Google Antitrust Suit

US Justice Department and 11 states have filed an antitrust lawsuit against Google, which BBC News notes is "the biggest challenge brought by US regulators against a major tech company in years." Here's word on this sudden recollection that there are regulations in this country to prevent monopolies:
The charges, filed in federal court, were brought by the US Department of Justice and 11 other states. The lawsuit focuses on the billions of dollars Google pays each year to ensure its search engine is installed as the default option on browsers and devices such as mobile phones.

Officials said those deals have helped secure Google's place as the "gatekeeper" to the internet, owning or controlling the channels for about 80% of search queries in the US.

"Google has thus foreclosed competition for internet search," the lawsuit said. "General search engine competitors are denied vital distribution, scale, and product recognition - ensuring they have no real chance to challenge Google."

It added: "Google is so dominant that 'Google' is not only a noun to identify the company and the Google search engine but also a verb that means to search the internet."

The case could be the first of many in the US that challenge the dominance of big tech firms and potentially lead to their break-up.

Coming just a few weeks before the US presidential election, it has also been viewed as a move by the Trump administration to prove its willingness to challenge the influence of the sector if it gains a second term.

Officials said they had not rushed the investigation to ensure it was filed before the election.

"We're acting when the facts and the law warranted," deputy attorney general Jeffrey Rosen said, adding that the department's review of competition practices in the technology sector is continuing.
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Google Antitrust Suit
Oct 20, 2020, 12:19
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 12:19
Oct 20, 2020, 12:19

So then if a company does something that's so much better than everyone else, is that company then, in the crosshairs for just being better?

Fine. Yes Google did some anti-competitive things. But its search engine is better than everyone else's. Sounds more to me that the US is mad that AskJeeves, AltaVista, Yahoo, Bing, Lycos aren't being used anymore.

Oct 20, 2020, 12:35
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 12:35
Oct 20, 2020, 12:35

Here's word on this sudden recollection that there are regulations in this country to prevent monopolies:

Blues Wit-o-meter has been off the the charts.

As Simon Says has been imploring, watch "The Social Dilemma" on netflix. It's beyond chilling.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Oct 20, 2020, 12:45
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 12:45
Oct 20, 2020, 12:45

gommerstrike wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 12:19:
So then if a company does something that's so much better than everyone else, is that company then, in the crosshairs for just being better?

Fine. Yes Google did some anti-competitive things. But its search engine is better than everyone else's. Sounds more to me that the US is mad that AskJeeves, AltaVista, Yahoo, Bing, Lycos aren't being used anymore.
Ahh, yeah, no. Doesn't work that way, sorry.

Oct 20, 2020, 12:46
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 12:46
Oct 20, 2020, 12:46

More worried about Amazon than google.

Oct 20, 2020, 12:57
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 12:57
Oct 20, 2020, 12:57

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 12:46:
More worried about Amazon than google.

Like what do you call a dead lawyer joke... It's a good start.

Oct 20, 2020, 12:59
Dev
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 12:59
Oct 20, 2020, 12:59
Dev

I think google is prepared for this and has had discussions about it, they've already re-orged to alphabet with google being one branch.
That's very likely going to be their fallback position "well split us up if you want, we are already set for it."
I'm sure they will argue a lot for years before getting to that point however.

Oct 20, 2020, 13:09
El Pit

Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 13:09
Oct 20, 2020, 13:09
 El Pit

So, is it safe to say that Donald has lots of Apple but no Google shares?
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Oct 20, 2020, 13:11
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 13:11
Oct 20, 2020, 13:11

gommerstrike wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 12:19:

Yes, because data-raping people out the ass without their knowledge or consent and gaming the market to try to be a monopoly is perfectly acceptable behavior. ALL big tech needs to be reigned in and put on a leash. Way past time for anti-trust to make a big comeback.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Oct 20, 2020, 13:13
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 13:13
Oct 20, 2020, 13:13

While I am all for government oversight on big businesses and potential abuses, I feel like Google is more popular because it is in fact one of the best search engines. I've tried others on many occasions and they just aren't as good at giving back decent results. If anything, I would prefer they look into their Youtube management. There seems to be more problems there.
"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

Oct 20, 2020, 13:23
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 13:23
Oct 20, 2020, 13:23

Blue linked an article yesterday about Google's search results getting worse.

The only time I get thrown for a loop is when I use a customers pc and they've defaulted to Bing.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Oct 20, 2020, 13:29
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 13:29
Oct 20, 2020, 13:29

If the government doesn’t want people to sell search engine defaults. Simply make it illegal. How can you sue the person that paid the highest price for it? Stupid.
DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

Oct 20, 2020, 14:13
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 14:13
Oct 20, 2020, 14:13

Solemn-Philosopher wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 13:13:
While I am all for government oversight on big businesses and potential abuses, I feel like Google is more popular because it is in fact one of the best search engines. I've tried others on many occasions and they just aren't as good at giving back decent results. If anything, I would prefer they look into their Youtube management. There seems to be more problems there.
These companies that offer free services are using their services as trojan horses into your personal behavior data. Google is leveraging their monopoly in search to gain more insights into you purchasing, politics, health, etc. Remember, google also has Android, Gmail, hardware (like wifi routers), etc. They leverage every part of their ecosystem to control you. Google does make some fantastic products, but all of this baggage comes with it whether we like it or not.

I find it interesting that the suit is for search specifically since all of Google's services are symbiotic. It all exists to work together for a common outcome.

Oct 20, 2020, 14:26
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 14:26
Oct 20, 2020, 14:26

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 14:13:
These companies that offer free services are using their services as trojan horses into your personal behavior data. Google is leveraging their monopoly in search to gain more insights into you purchasing, politics, health, etc. Remember, google also has Android, Gmail, hardware (like wifi routers), etc. They leverage every part of their ecosystem to control you. Google does make some fantastic products, but all of this baggage comes with it where we like it or not.

I find it interesting that the suit is for search specifically since all of Google's services are symbiotic. It all exists to work together for a common outcome.

While I don't disagree with you, privacy doesn't seem to be the main focus here. It is their monopoly of the search engine and being a gatekeeper of the Internet. It seems to be the American government (and possibly the Trump administration) arguing that, by controlling 80% of searches, Google can steer searches in a way that may not be fair.
"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

Oct 20, 2020, 14:51
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 14:51
Oct 20, 2020, 14:51

I highly suspect that the fact that they are only focusing on "search" and this has been filed by the DoJ si because, Donnie Two-Tone is under the impression that all the negative searches that Google is producing is some kind of intentional bias, when in fact, it's just reality. Is there merit here? Probably, somewhere, but when you're excluding Amazon, Facebook, Disney, and any other number of mega-conglomerates it seems arbitrary and capricious.

Oct 20, 2020, 14:56
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 14:56
Oct 20, 2020, 14:56

[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 13:29:
If the government doesn’t want people to sell search engine defaults. Simply make it illegal. How can you sue the person that paid the highest price for it? Stupid.
It depends on what, if any, conditions are applied to that purchase of default search engine. If they pulled an Intel and made it so that no other search engine could be set as the default in any browser installed onto said company's devices (phones, laptops, PCs, tablets, etc.) by the company they paid for this, then there will be some trouble for Alphabet's Google division, just as there was for Intel when they got caught making kneecapping agreements with PC and laptop builders. That would be on top of any discovery of search result shenanigans that put Google's chosen results at the top of the list, should that be happening as well.

Oct 20, 2020, 15:02
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 15:02
Oct 20, 2020, 15:02

I would like to see zero agenda in Google and FB. It's not good for anyone, regardless of political affiliation nor social stances.

The amount of damage done to the US in the first week alone has to have China and Russia laughing at us.

Oct 20, 2020, 15:53
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 15:53
Oct 20, 2020, 15:53

So some of you are ok when you do a search to have to go to the 2nd or third page to find what you are actually searching for because all the paid actors are getting priority? Irritates me. For me, anti-trust has not been addressed by the last 3 or 4 administrations, it is making commerce anti-competitive. Breaking all the big tech up would be healthy for the country.

Oct 20, 2020, 16:16
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 16:16
Oct 20, 2020, 16:16

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 15:02:
I would like to see zero agenda in Google and FB. It's not good for anyone, regardless of political affiliation nor social stances.

I find that, usually, people claiming there's an agenda confuse having an agenda with adhering to the TOS.

Oct 20, 2020, 16:17
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 16:17

The big concern here is China.

What is worse for the American people? Having Google, Facebook, et al, be as big and obnoxious as they are, or having them be split up, and a Chinese competitor fill the void by not being split, therefore having all the economic power of the old entities and being able to squash the new entities?

Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 16:17

Right and Amazon is the best at what they do. Bell Labs was once upon a time as well.
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer