Out of the Blue

We took a drive yesterday to see the autumnal leaves and learn more about our area. MrsBlue picked a direction at random, and this couldn't have worked out better. Though we live conveniently close to all the shopping and services one could ask for, we're also amazingly close to farmland, truly the best of both worlds. Yesterdays joyride took us past a bunch of farms, and the sightseeing was amazing. Along the way we passed a cute looking farm stand and a very promising looking BBQ joint, so we stopped at each on the way back. We picked up some interesting items at the stand and took home our supper from the BBQ. The food was genuinely outstanding, and we both agreed it was the best we've ever had north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Tasty Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 23, 2020, 17:08
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2020, 17:08
Oct 23, 2020, 17:08

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 08:06:
LordSteev wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 03:24:
For those who still take the time to read novels, I'll heartily second this! Neal Stephenson is just fantastic. Still think Snow Crash is my favorite, but that may be more due to my own limitations than Stephenson's writing.
I need to get around to giving him another chance, tried Snow Crash and didn't get far. Try something else (don't remember what) and again didn't get far. But both times were a long time ago...
The urge hit me and I sat down and read Snow Crash. I suspect the intervening 28 years haven't been kind to it. It was okay. If it was the first book of a trilogy, I wouldn't bother reading books two and three. The Sumerian mythology was a tough read, probably more than I could have handled 28 years ago, although as deep into the novel as it appears I might have pushed through it. All in all, definitely disappointing.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 19, 2020, 17:00
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 17:00
Oct 19, 2020, 17:00

I loved The Last Starfighter when I was a kid, and yes it was pretty cheesey. However the core plot remains about as viable, if not more so, today, than in the 80s. Kid plays video games and excels at said video game, surprise it was a test from an alien civilization to be a space fighter pilot! That would sell as well today or better than it did back in the day, video games are much more a part of life now.

That said, fuck remakes and sequels that are separated by 30+ years, almost always. Nostalgia cash grabs.

Oct 19, 2020, 14:38
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 14:38
Oct 19, 2020, 14:38

"Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada."

Oh man, I loved that movie. Incidentally, I re-watched it a couple years ago and I still highly enjoyed it. Yeah, it can be a little cheesy at times, but it was still a fun-filled nostalgia fest, and it has a bunch of good messages that hold up.

I'm sure any sequel/remake would butcher all of it.

Oct 19, 2020, 13:37
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 13:37
Oct 19, 2020, 13:37

My opinions on The Last Starfighter are the same as Explorers and Flight of the Navigator. I enjoyed them all quite a bit as a kid, and watched them multiple times growing up. They're great as kid's movies, but even then I recognized they were kind of cheesy and clunky at times. I imagine it's the same way Gen Z thinks of Power Rangers. With the bar relatively low, I think a remake/sequel could surpass the original.

Oct 19, 2020, 09:34
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 09:34
Oct 19, 2020, 09:34

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 14:02:
Blue
Beef, pork or chicken.
Sliced, ribs or shredded?
Potato salad, beans, cole slaw, mac n cheese or cobbler.
We need details!

Pork, pulled w/Carolina-style vinegar sauce for me.
Ribs, dry-rubbed for MrsBlue.
Smoked wings, shared.
Potato Salad, cole slawX2, greens.

Divine.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Oct 19, 2020, 08:16
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 08:16
Oct 19, 2020, 08:16

The recollections here of the Last Starfighter are far more complimentary than I would have expected. I only saw it once and obviously a long time ago but I recall it as being pretty mediocre and somewhat clunky. I recall a distinct, very stereotypical 80s vibe. I can't recall ever seeing it being rebrodcast on any of my available channels -- although I assume it must have been at least a couple of times....

Oct 19, 2020, 08:06
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 08:06
Oct 19, 2020, 08:06

LordSteev wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 03:24:
For those who still take the time to read novels, I'll heartily second this! Neal Stephenson is just fantastic. Still think Snow Crash is my favorite, but that may be more due to my own limitations than Stephenson's writing.
I need to get around to giving him another chance, tried Snow Crash and didn't get far. Try something else (don't remember what) and again didn't get far. But both times were a long time ago...

Re: Out of the Blue - Without Crowd Noise
Oct 19, 2020, 06:56
Re: Out of the Blue - Without Crowd Noise Oct 19, 2020, 06:56
Oct 19, 2020, 06:56

I knew there had to be some real science behind "The Voice" as depicted by Frank Herbert in his Dune novels.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Oct 19, 2020, 03:31
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 03:31
Oct 19, 2020, 03:31

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 01:31:
"Last Starfighter" Sequel Chances Look Good.

I loved the first movie, but it was a complete story. I really don't feel it needs a sequel. And those movies that have brought people back decades later for sequels have all been mediocre at best.

Ayup. I still go back and watch it from time to time. It was one of the first movies that creeped me out [Android in bed scene.], had amazing [then. Old resolutions covered up A LOT] CGI, a relatable story on a variety of levels, and so on.

And yeah, you're right. They've been mining these 80's IPs to try to rekindle something, but have been doing a garbage job of it, because I don't think they really get why they were popular.

Oct 19, 2020, 03:24
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 03:24
Oct 19, 2020, 03:24

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 01:27:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 23:11:
Guys... it's about so much more than "addictions"... Just watch it.

I just finished it, nothing truly new for me; disinformation for profit, hopefully everybody has known this for years, of course few do. The real kicker is of course no one has a good answer for how to remove this cancer from our society, too much money involved, and zero reason for anybody to morally step in and do anything about it, as though any leaders had morals. Every day I am increasingly glad I don't have any children to be utterly destroyed by humanity and its technology.

I suggest you read Neal Stephenson's excellent novel (all of his work is great, of course) Fall; or, Dodge in Hell , it touches a little bit on the increasingly likely future of the USA, as far as widespread misinformation basically destroying society as we know it. It also gets into some science fiction VR stuff, but that's less relevant to this thread of course.

Oct 19, 2020, 01:31
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 01:31
Oct 19, 2020, 01:31

"Last Starfighter" Sequel Chances Look Good.

I loved the first movie, but it was a complete story. I really don't feel it needs a sequel. And those movies that have brought people back decades later for sequels have all been mediocre at best.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 19, 2020, 01:27
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 01:27
Oct 19, 2020, 01:27

Simon Says wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 23:11:

I just finished it, nothing truly new for me; disinformation for profit, hopefully everybody has known this for years, of course few do. The real kicker is of course no one has a good answer for how to remove this cancer from our society, too much money involved, and zero reason for anybody to morally step in and do anything about it, as though any leaders had morals. Every day I am increasingly glad I don't have any children to be utterly destroyed by humanity and its technology.

I suggest you read Neal Stephenson's excellent novel (all of his work is great, of course) Fall; or, Dodge in Hell , it touches a little bit on the increasingly likely future of the USA, as far as widespread misinformation basically destroying society as we know it. It also gets into some science fiction VR stuff, but that's less relevant to this thread of course.

Oct 18, 2020, 23:11
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 23:11
Oct 18, 2020, 23:11

Oct 18, 2020, 22:50
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 22:50
Oct 18, 2020, 22:50

Simon Says wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 21:29:
Just watched documentary "The Social Dilemma"... Goddamn... I'm gonna change my habits.

Watch it if you haven't already.

"Hehe, I'm nothing like these suckers" I think, as I check Bluesnews for the 8th time today, sometimes reading (but never posting or using an account!) Reddit Division 2 posts, as I approach 800 hours played in Division 2... oh shit.

I'm pretty sure I have non-social media addiction, video games have had me since I was like... 10? 8 maybe? If I had been born more recently, I could easily see myself falling into the social media/Twitter/Facebook/Whatever trap. I know various games with the slot-machine / skinner-box mechanic tend to get me for hundreds of hours, and it definitely feels like it has gotten worse for me personally since Covid-19, as I can't do a lot of the socially oriented exercise I used to do in 2019 and earlier. My streaming media usage and video game playing has got to be WAY up in 2020.

To a certain extent, I wonder if it would even matter if I totally swore off all social media, video games, streaming video, etc. The rest of the human race is already fully addicted. Is it better to be the last uninfected human alive, as shown so well in the Invasion of the Body Snatchers ( the original), for a movie reference?

Maybe once global war breaks out in a year or two, enough nukes will go off to EMP social media off the planet for awhile. On second though, nah, they will probably have enough hardened servers to stay up through anything.

*EDIT* Typo.

Oct 18, 2020, 21:55
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 21:55
Oct 18, 2020, 21:55

Simon Says wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 21:29:
Just watched documentary "The Social Dilemma"... Goddamn... I'm gonna change my habits.

*meh* Maybe the next time I restart my Netflix subscription I'll watch it. I'm sure there are some details about things the companies have done which I don't specifically know about, but change my habits? I sincerely doubt it would lead to me doing that -- because I'm one of the outliers.

I've have never logged into Facebook or any of the major social platforms. This forum here on Blue's is the most social on-line activity I participate in. I go days without sending a text or having a call on my phone. I've never even logged into an email application on my phone. I've never downloaded an application on my phone. Don't get me wrong, I know I am still tracked. Hell, even if you never log onto a computer you get tracked. I get coupons from my grocery store based on my purchases, this despite the fact I have never used their tracking tag. However I do use my credit card, which is enough. It is tempting to pay cash to avoid that, but it is simply too much of a hassle, although I do use cash for most any in-person purchase under $50. Although has been reduced some by businesses requiring cashless payment due to either CV or the "coin shortage".

And seeing as how I have used ad-blockers basically since they became available, I've always been a bit baffled by the fact any company makes money off Internet advertisements. But again, I am an outlier. *shrug*

Oct 18, 2020, 21:29
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 21:29
Oct 18, 2020, 21:29

Oct 18, 2020, 20:13
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 20:13
Oct 18, 2020, 20:13

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 14:47:
Greetings Starfighter.....

About time.

(edit: my bad)

right??! that movie was way better than it had any right to be. it was just supposed to be a cheap star wars knock off, but instead we got a movie about hope and brotherhood and becoming better than our circumstances. i love it to death but i'll be surprised if the sequel is anywhere near as good. almost feels accidental it was that good.

Oct 18, 2020, 19:44
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 19:44
Oct 18, 2020, 19:44

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 19:38:
Wow did the Pack ever suck wind today. I'm almost done with watching football. The really need to drop the politics. Beyond that the amount of advertising now is just fucking insane. Between every play it's fucking ads now. I'll hop around several channels with different games on and see nothing but fucking ads. And the NFL wonders why it's dying.
DirecTV Redzone -- the only way to watch live NFL action. It is not cheap though. Otherwise you are better off recording it and watching later, or simply waiting for the condensed games on the NFL channel during the following week...

Oct 18, 2020, 19:38
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 19:38
Oct 18, 2020, 19:38
 Cutter

Wow did the Pack ever suck wind today. I'm almost done with watching football. The really need to drop the politics. Beyond that the amount of advertising now is just fucking insane. Between every play it's fucking ads now. I'll hop around several channels with different games on and see nothing but fucking ads. And the NFL wonders why it's dying.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Oct 18, 2020, 19:34
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 19:34
Oct 18, 2020, 19:34

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 17:41:
Neil deGrasse Tyson said
space rock 2018VP1 could hit us the day before the election but isn't big enough to do any damage.
Saw the headlines, but the "best" source was the New York Post, so I figured it was a chicken little story...
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older