Apex Legends on Steam Next Month

EA announces that Apex Legends will come to Steam upon the launch of Season 7 on November 4th, offering an additional way to access Respawn Entertainment's battle royale shooter:
Apex Legends is officially coming to Steam when Season 7 launches on November 4, 2020. If you’re new to Apex Legends, we can’t wait to welcome you aboard. And if you’ve previously been playing on Origin, you can easily switch back and forth with Steam—all your account progression and unlocks will carry over between the two platforms. To celebrate the big event, Steam players will receive free exclusive Portal and Half-Life inspired gun charms for logging in during Season 7. Here’s a preview of the Steam Release Exclusive Gun Charms.

We can’t wait for you to dive into Apex Legends Season 7 on Steam. In the meantime, check out the Apex Legends-themed animated stickers and avatars that we’ve introduced to the points shop, and add Apex Legends to your Wishlist.
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month
Oct 24, 2020, 08:22
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 24, 2020, 08:22
Oct 24, 2020, 08:22

The best gaming platform keeps getting better. Looking forward to watching Loba strut in celebration.

Oct 23, 2020, 20:46
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 20:46
Oct 23, 2020, 20:46

MeanJim wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 13:39:
Rhialto wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 12:52:
Nice, goodbye Origin client. Apex was the only game I had using this client.

Don't all of the recent EA releases on Steam still require Origin?

There is this reddit post that indicates it won't need Origin, but it is a year old so things may have changed.

Oct 23, 2020, 19:00
Slick

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 19:00
Oct 23, 2020, 19:00
 Slick

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

I own Squadrons on Origin, and a Quest 2, But there's some issues getting my HOTAS to bind properly with that game, so I'm gonna wait for some bug fixes before jumping in. The VR experience is supposed to be good.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Oct 23, 2020, 17:57
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 17:57
Oct 23, 2020, 17:57

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 15:58:
Slick wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 15:28:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 15:13:
I don't believe Star Wars Squadrons does. I think you need an EA account, but it doesn't check in with Origin. And maybe the Command & Conquer remaster is the same way?

Interesting, this would be the first I've heard of it.

But I wouldn't know, I buy games from the people who made them, not middlemen who contribute nothing towards the art that has enhanced and improved my life throughout the years.

Ehhhh
Squadrons' VR mode uses SteamVR, yeah? So in that one case, it's better to have it on Steam.

I think the only difference is that for the Origin version you have to start the game from flatscreen, then go into the settings and hit the toggle for flatscreen/VR. For the SteamVR version you can just start it from inside SteamVR; if you start from flatscreen, it might also ask you to choose flatscreen/VR when you start the game.

Oct 23, 2020, 17:43
Slick

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 17:43
Oct 23, 2020, 17:43
 Slick

Shameless plug for the only Royale game that I play/enjoy:

Hyperscape 2.1 patch just went live, and added a GENEROUS amount of auto-aim in when ADSing, even on PC. So with all the crazy movement noobs seems to be less frustrated with the game now. Also there's a solo mode with free respawns for the first 5 minutes of the match live now, all with a dope Halloween theme.

If anyone from Blues ever wants to squad up, add me on Uplay: SirParcival_TV
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Oct 23, 2020, 17:41
Slick

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 17:41
Oct 23, 2020, 17:41
 Slick

RIGHT!

I forgot that Apex is running on Source.

Also, in general it's single-digit percentage of players who actually pay any money for F2P games, so any kind of paid server option would just be a ghost town. Think of the DLC days of like a Battlefield game, when each DLC pack would be populated for a month after launch, then empty forever. All the players need to have access to the same content, and especially the same servers to keep lobbies filled.

Speaking of filled lobbies, I played Apex a couple times lately with friends, it takes a little while to find a match, even unranked, looks like they've lots a sizable chunk of their playerbase, this Steam integration (although I object for purely ideological reasons) will be a good thing to keep the servers filled.

Oct 23, 2020, 17:03
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 17:03
Oct 23, 2020, 17:03

I will pay a subscription for better servers. It could be added as another incentive to purchase the seasonal Battle Pass, heck, I'd even pay a separate fee.

Let the F2P users grind away for in-game credits and loot boxes on the craptastic servers, and give 'Premium' users the option to queue into matches running on faster and more stable hardware/network/data-centres.

(assuming the inherent flaws of the Source engine can be mitigated through upgraded infrastructure)

Oct 23, 2020, 16:44
Slick

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 16:44
Oct 23, 2020, 16:44
 Slick

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 15:58:
I don't believe Star Wars Squadrons does. I think you need an EA account, but it doesn't check in with Origin. And maybe the Command & Conquer remaster is the same way?

But I wouldn't know, I buy games from the people who made them, not middlemen who contribute nothing towards the art that has enhanced and improved my life throughout the years.

Ehhhh
Squadrons' VR mode uses SteamVR, yeah? So in that one case, it's better to have it on Steam.

Wait, the Origin version doesn't have VR support? I assume it hooks fine with Steam VR. But yes, for this you'd need both DRMs at the same time

Oct 23, 2020, 15:58
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 15:58
Oct 23, 2020, 15:58

Ehhhh

Oct 23, 2020, 15:28
Slick

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 15:28
Oct 23, 2020, 15:28
 Slick

Oct 23, 2020, 15:13
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 15:13
Oct 23, 2020, 15:13

Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
Verno

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
 Verno

No idea why people feel the need to run 2x DRMs at once every time they wanna play.

The answer is that it doesn't matter, most people don't think of these things at all. The game gets a reinvigorated playerbase thanks to the massive presence of Steam and Steam derives some revenue from it, win win.
Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula

Oct 23, 2020, 14:34
Slick

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 14:34
Oct 23, 2020, 14:34
 Slick

Yes. It's been like this literally forever. Same with Uplay.

No idea why people feel the need to run 2x DRMs at once every time they wanna play. If nothing else, it just takes longer every time you want to play. You doubleclick the icon on your desktop and it has to open Steam, then open Origin. Putting aside the ethical concerns of giving a company that has zero to do with the production and maintenance of the game you want to play a sizable chunk of the earnings... it's just a worse consumer experience. The only reason this stuff exists is to cater to gamers who have decided they will only buy games from one storefront.

The Steam client doesn't even provide the bandwidth to download and patch the game, it's all through Origin in this case. Steam is acting as a payment processor, nothing more. You want a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, and instead of buying it from McDonalds, you're saying "I only buy burgers from Burger King", so you walk across the street and order your Quarter Pounder with Cheese from Burger King, and they take your money, then give you a coupon for the burger, and you have to walk back across the street to the McDonalds to get it. Burger King doesn't make the Quarter Pounder, they have nothing to do with McDonalds burgers, but they'll take your money in exchange for a shittier customer experience for you! Protip, next time just go to McDonalds for the Quarter Pounder, that's where they're made, and you won't have to walk across the street every time you want to eat.

Oct 23, 2020, 13:39
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 13:39
Oct 23, 2020, 13:39

"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Oct 23, 2020, 12:52
Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 12:52
Oct 23, 2020, 12:52

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older