Out of the Blue

We had a second walk on that trail I mentioned last week. It doesn't seem appropriate to call this a hike, as this is converted from an old rail line, so it's straight, fairly level, and even paved. It is still a very pleasant walk through the woods, and the paved surface is suited to cycling, which has me considering the possibility of getting a bicycle (I've never had any interest in trying to share a road with cars on one). We are taking this trail in stages, as at 12+ miles, it's too long to take in a day, especially since it's not a loop, so it would actually require going 25 miles back and forth to complete in one go. So last week we walked the first few miles and then back again. This week we picked up where we left off and did the same thing. Next time may be more complicated, as there didn't seem to be any parking near where we last left off, but we'll work it out somehow, even if it means re-walking some of the ground we already covered.

Eurogamer notes today is the 10th anniversary of the release of Fallout New Vegas. We don't have a logo to commemorate that, but we do have one for No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. Yesterday was the 18th anniversary of the EU release of Monolith's spy shooter which followed about three weeks after its launch in North America. The original logo is by Walter "2" Costinak, and it first appeared here on September 30, 2002. Thank you to Steve for updating it for our current format.

No One Rounds-up Forever
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Cate Archer
Oct 25, 2020, 22:34
Ant

Cate Archer Oct 25, 2020, 22:34
Oct 25, 2020, 22:34
 Ant

El Pit wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 02:41:
Cate Archer - PLEASE COME BACK! We need you!!!
I agree.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Re: Out of the Blue - Television
Oct 20, 2020, 07:15
Re: Out of the Blue - Television Oct 20, 2020, 07:15
Oct 20, 2020, 07:15

In the last year or so, shows like those described in the article, have become increasingly full of gratuitous ultra bloody body violence.

I have stopped going to that coliseum.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 20, 2020, 02:41
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2020, 02:41
Oct 20, 2020, 02:41
 El Pit

Cate Archer - PLEASE COME BACK! We need you!!!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Oct 19, 2020, 20:21
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 20:21
Oct 19, 2020, 20:21

blue if you're interested in bikes, check out a youtube channel called kevcentral. he's a bike focused channel focusing mainly on value bikes from big box stores, reviewing them and then modifying them. the main takeaway is, stay away from the bottom of the barrel bikes - they'll fall apart on you in no time, and if you're gonna stick with this hiking/biking thing like it sounds, get something decent.

Oct 19, 2020, 20:15
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 20:15
Oct 19, 2020, 20:15

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 13:50:
The number of people convinced COVID-19 is a scam/lie/hoax/alien conspiracy is sobering and frightening. History is rife with people with crazy ideas, but never has there been a point in human history where they've had a microphone as big as the Internet to spread their noise on something as big as a pandemic. All I can say is misinformation is a weapon of mass destruction. One can only hope those of sound mind outnumber the insane.

Part of the problem is that content like this is promoted 6 times more on social medias due to AI algorithms farming for more clicks and engagement time by getting people into what they call "rabbit holes". The programmers who wrote the base AI algorithms said it themselves, truth is boring and doesn't sell as well.

The game is rigged, this kind of thing makes them money and the corps/shareholders don't care about any of the consequences, trading people's valuable time and sometimes even lives in the case of C-19 for more $$$.

To know more, watch the Netflix documentary "The Social Dilemma".

Oct 19, 2020, 19:02
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 19:02
Oct 19, 2020, 19:02
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 18:37:
Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 12:19:
Yes, I really appreciate the recycling of the old logos. It's fun! And yes, it's sad we can get a new, proper NOLF game.

What if a Pill Can Change Your Politics or Religious Beliefs?

Hah, I figured they were talking psychedelics. I always enjoyed psilocybin a lot but it wasn't powerful enough to make deep philosophical changes. LSD on the other hand can - and does - do that quite easily.

Cutter has a history of experimenting with psychedelics? I would not have predicted that.

Experimenting? Not so much as heavily abusing. Beatnik
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Re: Television Like 'The Boys' Is Destroying You. Thanks RedEye9.
Oct 19, 2020, 18:46
Re: Television Like 'The Boys' Is Destroying You. Thanks RedEye9. Oct 19, 2020, 18:46
Oct 19, 2020, 18:46

fakespyder wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 17:55:
I haven't seen season 2 but season 1 was great. Well, up until the predictable end plot-twist which most people could see coming a mile away. But overall a refreshing take on the 'Gods among us' trope.

off topic: Did anyone else have The Last Starfighter theme stuck in their head all day yesterday

Haven't watched S2, but it's on my list. Looking forward to it after enjoying S1.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 19, 2020, 18:41
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 18:41
Oct 19, 2020, 18:41
 Prez

Is the sky still falling? I'm going back to bed.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 19, 2020, 18:38
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 18:38
Oct 19, 2020, 18:38

Cate Archer is a babe. Yeah, baby!
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 19, 2020, 18:37
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 18:37

Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 12:19:
Yes, I really appreciate the recycling of the old logos. It's fun! And yes, it's sad we can get a new, proper NOLF game.

What if a Pill Can Change Your Politics or Religious Beliefs?

Hah, I figured they were talking psychedelics. I always enjoyed psilocybin a lot but it wasn't powerful enough to make deep philosophical changes. LSD on the other hand can - and does - do that quite easily.

Cutter has a history of experimenting with psychedelics? I would not have predicted that.

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 18:37

The Flying Penguin wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 14:14:
The number of people convinced COVID-19 is a scam/lie/hoax/alien conspiracy is sobering and frightening. History is rife with people with crazy ideas, but never has there been a point in human history where they've had a microphone as big as the Internet to spread their noise on something as big as a pandemic. All I can say is misinformation is a weapon of mass destruction. One can only hope those of sound mind outnumber the insane.

You know how one of the common plots in Sci Fi novels about populating the stars, is people united by a religious or fringe idea all get together and build a colony ship and go start a new planet?

The time is overdue. Elon, can we get some help here?
The problem is that wherever you go, there you are. You can't take the humanity out of humanity. Unless you're an AI, in which case I apologize.

Oct 19, 2020, 18:35
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 18:35
Oct 19, 2020, 18:35

Well-spoken. The sad truth is that misinformation spreads six times more quickly than the truth online. Not sure what to do about that, except stay vigilant and try to correct the bad stuff.

Television Like 'The Boys' Is Destroying You. Thanks RedEye9.
Oct 19, 2020, 17:55
Television Like 'The Boys' Is Destroying You. Thanks RedEye9. Oct 19, 2020, 17:55
Oct 19, 2020, 17:55

I haven't seen season 2 but season 1 was great. Well, up until the predictable end plot-twist which most people could see coming a mile away. But overall a refreshing take on the 'Gods among us' trope.

off topic: Did anyone else have The Last Starfighter theme stuck in their head all day yesterday

Oct 19, 2020, 16:38
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 16:38
Oct 19, 2020, 16:38

MrBone wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 12:11:
The Boys took a nose-dive in quality this season. Sad. It was very promising in the first season.

They are so far off the content from the original comics that they might as well just have called it something else, it doesn't even make sense a few episodes into season 2, where I quit watching. The core premise/plot line of the comics is gone.

Oct 19, 2020, 16:33
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 16:33
Oct 19, 2020, 16:33
 Beamer

You've repeatedly said that you don't care about politics, because politics are the kingdom of man and you live in the kingdom of God (no need to correct, I'm paraphrasing your scripture from memory and know it's off.)

But the COVID-19 scam/lie/conspiracy is a political problem.

Perhaps you're more impacted by politics than you've repeatedly claimed?

Oct 19, 2020, 16:03
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 16:03
Oct 19, 2020, 16:03

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 15:16:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 14:16:
History is rife with people with crazy ideas
Yep -- including some you espouse.

I would preferably not get into that here. You guys have made it abundantly, and I might add vitriolically clear there is zero interest. It is foolish for me to continue sharing information with people who are hostile towards such information. Jesus said in Matthew 7:6, "do not throw your pearls before swine," illustrating that it is unwise to share spiritual things with those who have no appreciation for it. I believe that's practical wisdom for many applications, not just spiritual things.
Thanks for playing.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 19, 2020, 15:44
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 15:44
Oct 19, 2020, 15:44

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 15:15:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 15:10:
I have written off humanity as a lost cause. I'm just going to enjoy myself until I die, whenever that might be.
Not everyone is this dumb, just his rally supporters.
I hope.

No, we're dumb as a species. Were we not, we'd already be midway through tackling climate change, we'd have solved homelessness, we would have universal healthcare, and we would have exponentially closed the wealth gap.

We're fucked. Things will coast along and only trend slightly downwards in our lifetimes. After that, shit is really going to hit the fan as decades of bad global policy hit the human race full force right in the face. We're not going to get off this rock in any significant numbers and we sure as Hell aren't going to escape the solar system.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Oct 19, 2020, 15:41
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 15:41
Oct 19, 2020, 15:41
 Kxmode

, but never has there been a point in human history where they've had a microphone as big as the Internet to spread their noise on something as big as a pandemic. All I can say is misinformation is a weapon of mass destruction. One can only hope those of sound mind outnumber the insane.
The Internet makes it easier/faster to spread, that I'll agree with. I'm not sure which are more numerous the sane or the insane -- but it is going to continue to be a rough ride for a long time.

Agreed. It took four years for people to return to normalcy after the 1918 Spanish Flu. Back then, most people had a genuine fear of group gatherings long after the virus subsided. Not so today. With the mindset today, it will likely be about double the Spanish flu; 6-8 years. I believe the FDA may make Regeneron's COVID-19 antibody cocktail available as a temporary emergency use measure for those in ICUs to decrease hospital capacity because of the numbers reaching exponential critical mass long before the vaccine is ready. I don't believe the companies rushing a vaccine through are thinking of flu-shot quality. An annualized SARS-CoV-2 vaccine will probably take 5-10 years based on what medical scientists have stated is a reasonable timeline for most vaccines.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 19, 2020, 15:19
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 15:19
Oct 19, 2020, 15:19
 Kxmode

The Flying Penguin wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 14:14:

You know how one of the common plots in Sci Fi novels about populating the stars, is people united by a religious or fringe idea all get together and build a colony ship and go start a new planet?

The time is overdue. Elon, can we get some help here?

That's his stated goal with SpaceX. "For Musk personally, though, a successful mission would be something of a culmination of his efforts to build a viable private space company. Musk founded SpaceX in 2002 (two years before he joined electric car company Tesla) with the goal of eventually building more affordable spacecraft that would make it possible to one day reach and colonize Mars."
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 19, 2020, 15:16
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 15:16
Oct 19, 2020, 15:16
 Kxmode

History is rife with people with crazy ideas
Yep -- including some you espouse.

I would preferably not get into that here. You guys have made it abundantly, and I might add vitriolically clear there is zero interest. It is foolish for me to continue sharing information with people who are hostile towards such information. Jesus said in Matthew 7:6, "do not throw your pearls before swine," illustrating that it is unwise to share spiritual things with those who have no appreciation for it. I believe that's practical wisdom for many applications, not just spiritual things.
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older