20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps.
Oct 20, 2020, 02:26
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 20, 2020, 02:26
Oct 20, 2020, 02:26

MeanJim wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 02:12:
J wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 10:01:
Okay, could someone clarify?

wtf_man replied stating that there's privacy apps and regedit.

Then, later on, MeanJim talks of settings which can turn it off, which jacobvandy and Zanderat1 confirm.

Are the options clear in the settings? Why do privacy apps need to alter something that's in the settings?

Go to the Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, Advanced options. Turn off "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows" and "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update."

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 12:43:
MeanJim wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 00:23:
I just both Windows and Linux (since '94), and to be fair, dumping hundreds of config files in /etc isn't any less clunky than the Windows registry. It's basically the way Windows 3 did things.

What distro are you running that has "hundreds" of .conf files in /etc? I just checked and the distro on my desktop has 19 (Manjaro). Compare that to a Windows registry entry count. Pretty much everything not Gentoo or Devuan (or some other anachronistic, throwback distro like Devuan) are using systemd which has replaced much of what /etc used to contain. Even so, the amount of systemd unit files is exponentially less than the entries in Windows' registry while also being easy to read and quick to modify if necessary. Then all I have to is restart the service. I don't have to reboot the whole machine.

I'm running Linux Mint 20, and it has over 2000 files in /etc and its sub directories. Not all files that contain settings are .conf files. Then you have the config files in your home directory (.local/, .config/, .whatever). And before you say something like "every file in /etc doesn't need to be edited by the user," neither does every entry in the registry. And you don't have to reboot a Windows machine after editing the registry, just like Linux you can restart system services or restart the program.

I'm not bashing Linux, I'm just being honest. Windows has it's problems, and so does Linux. When software plays by the rules/standards, it's just as easy to find settings in the Windows registry as it is on Linux. When software doesn't play by the rules, then on either system you have to play the "where's that config file" game.

I have thousands and thousands upon configs. I've also been using Linux about twelve years less than Windows and I still think the registry is a nightmare to navigate as compared to finding a configuration file.

Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps.
Oct 19, 2020, 14:20
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 19, 2020, 14:20
Oct 19, 2020, 14:20

MeanJim wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 02:12:
Go to the Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, Advanced options. Turn off "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows" and "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update."
To be fair, this setting should be off by default (I can't remember if it actually is or not, but I'm guessing not). Aside from a system error where it can't be helped, Windows should never, ever, under any circumstances, ever automatically reboot without your express permission. Ever. As such, manually enabling this setting would be considered "express permission".

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Oct 19, 2020, 14:19
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 19, 2020, 14:19
Oct 19, 2020, 14:19

WaltC wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 17:49:
wtf_man wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 17:26:
Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps.

Well... if you don't use one of the many privacy Apps out there (Of which you are crazy not to) to turn this crap off...

1. Type regedit then hit Enter.
2. Go to the follow Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
3. Create a new key inside the Windows key. Right-click the Windows key and choose New > Hit Key. Name the new key CloudContent.
4. Create a new value inside that new key. Right-click the CloudContent key and select New > Select DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new value DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures.
5. Double-click the new DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures value to open its properties window. Change the value from 0 to 1 in the Value data box and then click OK.
6. Restart your computer.

Another registry entry:
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager
2. Double click or tap on SilentInstalledAppsEnabled registry value to edit it, and set its value data to 0 to disable and turn off silent apps install.

EDIT: Posted this after "J"... not defending anything... just trying to help. I Dispise Windows 10 spyware and consumer crap as much as anyone.

No need to defend your post--it's a good post and it might actually help someone. Yes, indeed, and in Group Policy I have disabled automatic device-driver installations--I do it all manually. It's really amazing how powerful an OS like Win10 is when people actually take a bit of time to learn how it works--but some folks like to complain so that's what they do. I've also disabled everything I don't want running in my environment--the so-called "spyware" all has an off switch, believe it or not. It reminds me of how silly some people were a few years ago complaining about "default settings" in browser software--as if you can't change default settings, or as if it's just "too hard" to learn how things work. Some folks just love to wallow in ignorance--darned if I can figure out why. It doesn't pay.

Next it will be, "Why do I have to hit the pwr button to turn it on? Why doesn't it *know* what I want? Waaaaa...." I have no sympathy for that sort of an attitude. It gets people nowhere fast.
Ignorance indeed. The vast majority of Win 10 users have the Home version, which... *drumroll* ...doesn't include the Group Policy editor (whether they have the knowledge to use it or not).

Oct 19, 2020, 11:28
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 19, 2020, 11:28
Oct 19, 2020, 11:28

wtf_man wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 11:08:

Then, later on, MeanJim talks of settings which can turn it off, which jacobvandy and Zanderat1 confirm.

Are the options clear in the settings? Why do privacy apps need to alter something that's in the settings?

A few things...

Some earlier builds won't let you turn off certain things... some later build won't let you turn off certain things.
Some settings are buried and not intuitively labeled.
Setting set via local policy or registry within the policy area pretty much ensures your settings won't get changed (reset) from a new build.

To easily set all the nasty things you don't want turned on by default... one of the privacy apps out there will quickly get a majority of these settings configurable from one app. I have tried quite a few of them but I fins myself always coming back the the German W10 Privacy App It is well maintained and keeps up with the new builds. That said there are several other good ones out there... just google privacy apps for windows 10.
Thanks a lot WTF_Man. I've copied that info to my "keeping" place.

As eRe4s3r stated, the overwhelming majority of Windows users have no idea about settings and the registry, much less privacy or security.
Nor would they ever think that their PC would reboot by itself, causing them to lose data, if they go afk for a minute to make a cuppa char.
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal

Oct 19, 2020, 11:08
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 19, 2020, 11:08
Oct 19, 2020, 11:08

A few things...

Some earlier builds won't let you turn off certain things... some later build won't let you turn off certain things.
Some settings are buried and not intuitively labeled.
Setting set via local policy or registry within the policy area pretty much ensures your settings won't get changed (reset) from a new build.

To easily set all the nasty things you don't want turned on by default... one of the privacy apps out there will quickly get a majority of these settings configurable from one app. I have tried quite a few of them but I fins myself always coming back the the German W10 Privacy App It is well maintained and keeps up with the new builds. That said there are several other good ones out there... just google privacy apps for windows 10.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Oct 19, 2020, 05:56
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 19, 2020, 05:56
Oct 19, 2020, 05:56

Because 90% of people are computer illiterate ... probably more than that...

Oct 19, 2020, 02:12
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 19, 2020, 02:12
Oct 19, 2020, 02:12

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 12:43:
I just both Windows and Linux (since '94), and to be fair, dumping hundreds of config files in /etc isn't any less clunky than the Windows registry. It's basically the way Windows 3 did things.

What distro are you running that has "hundreds" of .conf files in /etc? I just checked and the distro on my desktop has 19 (Manjaro). Compare that to a Windows registry entry count. Pretty much everything not Gentoo or Devuan (or some other anachronistic, throwback distro like Devuan) are using systemd which has replaced much of what /etc used to contain. Even so, the amount of systemd unit files is exponentially less than the entries in Windows' registry while also being easy to read and quick to modify if necessary. Then all I have to is restart the service. I don't have to reboot the whole machine.

I'm running Linux Mint 20, and it has over 2000 files in /etc and its sub directories. Not all files that contain settings are .conf files. Then you have the config files in your home directory (.local/, .config/, .whatever). And before you say something like "every file in /etc doesn't need to be edited by the user," neither does every entry in the registry. And you don't have to reboot a Windows machine after editing the registry, just like Linux you can restart system services or restart the program.

I'm not bashing Linux, I'm just being honest. Windows has it's problems, and so does Linux. When software plays by the rules/standards, it's just as easy to find settings in the Windows registry as it is on Linux. When software doesn't play by the rules, then on either system you have to play the "where's that config file" game.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Oct 18, 2020, 12:43
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 18, 2020, 12:43
Oct 18, 2020, 12:43

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Oct 18, 2020, 10:01
J
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 18, 2020, 10:01
Oct 18, 2020, 10:01
J

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Oct 18, 2020, 08:31
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 18, 2020, 08:31
Oct 18, 2020, 08:31

The Verge writer is an idiot. There are settings that literally turn off/control what he is complaining about. For example, you can turn off updates to MS products and you can turn off forced restarts. If he lost work, it is his fault.

Oct 18, 2020, 02:09
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 18, 2020, 02:09
Oct 18, 2020, 02:09

Yeah, I didn't get that on either of my Win10 machines. Also, the title of the article is misleading, no apps were installed on the author's machine, just shortcuts to some MS web apps. There are two options in the settings for updates that any idiot can turn off that disables receiving updates for other MS products and disables automatically restarting, there is no need to edit the registry.

That's the crux of it, the author is an idiot and a drama queen. I don't expect any less from The Verge.

Oct 18, 2020, 00:23
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 18, 2020, 00:23
Oct 18, 2020, 00:23

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 22:39:
J wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 17:21:
Any Windows 10 champions going to defend this one?

I just got the latest update and I don't have any of that crap except Edge and that's been there since the get go. Look at the comments for that article and most people say the same.

Yeah, I didn't get that on either of my Win10 machines. Also, the title of the article is misleading, no apps were installed on the author's machine, just shortcuts to some MS web apps. There are two options in the settings for updates that any idiot can turn off that disables receiving updates for other MS products and disables automatically restarting, there is no need to edit the registry.

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 22:26:
Weird. My OS never forces a restart nor does it install anything I do not explicitly tell it to. Moreover, I don't have to go in to an anachronistic, clunky "registry" to make it do that. It does it right out of the box.

"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Oct 17, 2020, 22:39
Cutter

Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 17, 2020, 22:39
Oct 17, 2020, 22:39
 Cutter

I just got the latest update and I don't have any of that crap except Edge and that's been there since the get go. Look at the comments for that article and most people say the same.

"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Oct 17, 2020, 22:26
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 17, 2020, 22:26
Oct 17, 2020, 22:26

Weird. My OS never forces a restart nor does it install anything I do not explicitly tell it to. Moreover, I don't have to go in to an anachronistic, clunky "registry" to make it do that. It does it right out of the box.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Oct 17, 2020, 22:01
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 17, 2020, 22:01
Oct 17, 2020, 22:01

No wonder you can't find an RTX 3000 in stores, NVIDIA is dedicating more than 15,000 Ampere GPUs to this megacomputer and a few other baby supercomputers...

Oct 17, 2020, 18:27
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 17, 2020, 18:27
Oct 17, 2020, 18:27

Well... if you don't use one of the many privacy Apps out there (Of which you are crazy not to) to turn this crap off...

2. Go to the follow Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
3. Create a new key inside the Windows key. Right-click the Windows key and choose New > Hit Key. Name the new key CloudContent.
4. Create a new value inside that new key. Right-click the CloudContent key and select New > Select DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new value DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures.
5. Double-click the new DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures value to open its properties window. Change the value from 0 to 1 in the Value data box and then click OK.

Another registry entry:
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager
2. Double click or tap on SilentInstalledAppsEnabled registry value to edit it, and set its value data to 0 to disable and turn off silent apps install.

EDIT: Posted this after "J"... not defending anything... just trying to help. I Dispise Windows 10 spyware and consumer crap as much as anyone.

Cheers mate, done, I'll copy past that somewhere for future windows installs.

Oct 17, 2020, 17:49
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 17, 2020, 17:49
Oct 17, 2020, 17:49

Another registry entry:

No need to defend your post--it's a good post and it might actually help someone. Yes, indeed, and in Group Policy I have disabled automatic device-driver installations--I do it all manually. It's really amazing how powerful an OS like Win10 is when people actually take a bit of time to learn how it works--but some folks like to complain so that's what they do. I've also disabled everything I don't want running in my environment--the so-called "spyware" all has an off switch, believe it or not. It reminds me of how silly some people were a few years ago complaining about "default settings" in browser software--as if you can't change default settings, or as if it's just "too hard" to learn how things work. Some folks just love to wallow in ignorance--darned if I can figure out why. It doesn't pay.

Next it will be, "Why do I have to hit the pwr button to turn it on? Why doesn't it *know* what I want? Waaaaa...." I have no sympathy for that sort of an attitude. It gets people nowhere fast.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Oct 17, 2020, 17:32
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 17, 2020, 17:32
Oct 17, 2020, 17:32

First, blame the usual suspects that submit links like this. Wink

2nd, claim that it has never happened to you. Argue
Thirdly, exclaim that the link is click baity Furious2
forth, repeat steps one thru 3 anytime news like this is posted. Idea
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal

Oct 17, 2020, 17:26
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 17, 2020, 17:26
Oct 17, 2020, 17:26

Another registry entry:

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Oct 17, 2020, 17:21
J
Re: Microsoft just force restarted my Windows 10 PC to install more unwanted apps. Oct 17, 2020, 17:21
Oct 17, 2020, 17:21
J

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older