so many wall mount TVs now, we are just supposed to put it in the middle of our living rooms like some sort of obelisk for Sony worship, but I kind of prefer my consoles to fit on normal shelves...

Oct 28, 2020, 08:37
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 08:37
Oct 28, 2020, 08:37

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 08:25:
The lack of modding capability with windows store games is intentional. They absolutely do NOT want people fiddling around in them, as that same access that makes mods possible also makes cheating possible. Cross-platform, FAIR online play is their target. If their Xbox player base is suddenly flooded with cheaters, those players will think the cross-platform feature as more of a hindrance than a great way to have a larger player base. It’ll drive them to the closed ecosystem of the PlayStation.

Makes sense for the multiplayer part of a game. But makes zero sense for the singleplayer part of it. And it makes less than zero sense for single player only games.

Furthermore, storage is not the easiest way to hack a multiplayer game, most games have their multiplayer critical files protected and/or encrypted ( or are simply not local, but remote on the server only ). The easiest vector of attack is often RAM space. And their measures that prevent modding do nothing to prevent RAM space and the less used, but still storage method agnostic, network communications hacks.

It's just pure BS and excuses if that's the "reason" they gave.

Jonjonz wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 06:29:
Scew MS and their crappy dumbed down console ports:

* games without save files, just a handful of check points
* games with no more controls than the number of buttons on a gamepad
* games that are not friendly to re-mapping any controls
* games focused on mostly linear, "play the movie" style narrative
* games that absolutely can not be modded

Screw MS and their asshat poor support of Windows PC gaming:

* too dam lazy/cheap to integrate a compatibility mode that actually works for Windows games made before Win10.
* to dam lazy/cheap to integrate a front end to play MSDOS games
* to dam lazy/cheap to intigrate a built in mouse, joystick, game pad and key remapper.

All very good arguments^^

Oct 28, 2020, 08:25
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 08:25
Oct 28, 2020, 08:25

The lack of modding capability with windows store games is intentional. They absolutely do NOT want people fiddling around in them, as that same access that makes mods possible also makes cheating possible. Cross-platform, FAIR online play is their target. If their Xbox player base is suddenly flooded with cheaters, those players will think the cross-platform feature as more of a hindrance than a great way to have a larger player base. It’ll drive them to the closed ecosystem of the PlayStation.

Oct 28, 2020, 06:29
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 06:29
Oct 28, 2020, 06:29

Scew MS and their crappy dumbed down console ports:

* games without save files, just a handful of check points
* games with no more controls than the number of buttons on a gamepad
* games that are not friendly to re-mapping any controls
* games focused on mostly linear, "play the movie" style narrative
* games that absolutely can not be modded

Screw MS and their asshat poor support of Windows PC gaming:

* too dam lazy/cheap to integrate a compatibility mode that actually works for Windows games made before Win10.
* to dam lazy/cheap to integrate a front end to play MSDOS games
* to dam lazy/cheap to intigrate a built in mouse, joystick, game pad and key remapper.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Oct 28, 2020, 04:59
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 04:59
Oct 28, 2020, 04:59

I've been highly critical of Microsoft in the past, especially in the Games for Windows Live era. Most will remember the Halo 2 / Vista debacle. However, I have an Xbox One X for the kids and subscribe to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and it's got me playing a lot of those games on PC - Metro: Exodus, Wasteland 3, No Man's Sky, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, etc. And Halo: The Master Chief Collection has been a really great experience on PC. Things are a lot better than they used to be.

However, there are still annoying inconsistencies. Whilst the Halo: MCS is available on PC, Microsoft is still refusing to release Halo 5; there's no reason it shouldn't be included alongside all the other games. And the Microsoft Store DRM is still unacceptable and restricts access to modding - there is limited support for mods but it's unnecessarily restrictive. I've also had more issues with downloads and backing up games on the Microsoft Store than any other platform.

At the end of the day, PC gamers are able to play more cross-platform releases than used to be the case and the ports are generally better. But there is a lot that could and should be done to improve the experience.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Oct 28, 2020, 04:41
Wolfen

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 04:41
Oct 28, 2020, 04:41
 Wolfen

People talk about how this was to read. They are valid statements.

TEXT READABILITY CONSENSUS CALCULATOR
www.ReadabilityFormulas.com
----------------------------------------------
READABILITY CONSENSUS
Based on (7) readability formulas, we have scored your text:

Grade Level: 11
Reading Level: standard / average.
Age of Reader: 15-17 yrs. old (Tenth to Eleventh graders)

Oct 28, 2020, 04:36
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 04:36
Oct 28, 2020, 04:36

Well... The only part pissing me off is they'll probably only be on Windows's shitty ass store.

Self-modding a game on that platform is friggin' next to impossible and the total amount of mods made as a result can often be counted on one hand... or less.

Oct 28, 2020, 03:08
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 03:08
Oct 28, 2020, 03:08

I would be the last to admit that Microsoft has indeed in the past couple of years slowly shifted it's focus and improved it's policies regarding Windows PCs compared to their XBox, but I have to admit they really have. Now that their new console is coming out though, this might once again change or it might not. For once I hope this is not just more hot air.

Oct 28, 2020, 02:39
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 02:39
Oct 28, 2020, 02:39

Cough..cough...bullshit...cough, cough. Trollbashing
Ruh roh, I need to be careful about my maskless coughing, in the forums! Paperbag
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Oct 28, 2020, 02:25
Rilcon

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 02:25
Oct 28, 2020, 02:25
 Rilcon

Slick wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 01:48:
MS's policies are more consumer-centric, but I can't help but think that it will just fail vs. Sony.

"If you have a PC, then don't bother buying an xbox"

I guess they have those cross-platform games, I own a couple, but I never play them on my PC.

Well, ultimately their goal seems to be "just get gamepass", and getting gamepass on every platform under the sun is some way or another, be in physical (PC and Xbox) or streaming. Sony may well win the console hardware market, but they'll be one generation late to the "netflix for games anywhere" market.

Oct 28, 2020, 01:48
Slick

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 01:48
Oct 28, 2020, 01:48
 Slick

MS's policies are more consumer-centric, but I can't help but think that it will just fail vs. Sony.

"If you have a PC, then don't bother buying an xbox"

I guess they have those cross-platform games, I own a couple, but I never play them on my PC.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Oct 27, 2020, 23:46
Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 27, 2020, 23:46
Oct 27, 2020, 23:46

fakespyder wrote on Oct 27, 2020, 22:49:
That paragraph is painful to look at and even more painful to try to read.
Agreed.
Reminds me of this.
The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older